Not sweating this season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not sweating this season

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They’re not better.

The front court is still a non-entity and we’re giving an A10-level guard rotation huge minutes.

I'd also point out to those getting ready for a big next year, the front court is currently just above nonentity status for that as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
!) Variance. We have the point differential of a team with a better record.
2) Lack of closing talent without Jalen.
3) AAC deeper this year.

All good but AAC might be “deeper “ but top isn’t close to being as good. Couldn’t touch SMU, WSU, Cincy last year yet have 2 wins and 3 other close calls in those 6. Lack of closing talent both years without Jalen.

Reaction Score
I'd also point out to those getting ready for a big 2020, the front court is currently just above nonentity status next year too.

Grad transfers are an important factor if there’s impact available with size.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Grad transfers are an important factor if there’s impact available with size.

Without question. Transfers (grad or otherwise) and Jucos. That's why I used the word 'currently'.

But there's a nonzero chance we might end up without anyone who can truly help. We got Yakwe this year, which was a good get at the time given need, but we see how it actually turned out.

Reaction Score
don't be a debby downer
Debby Downer or realist? That is the question. A lot of people just have unrealistic expectations here. I think AG is extremely talented and love watching him play. But I am always worried that the next fall, the next bump, will be the end of the season for him... and building the team around someone fragile is playing with fire.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yeah there were injuries, still are. But we also had AG for a lot of healthy games, a better grad transfer in Smith than Antoine Anderson and Carlton/Polley are better, even Cobb in a couple games. So while I have no doubt he's doing it right and will bring the program back, if you're happy having the same year as last you're lying a little. You have to be a little disappointed there weren't a few wins closed that came down to the wire, we're Husky fans. I agree with Fishy but understand Travelman also.
DH has appreciably more to work with this year than KO had last season. I am not saying that KO was an effective coach the past 2 seasons and there are justifiable reasons for him to go. But at the same time, if DH was the absolute "have to get", I find it very hard to understand why the results are the same or worse in some areas.
There is a letter to the editor in the Courant today that echoes the sentiments I have heard from many longtime fans who have had season tickets for over 30 years and have deep pockets. I don't agree with some of what the author penned but the overall sentiment have been sung by many that I know and have known for decades.
I think Hurley seems capable to turn the program around. He needs to be able to recruit the right kids, coach the techniques and tactics that most lack coming out of high/prep school because if you can't defend or rebound you are not going to win. I haven't seen any improvement in rebounding or defense in 27 odd games and to be frank that concerns me. However the question I have is who is the right kid? Will the elite want to play in a non P5 conference? Can he convince them that he can get them to the next level? Or does he go for the better 3* and keep them for 3-4 years and recruit for roles vs the athleticism and if he does will that give him enough to compete in the AAC and an aggressive non conference schedule? I don't know, is this the dilemma most coaches in the P6 group are struggling with now? What makes it harder for DH is that UConn has won 4 NCs and that should place them in the blueblood arena - how can he get it there again. He has a tough job and I don't envy him but I did expect improvement and an increase in performance levels this year.
I agree with Fish that the season is a done deal and it has been for quite some time. I have hope for the program and will continue to renew my season tickets and give the money that I have budgeted to the program as well as the soccer and baseball programs. Hurley needs time and time will tell if he can do what he is adamant he can accomplish. I am going to be honest and say that I expected more than what I have seen this year and expect improvement in wins and performance every ensuing year. I think we all do.
On to next year and hopes of a winning record and some post season play.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you created a t-shirt commemorating this, I would buy it.
If you created a t-shirt commemorating this, I would buy it.

69C2AB8F-92B3-4B5B-894B-C7A768554C4E.jpeg

Reaction Score
I think I said in some pre-season thread that as long as they beat Syracuse everything would be gravy and I stand by that

They are bad, but at least they’re bad at playing something that resembles the sport of basketball that we all know and love.

The same could not be said the past couple of seasons.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
i think we thought we were going to see more Xs and Os but he is just a more involved and intense KO who prefers mushroom tea to 1$ oysters. Which is what we thought we had with Ollie at first. Remember? Let’s hope that NOT winning a title in your second year keeps him grounded though I would certainly swap coaches every 4 years for a title. Just saying. Hurley has impeccable pedigree and is a gym rat. Something Kevin was not. Ollie worked hard to attain a goal and perhaps the fact that he proved everyone wrong in the nba and ncaa is what caused him to fizzle out. I actually just thought of that.

Anybody who watched Hurley at URI knew he wasn't coming in as a master of x and o's. That's not why we hired him. He was hired because he was a lot of what KO was not.

Primarily, He was hired because he's a proven builder with experience, has tons of energy, connections, and gravitas. And perspective.

It's what we need right now.

He's young, and has plenty of time to grow in the x's and o's department. But in contrast to last year, I've seen plenty of solid inbounds plays.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
]

Anybody who watched Hurley at URI knew he wasn't coming in as a master of x and o's. That's not why we hired him. He was hired because he was a lot of what KO was not.

Primarily, He was hired because he's a proven builder with experience, has tons of energy, connections, and gravitas. And perspective.

It's what we need right now.

He's young, and has plenty of time to grow in the x's and o's department. But in contrast to last year, I've seen plenty of solid inbounds plays.

Hurley still has a leap to make. He flipped two programs, but is 7-8 in conf tourneys and has won one NCAA game against the deadest team that has ever been an at-large.

It’s all about who he can recruit and things have gone well so far. It’s not like the old days though - thinking you are penciling guy in at some point in the future is a fool’s errand

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom