NON-Uconn WCBB News | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NON-Uconn WCBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dawn likes to create an us against everybody else environment for her team and really is an intense presence when coaching..................I've met her several times and she was extremely friendly in person........

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
For some reason she has seemed to get a bad reputation at times. I like her she brings a certain swagger to coaching that I like.

On the court, she’s brash.. she’s tough.. she’s not smooth around the edges.. she swears.. she’s not a lady.. she’s VERY Philly. She’s a true competitor. Always has been and always will be. The “us against them” chip is very much a mentality of the environment she grew up in.

A lot of people can’t handle that from a woman, let alone a woman like Dawn (If you know then you know).

But away from basketball, she’s an actual sweetheart and she does A LOT for people.. family, friends and strangers alike. She’s revered in her communities for a reason, Philadelphia and South Carolina.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Dawn likes to create an us against everybody else environment for her team and really is an intense presence when coaching...I've met her several times and she was extremely friendly in person...
Maybe because a certain other highly irritable coach who rubs people the wrong way, never admits mistakes and is too smug for most, I don't really see this issue with Dawn. I liked when ESPN showed the pregame handshake and quick discussion between her and Vic as well. There are plenty of other coaches who I really despise that have the "us vs. everybody else" mentality that exhibit it a lot more than Dawn, so if she has it, I don't see it .

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, that makes three coaches from Philly who take no guff on the floor, whether it's the game or practice. And it's no surprise that posters on most WBB boards know them on a first name basis: Dawn, Geno and Muffet.

I've read about Dawn's work in the community, as I have Geno's and MM is renowned in South Bend for her community efforts.

Reaction Score
Dawn is a great person who really loves the sport and respects it's history. I thought it was lovely of her to come to see Coach Stringer's 1000 win game. She came with Jolette Law. They both took time from their busy schedules to be there to pay respect to their friend (and mentor in Jolette's case) and the first African American woman to achieve that milestone. She is one classy lady.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
It’s interesting watching Dawn mature as a coach. She’s definitely becoming wiser and seasoned. Her game demeanor has slowly changed over the years... in the beginning.. A LOT of yelling, jumping up and down, screaming at refs, standing the entire game, snarling for 40 minutes.

Nowadays, she still yaps at refs if she doesn’t like a call, and she snarls and rolls her eyes every now and then.. but she’s way more calm during games, putting more of her energy in things she can control (like her team), she smiles more, she’s even sitting down more (maybe her feet just hurt nowadays though haha). She’s maturing as a coach and it’s wonderful to see.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I agree with SC Gamecock; I've noticed the same things. When she took that job, I thought she was crazy but she has built a winner at South Carolina.

Reaction Score
I think at some point it would be nice to see her back at VA to get them back as an elite program, although that usually is a tough task for someone. I did it on the D2 level & the 1st year or so was caught off guard by some of the additional things being a former successful player in the program brought along with it.

Reaction Score
Not a big fan. Blown out by second quarter in Albany last March. Last night, her team maxed out their talent, and couldn't compete with Miss St. I realize peeps don't like negativity, but I don't want her as Olympic coach.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Liked Staley when she played for UVA and the Charlotte Sting (RIP) .... glad she is doing well down in Columbia. Gives their fans something to cheer about..... since their FB and Men's team wont be winning anything anytime soon. No offense intended :cool:

Reaction Score
On the court, she’s brash.. she’s tough.. she’s not smooth around the edges.. she swears.. she’s not a lady.. she’s VERY Philly. She’s a true competitor. Always has been and always will be. The “us against them” chip is very much a mentality of the environment she grew up in.

A lot of people can’t handle that from a woman, let alone a woman like Dawn (If you know then you know).

But away from basketball, she’s an actual sweetheart and she does A LOT for people.. family, friends and strangers alike. She’s revered in her communities for a reason, Philadelphia and South Carolina.
Obviously a very good, becoming a great coach, worked with Geno, and followed him as USA national team coach. I was impressed that she saw Stewie as the main player on the team, as young as she is. Her acceptance, I'm sure along with Sue, and DT Madre that possible.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Liked Staley when she played for UVA and the Charlotte Sting (RIP) .... glad she is doing well down in Columbia. Gives their fans something to cheer about..... since their FB and Men's team wont be winning anything anytime soon. No offense intended :cool:
You mean our men's team that is atop the SEC, currently, and beat Duke in the NCAAT 2 years ago?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Her language(during a game) is not too "classy."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You mean our men's team that is atop the SEC, currently, and beat Duke in the NCAAT 2 years ago?

that was a fluke.... game should have never been held in Greenville. I'll leave it at that... since i dont want this post to get deleted

wait a minute.. i just looked at the SEC Standings... you guys are only 9-8 :confused:

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
that was a fluke.... game should have never been held in Greenville. I'll leave it at that... since i dont want this post to get deleted

wait a minute.. i just looked at the SEC Standings... you guys are only 9-8 :confused:

We were 4-0 in the SEC when I made that post.

So, the game was in Greenville? How many times does Duke play in Greensboro, Raleigh or Charlotte for the NCAAT? BTW, we had a lot more fans at MSG for the Regional than we had in Greenville for the 1st 2 rounds.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
We were 4-0 in the SEC when I made that post.

So, the game was in Greenville? How many times does Duke play in Greensboro, Raleigh or Charlotte for the NCAAT? BTW, we had a lot more fans at MSG for the Regional than we had in Greenville for the 1st 2 rounds.

As a 1 seed or a 2 seed ... not a 7th seed like yall were in Greenville. Its not NC's fault there are three 20,000 seat arenas in 3 separate metro areas spread through our state

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Well, Duke and/or UNC will likely get to come to Columbia for the 1st and 2nd rounds this year.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Duke and UVA. We dont wanna be in the same arena as those baby blue bastids fans :mad:

They did enjoy watching Frank Martin's boys put 65 points up on Coach K in the second half of that game in Greenville. I can understand the reluctance to be in the same building again. ;)

Reaction Score
It's simple, really. Dawn is a streetfighter and Geno has CD.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
They did enjoy watching Frank Martin's boys put 65 points up on Coach K in the second half of that game in Greenville. I can understand the reluctance to be in the same building again. ;)

Basically all that did was give UNC the title. Duke was the only team capable of knocking them off in the tournament. Those west coast chokers (gongaza and Oregon) spit the bit

actually the reluctance was being in the same building as the real Carolina .;) ... SC doesnt wanna see Duke this year in basketball (men's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom