NON-Uconn WCBB News | Page 17 | The Boneyard

NON-Uconn WCBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I get the sense that @HuskyNan wants the discussion on the thread that was started on the injury moved here. So here's a reply to that thread that I didn't post there.

Thanks for finding that article. I had posted about the injury news in the Sunday games thread yesterday. What gives us hope that they're not just blowing smoke about the recovery time is stuff like how Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa was back in practice 2 weeks after ankle surgery.

I was curious about the study you posted, so I took advantage of my university access to the full text. As with most things involving human subjects, the study has limitations wrt the numbers. They started with 66 patients who were a mix of ages, male and female, which finger was broken etc. By the first assessment, at week 6, they had lost 10 subjects for various reasons (7 didn't show up, 1 was an inclusion error, 1 reinjured the hand, 1 withdrew). More fell by the wayside as the study went on. With those caveats:

I'm guessing that makes the difference if she does make it back for the NCAAs won't be superhuman patients, but rather the extent to which rehab will be managed differently than if one of us had the same injury and surgery.

I couldn't find this discussion yet again so I'll repeat what I said in my short thread just a couple of minutes ago:

Apologies Nan, but I just spent 5 minutes looking for that with no luck, so I just will post this and then move on:

According to Blair she has two fractures and had six pins/screws placed. You can see his whole interview in the article below. How good a dribbler/shooter is she left handed?

Texas A&M's Chennedy Carter out with injury until NCAA tournament

Is that new nonUConn board within a board what you are referencing Nan and where is it? The nonUconn news thread is where I wasted 5 minutes.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I couldn't find this discussion yet again so I'll repeat what I said in my short thread just a couple of minutes ago:

Apologies Nan, but I just spent 5 minutes looking for that with no luck, so I just will post this and then move on:

According to Blair she has two fractures and had six pins/screws placed. You can see his whole interview in the article below. How good a dribbler/shooter is she left handed?

Texas A&M's Chennedy Carter out with injury until NCAA tournament

Is that new nonUConn board within a board what you are referencing Nan and where is it? The nonUconn news thread is where I wasted 5 minutes.
Starts at post #382.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Defensive Player of the Year: Kristine Anigwe (Cal)

That's an interesting call to me. I don't think she's a stand out defensive player. I think this is mostly finding a way to give her some recognition. Couldn't really give her POY because Oregon finished so far ahead of Cal. She did grab a ton of rebounds, I guess that's a way of limiting your opponents scoring opportunities by not giving them second chances.

Reaction Score
SEC Honors: Westbrook didn't make first or second team. Granted the SEC selects 8 players while the Big 10 selects 10.

First Team All-SEC
Caliya Robinson, Georgia
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Maci Morris, Kentucky
Ayana Mitchell, LSU
Anriel Howard, Mississippi State
Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State
Sophie Cunningham, Missouri
Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M
Second Team All-SEC
Chelsea Dungee, Arkansas
Janiah McKay, Auburn
Crystal Allen, Ole Miss
Te'a Cooper, South Carolina
Tyasha Harris, South Carolina
Alexis Jennings, South Carolina
Rennia Davis, Tennessee
Mariella Fasoula, Vanderbilt
All-Freshman
Robyn Benton, Auburn
Blair Green, Kentucky
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Akira Levy, Missouri
Destanni Henderson, South Carolina
Victaria Saxton, South Carolina
Zaay Green, Tennessee
Brinae Alexander, Vanderbilt
All-Defensive
Janiah McKay, Auburn
Caliya Robinson , Georgia
Taylor Murray, Kentucky
Jazzmun Holmes, Mississippi State
Co-Coaches of the Year: Matthew Mitchell, Kentucky and Vic Schaefer, Mississippi State
Player of the Year: Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State
Freshman of the Year: Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Defensive Player of the Year: Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State
6th Woman of the Year: Cierra Porter, Missouri
Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Maci Morris, Kentucky
The two oddities for me on the SEC list:
  • Rennia Davis on the 2nd team. I thought she was considered to be a letdown from expectations after a good freshman season last year, and I don't see her stats as being under the radar better than the eyeball test. But I only watched a limited number of LV games and the one vs us was particularly bad. LV fans have any thoughts on her? If anyone from Tenn, I expected Westbrook.
  • Cierra Porter as 6th woman of the year. Porter's return was important to Mizzou, but she was a starter for the last 10 games after taking 7 to get back into playing form.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
BIG EAST Player of the Year
Natisha Hiedeman, Marquette, Sr., G*

BIG EAST Coach of the Year
Kurt Godlevske, Butler

BIG EAST Freshman of the Year
Mary Baskerville, Providence, Fr., F

BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Year
Michelle Weaver, Butler, Sr., G

BIG EAST Most Improved Player
Shadeen Samuels, Seton Hall, Jr., F

BIG EAST Sixth-Woman Award
Allazia Blockton, Marquette, Sr., G

BIG EAST Sportsmanship Award
Jannah Tucker, Villanova, Sr., F
Ashton Millender, DePaul, Sr., G

All-BIG EAST First Team
Audrey Faber, Creighton, Sr., F
Mart’e Grays, DePaul, Sr., F
Dionna White, Georgetown, Sr., G

All-BIG EAST Second Team
Dorothy Adomako, Georgetown, Grad., G
Erika Davenport, Marquette, Sr., F
Mary Gedaka, Villanova, Jr., F
Tori Schickel, Butler, Sr., F/C
Chante Stonewall, DePaul, Jr., F

All-BIG EAST Honorable Mention
Tiana England, St. John’s, R-So., G
A’riana Gray, Xavier, So., F
Whitney Jennings, Butler, Sr., G
Jovana Nogic, Providence, Sr., G
Amani Wilborn, Marquette, Sr., G

BIG EAST All-Freshman Team
Kadaja Bailey, St. John’s, Fr., G
Mary Baskerville, Providence, Fr., F*
Emily Esposito, Villanova, R-Fr., G
Lexi Held, DePaul, Fr., G*
Kaela Webb, Providence, Fr., G

*unanimous selection

BIG EAST Announces Women’s Basketball Regular-Season Awards

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I get the sense that @HuskyNan wants the discussion on the thread that was started on the injury moved here. So here's a reply to that thread that I didn't post there.

Thanks for finding that article. I had posted about the injury news in the Sunday games thread yesterday. What gives us hope that they're not just blowing smoke about the recovery time is stuff like how Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa was back in practice 2 weeks after ankle surgery.

I was curious about the study you posted, so I took advantage of my university access to the full text. As with most things involving human subjects, the study has limitations wrt the numbers. They started with 66 patients who were a mix of ages, male and female, which finger was broken etc. By the first assessment, at week 6, they had lost 10 subjects for various reasons (7 didn't show up, 1 was an inclusion error, 1 reinjured the hand, 1 withdrew). More fell by the wayside as the study went on. With those caveats:

I'm guessing that makes the difference if she does make it back for the NCAAs won't be superhuman patients, but rather the extent to which rehab will be managed differently than if one of us had the same injury and surgery.
My post was just to let people know that the topic was also being discussed her

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Never in my life would I think I'd be watching Duke play on a Wednesday at the ACC tournament :mad:. But here I am :(. At least I'll get my first ever chance at seeing Pitt play. I think they have five fans here :rolleyes:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Never in my life would I think I'd be watching Duke play on a Wednesday at the ACC tournament :mad:. But here I am :(. At least I'll get my first ever chance at seeing Pitt play. I think they have five fans here :rolleyes:
Could this be more dramatic? Hanging in the balance is a WNIT bid!

Plebe

Reaction Score
It was a close game at halftime, but Duke opened up a can on Pitt in 3Q, now up by 18! If you don’t know you better ask somebody! (As in ask @triaddukefan !)

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
The two oddities for me on the SEC list:
  • Rennia Davis on the 2nd team. I thought she was considered to be a letdown from expectations after a good freshman season last year, and I don't see her stats as being under the radar better than the eyeball test. But I only watched a limited number of LV games and the one vs us was particularly bad. LV fans have any thoughts on her? If anyone from Tenn, I expected Westbrook.
  • Cierra Porter as 6th woman of the year. Porter's return was important to Mizzou, but she was a starter for the last 10 games after taking 7 to get back into playing form.

Another "oddity" is that, with 16 players named 1st or 2nd team All-SEC, the 15-1 champions' 3rd best player didn't make the cut.

Jordan Danberry averaged 13+ points, 3+ rebounds (not a lot to be had with T & Howard, but she got some), 3+ assists, and nearly 2 steals while wreaking much havoc on D. She was the key piece in Mississippi State being pretty elite vs just very good and one of the most improved players in the country. She also stepped up big in the stretch following the loss of Bibby.

She deserved recognition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2018-19 Phillips 66 All-Big 12 Awards

Coach of the Year: Kim Mulkey, Baylor (19th season at Baylor, 19th overall)
Player of the Year: Bridget Carleton, Iowa State, G, 6-1, Sr., Chatham, Ontario, Canada
Defensive Player of the Year: Lauren Cox, Baylor, F, 6-4, Jr., Flower Mound, Texas
Newcomer of the Year: Vivian Gray, Oklahoma State, G, 6-1, So., Argyle, Texas
Freshman of the Year: Chrislyn Carr, Texas Tech, G, 5-5, Davenport, Iowa
Sixth Man Award: Kari Niblack, West Virginia, F, 6-1, Fr., Leesburg, Fla.

All-Big 12 First Team (honors listed alphabetical by school)

Player School Pos Ht Cl Hometown
Kalani Brown+^** Baylor C 6-7 Sr. Slidell, La.
Lauren Cox+** Baylor F 6-4 Jr. Flower Mound, Texas
Bridget Carleton+^** Iowa State G 6-1 Sr. Chatham, Ontario, Canada
Kayla Goth% Kansas State G 6-1 Sr. DeForest, Wis.
Peyton Williams Kansas State F 6-4 Jr. Topeka, Kan.
Vivian Gray** Oklahoma State G 6-1 So. Argyle, Texas
Jordan Moore TCU C 6-3 Sr. Round Rock, Texas
Sug Sutton Texas G 5-8 Jr. St. Louis, Mo.
Naomi Davenport% West Virginia G/F 6-0 Sr. Cincinnati, Ohio
Tynice Martin^** West Virginia G 5-11 R-Jr. Atlanta, Ga.

All-Big 12 Second Team

Player School Pos Ht Cl Hometown
Chloe Jackson Baylor G 5-8 Gr. Upper Marlboro, Md.
Juicy Landrum Baylor G 5-8 Jr. Waco, Texas
Kristin Scott Iowa State C 6-3 So. Kasson, Minn.
Ana Llanusa Oklahoma G 6-0 So. Choctaw, Okla.
Amy Okonkwo% TCU F 6-2 Sr. Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.

All-Big 12 Honorable Mention
Alexa Middleton (Iowa State), Kylee Kopatich (Kansas), Christalah Lyons (Kansas), Braxtin Miller (Oklahoma State), Joyner Holmes (Texas), Danni Williams (Texas), Brittany Brewer (Texas Tech), Chrislyn Carr (Texas Tech).

Reaction Score
SEC Honors: Westbrook didn't make first or second team. Granted the SEC selects 8 players while the Big 10 selects 10.

First Team All-SEC
Caliya Robinson, Georgia
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Maci Morris, Kentucky
Ayana Mitchell, LSU
Anriel Howard, Mississippi State
Sophie Cunningham, Missouri
Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M
Second Team All-SEC
Chelsea Dungee, Arkansas
Janiah McKay, Auburn
Crystal Allen, Ole Miss
Te'a Cooper, South Carolina
Tyasha Harris, South Carolina
Alexis Jennings, South Carolina
Rennia Davis, Tennessee
Mariella Fasoula, Vanderbilt
All-Freshman
Robyn Benton, Auburn
Blair Green, Kentucky
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Akira Levy, Missouri
Destanni Henderson, South Carolina
Victaria Saxton, South Carolina
Zaay Green, Tennessee
Brinae Alexander, Vanderbilt
All-Defensive
Janiah McKay, Auburn
Caliya Robinson , Georgia
Taylor Murray, Kentucky
Jazzmun Holmes, Mississippi State
Co-Coaches of the Year: Matthew Mitchell, Kentucky and Vic Schaefer, Mississippi State
Player of the Year: Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State
Freshman of the Year: Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Defensive Player of the Year: Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State
6th Woman of the Year: Cierra Porter, Missouri
Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Maci Morris, Kentucky
Ty Harris not on first team is a shock to me. The SC games I have watched Ty was really good. She would be first team on my list.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
BIG EAST Player of the Year

BIG EAST Coach of the Year
Kurt Godlevske, Butler

BIG EAST Freshman of the Year
Mary Baskerville, Providence, Fr., F

BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Year
Michelle Weaver, Butler, Sr., G

BIG EAST Most Improved Player

BIG EAST Sixth-Woman Award
Allazia Blockton, Marquette, Sr., G

BIG EAST Sportsmanship Award
Jannah Tucker, Villanova, Sr., F
Ashton Millender, DePaul, Sr., G

All-BIG EAST First Team
Audrey Faber, Creighton, Sr., F
Mart’e Grays, DePaul, Sr., F
Dionna White, Georgetown, Sr., G

All-BIG EAST Second Team
Dorothy Adomako, Georgetown, Grad., G
Erika Davenport, Marquette, Sr., F
Mary Gedaka, Villanova, Jr., F
Tori Schickel, Butler, Sr., F/C
Chante Stonewall, DePaul, Jr., F

All-BIG EAST Honorable Mention
Tiana England, St. John’s, R-So., G
A’riana Gray, Xavier, So., F
Whitney Jennings, Butler, Sr., G
Jovana Nogic, Providence, Sr., G
Amani Wilborn, Marquette, Sr., G

BIG EAST All-Freshman Team
Kadaja Bailey, St. John’s, Fr., G
Mary Baskerville, Providence, Fr., F*
Emily Esposito, Villanova, R-Fr., G
Lexi Held, DePaul, Fr., G*
Kaela Webb, Providence, Fr., G

*unanimous selection

BIG EAST Announces Women’s Basketball Regular-Season Awards

Mary Baskerville attended Enfield (CT) High. @Blakeon18 mentioned her several times in the past.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Joseph still suspended as Georgia Tech clings to NCAA hopes

From the article ...

Kierra Fletcher and Francesca Pan, two of Georgia Tech's top four scorers, left the team at the same time Joseph was forced out.

Assistant coach Mark Simons, serving as acting head coach, told The Associated Press on Tuesday Fletcher and Pan made the decisions to leave the team.

"We've had no contact with them," Simons said when asked about Fletcher and Pan. "We're told that they're fine. It was a personal decision on their part and that's about it."

Fletcher is a sophomore, Pan is a junior.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I believe WBB attendance at Mississippi State exceeds the men’s team. I have seen post on the Elite dawg message complaining about the lack of support for the men vs the women at MSST, most believe it is because the women’s team draws community support but the men’s team support is mainly students and they only come out for big games.

Mississippi State tickets are also only a couple of bucks for women. Not sure how expensive the men's are, but back to back title game appearances for a school without a rich athletic history is bound to draw crowds.

Reaction Score
My post was just to let people know that the topic was also being discussed her
Kudos to my Aggie friends. With most of TX big names going to Texas, Baylor, etc., A&M consistently has a competitive team. Less talent of late, but always well coached.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

From the article ...

Kierra Fletcher and Francesca Pan, two of Georgia Tech's top four scorers, left the team at the same time Joseph was forced out.

Assistant coach Mark Simons, serving as acting head coach, told The Associated Press on Tuesday Fletcher and Pan made the decisions to leave the team.

"We've had no contact with them," Simons said when asked about Fletcher and Pan. "We're told that they're fine. It was a personal decision on their part and that's about it."

@triaddukefan or someone else please help me with this. The article said Pan and Fletcher left the team at the same time Joseph was forced out. Did the University force Joseph out because she lost two key players or did the players leave because their coach was forced out?

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
@triaddukefan or someone else please help me with this. The article said Pan and Fletcher left the team at the same time Joseph was forced out. Did the University force Joseph out because she lost two key players or did the players leave because their coach was forced out?

This first article doesn't mention Fletcher or Pan not being with the team. Georgia Tech women’s basketball coach placed on leave

But this second one the next day mentions the two did not travel with the team to Miami for "personal reasons"
MaChelle Joseph’s attorney asserts Tech coach was suspended as retaliation

So, from that I'd gather the two left because Joseph was put on leave...but that may be more bizarre ?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Coco:
I'm trying to get my facts/timing straight around that sequencing, as well.

And, excuse the obvious, are the departures of the two players and the unspecified charges regarding Joseph intertwined?

In regards to the grad assistant who was let go for having a private conversation, there must be legal flypaper all over the GT athletic facilities if there is a "no talk to players outside of formal events" order going on.

Geesh...this one has the appearance of a quagmire getting murkier...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This first article doesn't mention Fletcher or Pan not being with the team. Georgia Tech women’s basketball coach placed on leave

But this second one the next day mentions the two did not travel with the team to Miami for "personal reasons"
MaChelle Joseph’s attorney asserts Tech coach was suspended as retaliation

So, from that I'd gather the two left because Joseph was put on leave...but that may be more bizarre ?
Equally bizarre is the new GT coach saying "We're told that they're fine." Doesn't sound like they are coming back unless or until the old coach is returned. Pan is Italian and an intriguing prospect.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State tickets are also only a couple of bucks for women. Not sure how expensive the men's are, but back to back title game appearances for a school without a rich athletic history is bound to draw crowds.

MSU has done a ton to make the games a family experience, and the girls on the team are rock stars to the kids that come to the game. It is pretty bizarre to see hundreds on people lined up for autographs and photo ops with the players after every game we play.

It is a good environment for all parties involved, and it is fairly inexpensive entertainment as far as family outings go. As long as the team remains competitive, I don't see this changing.

Reaction Score
MSU has done a ton to make the games a family experience, and the girls on the team are rock stars to the kids that come to the game. It is pretty bizarre to see hundreds on people lined up for autographs and photo ops with the players after every game we play.

It is a good environment for all parties involved, and it is fairly inexpensive entertainment as far as family outings go. As long as the team remains competitive, I don't see this changing.
I wonder how different it is at other schools. Was it different at MSU before Vic? It sounds a lot like how Gary Blair promotes in the community but then Vic was here for a long time. You guys are killing us in attendance, though. I’m really impressed with your student turnout.

This was a cool thing they did after the game Sunday

Reaction Score
I wonder how different it is at other schools. Was it different at MSU before Vic? It sounds a lot like how Gary Blair promotes in the community but then Vic was here for a long time. You guys are killing us in attendance, though. I’m really impressed with your student turnout.

This was a cool thing they did after the game Sunday

I know that Vic has said he saw how Blair built up programs in the community and modeled what he did at State after that. We had a fan base ripe for the picking. Men's basketball had been irrelevant for a decade, and no other sports were competing at a national level except baseball at times.

Baseball has its own culture at State that has been there for decades, and football will always be football in the SEC. But after that, our fan base needed something positive. Vic came in at the right time to capitalize on that, and that's why fans would build a statue for him right now. No one went to the games before Vic.

Plebe

Reaction Score

From the article ...

What's the temperature like in Hotlanta?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom