Okay I’m off the Ollie train | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Okay I’m off the Ollie train

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Even in the NBA the coach has to be the coach. It's even more true in college. You can be comfortable with the players, but not friends. You're their leader, not their cheerleader.
Very sad if this is true. If he is looking for consolation he needs to find it elsewhere. Admit the problem. Find an alternative solution. Change isn't painful; resistance to change is painful.

Reaction Score
I have been thinking about our predicament. I've come to the conclusion that change is coming. KO will be canned. This year may be sorta pointless. We probably should prep for another batch of transfers at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
I ask this question with sincerity. Is there a single person on here who is still on the KO train? If so, what makes you believe he can turn things around?

Reaction Score
I ask this question with sincerity. Is there a single person on here who is still on the KO train? If so, what makes you believe he can turn things around?
I think most people feel he has this season to turn it around. Meaning 20+ wins and a decent offseason showing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cincy and Central Florida are in much more fertile recruiting grounds.

In basketball? No way. The northeast is primo recruiting territory for hoops. Football, sure, they are in better places.

Reaction Score

Here's a better question is there anyone off the Ollie train? Because he will be here the remainder of the year and if you're off the train then you are obviously hoping there is no chance of this team getting better this year and instead happy they will lose out so he will be gone. No one is saying he can turn it around but most hope, unlike yourself.

Reaction Score
Here's a better question is there anyone off the Ollie train? Because he will be here the remainder of the year and if you're off the train then you are obviously hoping there is no chance of this team getting better this year and instead happy they will lose out so he will be gone. No one is saying he can turn it around but most hope, unlike yourself.
No, being off the train doesn't mean you hope he fails. It means you have no faith he will succeed and a change needs to be started. That means the AD has to, at the very least, start compiling names. If possible, he needs to start reaching out to some of them. They also need to start working on the financial and legal plans for a transition.

Reaction Score

Nearly everyone seems to be off the KO train. I am asking those who still believe KO is the right guy to turn things around what they are basing that on. Hope in itself doesn't win ballgames or make a team tournament ready come March.

If "hope" without anything to base it on is your answer, then what do you really have? Blind faith doesn't win games.

Reaction Score
Nearly everyone seems to be off the KO train. I am asking those who still believe KO is the right guy to turn things around what they are basing that on. Hope in itself doesn't win ballgames or make a team tournament ready come March.

If "hope" without anything to base it on is your answer, then what do you really have? Blind faith doesn't win games.

What can I base it on they haven't been good? I won't jump off but I won't say I'm standing in the middle of the boat (not taking the train) with ten toes and 2 feet because I certainly am not. More on the side of the boat with one leg checking the water temp, but if I jump off knowing he's still here for 24 games plus then what am I hoping for the remainder of this year? Again I'm not like you I'm not happy about the fact he looks like he can't get the job done against anyone that's not mid major and I don't have the answers why. But i'm in this with hope something changes I want these guys to win, no fun for me watching them fail so you and others can get a new coach you so strive for. Boat, wagon, train someone is always jumping off around here anyway it doesn't matter, been like that for years.

Reaction Score
No, being off the train doesn't mean you hope he fails. It means you have no faith he will succeed and a change needs to be started. That means the AD has to, at the very least, start compiling names. If possible, he needs to start reaching out to some of them. They also need to start working on the financial and legal plans for a transition.

Being off the train means you've given up on them at least that's my 2 cents. I can't do that. Do I have faith he can get it done, hell no how could I after this 1 1/2 day debacle? But I'm in it until he's not, I know that offends many but oh well just me.

Reaction Score
I am not happy that KO can't get the job done. But I am realistic in realizing that there are other coaches out there who would give UConn a much better chance of being relevant on the national landscape.

I would have been thrilled if this former UConn player had been the right guy to coach the program for decades, but sadly he is not. What we are seeing on the court and what has transpired behind the scenes is not at all encouraging. There is a toxicity to the program now that you don't seem to grasp, and things will not improve until fundamental changes are made.

Despite your accusations, I never wanted Ollie to fail. But now that it is abundantly clear that he is not the right guy for the job, a coaching change needs to be made this coming off season.

I still want UConn to win every time they take the floor. But I also realize that wins against cupcakes are less telling than getting beat by 20 or 35 points against good teams is.

Reaction Score
No shooters, lousy D, poor offensive sets equals disaster. Unfortunately, we need a change to someone who understands how the game has changed. If KO,was hired by Warde he would be gone today. I can't believe how he has screwed this up. This is Diaco like.

Reaction Score
In basketball? No way. The northeast is primo recruiting territory for hoops. Football, sure, they are in better places.
Agreed. Cincy, fertile ground? They plucked Cane Broome from our backyard at SHU.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I'm not sure that follows. I never wanted him to be hired, but once he was, I wanted him to succeed. I still want him to succeed. I hope the team wins out and I am forced to proclaim him a genius from a mountaintop. Being off the train means that I no longer think he will succeed. I don't think he's the best choice as our coach of the future. But I'm certainly not happy about that, or hoping for the team to lose any games.

I don't think they will have any game as bad as yesterday the rest of the year. They will be much better. I just don't think he's the guy to run the program. Something is clearly wrong.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I don't know that I BELIEVE he will, but I'm not 100% off the train yet.

I think yesterday felt to me like it did to many: Same crap we thought was done. If it's not, that's an awful sign. But I'm waiting to see how THIS team reacts, responds, gels, etc.

Again, yesterday was a brutal showing and serious evidence that not enough has changed. But I'm still hanging on, mostly bc I think this entire year is the only fair way to analyze him and the program's progress.

Reaction Score
And we were a brimah and 1 away from losing the st joes game. I support Ollie, and like him a lot, but I’m slowly turning against him.

Hey Einstein -- most national championship teams played at least one game on the way there that could have gone either way. The year that made Jimmy V, he took double OT to beat Pepperdine in the first or second round. You have just not taken a shot at KO -- you've devalued pretty much every championship that has ever been won.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
How often do we ever see a coach that's on the hot seat (in any sport) turn things around and completely cement themselves? Not often at all. When it's time, it's time.
Especially when the already downward trajectory over the past three seasons continues to trend red despite clearly being on a warm seat. The problems we are seeing on the court, and many have been clamoring about for some time now, typically don't clear up with the snap of a finger and there really isn't a realistic timetable left for heroics from the staff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom