NON-Uconn WCBB News | Page 15 | The Boneyard

NON-Uconn WCBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
State's attendance picked up later in the season.... they had maybe three sellouts in the last month. Arena seats 5,500. Wake Forest attendance was bolstered by a kids day crowd of almost 10,000..... and the game vs Duke of i think 2,100 or so. Take away those games.... they average less than 600 fans...... in an arena that seats 14,400. :eek::eek::eek: :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Reaction Score
Another reason to not be overly concerned about Baylor being at a disadvantaged if they're placed in G-boro vs NCS.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing. There will always be a stigma between men and women college basketball. The thing that bothers me the most about the attendance of women college basketball is the students rarely attend the women games.

Obvious South Carolina, Tennessee, UConn, Notre Dame, Louisville and Baylor are exceptions to the rule.

One day someone will do a study on the gap in attendance between the men and women basketball teams in the Power 5 conferences plus UConn.

When it comes to student attendance, South Carolina is not an exception to the rule. Student section is normally pretty miserable even though Dawn has done about all she can to galvanize them. I’ve felt for a few years, some of those student section seats should be turned into more reserved seating.

Reaction Score
When it comes to student attendance, South Carolina is not an exception to the rule. Student section is normally pretty miserable even though Dawn has done about all she can to galvanize them. I’ve felt for a few years, some of those student section seats should be turned into more reserved seating.
This is what Maryland does except for the famous wall student section. But we don't have 5 figure attendance except for when we play UConn or the annual field trip game in November. .

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
How many actually paid for their tickets? Sellout is not a term that can be used with WCB. Standing Room Only is a better descriptor. As the older crowd who like and appreciate "old school" basketball shrinks who, if anyone, will replace them?

Attendance numbers (overall games) for the ACC this year:
  • ACC Mean (average): 3027
  • ACC Median (middle value): 2417
  • ACC Range (difference between largest and smallest): 8768
ACC Attendance numbers excluding Notre Dame and Louisville:
  • Mean (average): 2121
  • Median (middle value): 1717
  • Range (difference between largest and smallest): 2804
NOTES
  • In terms of total overall numbers, Notre Dame and Louisville accounted for 38.87 percent of ACC attendance this year.
  • Despite Duke's worst record since 1992-1993, the Blue Devils rank third in ACC attendance with 3883 per game (bolstered by a sellout crowd -- 9,314 -- against UNC in the season finale).
  • Miami, NC State, and Syracuse will all finish the regular season being ranked in the Top 25, yet collectively averaged 2322 fans per game.
View attachment 40467
@triaddukefan , @willtalk , @EricLA , @ucbart

Reaction Score
Congrats to all

Gustafson was incredible and Mikesell is gonna be a terror these next three years, the girl can stroke it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Has there ever been a clearer choice for conference POY who wasn't on the 1st-place team?

Interesting that the Sixth POY is also a freshman (Hillmon), and I'd say a clear-cut choice here as well. She's also on the conference First Team, alongside her teammate Thome. Watch out for Hillmon next year.

I'm not sure many of us expected the COY award to go to Frese, considering that Maryland was expected to win the conference and they barely did.

Reaction Score
Has there ever been a clearer choice for conference POY who wasn't on the 1st-place team?

Interesting that the Sixth POY is also a freshman (Hillmon), and I'd say a clear-cut choice here as well. She's also on the conference First Team, alongside her teammate Thome. Watch out for Hillmon next year.

I'm not sure many of us expected the COY award to go to Frese, considering that Maryland was expected to win the conference and they barely did.
To your first point, I remember Alyssa Thomas winning several POYs in the ACC when Maryland didn't win the conference. To the second point, Stringer was the shoo-in to win it before they slide down the stretch. There really wasn't any other choice but to give it to the conference winner.

Reaction Score
Why isn't this posted under the NON-UCONN WCBB news thread or have I misunderstood @HuskyNan's pinned thread? Personally I don't come here to hear about conferences/team/players/etc. I thought that was why the inerwebs invented Google and why most conferences and teams have their own websites.
Time to ignore another thread.
Sorry, if the mods want to merge this with the other thread, that's cool.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I can understand how you would've thought this was a thread about UConn given its title "Attendance - ACC"

@CamrnCrz1974 , please try to be less confusing next time :rolleyes:

Probably looked at the monitor too quick and thought it said AAC

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A few hours after I said people were leaving the board because there are too many threads about other teams, two people start threads about other conferences. I know about 15-20 UConn fans are fine with this but I’ve been swamped with complaints from many others. I can’t let 20 people decide how the board is going to be run

I’m trying to set up a general wcbb board here on the Boneyard. That way, people can flow freely back and forth, posting wherever they like. And if I feel there are too many non-UConn threads, I’ll just move them to the general interest board. game threads would also be allowed

Reaction Score
A few hours after I said people were leaving the board because there are too many threads about other teams, two people start threads about other conferences. I know about 15-20 UConn fans are fine with this but I’ve been swamped with complaints from many others. I can’t let 20 people decide how the board is going to be run

I’m trying to set up a general wcbb board here on the Boneyard. That way, people can flow freely back and forth, posting wherever they like. And if I feel there are too many non-UConn threads, I’ll just move them to the general interest board. game threads would also be allowed

Ok, then can I complain about all the OT posts?

No, don't respond - you've got enough to do (!!) - but I just find it odd that folks have more of a problem with a post about the ACC than ones about pro golf or soccer. And the zillionth thread (this year) on Tennessee.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
To your first point, I remember Alyssa Thomas winning several POYs in the ACC when Maryland didn't win the conference. To the second point, Stringer was the shoo-in to win it before they slide down the stretch. There really wasn't any other choice but to give it to the conference winner.

I think the decision to give the COY award to Maryland was a pretty safe one. And quite candidly, pretty uninspired.

- C. Viv was clearly on her way until Rutgers had a bit of slide and she, in fact, placed herself on leave until the NCAAs. But guess what, they've won 3 straight and finished at 14-4, all of one game behind the Terps and certainly way, way ahead of what was expected. Since the situation on the banks of the Raritan looks a little crazed (just who is coaching this team?), folks looked elsewhere.

- The other coach who I think completely outperformed expectations after he and his team found their feat was this board's friend in Columbus, Kevin McGuff. Ohio State finished 10-8 in league play, with a combination of grad transfers, little-used players from last year, four frosh and duct tape. And guess what, the frosh are pretty darn good. Look out for next year when a very good recruiting class joins them.

- I'm with Plebe on this one. Brenda, who btw I've got nothing against, had a solid returning class and two super frosh. She did what she was supposed to...win the B1G regular season title.

- Lastly, I liked the way they figured out how to give Hillmon and Mikesell individual awards. Hillmon could be a monster. ND once had an interest in her...guess it wasn't mutual. All power to Naz and Michigan: she's a good one.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

No, don't respond - you've got enough to do (!!) - but I just find it odd that folks have more of a problem with a post about the ACC than ones about pro golf or soccer. And the zillionth thread (this year) on Tennessee.
I agree with you about OT threads, especially ones that are about some well known Women's sporting events. If I was interested in those I would probably look at ESPN.
But during the offseason, I do enjoy some of the musical OT threads...in fact I have started 1 or 10:).
The UConn Women's Basketball forum is the only one that I ever look at on the BY, in fact my bookmark comes directly to it.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

People are trying to start conversations about anything to drown out the non-UConn basketball chatter. And we’ve always had OT threads here anyway

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I think the decision to give the COY award to Maryland was a pretty safe one. And quite candidly, pretty uninspired.

- C. Viv was clearly on her way until Rutgers had a bit of slide and she, in fact, placed herself on leave until the NCAAs. But guess what, they've won 3 straight and finished at 14-4, all of one game behind the Terps and certainly way, way ahead of what was expected. Since the situation on the banks of the Raritan looks a little crazed (just who is coaching this team?), folks looked elsewhere.

- The other coach who I think completely outperformed expectations after he and his team found their feat was this board's friend in Columbus, Kevin McGuff. Ohio State finished 10-8 in league play, with a combination of grad transfers, little-used players from last year, four frosh and duct tape. And guess what, the frosh are pretty darn good. Look out for next year when a very good recruiting class joins them.

- I'm with Plebe on this one. Brenda, who btw I've got nothing against, had a solid returning class and two super frosh. She did what she was supposed to...win the B1G regular season title.

- Lastly, I liked the way they figured out how to give Hillmon and Mikesell individual awards. Hillmon could be a monster. ND once had an interest in her...guess it wasn't mutual. All power to Naz and Michigan: she's a good one.

A tad been off on the RU stats--they finished 13-5, finishing in third (behind 13-3 MD and 12-4 Iowa). After the miserable 3-game slide, they finished season winning 4/5--the final four games without CVS (going 3-1). Losing two players to discipline issues, the losing streak, and the CVS situation left things looking somewhat dire. But Coach Eatman and the team have weathered the storm, had comeback victories against both MN and Ohio State, and are now pressing nearly 40min a game. CVS is apparently out until the NCAAs, but the team has seemed to get itself back together in her absence.

Reaction Score
Attendance numbers (overall games) for the ACC this year:
  • ACC Mean (average): 3027
  • ACC Median (middle value): 2417
  • ACC Range (difference between largest and smallest): 8768
ACC Attendance numbers excluding Notre Dame and Louisville:
  • Mean (average): 2121
  • Median (middle value): 1717
  • Range (difference between largest and smallest): 2804
NOTES
  • In terms of total overall numbers, Notre Dame and Louisville accounted for 38.87 percent of ACC attendance this year.
  • Despite Duke's worst record since 1992-1993, the Blue Devils rank third in ACC attendance with 3883 per game (bolstered by a sellout crowd -- 9,314 -- against UNC in the season finale).
  • Miami, NC State, and Syracuse will all finish the regular season being ranked in the Top 25, yet collectively averaged 2322 fans per game.
View attachment 40467
@triaddukefan , @willtalk , @EricLA , @ucbart
That’s actually kind of depressing that ND and Louisville are the only two that can really draw crowds on a consistent basis

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Hooray we got this one in the right thread :)

Mildly shocked (is that an oxymoron?) that Rennia Davis made 2nd team and Westbrook didn't. I thought Davis had really bad games for at least half of conference play.

Mitchell and Schaefer as co-COY makes good sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom