Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yep, definitely was referring to what I see on Twitter. It’s not really difficult to find some of the stuff they’ve said to and about the likes of Geno, Vic, Sabrina, Teaira McCowan, Anriel Howard, Unique Thompson, Sophie Cunningham, Katie Lou, Maryland players, the list really goes on. I have also seen several get pretty nasty with Lobo, Feinberg and Voepel as well. In terms of WBB fanbases, I absolutely have not seen the amount of bullying and harassing on that level from anyone else.

Of course it’s not indicative of the entire fanbase, but it definitely is something that doesn’t go unnoticed. A few bad apples can really ruin it for everyone.

I had no idea that kinda stuff goes on in WCBB twitter.. My goodness :eek::eek::eek:

Reaction Score
LOL.

I come here to see what new news there is regarding this 4th tweet from Staley, and I find South Carolina Gamecock fans trying desperately to talk about WBB recruiting for South Carolina, and other "odd" posters certainly NOT named "South Carolina fans" trying their level best to troll and provoke the Gamecock fans - doing nothing but talking and having conversations about how horrible the South Carolina Gamecock fans are, about how entitled and pretentious they are.

And the Gamecock fans keeping trying to talk about recruiting, bless their souls.

It reminds me of how certain "fans" of a certain program treated the news of A'ja Wilson's committing and signing with USC back in 2014. Of how much of a show she made of her signing, how she didn't just sign her LOI on the hood of her parent's truck. How much of a prima donna she was, and how she and Staley would never make it to a Final Four, much less win the thing.

Yep, those fans weren't all on twitter, either. Many of them were on actual message boards.

But I just wanted to come here and read up on WCBB recruiting. Guess I have to find some other place....

Reaction Score
So who do SC fans think they got? rivers, fegan, johnson and Azzi were the only target recruits I could think of...and we know it’s not Azzi

I could respond, but then my naming any names would just make me pretentious and over-assuming and entitled, and give impetus for other sources to go find out and leak the goods. Apparently we can't have that in a thread of this nature. So I guess we'll just wait and see. ;):D

Reaction Score
But for the other Gamecock fans, this is sounding like possibly another stellar class for Coach Staley, close to the levels of the 2019 cycle. Would be great depth that would play together for 2 seasons....:)

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Here's the thing, there is no question that South Carolina fans exhibit some, uh, questionable behavior. Just two recent stories evince this:

I haven't stepped foot in South Carolina in years, and yet I've managed to become the most-hated person in The Palmetto State over the past week.

This is the story of how publishing one article about women's college basketball has resulted in online threats, a Sports Illustrated piece, and one of the best coaches in the game seemingly implying that I should be admitted to a psychiatric hospital.

South Carolina women's basketball coach Dawn Staley defended the team's fan base on Wednesday, one day after Missouri athletic director Jim Sterk said members of the Tigers women's basketball team were spit on and called a racial slur by fans after a game Sunday in Columbia, South Carolina.

On Tuesday, Sterk faulted Staley for promoting an atmosphere that allowed the behavior to allegedly happen.

"It wasn't a great atmosphere. It was really kind of unhealthy, if you will," Sterk told "The Big Show" on KTGR radio. "We had players spit on and called the N-word and things like that. It was not a good environment. And unfortunately I think Coach Staley promoted that kind of atmosphere, and it's unfortunate that she felt she had to do that."

Staley later sued Sterk for defamation, which was settled out of court:

Maybe I just didn't hear about it, but I don't recall another top WCBB program having similar problems with its fans.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, does Dawn normally tweet that and the "commit" waits to make it official way later? Thats what is kinda throwing me off a bit. I know a lot of coaches do similar things when they get a commit but usually the commit announces shortly after the coach tweets it. In LSU's case for football, Coach O will tweet "Hold that tiger" but the commit usually announces within that 24 hour period, he doesn't hint on who the commits are either but football has much more inside resources so most figure it out before then.

Usually the announcements come pretty soon after.

Thas been a little odd.

I wouldn't say that Staley has given hints. The one that perhaps seemed to be a hint was likely just part of her plague dessert series.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, does Dawn normally tweet that and the "commit" waits to make it official way later? Thats what is kinda throwing me off a bit. I know a lot of coaches do similar things when they get a commit but usually the commit announces shortly after the coach tweets it. In LSU's case for football, Coach O will tweet "Hold that tiger" but the commit usually announces within that 24 hour period, he doesn't hint on who the commits are either but football has much more inside resources so most figure it out before then.

On most occasions, Dawn makes the announcement and the recruit reveals themselves either that day or within the next 24 hours. And Dawn doesn’t always announce commits either, especially in cases where the commitment would be obvious (like a recruit having a planned announcement date). I could be wrong but I don’t remember us having any announcements for the 2019 class.. those commitments were total surprises to the fans and all came within a matter of days and all of them had commitment “ceremonies“.

We got our first commitment about 11 days ago and since then 3 other players have committed, none of those players have announced. Something tells me that the likely reason is that our media team probably is creating some kind of special announcement for each of them. Could be wrong but these kids just had their world turned upside down by COVID-19 so it would be a nice thing to do and something we would do.

Reaction Score
Are we sure its not Ms. Fudd ? Azzi has shown interest in dawn in the past , imagine the backlash !

Reaction Score
So who do SC fans think they got? rivers, fegan, johnson and Azzi were the only target recruits I could think of...and we know it’s not Azzi

I think the known list of '21 players with S.C. interest are Fudd, Rivers, Feagin, Key, Raven Johnson, Bree Hall and Philly guard Destiny McPhaul.

we may or may not be involved with Hollingshead (Ga player at position of need) but I do not think there has been any report of mutual interest.

we'd be shocked as anyone if it was Fudd, I think.

One or more could be 2022s (Instates Ashlyn Watkins or Talaysia Cooper?) and I guess it's possible a transfer for depth could be one, though I have no clue who that would be. But those are usually a surprise.

Reaction Score
I’m surprised Hollingshead has seemed to continually dip in the rankings. She had very good stats at a few of the EYBL events.

Reaction Score
Do your fingers work like mine? Do your own research. I don’t have to prove to you what can be easily researched.
I’ve seen it also by several coaches, clouding the ones you mentioned. If the program or coach has any social media influence, they do it. Period.

mans I’m anything that as a positive. Those people watching Dawn are the ones buying tickets.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What’s the difference between Dijonai Carrington tweeting and Dawn tweeting? Some posters felt it was judgemental to have an opinion about the way DC announced and now they’re barking about Dawn’s tweets. The hypocrisy and the bias runs deep.

Reaction Score
LOL.

I come here to see what new news there is regarding this 4th tweet from Staley, and I find South Carolina Gamecock fans trying desperately to talk about WBB recruiting for South Carolina, and other "odd" posters certainly NOT named "South Carolina fans" trying their level best to troll and provoke the Gamecock fans - doing nothing but talking and having conversations about how horrible the South Carolina Gamecock fans are, about how entitled and pretentious they are.

And the Gamecock fans keeping trying to talk about recruiting, bless their souls.

It reminds me of how certain "fans" of a certain program treated the news of A'ja Wilson's committing and signing with USC back in 2014. Of how much of a show she made of her signing, how she didn't just sign her LOI on the hood of her parent's truck. How much of a prima donna she was, and how she and Staley would never make it to a Final Four, much less win the thing.

Yep, those fans weren't all on twitter, either. Many of them were on actual message boards.

But I just wanted to come here and read up on WCBB recruiting. Guess I have to find some other place....
You could say UConn fans instead of being passive aggressive about it but it's not good look to attack someone on their own board. Most of them don't post over here since the general board was created to separate UConn topics from non-UConn topics.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing, there is no question that South Carolina fans exhibit some, uh, questionable behavior. Just two recent stories evince this:

I read that Business Insider article a couple weeks ago and was shocked, to say the least. Disgusting behavior, regardless of what team you root for. To a lesser degree, Dawn Staley's stoking the fires certainly didnt help the cause. And why, for what? Because the author did not include a South Carolina player in her article of top players for the 2020 tourney. Wow, not a good look for yall.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
He did get Wolfenbarger recently. But his track record of keeping local talent home at Washington was fairly abysmal. Generally speaking recruiting wasn't his forte at UW.
well his GETTING ANY TALENT at Washington was abysmal. He left that program high and dry and got out with McGuff's recruits getting him to the FF. I still view him as suspect and think the Slocum acquisition is not going to live up to the hype.

Reaction Score
well his GETTING ANY TALENT at Washington was abysmal. He left that program high and dry and got out with McGuff's recruits getting him to the FF. I still view him as suspect and think the Slocum acquisition is not going to live up to the hype.
I think him not being able to adjust offensively or play defense is going to continue to have Arkansas in most games but ultimately out of the discussions for conference titles.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It does not matter to me who commits to South Carolina as long as it is not Fudd. If it is Fudd, there will be a lot of disappointed UConn fans. However, a well respected, well informed poster on here made a comment about two weeks ago that made me think there is no need for UConn fans to be concerned. It was a short response to another poster.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I’ve seen it also by several coaches, clouding the ones you mentioned. If the program or coach has any social media influence, they do it. Period.

mans I’m anything that as a positive. Those people watching Dawn are the ones buying tickets.

Thank you. Georgia’s coach literally did it today.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Like I said generally he struggled with recruiting, but his last class included Aari McDonald and Amber Melgoza. That was probably more lucky than good, I don't think anybody knew how good either of them were going to turn out. If Aari had stayed then Wynn would've had something to work with getting started.

Shifting the subject, Wynn is heading into year 4 and it's really time to stop blaming Neighbors. She hasn't exactly been recruiting at a high level herself.

Reaction Score
I read that Business Insider article a couple weeks ago and was shocked, to say the least. Disgusting behavior, regardless of what team you root for. To a lesser degree, Dawn Staley's stoking the fires certainly didnt help the cause. And why, for what? Because the author did not include a South Carolina player in her article of top players for the 2020 tourney. Wow, not a good look for yall.
I don't think it was her not mentioning the players that caught the attention of the fans because I read the twitter comments. This is the statement that caught the ire of most of the fans including Dawn. "The top teams in the country like Oregon, Baylor, Louisville, and UConn are ready to compete for a spot in the Final Four in New Orleans, Louisiana". She completely dismissed the #1 team in the country. It caused me to raise an eyebrow because Dawn had previously made the comment about SC not getting the respect that they deserved from some media outlets and people who narrates the game. Personally I could care less. I thought she might have been trolling because she knows how SC fans are. If she was then she got what she wanted.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is just not true, but keep on flogging it. He recruited and then re-recruited Plum, who only stayed because Neighbors was hired. He recruited McDonald, Melgoza, Garcia, Kierra Collier, Romeo, and Strother. Injuries ruined some of their careers, and some transferred away after he left, but to say he recruited no talent is just untrue.

Reaction Score
As a general rule of thumb, saying someone should be “checked quickly and admitted somewhere” is usually always going to be frowned upon.

Whether you felt the author of the article was being dismissive or not, that’s not really the route to take. But, whatever works for her. Overall, that’s not how you deal with what you deem as an issue. It’s certainly not how you gain the respect you feel you’re missing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul