Okay I’m off the Ollie train | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Okay I’m off the Ollie train

Reaction Score
And yet we recruit better than every team in the conference every year. It's coaching, not recruiting.

Not to mention we just lost by 35 to a team without an 5 stars on its roster (we have 2).

Reaction Score
JC is still an "advisor" through next march.

Has he just stood back because it's KO's program now?
Has KO not taken advantage of JC being an advisor?
Did JC try to help but was rebuffed/ignored by Ollie?

Maybe the extent of his advisory capacity is shaking hands and smiling for pics with big donors, but that said, JC hand-picked this guy and the program he built and its legacy are at stake here.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
How often do we ever see a coach that's on the hot seat (in any sport) turn things around and completely cement themselves? Not often at all. When it's time, it's time.
Coughlin.

Reaction Score
JC is still an "advisor" through next march.

Has he just stood back because it's KO's program now?
Has KO not taken advantage of JC being an advisor?
Did JC try to help but was rebuffed/ignored by Ollie?

Maybe the extent of his advisory capacity is shaking hands and smiling for pics with big donors, but that said, JC hand-picked this guy and the program he built and its legacy are at stake here.
Their relationship has soured. They don't dislike each other or anything but the relationship is nothing like it used to be and Ollie has let Calhoun know it's his program.

Reaction Score
Man I was so hard on Miller. Called for his head for about a year or so due to the lack of development of bigs. Wasn't until after his firing that I became aware he was the man behind the gameplans for our 2014 run. Also had no clue he was offering up alternatives to Ollie and this putrid "offense" to which Ollie scoffed at and chose to run his own.
I believe I've heard that it was Miller behind the 2014 runs (Shabazz said it I think). Where'd you hear that he was offering up alternative offenses? Wish Ollie had taken Miller's advice were that true.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that follows. I never wanted him to be hired, but once he was, I wanted him to succeed. I still want him to succeed. I hope the team wins out and I am forced to proclaim him a genius from a mountaintop. Being off the train means that I no longer think he will succeed. I don't think he's the best choice as our coach of the future. But I'm certainly not happy about that, or hoping for the team to lose any games.

I don't think they will have any game as bad as yesterday the rest of the year. They will be much better. I just don't think he's the guy to run the program. Something is clearly wrong.

I don't believe you are, but there are some I have no doubt. I am as frustrated with KO as any after yesterday and if he can't prove to be able to get some positive momentum I will be on the boat or train or all of the above. The Bandwagon too. Yesterday was appalling period as a UConn fan and the response verbally after fairly unacceptable. If he doesn't get it then he needs to go. The one thing I knew or at least thought I knew, was he could motivate this team and at least have them competing for 40 minutes now I have my doubts. Tom to prove me and so many others wrong and my confidence in that is nil.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't believe you are, but there are some I have no doubt. I am as frustrated with KO as any after yesterday and if he can't prove to be able to get some positive momentum I will be on the boat or train or all of the above. The Bandwagon too. Yesterday was appalling period as a UConn fan and the response verbally after fairly unacceptable. If he doesn't get it then he needs to go. The one thing I knew or at least though I knew, was he could motivate this team and at least have them competing for 40 minutes now I have my doubts. Tom to prove e and so many others wrong and my confidence in that is nil.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the response. Both in game and post game, it's so "ho hum, what can you do?" Contrast that with what Edsall is doing and saying. Changing the two deep every week, demoting the guys who aren't busting it out there. Calling one of the solutions "recruitment" to light a fire under them. Constantly looking forward and taking ownership of what fails. It's leadership. Kevin Ollie doesn't display any. That is what concerns me most.

Based on his offseason comments, I thought or hoped he (a) had dealt with his personal issues and demons and (b) was ready to be 100% committed as the coach of this team. Did not get that feeling these last two games. He seemed to be about as concerned about the Arkansas game as I was when losing drunken midnight intramural games at UConn, and less concerned than I was when coaching 6th grade girls.

Reaction Score
Didn't Ollie kind of say he got rid of the "bad apples" a few months ago and now he had all his guys....So, now that he is with "his guys", the guys he wants for HIS system, we should be expecting more. Time to turn it around is growing short...

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Mau, hope springs eternal and I will hope it turns around. But I won't argue his case anymore and I stopped expecting him to succeed.
While I am off the Ollie train, I am not on the opposition train.

Reaction Score
Mau, hope springs eternal and I will hope it turns around. But I won't argue his case anymore and I stopped expecting him to succeed.
While I am off the Ollie train, I am not on the opposition train.

Hope you're not tied up on the tracks, KO might be though soon by a few unnamed posters. :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom