Official Bracket Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Official Bracket Thread

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
When that question was asked during the Bracket reveal, I immediately thought it must have come from one of the posters here on The Boneyard. And you're right: the Chair never answered the question of why USF was placed in UCONN's region.
Oh, USF vs. SF which I confused with SC or St.Francis. @scubadog you need to use the correct vernacular when referencing schools...again, I don't understand all the angst on this board about USF being placed in the Albany region as #6 seed. I guess eventually Jose will make it to a sweet 16 but until he's regularly in the top 16 nationally ranked, this discussion is kind of moot. I mean, why should the committee be concerned over this vs. even SC's comments as a more relevant program and defending NC getting sent to Albany?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Then there was discussion as to bracket imbalance regarding Baylor and Miss. St. , but swapping sites between SC and Texas was never even brought up ! SC could have been sent to Kansa City, with Texas placed in Albany. How that would have created an imbalance is totally beyond me.
Swapping South Carolina and Texas (to take the Gamecocks to KC and send the Longhorns to Albany) would not have been permitted as long as Mississippi State was the #1 seed in KC, since conference rivals on the top 4 seeding lines are not permitted to be in the same region. The only exception is if there are more than 4 teams from one conference with a #1 through #4 seed, and that was not the case here.

Reaction Score
Swapping South Carolina and Texas (to take the Gamecocks to KC and send the Longhorns to Albany) would not have been permitted as long as Mississippi State was the #1 seed in KC, since conference rivals on the top 4 seeding lines are not permitted to be in the same region. The only exception is if there are more than 4 teams from one conference with a #1 through #4 seed, and that was not the case here.
Sorry, never heard that explanation last night. :)

Reaction Score
I've complained in the past about UCONN's bracket, but I think this year's is fair. Of course, they gave Louisville a poor deal in order to advantage Muffet. I also think the committee might have figured out that if ND has any chance, they have to play UCONN in the semifinal. Because we do not lose championship games.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Check the score go to bathroom then recheck the score and go back to bed,game over!LOL

I'm twice retired, now I hope you're not implying that I stay that long in the bathroom, although my wife might tend to agree with you. Once I wake up, I stay up, it's a military thing I guess. I always watch the whole game when it comes to UConn, there is something about them that reminds me of my basic training. You drill and drill till you get it right, then you drill some more!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Four ACC schools in one region. Looks like they could have spread it out a little more.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Four ACC schools in one region. Looks like they could have spread it out a little more.

They must have watched the men's bracket and decided it was okay!

(NC State, Duke, Clemson and Syracuse are all in the Midwest bracket of the men's tournament).

Reaction Score
Best bracket advice:

The whole video is pretty funny but this part feels good!

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Huh? Oregon was #11 in both preseason polls. Ohio State was #5/#8 so yes the Buckeyes underachieved a bit.
You're right Plebe there was someone who had them at 4 going to the final four probably an analyst but I see they got to 6 then were beat by Stanford. The OSUs were definitely up and down this year.

Reaction Score
Oh stop! SC lost six games! If they wanted to be a #1 seed they lost at least three too many games. Just because SC is the defending NC and has a big fan base doesn’t give them special props in terms of the bracket. A couple of years back UConn was sent to Lincoln despite being the overall #1 seed. They won the NC that year anyway. Baylor lost one game and is a #2 seed. So there.

Yes, South Carolina won the national championship last year out of Stockton, California. It was pleasant.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Did you get a chance to hear Dawn's comments on her placement in the brackets...if so what are your thoughts?

I did. I think she makes a valid point. Dawn is a leader of a big flock and as a coach, she wants that flock to have an opportunity to follow her.

A few people have tried to whittle this down to Dawn just not wanting to play UConn when that’s not the case at all.. Dawn has been advocating for how she feels her fans have been handicapped the last few years and that was even with a bracket that avoided UConn. The past few years, she probably feels like the bracket was made in order for ND fans to get to games. This year, it’s clear the bracket was made to get Oregon fans to games... so she feels slighted, and I understand that. So she’s thinking, “when is our turn?”. Not sure what Oregon has done to deserve this preferential treatment (they don’t have a single win as good SC’s win over MSU) but that’s a topic for another thread..

The NCAA tournament is what it is.. no matter who you are, the moment that bracket is announced with your name in it you’re destined to play teams that COULD or SHOULD beat you. As a team, your responsibility is to do whatever you can on the court to control that outcome.

Every time Dawn stepped in front of a media mic this season (in particular) she was coaching. She’s placing the chip on this team’s shoulder. She wants them to feel disrespected, disregarded and vengeful. Young people are motivated by opposition. She knows how to push the buttons of her team. Most good coaches do.

Reaction Score
Ironic that Staley is basically complaining about "geography" and her team not getting to play close to home, when it's "geography" that messed up the bracket for other teams (like Baylor). Oregon going to Spokane, WA is all about geography. This is where Baylor should have gone, IMO, based on the S-curve. If the committee doesn't make sending Oregon to Spokane a top priority, you get:

UConn / Texas
Miss. State / Oregon
Louisville / South Carolina
Notre Dame / Baylor

Will be very curious to see how many Oregon fans actually travel to the regional.

Given how many adjustments are made to the seeding, it's pretty clear that S-Curve isn't a particularly important matrix for the NCAA.

Sure, they didn't want Oregon to have to travel too far as a #2 seed. That's reasonable. Sort of like it would have been reasonable not to want South Carolina to travel to Stockton, CA or Sioux Falls, SD or Stanford, CA for that matter.

We're just general purpose bitching. We'll go where we are sent, but we've been 2,000 miles away from home three of the last four years. We have a lot of fans who might appreciate being placed close to home occasionally.

Reaction Score
Yes, once the committee decided to keep Oregon in Spokane, the die was cast for the rest of the #2 seeds.

The South Carolina folk (not all, but many) have made their moaning a yearly ritual. I'm still convinced that two years ago, when their grousing veered into downright insulting comments about South Dakota, their Sweet 16 loss to Syracuse was a direct result of bad karma.

Can't insult South Dakota. the spirits don't like that.

Reaction Score
Last night there was a discussion questioning SF in the Albany region. The spokeswoman said the rules did not prohibit this. However, the question that was never answered was " why " did they place SF in that region . So, the " real " question was never addressed . Then there was discussion as to bracket imbalance regarding Baylor and Miss. St. , but swapping sites between SC and Texas was never even brought up ! SC could have been sent to Kansa City, with Texas placed in Albany. How that would have created an imbalance is totally beyond me.
Albany is 883 miles from Columbia, SC. Kansas City is 993 miles away. That would place a greater burden on Dawn's fans. Although there might be tickets available in Kansas City.:p

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Maybe Dawn just doesn't understand how seeding and the bracket works, and just likes to complain or herself speak (ever season).

Back in 2016, Crème had South Carolina slated for the Lexington regional. But, it never made sense to me as to why the committee would place SC in Lexington, and send Kentucky elsewhere. Let's be honest, even though Rupp Arena is the home the men's team, and UK women play in Memorial Coliseum, that is clearly the city of the university as a whole. The only way the local fans were gonna turn out for a women's hoops regional was if Kentucky was one of the four teams placed there. So, Dawn can blame Notre Dame, but that committee's rationale was all about keeping Kentucky at home in Lexington. So, SC had to go elsewhere as two SEC teams weren't allowed to be in the same region.

As for the 2017 bracket, how can any SC fan complain (today) about being sent to Stockton, CA when it resulted in a national championship? You can't claim that the end result would have been the same had you been sent closer to home; any single variable could have led to SC not being the national championship if the bracket was different.

With this year's bracket, the committee gave Oregon preferential geographic treatment; no two ways about it. What the committee could have done was take the highest #2 seed (Baylor), and place them closest to home (Kansas City) or with the fourth-ranked #1 seed (Notre Dame). They did neither. That had a trickle down effect and impacted Louisville, Baylor, and South Carolina the most.

Reaction Score
Maybe Dawn just doesn't understand how seeding and the bracket works, and just likes to complain or herself speak (ever season).

Back in 2016, Crème had South Carolina slated for the Lexington regional. But, it never made sense to me as to why the committee would place SC in Lexington, and send Kentucky elsewhere. Let's be honest, even though Rupp Arena is the home the men's team, and UK women play in Memorial Coliseum, that is clearly the city of the university as a whole. The only way the local fans were gonna turn out for a women's hoops regional was if Kentucky was one of the four teams placed there. So, Dawn can blame Notre Dame, but that committee's rationale was all about keeping Kentucky at home in Lexington. So, SC had to go elsewhere as two SEC teams weren't allowed to be in the same region.

As for the 2017 bracket, how can any SC fan complain (today) about being sent to Stockton, CA when it resulted in a national championship? You can't claim that the end result would have been the same had you been sent closer to home; any single variable could have led to SC not being the national championship if the bracket was different.

With this year's bracket, the committee gave Oregon preferential geographic treatment; no two ways about it. What the committee could have done was take the highest #2 seed (Baylor), and place them closest to home (Kansas City) or with the fourth-ranked #1 seed (Notre Dame). They did neither. That had a trickle down effect and impacted Louisville, Baylor, and South Carolina the most.

The complaint isn't that it is unfair for competition, it is that it is inconvenient and repeated.
Go figure, fans would actually like the opportunity to see their team in person.

You don't think its a little absurd that the NCAA would bend its bracket around letting the #4 seed play on its home court?

The whole purpose of having "neutral sites" was that coaches did not want to play on other team's home floors in front of hostile crowds. How fair was it that a 4 seed that had earned nothing got to stay home?

I mean it really doesn't matter that much, but it makes no sense.

Can I assume that the entire bracket next year is going to be bent towards getting South Carolina into Greenville, no matter what the seeding?

That's a lot better proposition for attendance than putting UK in Lexington, but there you go.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
The complaint isn't that it is unfair for competition, it is that it is inconvenient and repeated.
Go figure, fans would actually like the opportunity to see their team in person.

You don't think its a little absurd that the NCAA would bend its bracket around letting the #4 seed play on its home court?
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but do you not understand how NCAA women's tourneys (in all sports) work? There are no such things as "neutral" sites. If that's what the committee wanted, they wouldn't be selecting CT and NY every other season, nor have given Kentucky three consecutive regionals.

So, as far as Lexington is concerned, the committee's first priority was always going to be to seed Kentucky in the region, and "fit" the other teams around UK's seed. So, that basically prohibits all other SEC teams from being in the Lexington regional unless UK failed to be seeded or make the field (which was the case this season). I think it came down to Tennessee or Ohio State being the #3 seed in Lexington, and the Lady Vols' fan base made it an easy choice.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Can I assume that the entire bracket next year is going to be bent towards getting South Carolina into Greenville, no matter what the seeding?

That's a lot better proposition for attendance than putting UK in Lexington, but there you go.
Yes, assuming they are a Top 16 seed. The only teams who could mess that up for SC would be Georgia or Tennessee.

And, I believe Portland, OR was given 2 or 3 regionals beginning next season. No doubt that's to place rising Oregon or Oregon State there each time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No Lexington? I mean the three years it's been there SC (the best team in the SEC for the past 5 years) has been sent elsewhere. I know I'm getting a lot of grief from fans for "whining" about our placement but I really just want an explanation.
Yes I think they have had a rough time over the last few years with their placement in the tournament. And yes they are and have been the SEC champs for quite a few years in a row.
But they have lost SIX games. They got whooped in the loss to U Conn. They couldn't possibly be higher than the #7 overall team, and that would have been quite a reach. As stated here and I'm sure numerous other places they weren't going to be put into same region as MS.
So would you be happier if they were a #3 seed in some region.
Yes they clearly won the NC but they've yet to demonstrate they are truly a top program on a consistent basis.
That's my answer and probably not one you will like.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but do you not understand how NCAA women's tourneys (in all sports) work? There are no such things as "neutral" sites. If that's what the committee wanted, they wouldn't be selecting CT and NY every other season, nor have given Kentucky three consecutive regionals.

So, as far as Lexington is concerned, the committee's first priority was always going to be to seed Kentucky in the region, and "fit" the other teams around UK's seed. So, that basically prohibits all other SEC teams from being in the Lexington regional unless UK failed to be seeded or make the field (which was the case this season). I think it came down to Tennessee or Ohio State being the #3 seed in Lexington, and the Lady Vols' fan base made it an easy choice.

Do you know what the phrase "neutral site" means? Just asking. It doesn't seem like you do.

I think most people define "neutral site" as a game played at a venue that is not the home stadium of either team. You know that the men's tournament, I believe, expressly prohibits teams from playing on their home floor if it is a regional site?

Out of curiosity is it that you know the Committee's #1 priority was to seed #4 Kentucky in Lexington. Do you think that's a good idea? rewarding a #4 seed with home court through the Final Four?

Reaction Score
Yes I think they have had a rough time over the last few years with their placement in the tournament. And yes they are and have been the SEC champs for quite a few years in a row.
But they have lost SIX games. They got whooped in the loss to U Conn. They couldn't possibly be higher than the #7 overall team, and that would have been quite a reach. As stated here and I'm sure numerous other places they weren't going to be put into same region as MS.
Yes they clearly won the NC but they've yet to demonstrate they are truly a top program on a consistent basis.
Bronx23

We've more than established that the NCAA doesn't care about matching up #1 with #8 and that's its primary concern is apparently to spare travel and spur attendance. Or #2 with #7.

Personally, I don't really care if we are a #2 seed or a #3 seed. There isn't really much difference. I'd much rather play close to home if you are giving choices.

Again, it's not that we are in Albany, NY this year. Or Stockton, California the year before, or South Dakota three years ago, or Stanford, CA four years ago.

It's being assigned to the least convenient regional in three of five years and being assigned to most convenient regional only once. Can you understand that it becomes annoying, or do you just want to go on lecturing us why we didn't "deserve" to be placed close to home because of some nebulous argument that the NCAA in reality could care less about.

Reaction Score
Is it just a coincidence or is there a correlation between absence of a regional from a southeast location and the fall of both UNC and Duke from the elite level of WCBB? It does seem strange that the traditional hotbed of women's basketball hasn't hosted a regional in several years. And those years have been coincident to S Carolina's rise and the fall of their N Carolina rivals.

Reaction Score
Bronx23

Thanks for your insight. But if we're being honest, SC should have been one of the best if not the best teams in the country if it weren't for injuries and players leaving. Gray and Davis themselves would've made SC top tier this year but to also lose Cuevas-Moore (a senior leader & program mainstay), Lindsay Spann (a sharp shooter who was shooting 50% from 3), and not getting Cooper eligible was a big bullet for us. So to only have 6 losses after that with only 3 upperclassmen on the roster is impressive to say the least. Some posters here just don't like to give credit when it's due but it's fine. SC will be fine and will only get better as a program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom