Non-UConn recruiting thread | Page 48 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn recruiting thread

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Def feel like SC would be the favorites with these finalists or TCU who is close to home

Could be. NIL could also influence her decision, and LSU is not too far away from her Houston home. Depth chart could deter her away from SC depending on her projected position in college.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
A college newspaper writing about an unsigned girls' high school basketball recruit is not the norm . . .

On paper, Chavez’s game speaks for itself, but off the court people have plenty of things to say. Amarillo sports insider Lance Lahnert has covered the area for more than 40 years and says he has never seen a prospect like Chavez.

“Aaliyah Chavez is one-of-one,” Lahnert said. “By that I mean her impact on a basketball court and off has pretty much never before been seen in the 806 by a high school player … I’ve never seen a Kim Mulkey show up in Plainview, Texas, for a blowout bi-district game like last year just to see Chavez.”

Chavez’s recruitment is an interesting spectacle as well due to NIL and the rise of popularity in women’s basketball. Lahnert says any school that invests in her will have a big payout.

“Wherever Chavez decides to take her skills — and I hear the NIL number is north of a $1 million buckos — that team immediately gets much better because of her basketball IQ and skills,” Lahnert said.

While this is a hefty price to pay, Longhorn fans are eager for her commitment. Texas Exes’ social ambassador Jack Maddox, also known as “Bevo Hat Guy,” has shown support for Chavez in her comment section. Maddox believes Chavez will be a massive hit for the Longhorns.

“She’s a generational talent,” Maddox said. “I think it would impact fan attendance by bringing more people over. There will definitely be a Caitlin Clark effect once she proves herself at games.”

Chavez has yet to officially visit the other front-runner in her recruitment, Texas Tech; however, On3.com estimates that Tech currently leads in her recruitment, favorited at 32.5%, with Texas trailing at 28.4%.

Reaction Score
Could be. NIL could also influence her decision, and LSU is not too far away from her Houston home. Depth chart could deter her away from SC depending on her projected position in college.
I wouldn't think so unless she demands a starting position which doesn't seem likely.

A lot of opportunity to play behind Fulwiley and Tessa Johnson as a freshman. Currently a relatively thin depth chart at guard/wing.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I wouldn't think so unless she demands a starting position which doesn't seem likely.

A lot of opportunity to play behind Fulwiley and Tessa Johnson as a freshman. Currently a relatively thin depth chart at guard/wing.

Isn't Fulwiley a lightning quick shooting guard? That is not McDowell's position as I think she is kind of a SF/PF tweener.

Reaction Score
Could be. NIL could also influence her decision, and LSU is not too far away from her Houston home. Depth chart could deter her away from SC depending on her projected position in college
I dont see Mulkey beating Dawn out for a recruit she got to campus and wanted, unless SC lands a better option than McDowell and says no, that’s the only way it’s gonna happen

plus NIL isn’t among the important things for her. She says she wants to go to a program/school that feels like home and provides her the resources for her in basketball as well as engineering degree goals.

Mark Campbell has a lot of momentum going on recruiting wise and TCU is close to home. We shall see though.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I'd say it's between TCU and SC.

McDowell was always a back up option to ZaKiyah Johnson, so I don't really know how hard LSU pushed for her. We'll see if that comes back to bite.

McDowell has a very big upside, so it's kind of a bummer for sure, but LSU's focus is on Knox, and Johnson.

Reaction Score
Isn't Fulwiley a lightning quick shooting guard? That is not McDowell's position as I think she is kind of a SF/PF tweener.

She looks like she could play 2-4 to me, especially as a reserve. Probably a three.

If I pencil in Fulwiley at 2 and Tessa Johnson at 3 next year, there currently isn't necessarily a projected backup at either spot.

If Raven goes pro, you would only have three guards on the roster.

In that scenario, fulwiley would figure to have to give PG minutes with McDaniel.

Obviously the portal will likely address holes.

Reaction Score
She’s a 3 and Tessa will be the only 3 on the roster

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Mark Campbell has a lot of momentum going on recruiting wise and TCU is close to home. We shall see though.

What recruiting momentum does TCU have? I've seen they got a couple of 2025 commitments from tall international players, and one tall player from Virginia who I don't believe is highly-ranked by any recruiting service. Not sure any of those recruits will be a pied-piper to attract elite U.S. recruits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom