NON-Uconn WCBB News | Page 9 | The Boneyard

NON-Uconn WCBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I want us to win but I also want a new HC...

Does that make me a bad fan? :(
I wouldn't say a bad fan. A conflicted fan, caught between short- and long-term perspectives, I'd say.

Plebe

Reaction Score
MSU,SC,TAMU,KY,Mizzou are surely in.
GA has a really easy sked and will climb in the standings.
That's 6.

You really think 3-4 down the stretch will be enough to beat out Ark, Aub, Tenn?
I don't think NCAA tournament selection will hinge on conference standings. The committee will be very cognizant of the unbalanced schedule, in which LSU has to play MSU, A&M and KY twice each. Compare that to the lots drawn by the other 3 teams you mention:
  • AR plays Ole Miss, Mizzou and GA twice each.
  • Auburn plays Bama, TN and Mizzou twice each.
  • TN plays Auburn, Mizzou and Vandy twice each.
That's a huge difference. LSU has 7 of its 16 SEC games against the top 4 teams in the conference. Each of the others only has 4.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I want us to win but I also want a new HC...

Does that make me a bad fan? :(

I have had similar thoughts all season at the Ohio St. games. I was pleased when we went on our 6 game losing streak but then was super happy when we won against ranked teams because it was a big surprise (Heck, they beat UNC at one point this season). But then I realized if OSU finished significantly higher than expected it'll be seen as a good coaching job and we'll be stuck with him.

It's a tough line to walk. I don't think it makes you (or me) bad fans. We just want what is best or at least a change from the status quo.

Plebe

Reaction Score
There's a non-UConn WBB news thread.

Reaction Score
Espinoza-Hunter has started the last 3 games for Miss. St., averaging 10. My apology if I'm not supposed to post other team info here anymore.
Here is my assessment of AEH after being a starter for a few games.
- She seems to have a great personality and seems to fit in well. I was fully expecting that she and Vic would butt heads often, but she seems to be happy to do whatever is asked of her.
- She certainly has the ability to become a player that can put up really big numbers in games. When she is hot, she will pick up a lot of points in just a few trips.
- She is better going to the basket than she is at shooting the 3, so I would like to see more of that.
- Her defense is improving, but she still has a ways to go. She is learning to take a charge, and she really gets pumped when she takes one.
- She is slow. If she is first line of defense on a turn-over or long rebound, the opponent is generally running past her. If she has a chance at a fast break bucket, she is generally going to get cut off. Bibby was really slow as a freshman, but that improved after a lot of work during the off-season. I hope we see similar off-court work from AEH before next year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Espinoza-Hunter has started the last 3 games for Miss. St., averaging 10. My apology if I'm not supposed to post other team info here anymore.

Here is my assessment of AEH after being a starter for a few games..

Just curious as to what prompted Vic to make this change in the starting lineup: Promotion=AEH was playing well. Demotion: Someone was playing poorly. Injury?

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
- She seems to have a great personality and seems to fit in well. I was fully expecting that she and Vic would butt heads often, but she seems to be happy to do whatever is asked of her.
- She certainly has the ability to become a player that can put up really big numbers in games. When she is hot, she will pick up a lot of points in just a few trips.
- She is better going to the basket than she is at shooting the 3, so I would like to see more of that.
- Her defense is improving, but she still has a ways to go. She is learning to take a charge, and she really gets pumped when she takes one.
- She is slow. If she is first line of defense on a turn-over or long rebound, the opponent is generally running past her. If she has a chance at a fast break bucket, she is generally going to get cut off. Bibby was really slow as a freshman, but that improved after a lot of work during the off-season. I hope we see similar off-court work from AEH before next year.

Well said.

I don't know if I would call her slow, but she certainly isn't above average at this level of basketball. Our smaller guards both have elite quicks.

I think she has the potential to be a deadly 3 pt shooter if she works hard. That quick release is pure. It's becoming obvious Vic sees her in a Blair Schaefer role with a higher ceiling because of her size and she seems to be buying in.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Just curious as to what prompted Vic to make this change in the starting lineup: Promotion=AEH was playing well. Demotion: Someone was playing poorly. Injury?

She began starting after Bibby was lost for the season vs SC. She and Bre Scott will alternate trying to fill that role.

Reaction Score
Oregon State will be a very tall team over the next few years:
6'9" Andrea Acquino (can play multiple positions)
6'9" Jelena Mitrovic (true center)
6'7" Patrica Morris (post player)
6'6" Kennedy Brown (can play multiple positions)
6'3" Taylor Jones (can play multiple positions)
6'3" Taya Corsodale (plays multiple positions)

Oregon State: Home of the Tall Trees

I have to believe Oregon State recruiting is going after a few wings/guards next:

Sasha Goforth
Caitlin Clark
Haley Van Lith

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have had similar thoughts all season at the Ohio St. games. I was pleased when we went on our 6 game losing streak but then was super happy when we won against ranked teams because it was a big surprise (Heck, they beat UNC at one point this season). But then I realized if OSU finished significantly higher than expected it'll be seen as a good coaching job and we'll be stuck with him.

It's a tough line to walk. I don't think it makes you (or me) bad fans. We just want what is best or at least a change from the status quo.
Without needing tons of detail - why do folks dislike the current HC so much? I know he gets no respect here on the BY, but for the life of me I'm stumped how folks come to the conclusion he's awful. I'm not claiming he's great, but still . . . As an aside, I have to add that I met him when he was at Washington and they were playing at Arizona and he was quite nice in person.

Reaction Score
I think Andi defense is better than her offense. I actually believe her defense is very good. I think she has the potential to be really good offensively if she can just get some confidence in her shot, she has a pretty stroke and the more she plays the better the shot looks. She does not appear slow to me just the opposite but she is not the physical presence that Bibby and Blair gave the Dawgs. IMHO she needs to quit thinking about her shot and just let it happen, she has the talent.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's Young mum on WNBA draft

“I really haven’t thought about anything, but if I did decide anything, I guess that would be after the season,” Young said of whether she has a timeline in mind for her decision.

Irish coach Muffet McGraw said earlier Wednesday that she has not talked with Young about the possibility of turning pro.

“I would fully expect her to come back,” McGraw said, “but we have not had that discussion.”

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Without needing tons of detail - why do folks dislike the current HC so much? I know he gets no respect here on the BY, but for the life of me I'm stumped how folks come to the conclusion he's awful. I'm not claiming he's great, but still . . . As an aside, I have to add that I met him when he was at Washington and they were playing at Arizona and he was quite nice in person.

I can't speak for all the OSU fans, but myself and other fans I've spoken too just feel like he's underperformed with all the talent he had on the roster. He was brought in to go further in the NCAA's than Foster had been yet, he's had equivalent success rate and I'd think McGuff's talent level was higher his previous two season (Mitchell/Harper/Mavunga/Doss/Hart, and they had good chemistry). Maybe similar talent to the Jantel Lavender/Brittany Johnson/Sammy Prahalis/Tayler Hill season but they (that team not those three specifically) had a lot of chemistry issues that caused issues. The gentleman who sits next to me at the games, says (reguarly) "He doesn't know what he's doing out there." and many fans were annoyed with the style of play he was implementing last season, rush and chuck up a 3pointer. And the Mitchel&Co.l seasons (which, i know...) he never looked like he had any sort of game plan during the game. He looked stumped and unable to make in game adjustments. The only reason OSU won the regular season title last year was because Maryland, for some reason, fell apart in their last four games and OSU had the tiebreaker win.

I will say though, I went to the game last night, and I could see improvement within the team from the beginning of the season. The talent level is not where the teams have been in seasons past, but I think these players have learned to play with each other and are enjoying growing with each other, most of them. McGuff has stepped away from the "offensive" schemes he ran last year (and at the beginning of this season) and is working to play more to the these players strengths, i.e. Grande's playmaking and scrappiness, Santoro's quickness and toughness to the basket, Crooms' confidence in slashing to the basket, instead of asking them to only look for the three point opportunity. In the beginning, they didn't look like they knew how to penetrate and would just pass around the arc and hope a three opportunity would open up. Dorka Juhasz would also post up strong and work to make space for herself but they guards wouldn't even look to her, which was an issue they had last season when the guards wouldn't even look to Mavunga as an option. But that has changed more so recently. We still take more than I think the players should (until they practice more) but whatever. They also play tougher Defense than OSU teams past, which is nice, still could use a more defensive minded assistant coach to take them to the next level though. It's a shame Caretti hasn't blossomed more. She is athletically gifted, long, and a creative passer but she just doesn't seem to be in it mentally and he doesn't trust her enough. But she's a junior and he recruited her and this would be the season to get her game-time experience since we aren't expected to win the league or anything and to get her confidence up.

I think this season has turned out better than I, and many, expected and maybe he'll win back the fans more so, but last night at the game when they introduce the teams the fans were loud and excited for all the players announced but when McGuff's name was announced the cheers dropped significantly. I've also heard from a coach in the area whose player he was recruiting, that when he'd come around, which wasn't often, he just seemed a bit socially awkward. I just don't know if he does enough within the community to gain that support? But maybe I'm wrong and I'm (a young professional with no kids) not his target for community activation. Haha.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame's Young mum on WNBA draft

“I really haven’t thought about anything, but if I did decide anything, I guess that would be after the season,” Young said of whether she has a timeline in mind for her decision.

Irish coach Muffet McGraw said earlier Wednesday that she has not talked with Young about the possibility of turning pro.

“I would fully expect her to come back,” McGraw said, “but we have not had that discussion.”
Sounds like she's gone - no "staying" vibe at all.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Sounds like she's gone - no "staying" vibe at all.

I really don't know.

In the GT postgame presser she was asked about playing with the underclassmen and said "I know I have next year with them. I'm trying to build a relationship with them."

It doesn't sound like she has one foot out the door, but I'm certainly more nervous about her leaving than I was before reading this article.

Then again, Jackie's very quiet and tends to reveal nothing of her feelings, so a flat non-answer like "I haven't even thought about it" is exactly what I would expect.

Guess, I'll get to sweat this all the way to April and we'll see what happens then. :eek:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Kinda random. Nike connection? Or a fan of Ionescu? My observation is that Ionescu is the most popular current women's college player by a mile.

Anyway, can't fault the guy. They are fun to watch. And cool to see LeBron continuing to support the women's game.

Reaction Score
Kinda random. Nike connection? Or a fan of Ionescu? My observation is that Ionescu is the most popular current women's college player by a mile.

Anyway, can't fault the guy. They are fun to watch. And cool to see LeBron continuing to support the women's game.

I think it’s a little of both. They are indeed fun to watch and I suspect since he’s on the left coast now that he gets to watch them a lot. Same with Kobe Bryant. Huge UCONN fan but has been seen quite a lot at UCLA and USC games. There are a lot of NBA players supporting the women’s game and it’s such a great thing to see.

Reaction Score
Oregon State will be a very tall team over the next few years:
6'9" Andrea Acquino (can play multiple positions)
6'9" Jelena Mitrovic (true center)
6'7" Patrica Morris (post player)
6'6" Kennedy Brown (can play multiple positions)
6'3" Taylor Jones (can play multiple positions)
6'3" Taya Corsodale (plays multiple positions)

h0jxmpp.jpg

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

LeBron done the same thing for the Ohio State team in the past. Not sure about this season. Haha But that makes more sense than Oregon. But good for the sport if people are talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom