Not sweating this season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Not sweating this season

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not a lot of people predicted crazy things. Many were in the 18 to 20 wins range prior to the first game. Can anyone honestly state they predicted under .500 before the season started because I doubt that. Not trying to sound negative but the season has been a bit of a bummer. Hurley has changed the culture quickly but it has been another pretty rough season.

I predicted low 20s wins. I still think that if Diarra came back in November as expected, Yawke, Gilbert and Adams stay healthy, and we caught a few breaks instead of everything going against us, it was possible.

We have two physical guys...both are out.
We have two PGs...both have been out part of the season.

Josh has been the one real bright spot. Polley has improved.

Reaction Score
Yes. We’re in the cellar and that’s what makes it deeper. No more than 2 ranked teams once season started and Houston is 8 with best record in college. Any legit p5 will wax them in the tournament. It’s all Sampson who I hope gets some coach of the year love.

Last year there were 5 teams in AAC worse than 150 in KenPom. This year there are 2. That's 4-5 easy wins turned into tossup games, which are especially more difficult on the road. When you're ranked ~100, you're favored on the road against a ~175 team and an underdog against a fellow ~100 team.

For us, specifically, it's the losses @USF (279 last year, 109 this year) and @Memphis (161 last year, 71 this year) that were much more difficult games because of the depth of the conference. You could even include the @Wichita game, which considering the flux of their roster, they don't have any business being even close to top 100 in KenPom (except Gregg Marshall and their home court are both so good).

KenPom has us favored in the last 3 games, putting us at 7-11 on the year in conference. We're not nearly as upset if we're 9-9 in conference with Jalen missing 10 games. That's the depth of the conference in a nutshell compared to past years (well that and our inability to win close games).

I'm not suggesting it's B1G or B12 or ACC deep, of course. But it's as deep as it's been since the AAC formed as far as # of teams in KenPom top 130. In fact, you can chart the conference's overall improvement by this metric. It's 10 teams this year, 7 the three years before, 6 before that, and 4 in the first year. The conference has gone from pretty top heavy to surprisingly competitive.

Reaction Score
Pretty much agree. This season, my expectations were low for the team. I mean if coach would have come out and the team caught fire and gone 20-7, that would have been sweet! But I am giving coach and the team a pass this year. Taking the losses and average season in stride. Now next season the expectations are higher. Being average is not in our DNA.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I think Hurley is the right coach for the job but he'll need another excellent recruiting class on top of this years class to get the program legit again. I'm guessing the Huskies will make a tourney next year. I'm doubtful it will be the one we prefer. #Debbie Downer

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Last year there were 5 teams in AAC worse than 150 in KenPom. This year there are 2. That's 4-5 easy wins turned into tossup games, which are especially more difficult on the road. When you're ranked ~100, you're favored on the road against a ~175 team and an underdog against a fellow ~100 team.

For us, specifically, it's the losses @USF (279 last year, 109 this year) and @Memphis (161 last year, 71 this year) that were much more difficult games because of the depth of the conference. You could even include the @Wichita game, which considering the flux of their roster, they don't have any business being even close to top 100 in KenPom (except Gregg Marshall and their home court are both so good).

KenPom has us favored in the last 3 games, putting us at 7-11 on the year in conference. We're not nearly as upset if we're 9-9 in conference with Jalen missing 10 games. That's the depth of the conference in a nutshell compared to past years (well that and our inability to win close games).

I'm not suggesting it's B1G or B12 or ACC deep, of course. But it's as deep as it's been since the AAC formed as far as # of teams in KenPom top 130. In fact, you can chart the conference's overall improvement by this metric. It's 10 teams this year, 7 the three years before, 6 before that, and 4 in the first year. The conference has gone from pretty top heavy to surprisingly competitive.
good data. 'course, many of us aren't 'surprised.' at all. nope, not one bit.
Admit it. You're amped about the upcoming American Athletic Conference season and tournament. AAC!

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score

As of this morning, UConn has a Pomeroy ranking of #95, (surprisingly?) ahead of USF at #109, Wichita State at #110, and SMU at #119.

Reaction Score
As of this morning, UConn has a Pomeroy ranking of #95, (surprisingly?) ahead of USF at #109, Wichita State at #110, and SMU at #119.

We're adjusting downward without Jalen (our high was #73). We're 348th/351st in KenPom's luck, which factors in projected record vs. game by game efficiency margin. Essentially we've lost a lot more close games and tossups than expected, so our record is a lot worse than those other teams (plus we've had a harder strength of schedule).

Reaction Score
I think this is a 2 year endeavor in terms of a turnaround and returning to a top 25 caliber type team. Next year will be an improvement, but usually takes a couple of years (if not 3) before your recruits and your culture set in. I wish it were quicker but history shows otherwise.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I predicted low 20s wins. I still think that if Diarra came back in November as expected, Yawke, Gilbert and Adams stay healthy, and we caught a few breaks instead of everything going against us, it was possible.

We have two physical guys...both are out.
We have two PGs...both have been out part of the season.

Josh has been the one real bright spot. Polley has improved.

In fairness, banking on everything falling our way, in the context of where we are/were, is probably a bad bet.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Taking the losses and average season in stride. Now next season the expectations are higher. Being average is not in our DNA.

See below.

We need to be cautiously optimistic a about next season as well.

Yup. I think it's still going to be a bit of a slog. Better than this year probably, but we've got holes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We're adjusting downward without Jalen (our high was #73). We're 348th/351st in KenPom's luck, which factors in projected record vs. game by game efficiency margin. Essentially we've lost a lot more close games and tossups than expected, so our record is a lot worse than those other teams (plus we've had a harder strength of schedule).

I thought Jalen was addition by subtraction!! WTF!?!??!?!?!?!?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think this is a 2 year endeavor in terms of a turnaround and returning to a top 25 caliber type team. Next year will be an improvement, but usually takes a couple of years (if not 3) before your recruits and your culture set in. I wish it were quicker but history shows otherwise.

Three years. 2020. Hopefully Gilbert will still be around.

C

Chief00

Anybody who watched Hurley at URI knew he wasn't coming in as a master of x and o's. That's not why we hired him. He was hired because he was a lot of what KO was not.

Primarily, He was hired because he's a proven builder with experience, has tons of energy, connections, and gravitas. And perspective.

It's what we need right now.

He's young, and has plenty of time to grow in the x's and o's department. But in contrast to last year, I've seen plenty of solid inbounds plays.

I was agreeing up until seeing lots of good inbounds plays.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I was agreeing up until seeing lots of good inbounds plays.

Should have put 'relative' to last year. I feel like we've erased those atrocities from our memory. It can get a LOT better to be sure.

C

Chief00

We’ll know next year. Then I will say 20% if we say it yet again. In regards to ko I wish we had a chillious type before his one year as Miller was getting old and Moore was too green. A poor decision that may have had ko bummed to carry the recruiting load as well. There must be a book someday about that whole past regime. School Pres. Warde. Conference. Etc.
Agree, should have cut Miller loose a year earlier. Good we kept him for his Diallo connection. LOL

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Agree, should have cut Miller loose a year earlier. Good we kept him for his Diallo connection. LOL

I hate to say, truly, because I love the guy, but Ricky probably wasn't the right hire either. Needed a guy like Kimani/Hunter/Tommy on board. Experienced both in recruiting, coaching, managing, and with a ton of relationships in hotbed areas.

Killings was fine, but he should have been lowest man on the totem pole.

Reaction Score
It is about the Yakwe. And give Hurley credit ... he knew the interior D deficiencies was glaring.

Of late, the ease of driving that lane and scoring comes up over & over. We have improved our talent level and our backcourt recruitment + wing talent. The need is still there for that tough interior. God bless Carlton, he has improved. But we do need a tough recruit - likely Transfer

Reaction Score
Really clear over the past week that anyone on or off the team who thinks this isn't Alterique's team next year isn't paying enough attention. He's talking him up every chance he gets, he's demoted a rising senior guard to a reserve role and he's running everything through Alterique. There's no point guard controversy coming next season.

The guy has a plan. We're in good hands.
I sure hope he has a plan B... Alterique isn't guaranteed after practice 1.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom