Non-UConn recruiting thread | Page 44 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn recruiting thread

Reaction Score
I think that site incorrectly put Grace Knox's Top 4 schools for Chavez who is still considering her six finalists, and Tennessee is not one of them.
Did anyone hear the chatter w/ Chavez and her dad asking for a 7 digit NIL deal approaching money a 5 star quarterback is getting?

I wonder who is gonna fork out that kinda money. Crazy regardless... I guess whoever's boosters want her the most become more in play down the stretch for her

Reaction Score
Has TCU ever been the bridesmaid?

Campbell is working his butt off recruiting. Watch out if he can get a couple of tournament berths under his belt
Campbell has always been a elite recruiter but its impressive none the less he is getting talent he is getting or at least getting in the picture at TCU after the program has been a mess for so many years

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think that site incorrectly put Grace Knox's Top 4 schools for Chavez who is still considering her six finalists, and Tennessee is not one of them.
Yes Knox has Tennessee in top 4. One thing Tennessee has the youngest staff in the country. One of the things the Pauldo twins wanted.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Daria Biriuk, a 6'1 G/W from Webb School (same school where Del Rosario and Velez played) will announce her commitment Friday. I've been saying for a year that it's Vandy. Now, after she made official visits to Ohio State and Mississippi State in recent weeks? I say it's Vandy. She's #73 on ESPN's Hoopgurlz.

Maybe tOSU?? I dont know but…..

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Did anyone hear the chatter w/ Chavez and her dad asking for a 7 digit NIL deal approaching money a 5 star quarterback is getting?

I wonder who is gonna fork out that kinda money. Crazy regardless... I guess whoever's boosters want her the most become more in play down the stretch for her
7!!!!

I wonder if that’s why so many people are saying TTU for her. Maybe boosters want to keep the hometown girl in Lubbock?

Reaction Score
7!!!!

I wonder if that’s why so many people are saying TTU for her. Maybe boosters want to keep the hometown girl in Lubbock?
As they say "its not my money" but yeah...

If boosters are able to keep Chavez home for TTU that will buy their coach some time, if not the writing is on the wall for her. Nothing would shock me after the softball pitcher deal Tech gave the Stanford player

This is the aspect of NIL that I dont like. Im all for players profiting and able to generate value for themselves but cases like this are simply straight up pay for play (which has been ongoing forever but now basically out in the open)

Reaction Score
A number 1 ranked hometown gal has been known to change a school's destiny in wbb. :cool:
I know this is a reference to Clark but the difference to me is Lisa had VERY good teams and had Iowa competitive even before Clark and Clark just took it to another level.

I'm a bit skeptical of the TTU coach but Chavez should make them much better purely because of her talent but yeah I'm not sure about much else

And its interesting if Texas/LSU would actually attempt to match that kinda money if they are able to land other top talent elsewhere for cheaper. I guess it depends on how hungry their boosters are...

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I know this is a reference to Clark but the difference to me is Lisa had VERY good teams and had Iowa competitive even before Clark and Clark just took it to another level.

I'm a bit skeptical of the TTU coach but Chavez should make them much better purely because of her talent but yeah I'm not sure about much else

And its interesting if Texas/LSU would actually attempt to match that kinda money if they are able to land other top talent elsewhere for cheaper. I guess it depends on how hungry their boosters are...
I don't think LSU will match. I think they'll turn their attention to Knox/Johnson/McDowell etc.

Which would be a shame because I do feel like LSU is the best landing spot for her if she wants to grow her brand, play early, AND have a chance at winning.

TTU isn't going anywhere, especially with their coach.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Interesting, I heard LSU has not been recruiting her had because they have been so focused on Johnson. Do they push for her this weekend or ride out the wait for Zakiyah?

I assumed TCU would get McDowell
That's a hard call because Johnson apparently isn't committing until November. So if Ayla wants to commit, I say take her.

Reaction Score

Ummmm, considering the poster is a Gamecocks fan, I think A'ja Wilson was the reference here.

Reaction Score
It’s special to keep hometown hero home. But tech current basketball situation isn’t ideal but tech has the boosters to give her what she wants

Reaction Score

Clark wasn't a No. 1 recruit.

A'ja was and did give birth a much bigger program than Iowa

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Regarding Aaliyah Chavez, I posted this in a different thread back in late August:

I resigned myself a few weeks ago to believing strongly that Aaliyah Chavez will end up choosing Texas Tech.

I had for quite a while believed Texas stood a very strong chance at landing her based on the many unofficial visits she and her family have made to Austin, always attending football and basketball games when Texas plays at Texas Tech, all the reels/stories on Instagram that our assistant coaches post about her (they still do), being relatively close to home, having a few of her club teammates on our roster, and meeting her criteria about wanting to win and playing for a head coach who will be there all 4 years she's in college.

But, then Texas Tech softball went out and spent $1 million on Stanford transfer pitcher NiJaree Canady who is from Kansas and doesn't even hail from the state of Texas. That just opened my eyes as to what one of their donors is willing to do to win. I expect the minimum price for landing Chavez will be at least $1 million per year, and most likely more. She is from Lubbock and I now believe that Texas Tech will just refuse to allow her to leave their back yard IF money/NIL is a huge priority (which I believe it is). Her father seems to be running the show; he has talked a lot about all the hours over the years that he has spent coaching her. I get it; he has put in a lot of work to help his daughter's future; I'm sure she wants to "repay" him somehow for his dedication, sacrifices, and hard work.

When she narrowed her list to UCLA, South Carolina, Texas, LSU, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech, it wasn't difficult to see which school stood out like a sore thumb when it came to NOT having a winning program. In her interview with On3, she mentioned that she likes/wants to win and play for a head coach who will be there all 4 years to coach her in college; Krista Gerlich at Tech is in the final year of her 5-year contract and there has been no news of any kind of contract extension; she's never come close to sniffing an NCAA tournament bid, and the talent level to turn things around this year isn't there, IMO. If Chavez plans to sign in November, she will have no clue about Tech's season progression and the plans for Gerlich's future. Yet, she placed Texas Tech in her final six finalists.

Something happened in 2023-24 that might even surpass NIL as a huge factor, although it has an effect on NIL. Look how many class of 2023 players became the face of their college programs as true freshmen -- Juju Watkins, Hannah Hidalgo, Madison Booker (probably wouldn't have been had Rori Harmon not been injured). Chavez seemed to "like" so much of Watkins news out on social media all of last season; so, she was paying attention. Based on returning talent come 2025-26, the only program where Chavez would instantly become the face of the program as a true freshman would be Texas Tech. Being the face of a program brings a lot more NIL opportunities than simply being a teammate on a star-studded roster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Clark wasn't a No. recruit.

A'ja was and did give birth a much bigger program
My mistake I didn't catch that

But Yes Chavez has the opportunity to stay home, be the hometown hero who revives the program (at least for the next 4 years). Its up to the coach though to provide her with those surrounding pieces to optimize that success and the long term success of the program

Dawn landing Wilson was big in changing the program for what it is today so I agree with you. Will Chavez follow that same route and be the hometown kid who leads her hometown program back to the promise land? Will be interesting to see what she ultimately decides

Reaction Score
Zakiyah Johnson and Agot Makeer on officials to Kentucky this weekend.

Brooks has also recently hosted Adelaide Jernigan, Kaelyn Carroll, and Madie Parrish. Big fish hunting, but we'll see if he can land any of them.

Reaction Score
Its up to the coach though to provide her with those surrounding pieces to optimize that success and the long term success of the program
Since people seem to believe TTU will sign her due to paying the most NIL money - assuming that's true and she does sign with them - wouldn't the same thing apply to the portal after this upcoming season? A much faster way to build a winner if NIL dollars are being thrown around at such high levels.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Dawn landing Wilson was big in changing the program for what it is today so I agree with you. Will Chavez follow that same route and be the hometown kid who leads her hometown program back to the promise land? Will be interesting to see what she ultimately decides
One big difference is that Gerlich is no Staley as far as she's demonstrated so far.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Since people seem to believe TTU will sign her due to paying the most NIL money - assuming that's true and she does sign with them - wouldn't the same thing apply to the portal after this upcoming season? A much faster way to build a winner if NIL dollars are being thrown around at such high levels.

Not sure I understand your question. Right now, Tech's head coach is in the last year of her original 5-year coaching contract. So, I can understand why that would be of concern to high school recruits. Come next March/April, Krista Gerlich will either be extended, or fired and a new head coach will be hired; that's when transfers would most likely be considering Tech.

Texas Tech never seemed to put much NIL into their women's softball program until this past June/July when their head coach resigned, and they hired the head coach from Louisiana-Lafayette. Perhaps that's what it will take in women's hoops to attract impact transfers -- new blood/energy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Out a ways, Class of 2028, but the dunking and Viking lineage make this sort of interesting to us Minnesotan's. Ari Peterson is generating some buzz.

"Big Ten programs that have offered Peterson a scholarship include the Gophers, Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, Purdue and Maryland." - Star Tribune

Reaction Score
Out a ways, Class of 2028, but the dunking and Viking lineage make this sort of interesting to us Minnesotan's. Ari Peterson is generating some buzz.

"Big Ten programs that have offered Peterson a scholarship include the Gophers, Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, Purdue and Maryland." - Star Tribune

Interesting. Enjoyed watching her father play when he was in the NFL.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom