Non-UConn recruiting thread | Page 42 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn recruiting thread

Reaction Score
I'm old and bitter. The social media posts of kids in the uniforms on official visits that are two years out from enrolling as well as the now perfunctory posts about gratitude or even "committed" when in reality few will stick with where they initially visit or even enroll at this point makes me jaded about the whole process.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. I realize these are just kids we are talking about. Ignore my old self.

Reaction Score
I'm old and bitter. The social media posts of kids in the uniforms on official visits that are two years out from enrolling as well as the now perfunctory posts about gratitude or even "committed" when in reality few will stick with where they initially visit or even enroll at this point makes me jaded about the whole process.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest. I realize these are just kids we are talking about. Ignore my old self.
It's not coming across old and bitter to me. It's a valid point as these things have watered down the whole process. It's more about marketing themselves than truly appreciating the process.

I get the allure of a recruit being able to take pictures in a jersey. For some, it may serve as a visual reminder of their goal. At the same time, I'm fully aware that it is likely a lot of fluff that won't matter in the long run.

I struggle with it because for some of these kids, this an experience they'll always remember. As a parent, I can see why they enjoy these so much. Yet, with how these visits are now expected, the real value to what they were supposed to be about seem pointless.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

When this kind of lull hits, do as @triaddukefan does: find a good place to eat and enjoy a refreshing adult beverage.
Control your own menu! ;)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ND Coaches on the Road to See Class of 2026

More recruiting contact-period travel for the Irish. ND assistant coach Charel Allen goes to The Steward School in Virginia to check out Sanai Green (rated #12 in Prospects Nation and ASGR, #29 in Hoopgurlz. Other wings in the '26 mix: Savvy Swords was just on campus in South Bend and ND recruiting director Michaela Mabrey went to Missouri to see Addison Bjorn.

Thanks to the Bench's RISteve and NDhoopsrecruits for reporting....

Reaction Score
It's not coming across old and bitter to me. It's a valid point as these things have watered down the whole process. It's more about marketing themselves than truly appreciating the process.

I get the allure of a recruit being able to take pictures in a jersey. For some, it may serve as a visual reminder of their goal. At the same time, I'm fully aware that it is likely a lot of fluff that won't matter in the long run.

I struggle with it because for some of these kids, this an experience they'll always remember. As a parent, I can see why they enjoy these so much. Yet, with how these visits are now expected, the real value to what they were supposed to be about seem pointless.
You summed this up more eloquently and positively than I could today. These are kids who have dreamed of playing college ball, let alone D1, and are just enjoying the process. Everything now is pretty much self promotion no matter the venue or opportunity but this one bugs me for reasons that don't make a lot of sense lol.

I think where I've become jaded is how heavily the recruiting process is promoted by the athletes themselves with their lists, promo pics, and eventual committment, then signing day, then arrival on campus etc. Then it seems like a third or more of them enter the portal after a season or two and the cycle repeats as they search for their new team.

Reaction Score
When this kind of lull hits, do as @triaddukefan does: find a good place to eat and enjoy a refreshing adult beverage.
Control your own menu! ;)
I probably need to snap out of it. I was a huge SEC football fan besides posting here and following WCBB but the last couple of years with NIL and the portal have significantly dampened my enthusiasm SEC football given there are no divisions, huge mega conferences out there, and so on.

Reaction Score
You summed this up more eloquently and positively than I could today. These are kids who have dreamed of playing college ball, let alone D1, and are just enjoying the process. Everything now is pretty much self promotion no matter the venue or opportunity but this one bugs me for reasons that don't make a lot of sense lol.

I think where I've become jaded is how heavily the recruiting process is promoted by the athletes themselves with their lists, promo pics, and eventual committment, then signing day, then arrival on campus etc. Then it seems like a third or more of them enter the portal after a season or two and the cycle repeats as they search for their new team.

I'm with you there, but fortunately there still are athletes out there who aren't overly concerned and won't follow the crowd. From a Canadian perspective, Aaliyah Edwards kept her recruitment close to the vest. Syla Swords was an unknown until she committed to Michigan. Not much was known about Cassandre Prosper if memory serves correct.

The problem here isn't all on the kids though. Adults (parents, coaches, trainers, etc.) have a lot to do with why this is happening. Are parents living vicariously through their children? Are coaches/schools desperate to one up their competition to recruit the best talent to their programs? Are trainers desperate to build their client base? Who knows as it could be true from various angles?

Will it die down eventually? No clue unfortunately.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
And likely not gonna land any of em as well.. I don’t see Dawn missing on Divine if she pushes for it
We shall see...

She did say that she almost cried after being offered by Kim and LSU. And that she's been a big Kim fan since her Baylor days. She said this in an interview after her LSU visit.

Reaction Score
I probably need to snap out of it. I was a huge SEC football fan besides posting here and following WCBB but the last couple of years with NIL and the portal have significantly dampened my enthusiasm SEC football given there are no divisions, huge mega conferences out there, and so on.
No proper emoticon. I agree with you but I don't like it. It makes me sad, but I cant dislike it.

It's saddening how much has changed. We need to reinstate the divisions - basketball too. 14 (home and home) games against divisional foes and 8 (rotating home) games against the cross division. 22 conference games, then play non-conference games leaving room for a rival or two. FOOTBALL 7 DIVISION GAMES THREE INTERDIVISIONAL ROTATING GAMES. NE CUPCAKE ON NON-COM RIVAL

EASTERN DIVISION
SCar
Tennessee
UGA
Florida
Kentucky
Vandy
Bama
Auburn

SOUTHWESTERN DIVISION
LSU
Oklahoma
Texas
A&M
Ole Miss
Miss State
Mizzou
Arkansas

BASEBALL AND SOFTBALL GONNA MISS A BUNCH OF GAMES EACH YEAR, SAD

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Doesn’t really surprise me, but Bryn Martin (6’1” shooting guard from Springboro, OH) committed to UWashington. Ohio State, whiffing on all their prospects this round.

Daria Biriuk visited this past weekend. But not sure who else is looking, maybe Aniya Trent, who just visited Clemson, also Bryn’s teammate.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Aaliyah Chavez visiting Texas on September 28, with visits to Texas Tech and LSU to follow in October. Previously visited ucla earlier in August. Allegedly not visiting all 6 finalists for an official visit.

Planning to sign during the early signing period in November per her dad.

Ayla McDowell (#18 recruit) visiting TCU soon.

Was it ever confirmed somewhere (reliable) that she visited UCLA officially? She was in LA jn August, but that was for a Mamba Invitational skills competition.

Reaction Score
Was it ever confirmed somewhere (reliable) that she visited UCLA officially? She was in LA jn August, but that was for a Mamba Invitational skills competition.
Her dad posted a snap on his IG story of Chavez posing in a UCLA jersey with their coaches and in uclas practice gym. Weather it was used as a “official” is another story but she 100% visited while in town

I don’t think she ends up going there regardless but I’m sure they wanted to check them out while in town and it makes sense

In all likely, the only 3 realistic spots I could see her going at Texas, Texas tech and LSU tbh.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
And likely not gonna land any of em as well.. I don’t see Dawn missing on Divine if she pushes for it
Kate Mckinnon Cringe GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
Lena Bilic, 2025 6’2” wing from Croatia, comitted to UCLA. Olivia Vukosa’s Croatia national team teammate.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Grace Knox did make her scheduled official visit to Texas this weekend.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Looks like she visits USC in two weeks then TN to wrap it up

Will Knox stay home or travel to a SEC school

My guess has always been that she'll commit to USC shortly after her visit, and not end up making her final visit to Tennessee. Hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
My guess has always been that she'll commit to USC shortly after her visit, and not end up making her final visit to Tennessee. Hope I'm wrong.
She did a interview recently talking about wanting to leave home but open to staying home as well depending on how visits went so we will see.

USC being the only instate school/west coast team in her finalist list seems to support those comments. I guess we will see soon

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee already has the best backcourt duo in the twins. Hopefully can add another player or two.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
She did a interview recently talking about wanting to leave home but open to staying home as well depending on how visits went so we will see.

USC being the only instate school/west coast team in her finalist list seems to support those comments. I guess we will see soon

Not sure if we heard/read the same interview or not. I recall her saying she was "open" to playing anywhere regardless of the distance from home. I don't think she stated she was "wanting to leave home".

I believe she is from Nevada and only recently moved to southern California; so, don't think she's a native of California.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Not sure if we heard/read the same interview or not. I recall her saying she was "open" to playing anywhere regardless of the distance from home. I don't think she stated she was "wanting to leave home".

I believe she is from Nevada and only recently moved to southern California; so, don't think she's a native of California.
That's my understanding as well: Raised in Nevada and went to SoCal to attend Etiwanda H.S.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom