Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe he is referring to the shadow cast by the disproportionally large heads possessed by (too) many Oregon fans? :)
Maybe it was the Slocum issue that the AD and Scott had to deal with recently that is the issue? Yes there is more to that story and it is not good.

Reaction Score
You recovered from the Covid yet?
Have you? I see some fans are crawling out of the wood works since one of their favorite teams got a commitment after gone missing with they lost out a player they thought they were getting.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Have you? I see some fans are crawling out of the wood works since one of their favorite teams got a commitment after gone missing with they lost out a player they thought they were getting.

Some of us are still in the wood works :confused:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wow, if Coach Q doesn't get at least to the elite 8 in the next few years it won't be because of a lack of talent. Syracuse recruits better than a lot of programs that have won way more.

No idea who any of these players are... but good to see some talent come into the ACC. (i think)

Reaction Score
Wow, if Coach Q doesn't get at least to the elite 8 in the next few years it won't be because of a lack of talent. Syracuse recruits better than a lot of programs that have won way more.
They’ve quietly recruited really well. Sissoko (though she left), Engstler, Williams, Cardoso, and Lattimore were/are all top-15 players.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
No idea who any of these players are... but good to see some talent come into the ACC. (i think)

You're gonna get to know Lattimore and Cardoso very well over the next few seasons. Although I've heard whispers that Lattimore isn't as good as her ranking.. you still can't teach 6'4/6'5, and Cardoso is a solid 6'7. I would've been somewhat worried if either had ended up at SEC schools. I think Syracuse is gonna be a handful if Coach Q figures out how he can play a style that suits his roster.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
If I had to guess, I think Verhulst’s decision comes down to Oregon, Oregon State, and Notre Dame (I also think Louisville and Tennessee are still in the game given recent visits in the fall/winter).

If I were a top guard prospect, I’d be very cautious about Oregon because they are incredibly talented and deep at the guard positions. Bigby, Parrish, PaoPao, Scherr, Shelley, and Winterburn are all terrific guards, and playing time would be really tough to come by, even though Verhulst is extremely talented.

I could potentially see Rueck employing a lineup of Verhulst/von Oelhoffen, Kampschroeder, and Goforth on the perimeter. Would be similar to his backcourt of Pivec, McWilliams, and Tudor in 17-18 with no true point guard.

Seems like Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, and Notre Dame will be in a lot of recruiting battles for 2021s.
Three are targeting Citron, three are targeting Miles, three are targeting Wolfenbarger, and two are targeting von Oelhoffen. It’ll be interesting to see who lands who.

Good May morning. I emphasize the "May" because the post I'm replying to was written in late March and was/is pretty prescient. I was going back to a post I made that @newfrontier pulled up yesterday to-- frankly -- remember the context that I wrote it in and came across this one just under it. Will respond to this one first because it covered so much interesting ground. NF...I'll get back to that other one: after mowing the lawn :cool: ;) )

Anyways, comments on DaBall's March (madness) observations:

- Verhulst:
Well, Louisville was certainly still in the game, although I'll bet most thought she was headed elsewhere. Kudos to Coach W and staff there...

- If I were a top guard prospect, I’d be very cautious about Oregon because they are incredibly talented and deep at the guard positions.
Well, none of the '21 propsects here jumped at Oregon, but transfer Taylor Mikesell did. I'm still scraching my head a bit. In spite of whatever drove her to leave Maryland, she was still playing a boatload of minutes and was probably going to continue doing that. Did she want to get back to point guard minutes (such as Dara Mabey?). If so, isn't PaoPao a (much quicker) point guard? And then there's a lot of other talented and tall guards. Hmm.

- "Rueck employing a lineup of Verhulst/von Oelhoffen, Kampschroeder, and Goforth on the perimeter."Looks like that will get a chance to happen.

-Seems like Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, and Notre Dame will be in a lot of recruiting battles for 2021s.
-- Oregon: Mikesell (transfer from Maryland), Bigby (earlier)
-- Oregon State: von Oelhoffen, Kampschroeder
-- Notre Dame: Miles, Citron
-- Stanford: Kiki Iriafen (a name that @TheFarmFan dropped on us later on)

Players mentioned who went elsewhere:
-- Verhulst: Louisville
-- Wolfenbarger: Arkansas

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ESPN rating are based on projections of the position the player will play at the college level. TVO is not that different than say Saylor or Citron or Rivers in that they are the HS team's primary ball handler and defacto PG. Dan Olson tends to discount that because they are not going to be the team's primary ball handler at the next level.

Totally agree. In the case of Citron, I think she'll gratefully let Olivia Miles take primary care of the ball at ND. Another Philly Belle teammate of Miles, Alli Campbell, will be in the same position. Alli was the primary ball handler in HS (but not AAU) for the same reason.

Reaction Score
Good May morning. I emphasize the "May" because the post I'm replying to was written in late March and was/is pretty prescient. I was going back to a post I made that NewFrontier pulled up yesterday to-- frankly -- remember the context that I wrote it in and came across this one just under it. Will respond to this one first because it covered so much interesting ground. NF...I'll get back to that other one: after mowing the lawn :cool: ;) )

Anyways, comments on DaBall's March (madness) observations:

- Verhulst:
Well, Louisville was certainly still in the game, although I'll bet most thought she was headed elsewhere. Kudos to Coach W and staff there...

- If I were a top guard prospect, I’d be very cautious about Oregon because they are incredibly talented and deep at the guard positions.
Well, none of the '21 propsects here jumped at Oregon, but transfer Taylor Mikesell did. I'm still scraching my head a bit. In spite of whatever drove her to leave Maryland, she was still playing a boatload of minutes and was probably going to continue doing that. Did she want to get back to point guard minutes (such as Dara Mabey?). If so, isn't PaoPao a (much quicker) point guard? And then there's a lot of other talented and tall guards. Hmm.

- "Rueck employing a lineup of Verhulst/von Oelhoffen, Kampschroeder, and Goforth on the perimeter."Looks like that will get a chance to happen.

- Seems like Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, and Notre Dame will be in a lot of recruiting battles for 2021s.
-- Oregon: Mikesell (transfer from Maryland), Bigby (earlier)
-- Oregon State: von Oelhoffen, Kampschroeder
-- Notre Dame: Miles, Citron
-- Stanford: Kiki Iriafen (a name that @TheFarmFan dropped on us later on)

Players mentioned who went elsewhere:
-- Verhulst: Louisville
-- Wolfenbarger: Arkansas
Not too shabby for my uneducated guesses:D

I was pretty surprised Verhulst chose Louisville. They’re about as deep as Oregon is as guard, but she had visited there at least twice, so perhaps she wasn’t willing to commit to one of the other schools without visiting, and didn’t want to drag her recruitment out.

I actually thought Verhulst to Oregon State or Notre Dame and von Oelhoffen to Stanford was the most likely scenario.

Looking at 2022s, I think Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, and Notre Dame will be among Timea Gardiner’s top choices as well (with a few others). I would be mildly surprised if she chose UConn with Isuneh Brady already committed and DeBerry in 2021, but they showed some definite interest as well.

Reaction Score
Yes, we may never know, but I would not be surprised if the potential for much greater PT (in general) at Oregon State compared to Stanford played a role in her decision. She will likely be a starter (at point) all 4 years at OSU. Here are my best guesses as to why she picked OSU over Stanford: (shocking that OSU has now beaten out Stanford for 2 TOP recruits for 2021, the other being Greta Kampschroeder)

1. PT. Much more over 4 years at OSU than Stanford.
2. friendships with other OSU players/commits
3. closer proximity to home. The drive from Pasco, WA to Corvallis, OR is about 4 hrs 45 minutes on 2
very good highways...most of the way is I-84 and I-5.
4. She likes the idea of being a Point guard rather than a 2-3 (at Stanford)
As a fan of Oregon State, I'm very pleased to have another proven scorer in Von Oelhoffen committed to the Beavs for 2021. She is a gifted scorer who may break Van Lith's all-time state of Washington scoring record next season. I have little doubt that she will be a quality scorer at the next level. I'm just not sure whether she can be an elite point guard in the PAC-12. Opposing high school coaches who have coached against her have shared that sentiment. If she has been promised the point for Oregon State, I would be surprised. She will have to earn that spot and may struggle to handle the ball against point guards with quickness.

In high school, she has been a volume shooter, Last season, she averaged 26 points per game on just over 20 shots per game. She shot 32% from beyond the arc on just over 6 attempts per game. Not elite numbers. She is a confident player who should step into the starting line-up for Oregon State as a frosh if she continues her progression. I am just not convinced that she is Oregon State's point guard of the future. I would rather see her play the 2 and use her strength advantage at that position.

Reaction Score
As a fan of Oregon State, I'm very pleased to have another proven scorer in Von Oelhoffen committed to the Beavs for 2021. She is a gifted scorer who may break Van Lith's all-time state of Washington scoring record next season. I have little doubt that she will be a quality scorer at the next level. I'm just not sure whether she can be an elite point guard in the PAC-12. Opposing high school coaches who have coached against her have shared that sentiment. If she has been promised the point for Oregon State, I would be surprised. She will have to earn that spot and may struggle to handle the ball against point guards with quickness.

In high school, she has been a volume shooter, Last season, she averaged 26 points per game on just over 20 shots per game. She shot 32% from beyond the arc on just over 6 attempts per game. Not elite numbers. She is a confident player who should step into the starting line-up for Oregon State as a frosh if she continues her progression. I am just not convinced that she is Oregon State's point guard of the future. I would rather see her play the 2 and use her strength advantage at that position.
OK, interesting take on Talia. The problem is, who else would play point guard at OSU if not her in 2021? Rueck and Co. for whatever reason, don't attract or are not able to sign elite (or keep? ie. Slocum), quick (explosive), traditional point guards. In some ways she is more like Goodman or like Pivec - she may get the job anyway simply because there is no one else. Of all the guards OSU has or will have for 2021, Olson's description of Talia on ESPNW sounds the most promising as a point. You say you are "just not sure whether she can be an elite point guard in the PAC-12." This may well be true. As Beaver fans, we may have to be satisfied with "functional".

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I believe 2021 Julianna Walker is actually ahead of Talia. Van Lith could end up in third after next season. I think Walker will almost definitely beat it.

Reaction Score
My prediction about Dauda was correct. While she loved Arkansas, I didn't see how she could fit there considering Arkansas literally does not utilize post players very much.

Nice grab. How accurate is the stats that were posted online? Over 40% from 3?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
My prediction about Dauda was correct. While she loved Arkansas, I didn't see how she could fit there considering Arkansas literally does not utilize post players very much.

Nice grab
She was quoted as saying she wanted to go somewhere she could get a lot of playing time early; that was the only reason why I thought Baylor might not be her choice as she'd be battling (Egbo, Smith, and Gusters) for playing time in year one.

Reaction Score
She was quoted as saying she wanted to go somewhere she could get a lot of playing time early; that was the only reason why I thought Baylor might not be her choice as she'd be battling (Egbo, Smith, and Gusters) for playing time in year one.

Smith and Egbo will be seniors when she comes in. Although as a top post player, Baylor makes sense given their history and use of post players. I am assuming she will play at the 4 given her body and length. Should be a nice compliment to Gusters in the future. If she really can drain 3's like the stats I saw, thats impressive.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Smith and Egbo will be seniors when she comes in. . Although as a top post player, Baylor makes sense given their history and use of post players. I am assuming she will play at the 4 given her body and length. Should be a nice compliment to Gusters in the future. If she really can drain 3's like the stats I saw, thats impressive.
Right. That's why I stated "in year one". . . :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog