Official Bracket Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Official Bracket Thread

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I've complained in the past about UCONN's bracket, but I think this year's is fair. Of course, they gave Louisville a poor deal in order to advantage Muffet. I also think the committee might have figured out that if ND has any chance, they have to play UCONN in the semifinal. Because we do not lose championship games.

ND is in UConn’s half of the bracket because UConn is #1 overall and ND is #4. No conspiracy necessary.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
We're going to get snow up here again tonight and tomorrow. But I got to tell you, even for upstate NY, we've had more than our share of snow this year. I'm ready for spring.

We didn't get much snow this winter, so that will suit me.

Reaction Score
Four ACC schools in one region. Looks like they could have spread it out a little more.

The requirement is for them to not meet before the regional semis.

Again the issue is do you keep more teams closer to home or impose the expense and lack of fans further away?

The ACC had a further challenge: Lou & ND were #1 seeds and Miami & Syracuse were #8s, They can't face each other in the 2nd round, so if the seeds are maintained they had to be placed in the other 2 regions. Yes, you could move teams off their seed line, but then then you start to compromise the integrity and balance of the brackets. And do you want to do that just to prevent a regional matchup that only happens if there are (highly unlikely) upsets? The 4 ACC teams in the Albany region only meetup if we have sweet 16 matchups of #8 vs #5 or #3 vs #10.

In the 23 years since the tourney went to 64 teams (23 yrs x 4 regions = 92 regions):
  • There has never been a #5 vs #8 game
  • #10 seed has made the sweet 16 three times. I have not tracked down if they faced a 3 seed each time. At most it has happened 3/92 times.
In other words, yes there are 4 conference teams in one region. Their likelihood of facing each other is extremely low.

I don't think it's fair to penalize the committee for failing to prevent low probability events from having the chance to occur.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Beat Notre Dame this year, and ND is probably a #2 Seed with Baylor as the #1 Seed in the Spokane Region. Then I think So Carolina ends up in Lexington. The two losses to the Lady Vols also hurt your chances to be the #1 two seed which also would have put your team in Lexington. Balancing the Bracket which is a committee responsibility put Baylor in Lexington as the #1 two seed. Albany was the closest Region after Baylor was put in Lexington. Got to win the Games you're supposed to. I know A'ja was hurt for one of the two Lady Vol losses.

How do you place the team with the best attendance in an already sold out Regional? Not sure what SC has done to the NCAA but it is clear they don't like us, especially after send us west the past 3 years and now placing us agaisnt the #1 team.

A'ja was out for both losses to Tennessee, though I don't think that was a factor for the committee. Surely you can understand why our fans are upset, especially those without financial means to travel long distances. In the last 7 seasons we've been in Albany, Stockton, Sioux Falls, Greensboro, Seattle/Palo Alto, Boulder/(didn't get to Norfolk) and West Lafayette/Fresno. I understand if we were the top 1 seed every year this wouldn't have happened, but the NCAA should be able to do a better job than that.

Reaction Score
Is it just a coincidence or is there a correlation between absence of a regional from a southeast location and the fall of both UNC and Duke from the elite level of WCBB? It does seem strange that the traditional hotbed of women's basketball hasn't hosted a regional in several years. And those years have been coincident to S Carolina's rise and the fall of their N Carolina rivals.

1) You can only have a regional where locations bid.
2) UNC and Duke were not successful bc of their rabid fan bases. Hardly. When Duke has hosted the opening weekend, they typically had among the most abysmal attendance. Last year: 2300 for one game and 1900 for the other.
I'm not sure why I have 2010 stats, but that year - with predetermined sites - Durham averaged 3900. That was 6th best out of the 9 sites that included a home team. Even Norfolk VA and Pittsburgh had better attendance despite not having the host school playing. (Norfolk had UConn and Pitt had Ohio St)

Btw, Greensboro NC (2019) and Greenville SC (2020) will be hosting in coming years.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Where were your fans in Nashville?

I was in Nashville; we had the 3rd largest contingent of fans after UT and MSU; it is almost 500 miles from Columbia to Nashville.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Wear Gamecock clothing and sit with Uconn fans! I went to Giants game and sat 4 rows up on 40 yard line in my Raiders gear and my team Won!

I may end up doing that; I have no problem with UCONN fans. Heck, my ex sister-in-law got her MSW there.

Reaction Score
Do you know what the phrase "neutral site" means? Just asking. It doesn't seem like you do.

For the NCAA, it means a site that you have not played more than 3 home games. (I think it's 3.)

As I've said many times before, if you think bracketing teams is easy, I suggest you try it yourself. One of the reasons I enjoy it is that it's like a puzzle -- there are tons of moving parts, and every placement has a ripple effect through the bracket.

Saying the S curve doesn't matter is just silly. Of course it does. But it is not the sole criteria. And the committee is trying to balance multiple issues from the "Policies & Procedures." Those policies are set before each March. It is the committee's job to just try to hit as many of them as possible.

And by the way, there was NO way the committee was not going to put Kentucky in the Lexington regional. None.

Reaction Score
I'm twice retired, now I hope you're not implying that I stay that long in the bathroom, although my wife might tend to agree with you. Once I wake up, I stay up, it's a military thing I guess. I always watch the whole game when it comes to UConn, there is something about them that reminds me of my basic training. You drill and drill till you get it right, then you drill some more!
A short stay and once I am up. I stay up too,lol!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The requirement is for them to not meet before the regional semis.

Again the issue is do you keep more teams closer to home or impose the expense and lack of fans further away?

In other words, yes there are 4 conference teams in one region. Their likelihood of facing each other is extremely low.

I don't think it's fair to penalize the committee for failing to prevent low probability events from having the chance to occur.

I was trying to make the top 5 of whines in this thread :cool:

I may try again later :p

Reaction Score
Thanks for your insight. But if we're being honest, SC should have been one of the best if not the best teams in the country if it weren't for injuries and players leaving. Gray and Davis themselves would've made SC top tier this year but to also lose Cuevas-Moore (a senior leader & program mainstay), Lindsay Spann (a sharp shooter who was shooting 50% from 3), and not getting Cooper eligible was a big bullet for us. So to only have 6 losses after that with only 3 upperclassmen on the roster is impressive to say the least. Some posters here just don't like to give credit when it's due but it's fine. SC will be fine and will only get better as a program.
Uconn lost the first 3 picks of the draft in 2016 and were 36-1 last year! So dont use Gray and Davis because you dont see this board saying only if Morgan stayed! This time of year injuries are a given and SC didnt lose half as much as Notre Dame did.

Reaction Score
I am going to go out on what I think is a reasonably strong limb and say there is a very legitimate chance USF will meet UConn in Albany. It appears to me that Jose (a la Geno) has his team peaking at exactly the right time.

I believe they can beat SC. They only lost to UConn by 16 in the AAC Tournament final in UConn's home away from home, Mohegan Sun. UConn beat SC by 15, but it was at SC's house and every UConn sub played in that game(albeit for just a few minutes) whereas no (I repeat, NO) subs played in the last USF game. ND beat USF by 16; they beat SC by 7 - both early in the season. My "eye test" on the AAC final was that USF is starting to charge. And while their shot at SC in Albany may be a bit of a long one, at this point in time I think SC may be within their range.
I think your whole assumption is wishful thinking. Has USF ever beaten a top ranked team or program?
That's a huge additional hurdle beyond point spreads and match ups. Also while they last game with U Conn was not a blowout they also were never a true danger to win.
I'll be shocked it they get close to as far as you think might happen!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I was trying to make the top 5 of whines in this thread :cool:

giphy.gif

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think your whole assumption is wishful thinking. Has USF ever beaten a top ranked team or program?
That's a huge additional hurdle beyond point spreads and match ups. Also while they last game with U Conn was not a blowout they also were never a true danger to win.
I'll be shocked it they get close to as far as you think might happen!
Bronx23
Do the Buckeyes count as a top ranked program?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Do you know what the phrase "neutral site" means? Just asking. It doesn't seem like you do.

I think most people define "neutral site" as a game played at a venue that is not the home stadium of either team. You know that the men's tournament, I believe, expressly prohibits teams from playing on their home floor if it is a regional site?

Out of curiosity is it that you know the Committee's #1 priority was to seed #4 Kentucky in Lexington. Do you think that's a good idea? rewarding a #4 seed with home court through the Final Four?
Seriously? Of course I know what "neutral" site is SUPPOSED to mean. But, is it a "neutral" fan base in the stands when the UK women get to play in Rupp Arena in a regional? Was it a "neutral" fan base when the South Carolina men (as a #7 seed last season) got to play in Greenville, SC against #2 seed Duke in the round of 32? Or a "neutral" fan base when the UNC or Duke men get to play sub-regionals in Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, or Winston-Salem just about every season?

I've gone on record many times saying it wasn't fair for Lexington to get 3 consecutive regionals, regardless of UK's eventual seed. It's a technicality that UK women play most of their games at Memorial Coliseum, and not Rupp Arena. That decision has ended up causing problems and controversy (IMO) during the last 3 tournament brackets.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Thanks for your insight. But if we're being honest, SC should have been one of the best if not the best teams in the country if it weren't for injuries and players leaving. Gray and Davis themselves would've made SC top tier this year but to also lose Cuevas-Moore (a senior leader & program mainstay), Lindsay Spann (a sharp shooter who was shooting 50% from 3), and not getting Cooper eligible was a big bullet for us. So to only have 6 losses after that with only 3 upperclassmen on the roster is impressive to say the least. Some posters here just don't like to give credit when it's due but it's fine. SC will be fine and will only get better as a program.
You can't use excuses about players leaving SC based on how Dawn has brought in transfers year after year.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Personally, I don't really care if we are a #2 seed or a #3 seed. There isn't really much difference. I'd much rather play close to home if you are giving choices.

Again, it's not that we are in Albany, NY this year. Or Stockton, California the year before, or South Dakota three years ago, or Stanford, CA four years ago.

It's being assigned to the least convenient regional in three of five years and being assigned to most convenient regional only once.
Guess what? Out of the 16 teams who advance to the regionals, it's only gonna be convenient for the fans of about 8 teams, and that is stretching it.

The difference is that Dawn is the most vocal with her complaints. The other head coaches know that it's futile, and just comes across as sour grapes.

For Texas, we've been sent to NY, CT, KY, and now MO over the last 4 seasons. Do you hear Coach Aston complaining to the media about it? UCLA has gone to CT, NY, and MO the last 3 seasons. Do you hear Coach Close complaining to the media about it?

Do you hear the head coaches of the men's programs complaining? There's a sub-regional in Charlotte, NC this week. #1 Virginia and #2 UNC get to play there; but, #2 Duke has to go to Pittsburgh because only 2 groups of 4 teams are sent to each of the 8 sub-regional sites. It's just how the chips fall sometimes.

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Seriously? Of course I know what "neutral" site is SUPPOSED to mean. But, is it a "neutral" fan base when the UK women get to play in Rupp Arena in a regional? Was it a "neutral" fan base when the South Carolina men (as a #7 seed last season) got to play in Greenville, SC against #2 seed Duke in the round of 32? Or a "neutral" fan base when the UNC or Duke men get to play sub-regionals in Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, or Winston-Salem just about every season?

I've gone on record many times saying it wasn't fair for Lexington to get 3 consecutive regionals, regardless of UK's eventual seed. It's a technicality that UK women play most of their games at Memorial Coliseum, and not Rupp Arena. That decision has ended up causing problems and controversy (IMO) during the last 3 tournament brackets.

Having been to all of our men's NCAAT games last season, there were many more Gamecock fans at the Elite 8 game at MSG (about 10,000) than there were for either game in Greenville. UNC fans had bought up many of the tickets for that sub-regional in anticipation of being located there. I'm not saying there weren't a good number of Gamecock fans in Greenville, but the Elite 8 game in NYC was a virtual home game. In understand your point, however.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Having been to all of our men's NCAAT games last season, there were many more Gamecock fans at the Elite 8 game at MSG (about 10,000) than there were for either game in Greenville. UNC fans had bought up many of the tickets for that sub-regional in anticipation of being located there. I'm not saying there weren't a good number of Gamecock fans in Greenville, but the Elite 8 game in NYC was a virtual home game. In understand your point, however.
And, the location only makes a difference if the fans turn out in support of their team

Last season, I think the committee made a faux paus in keeping a #7 seed like the SC men's team so close to home; that's not supposed to happen in men's hoops as it puts the #2 seed at a disadvantage (even though Duke isn't that far away from Greenville). They are supposed to "protect" the Top 4 seeds in each region as much as possible. But, sometimes you catch a huge break. I don't recall if Coach K complained about that matchup in Greenville, but I wouldn't blame him if he did.

Reaction Score

If you get to say this then so do several other schools. They have all faced adversity and yall aren't the only ones. ND has 4 acl tears and only 7 scholarship players.

Baylor only had 10 to start and 7 of them are freshman and sophomores. They lost 3 starters and 4 total seniors, along with one who ended her career due to medical issues, one transferred to Miami, and another just quit basketball. That is a total of 7 players they lsot. 10 games in this year freshman tears acl, against Texas a starter broke her wrist. Now down to 8, oh and wait Sr pg 2nd leading scorer tears ACL. So BU like ND has 7 healthy and of those 7 1 is a first year starting senior and the other is the all American.

My point is BU could use some credit for only losing 1 game given our circumstances. However, they aren't going to give it to you. Every team goes through adversity. However, other teams have done for with less than yall did, like ND.

Reaction Score
Uconn lost the first 3 picks of the draft in 2016 and were 36-1 last year! So dont use Gray and Davis because you dont see this board saying only if Morgan stayed! This time of year injuries are a given and SC didnt lose half as much as Notre Dame did.

Even with injuries ND's entire starting 5 were McDAA's. SC has only one McDAA this year. Next year we will have 3. I never complained about this season because this has been a great coaching season for Dawn throwing her freshmen and sophomores in the fire and handled the pressure. They will be only better next year.

Reaction Score
Even with injuries ND's entire starting 5 were McDAA's. SC has only one McDAA this year. Next year we will have 3. I never complained about this season because this has been a great coaching season for Dawn throwing her freshmen and sophomores in the fire and handled the pressure. They will be only better next year.
What does a high school Mcd AAs have to do with Div.1 WCBB? Absolutely nothing! If Dawn is coaching so well. How come she didnt call a timeout 1until there was 1:51 until half time and down by 28 to Uconn! Must of been great coaching,LOL!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What does a high school Mcd AAs have to do with Div.1 WCBB? Absolutely nothing! If Dawn is coaching so well. How come she didnt call a timeout 1until there was 1:51 until half time and down by 28 to Uconn! Must of been great coaching,LOL!

I think I had commented on this during the game. She was too busy enjoying UConn's style and level of play. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom