Official Bracket Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Official Bracket Thread

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You are looking at it from UConn(fans) point of view. This has nothing to do with UConn. It is all about the injustice to USF. As you have illustrated, USF's reward for surviving the difficult task above is to face UConn. Not the final four, but UConn. That's the point. Don't you think USF chances of making it to the final four from another region is higher? Two #1 seeds did not make it to the final four last year from the other regions. Ask Jose in which region he would prefer to be in.
USF is a 6 seed in the region and is in the 21-24 seeding range. They weren’t going to ANY FINAL FOUR FROM ANY REGION. Besides beating an underachieving OSU at home, who did they play and beat? Even as the 6 seed they are on the other side of the bracket and have to beat #3 FSU in Tallahassee AND #2 SC in Albany before potentially facing UConn. Now let’s review other brackets 2/3’s
KC is Texas/UCLA
Lex is Baylor/Tenn
Spok is Oregon/OSU
So just which set is easiest to get to play against the #1 seed? Maybe the Albany region but otherwise in no region would USF get to a regional final, let alone a FF.

Reaction Score
Of the 213 posts on this thread, only a few have come close to pointing out what I think is the salient fact for UConn fans: UConn cannot face more than one of the BIG Troika of Mississippi State / Baylor / Texas, and then only in the Final game.

Everyone (even Geno) seemed to agree that the teams with major size (mainly those three) would be the biggest threat to UConn’s chances. Now, with this bracket, at least two of those three will be eliminated before UConn can possibly play them.

The biggest and strongest player that UConn will have to face before the final game is A’ja Wilson, and while she is certainly deserving of being the Player of the Year and the probably #1 draft choice for the WNBA, she is NOT the biggest or strongest player in the field, and UConn has became fairly accustomed to facing her. Moreover, I don’t think she has the guard play around her that any of the three above-mentioned teams have around their bigs, which should make it easier for UConn to beat the Gamecocks yet again.

If UConn comes out of Albany with the Husky still growling, their semifinal game is likely to be against either Notre Dame or Oregon. They are both very good teams, but not as intimidating as those mentioned above. UConn knows how to play those games against those kinds of teams, and (since about 2013) has nearly always been successful.

UConn might have had to win its NC this year by playing Texas, Baylor, and Mississippi State in succession. This bracket removes that possibility entirely.

Obviously, I think the bracket is very favorable to UConn’s chances for an NC.

From one Pgh guy to another...you are spot on here.

Reaction Score
Odds have been posted on Conn to win tournament -530 to win 100 +350 for 100 for field
Sportsbetdot com

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
MSU handled them pretty easily from the tip in Knoxville. If they get to Baylor I doubt it will be pretty for UT.
I think Oregon St brings their Orange and beat the LVs who have their own Oregon flavor going with 3 players from that state in their roster. Rueck vs. Holly in a chess match...really? I know who my money is on.:rolleyes:

Oregon St vs. BU would be very interesting.....

Reaction Score
She thought ... "Gabby Williams AGAIN!!! What the heck...no respect for me...after all I was the pre-ordained Player of the Year."
So I guess with Gabby's superiority to Aja, She will play her one on one with no double teams necessary. I can't wait for round 2

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This is ABSURD! The selection committee is now just being blatant about their will for UConn to lose.

So who did you want as a #2 seed? Texas? Baylor? Oregon? Elon? Don't be afraid. S.Car. U has been beaten and will be beat by UCONN. :cool:

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Overall thoughts on the bracket....I thought the committee overall did a good job. A couple random thoughts/pointers:

1. I didn't see the interview with Dawn, but if she claims she's upset that she didn't get a better 2 seed location it's clearly a cover that she's upset she was put in UCONN's bracket, plain and simple.

2. Aside from the fact that UCONN is essentially a shoe-in for their 11th straight Final Four, I think their bracket has some great potential match ups. This will potentially be the 3rd time in 4 years that Florida State and South Carolina meet in the regionals, both ending up as close wins for South Carolina. I wouldn't be surprised if the tide turns in Florida State's favor, but I have a hard time imaging Wilson doesn't will her team to victory in that match up. USF/FSU could be an interesting game too. I also think the Duke/Belmont/Georgia subregional is pretty intriguing.

3. Louisville has by far the most dangerous regional. Potential Sweet 16 matchup against Stanford is terrifying if I'm Jeff Walz. Tara might be the best game planner in the business and has worked magic the past 2 years against Notre Dame. She has the players and talent to knock off Louisville if they can slow down Durr. If they make it to the Elite 8, they likely face Baylor which would be a rematch from 2013 and from 2017. 2013's matchup was the miracle win over Griner/Sims, and 2017 was a straight up beat down by Baylor over Louisville. I'd love to see another battle between these two. Louisville has the horses to beat Baylor if Hines-Allen and Fuerhing can slow down Cox/Brown, but my money would be on Baylor. Baylor may also have a chance to avenge their 2016 Elite 8 loss if they play Oregon State in the Sweet 16. Other matchups to watch for are Oregon State/Tennessee in the 2nd round and Stanford/Mizzou in the 2nd round. Individually, Russell/Gulich vs. Brown in the Sweet 16 could be a fun matchup.

4. Notre Dame caught a HUGE break by landing a 1 seed and avoiding Baylor. I'm not complaining since I generally like ND, but they're lucky. Oregon is no slouch, but I like Notre Dame in a matchup between the two. I'd love to see Oregon play Ohio State in the Sweet 16, and see Oregon play Green Bay in the 2nd round. I would not be surprised if Ohio State is upset by LSU in the 2nd round.

5. Mississippi State, deservedly so, has a great bracket. Texas is an interesting potential Elite 8 foe, but I like UCLA over Texas if they play in the Sweet 16. Billings vs. Gustafson should be a great 2nd round matchup.

6. Likely Final Four match ups include Notre Dame vs. Connecticut, Mississippi State vs. Baylor, or Mississippi State vs. Louisville. This would be the most intriguing Final Four in years (IMO) if we get some of these. Connecticut would still be the obvious favorite, but they've shown to be vulnerable at points this year and Notre Dame/Louisville/Mississippi State/Baylor have all been fantastic this year. If I'm a UCONN fan, I'd be more nervous playing Baylor, Notre Dame or Mississippi State than I have been entering a Final Four since 2013. The last 4 years I've thought it's a going to take somewhat of a miracle to upset UCONN, but I don't feel that way about this season.

My early predictions are:
Sweet 16:
Connecticut beats Duke
South Carolina beats FSU

Notre Dame beats A&M
Oregon beats LSU

Mississippi State beats NC State
UCLA beats Texas

Louisville beats Stanford
Baylor beats Oregon State

Elite 8:
Connecticut beats South Carolina
Notre Dame beats Oregon
Mississippi State beats UCLA
Baylor beats Louisville

Final Four:
Connecticut beats Notre Dame (this would be a heck of a rematch)
Mississippi State beats Baylor (another potentially epic game)

Title:
Connecticut beats Mississippi State (another incredible matchup

Should be fun! Can't wait for this weekend when everything gets going.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
No Lexington? I mean the three years it's been there SC (the best team in the SEC for the past 5 years) has been sent elsewhere. I know I'm getting a lot of grief from fans for "whining" about our placement but I really just want an explanation.
The Lexington Bracket has the #3 overall seed in Louisville and Baylor is #5, Oregon #6, not sure if Texas or SC was 7 with the other being #8. As Oregon is closest to Spokane, they get that spot vs. #4 overall ND, even thought they should be in Lexington as #6, so they swap with Baylor, any other swapping would be a further disservice to either UConn or MSU as the top 2 seeds.
I am not going to say it’s fair that SC has had to do so much travel especially compared to other top teams but this year and last year Dawn and the contingent can’t really complain so much.

Reaction Score
USF is a 6 seed in the region and is in the 21-24 seeding range. They weren’t going to ANY FINAL FOUR FROM ANY REGION. Besides beating an underachieving OSU at home, who did they play and beat? Even as the 6 seed they are on the other side of the bracket and have to beat #3 FSU in Tallahassee AND #2 SC in Albany before potentially facing UConn. Now let’s review other brackets 2/3’s
KC is Texas/UCLA
Lex is Baylor/Tenn
Spok is Oregon/OSU
So just which set is easiest to get to play against the #1 seed? Maybe the Albany region but otherwise in no region would USF get to a regional final, let alone a FF.
USF not going to "any final four from any region" is your opinion not a fact. Injuries can happen. Uncharacteristic hot/poor shooting can happen. Poor officiating can happen. That is why they play. The point, and to answer your question, is any region besides UConn's. IOW, USF would be happier having to face any of the teams above, for the chance to play the number one seed (assuming they get by the #4 seed). Upset's are rare in the women's tournament, but if last year was any indication, it might be changing.

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
Why is it that, after having watched this selection process for over a decade, I've never come across a post on any fan board that says: "Wow, the selection committee loves us!" Instead, it is always: "the committee hates us", "the committee is biased against us", or "the committee screwed us again".

I understand some fans are homers, but at least be intelligent homers. The NCAA selection committee couldn't possibly have so much hate to spread around.

So, please allow me to declare: the committee loves UCONN; we are overall first seed again; and the second seed in the region is a team we thoroughly whopped in a game with their star player in attendance.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong but at the beginning of season OHIO st and Oregon were both top 4? So both have underachieved if so LOL Kinda like how my Bruins have underachieved for 4 years, so c'mon prove me wrong!
Huh? Oregon was #11 in both preseason polls. Ohio State was #5/#8 so yes the Buckeyes underachieved a bit.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I am rooting for Suzie Gardner and Mercer against Georgia. I think she got treated badly at Arkansas and am so happy for her that she has resurfaced with a team that is playing very well right now. I hope her Bears can give Georgia a good game.
Georgia beat Mercer handily back in November, and Georgia wasn't even playing that well back then. They got crushed at home by Texas right before Texas pooped their pants in Knoxville.

Reaction Score
I think Oregon St brings their Orange and beat the LVs who have their own Oregon flavor going with 3 players from that state in their roster. Rueck vs. Holly in a chess match...really? I know who my money is on.:rolleyes:

Oregon St vs. BU would be very interesting.....
Been waiting for someone to comment. Thanks DefenseBB

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Ironic that Staley is basically complaining about "geography" and her team not getting to play close to home, when it's "geography" that messed up the bracket for other teams (like Baylor). Oregon going to Spokane, WA is all about geography. This is where Baylor should have gone, IMO, based on the S-curve. If the committee doesn't make sending Oregon to Spokane a top priority, you get:

UConn / Texas
Miss. State / Oregon
Louisville / South Carolina
Notre Dame / Baylor

Will be very curious to see how many Oregon fans actually travel to the regional.

Reaction Score
Of the 213 posts on this thread, only a few have come close to pointing out what I think is the salient fact for UConn fans: UConn cannot face more than one of the BIG Troika of Mississippi State / Baylor / Texas, and then only in the Final game.

Everyone (even Geno) seemed to agree that the teams with major size (mainly those three) would be the biggest threat to UConn’s chances. Now, with this bracket, at least two of those three will be eliminated before UConn can possibly play them.

The biggest and strongest player that UConn will have to face before the final game is A’ja Wilson, and while she is certainly deserving of being the Player of the Year and the probably #1 draft choice for the WNBA, she is NOT the biggest or strongest player in the field, and UConn has became fairly accustomed to facing her. Moreover, I don’t think she has the guard play around her that any of the three above-mentioned teams have around their bigs, which should make it easier for UConn to beat the Gamecocks yet again.

If UConn comes out of Albany with the Husky still growling, their semifinal game is likely to be against either Notre Dame or Oregon. They are both very good teams, but not as intimidating as those mentioned above. UConn knows how to play those games against those kinds of teams, and (since about 2013) has nearly always been successful.

UConn might have had to win its NC this year by playing Texas, Baylor, and Mississippi State in succession. This bracket removes that possibility entirely.

Obviously, I think the bracket is very favorable to UConn’s chances for an NC.

I agree with everything posted above except for the claim that neither Notre Dame or Oregon is as intimidating as MS, Baylor or Texas. I think they are balanced and play smart, team ball and, as such, present significant threats.

Reaction Score
No they hate us because they're always screwing us over. Please be for real. 2016 sent to Souix Falls, 2017 sent to Stockton, 2018 sent to Albany. It's mind boggling when they say they're trying to "grow the sport" but doesn't allow the only team who averages 10,000 fans per game to support?? I'm sure someone like you wouldn't understand when the NCAA practically kisses Muffett's rear end.
Where were your fans in Nashville?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom