Not sweating this season | The Boneyard

Not sweating this season

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This season is toast. But anyone who was paying any attention would have known that it was going to be toast. Add in the injuries and it's just that much toastier. They're playing hard, but they are just overmatched - Brendan Adams played 21 minutes last night. (I like the kid and I think he's going to be helpful down the road, but right now, that's not ideal.)

What I do like...Hurley is putting next season in order already. He's already defining roles for the kids coming back.

Really clear over the past week that anyone on or off the team who thinks this isn't Alterique's team next year isn't paying enough attention. He's talking him up every chance he gets, he's demoted a rising senior guard to a reserve role and he's running everything through Alterique. There's no point guard controversy coming next season.

The guy has a plan. We're in good hands.

Reaction Score
Not a lot of people predicted crazy things. Many were in the 18 to 20 wins range prior to the first game. Can anyone honestly state they predicted under .500 before the season started because I doubt that. Not trying to sound negative but the season has been a bit of a bummer. Hurley has changed the culture quickly but it has been another pretty rough season.

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
Not a lot of people predicted crazy things. Many were in the 18 to 20 wins range prior to the first game. Can anyone honestly state they predicted under .500 before the season started because I doubt that. Not trying to sound negative but the season has been a bit of a bummer. Hurley has changed the culture quickly but it has been another pretty rough season.

Injuries and lack of talent usually leads to a bummer season.. Hurley’s got us headed in the right direction though!

Reaction Score
Injuries and lack of talent usually leads to a bummer season.. Hurley’s got us headed in the right direction though!
No doubt, I trust in Hurley 100 percent and really wonder how this team would have done had they been healthy or at least, just had the average amount of missed days due to injury for a team per season. Also wonder how the season would have gone if a few more shots had dropped in their first close loss, which I think was zona. A few less injuries and a few, very few in fact, extra shots made here and there and I am convinced they would be on track for 18, pushing 20 wins going into the AACT. Rough season because of the bad luck.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yeah there were injuries, still are. But we also had AG for a lot of healthy games, a better grad transfer in Smith than Antoine Anderson and Carlton/Polley are better, even Cobb in a couple games. So while I have no doubt he's doing it right and will bring the program back, if you're happy having the same year as last you're lying a little. You have to be a little disappointed there weren't a few wins closed that came down to the wire, we're Husky fans. I agree with Fishy but understand Travelman also.

Reaction Score
Yes. But we’ve said these words for the last four years. Vital right now has the worst record for any UConn player since earl Kelley.

Reaction Score
Yeah there were injuries, still are. But we also had AG for a lot of healthy games, a better grad transfer in Smith than Antoine Anderson and Carlton/Polley are better, even Cobb in a couple games. So while I have no doubt he's doing it right and will bring the program back, if you're happy having the same year as last you're lying a little. You have to be a little disappointed there weren't a few wins closed that came down to the wire, we're Husky fans. I agree with Fishy but understand Travelman also.
I think we thought we were going to see more Xs and Os but he is just a more involved and intense KO who prefers mushroom tea to 1$ oysters. Which is what we thought we had with Ollie at first. Remember? Let’s hope that NOT winning a title in your second year keeps him grounded though I would certainly swap coaches every 4 years for a title. Just saying. Hurley has impeccable pedigree and is a gym rat. Something Kevin was not. Ollie worked hard to attain a goal and perhaps the fact that he proved everyone wrong in the nba and ncaa is what caused him to fizzle out. I actually just thought of that.

Reaction Score
This season is toast. But anyone who was paying any attention would have known that it was going to be toast. Add in the injuries and it's just that much toastier. They're playing hard, but they are just overmatched
Sending love for the word toastier...;)
No doubt, I trust in Hurley 100 percent and really wonder how this team would have done had they been healthy or at least, just had the average amount of missed days due to injury for a team per season.
Ever wonder how this team would have done if the three players and the recruit that Ollie lost would have stayed? ...;)
My thoughts in line with the OP.....
the future's so bright i gotta wear shades - Yahoo Video Search Results

Reaction Score
This team would still beat last year's team. The games haven't been a total chore to watch

Reaction Score
This team would still beat last year's team. The games haven't been a total chore to watch

Agree but they should right? They are better as I said so why not expect there should've been a couple more wins?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda!
We are what we are. This is the 2018-2019
HUSKIES. All the other teams have injuries, defections, missed shots, bad refs.
I've heard enough excuses.
Look ahead to next year, young men!

Reaction Score
I think we thought we were going to see more Xs and Os but he is just a more involved and intense KO who prefers mushroom tea to 1$ oysters. Which is what we thought we had with Ollie at first. Remember? Let’s hope that NOT winning a title in your second year keeps him grounded though I would certainly swap coaches every 4 years for a title. Just saying. Hurley has impeccable pedigree and is a gym rat. Something Kevin was not. Ollie worked hard to attain a goal and perhaps the fact that he proved everyone wrong in the nba and ncaa is what caused him to fizzle out. I actually just thought of that.

Good post and agree. By the way in any of these replies I don't intend on anyone thinking I'm supporting KO as being anything close to Dan I'm not. I'm certainly of the idea he's a solid coach, X's and O's aren't the reason for his success but he's still fine there. He and the staff have had a couple great defensive plans vs solid players that's been evident. His attitude and passion is the fit here and the need for sure. He's going to recruit and he won't fizzle so we will ride a high when he gets the right kids out there.

I'm happy, just hate losing really simple hence my frustrations. All good, 2020 on...

Reaction Score
This season is toast. But anyone who was paying any attention would have known that it was going to be toast. Add in the injuries and it's just that much toastier. They're playing hard, but they are just overmatched - Brendan Adams played 21 minutes last night. (I like the kid and I think he's going to be helpful down the road, but right now, that's not ideal.)

What I do like...Hurley is putting next season in order already. He's already defining roles for the kids coming back.

Really clear over the past week that anyone on or off the team who thinks this isn't Alterique's team next year isn't paying enough attention. He's talking him up every chance he gets, he's demoted a rising senior guard to a reserve role and he's running everything through Alterique. There's no point guard controversy coming next season.

The guy has a plan. We're in good hands.

Yeah, but Alterique is as fragile as a crystal chandelier. I don't think he stays healthy for a full season.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thanks for the heads up at 13-15 and winless on the road into March they aren’t cutting down the nets.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I gotta throw in with Fishy on this one. AG started to seriously show his leadership and a major set of 'nads in the 2nd half against Cincy and last night just cemented the deal. Can't wait to see him with a bunch more talent on the team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
we're better by all the metrics. wins will come.

Yep I know but really not my point. Again all good push forward.

I did forget to mention this, I’ve remained on the station of the game even when down 15-20 with 10-12 minutes left this year and they’ve made it fun. Admittedly last year I expected and assumed much worst and watched a series or sitcom many times instead of the last few minutes. That’s telling us something for sure.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No doubt, I trust in Hurley 100 percent and really wonder how this team would have done had they been healthy or at least, just had the average amount of missed days due to injury for a team per season. Also wonder how the season would have gone if a few more shots had dropped in their first close loss, which I think was zona. A few less injuries and a few, very few in fact, extra shots made here and there and I am convinced they would be on track for 18, pushing 20 wins going into the AACT. Rough season because of the bad luck.

A few more shots sure. But this team sucks at shooting. They didn't get unlucky. They're not supposed to go in.

Fishy's not wrong in that this sort of campaign should have shocked no one. Certainly didn't shock me and I'm no genius.

I think we've got used to watching a level of player so far below what we were used to in the past, that we've forgotten what kind of talent it takes to be successful on this level.

Not gonna name individuals right now, but we've got a roster full of guys who either shouldn't be here or should be buried at the far end of the bench.

Reaction Score
They’re not better.

The front court is still a non-entity and we’re giving an A10-level guard rotation huge minutes.

They were better when healthier and now only because he has them giving a rats bass.

Reaction Score
Agree but they should right? They are better as I said so why not expect there should've been a couple more wins?

!) Variance. We have the point differential of a team with a better record.
2) Lack of closing talent without Jalen.
3) AAC deeper this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom