Okay I’m off the Ollie train | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Okay I’m off the Ollie train

Reaction Score
I'm in no way defending Ollie as far as the job he's doing right now by saying this, but:

I hate the take about him just sitting there in the games. I've coached a lot of games and played a lot, and sometimes that's something you have to do. People sort of assume that means he's not trying to coach them.

If you do things in practice, and harp on them time and again, sometimes in games while the players AREN'T doing them, you sit there, let them play how they want, get torched, and then in film session you point out how YOUR way is what works.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes on the sidelines, he absolutely should rip into a guy. But a lot of times, you literally can't just keep repeating the same thing. You sit there, let them bask in getting pummeled by playing crappy, then reevaluate next practice.

Him screaming down 30 at a crap shot isn't going to do much.
Seriously. Anyone who has coached knows this is a silly complaint. We as fans see at best 25% of anything a coach is doing. AT BEST.

Reaction Score
I’ve heard some pretty wild stuff from I think mostly reputable people for a while now. I wouldn’t drag it through the board, but a few folks have DM’d me to the point where I know I’m not the only guy on the board hearing this stuff.
I've heard the same from a bunch of people. Thought it had gotten better this offseason but... perhaps not.

Anyway, there's a reason we have to re-recruit our guys every year, and it's not because of the assistants.
Woof. Unencouraging.

Strange, given what he's done with players like Napier, Boat, Daniels, Giffey. But that word becomes a problem even if it's not true, or only partially.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I’ve heard some pretty wild stuff from I think mostly reputable people for a while now. I wouldn’t drag it through the board, but a few folks have DM’d me to the point where I know I’m not the only guy on the board hearing this stuff.
Would it be fair to say the problems with the program are internal, and not the type of stuff that would matter to the ncaa?

Reaction Score
I don't care about the body language. I care about a team that looks lost and can't hit open shots. I'm also concerned to a lesser extent that the refs hate us. Arkansas is not 20-30-40 pts better than us talentwise. KO has never shown he can get best out of us offensively.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would it be fair to say the problems with the program are internal, and not the type of stuff that would matter to the ncaa?

371, member: 168"]Woof. Unencouraging.

Strange, given what he's done with players like Napier, Boat, Daniels, Giffey. But that word becomes a problem even if it's not true, or only partially.[/QUOTE]

Yeah No NCAA stuff I’m aware of but issues with professionalism, etc. Personal issues leaking in too.

Like I said - a lot of he said, she said gossipy stuff. Absolutely awful for the program but not NCAA level stuff. I don’t think at least.

Reaction Score
If true it's amazing that a guy who had a great reputation in the NBA for his professionalism could devolve into something like this. Hell, didn't Durant credit KO for teaching him how to be a pro? Sounds like a very toxic situation.

Reaction Score
371, member: 168"]Woof. Unencouraging.

Strange, given what he's done with players like Napier, Boat, Daniels, Giffey. But that word becomes a problem even if it's not true, or only partially.

Yeah No NCAA stuff I’m aware of but issues with professionalism, etc. Personal issues leaking in too.

Like I said - a lot of he said, she said gossipy stuff. Absolutely awful for the program but not NCAA level stuff. I don’t think at least.[/QUOTE]
I have heard nothing regarding NCAA rules. Much more personal and locker room crap like you've said.

Reaction Score
If true it's amazing that a guy who had a great reputation in the NBA for his professionalism could devolve into something like this. Hell, didn't Durant credit KO for teaching him how to be a pro? Sounds like a very toxic situation.

I’ve had it described to me as that he has a hard time not being “a player/peer with lots of seniority” when he needs to be a coach. In the NBA that line can be blurry because coaches are peers. That’s not the case in college.

Reaction Score
Uconn is not a nba prep school even though that's Ollie's offense. Nba prep is Duke and Ketucky. We don't get nba talent so don't run nba sets. We need a coach who can run college offense sets. Ollie is not that guy. I am in Oregon and had second row seats. I saw up close that we did nothing. Let Ollie coach the rest of the year and then say good bye. Adams and Larrier are not ready for the next level. Not even close.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
And yet the same people who freak out and call out those of us who are critical of Ollie had no problem saying nasty things about Ollie's ex-wife, Vance, Enoch, and Durham.

You think the Ollie stuff means there was nothing wrong on those three players' end?

Reaction Score

if this is all true, has it made its way up to the AD?

Reaction Score
You think the Ollie stuff means there was nothing wrong on those three players' end?
Everyone wants to rationalize, but were those guys (and MAL) that different from the thousands of other kids playing D1 hoops? Maybe VJ with his dad, but not the other guys. Bottom line is KO lost 3 out of 6 players (injured guys don’t transfer and sit out 2 straight years) plus his top recruit. There’s a stink around this program and everyone knows it.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Everyone wants to rationalize, but were those guys (and MAL) that different from the thousands of other kids playing D1 hoops? Maybe VJ with his dad, but not the other guys. Bottom line is KO lost 3 out of 6 players (injured guys don’t transfer and sit out 2 straight years) plus his top recruit. There’s a stink around this program and everyone knows it.

I saw other freshman who weren't even part of his position group directing VJ where to stand in their defensive sets multiple times late in the season.

The legitimate factors contributing to the stink don't excuse lack of effort and poor attitude on the part of some of the players who left.

Reaction Score
What do you mean by wrong on their end? They didn't believe in him and didn't want to play for him anymore.
You don’t understand. It was VJ’s dad, SE didn’t want to play defense, JD wanted to be closer to Tampa so he went to South Bend and MAL wanted to play right away and didn’t want to sit behind CV. Now move along, nothing to see here.

Reaction Score
What do you mean by wrong on their end? They didn't believe in him and didn't want to play for him anymore.
Maybe.

Maybe they didn't want to play with Jalen, AG, and Larrier who either by Ollie's design or complacency, are playing extremely selfish basketball.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

So you're saying they all had great attitudes and put in lots of time conditioning and working on their games?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You don’t understand. It was VJ’s dad, SE didn’t want to play defense, JD wanted to be closer to Tampa so he went to South Bend and MAL wanted to play right away and didn’t want to sit behind CV. Now move along, nothing to see here.

VJ, probably. The others, no those are dumb BS reasons you're making up. Based on performance throughout the year I find it reasonable to question effort among them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom