Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I love the way Oregon State recruits. They really go after players that fit their system to perfection.

I love those big 5’11-6’2ish guards/wings that can shoot the lights out and OSU always seems to be in play for those players.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I totally agree with you - except they should both reprise their show on the Farm. =D

Miles has already visited and is being heavily recruited by Tara et al., and I know Verhulst has been among our longish list (10-15) of 2021 targets. Then again, Kampschroader was too, until this morning...

Thanks for confirming that Ms. Miles has been out to the Farm..I'd been wondering about that. She dropped by ND on her way to the Indy AAU event last summer and visited with some former Philly Belle teammates.

ND does not have a lot of slots open in 2021 and for a variety of reasons (injury, illness), is reasonably well-positioned at off-guard. But they will go after one, as well as the all-important lead guard. Besides Ms. Miles, keep an eye on Ari Wiggins out of Indianapolis, who has been up to the Bend on many occasions (and has been observed by Irish coaches over the winter).

Dillon77

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, I think Verhulst’s decision comes down to Oregon, Oregon State, and Notre Dame (I also think Louisville and Tennessee are still in the game given recent visits in the fall/winter).

Seems like Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, and Notre Dame will be in a lot of recruiting battles for 2021s. Three are targeting Citron, three are targeting Miles, three are targeting Wolfenbarger, and two are targeting von Oelhoffen. It’ll be interesting to see who lands who.

- Interestingly, ND will also have a lot of guards who will be juniors or younger by the time the Class of 2021 comes on campus: Kailtyn Gilbert, Anaya Peoples, Abby Prohaska, Alli Campbell come to mind, as well as the forwards who like to wander from the paint: Sam Brunelle and Maddy Westbeld.

- PG is the primary need, with known efforts focusing on Miles and Ari Wiggins of Indianapolis' Heritage Christian, same school as Katilyn Gilbert and Ty Harris. Her brother is being recruited by the ND baseball team so that bears some watching.

- However, the Irish are pursuing an off guard, with Verhulst, Wolfenbarger and Citron the three key names brought up. (Saniya Rivers from time to time, but have not seen much "mutual interest" and I can't see her leaving the Carolina's). The Verhulst family has visited ND for an unofficial; ND has gone to see Jersey W. recently and Citron was offered last summer.

- As mentioned in my prior post, Verhulst is very much in touch with current and prospective Beaver players. We'll see if that has any impact. I've heard from some folks who know the Bishop Miege academic/sports scene well and the Oregons are in constant conversations, as is ND. The Irish got into the game a tad late with Verhulst but Miege and ND have lots of connections.

- At the end of the day, ND is like triad's skelton -- nada in 2021, so some "mutual interest" will even be celebrated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, it's funny how some folks think Oregon State will have too many 2/3 guards if 1 or 2 more of these gals commit to OSU...apparently only the "truly elite" teams are allowed to build depth at positions.

It's just people not keeping track . . . and to be fair, I can't tell you the precise breakdown of UConn's last three recruiting classes, so why should I expect anyone else to know OSU's situation to that detail?

Here's the detail:
As of 2020/2021 season:
Seniors: Slocum* (PG), Goodman* (PG)
Juniors: Simmons (SG), Corosdale* (F), Morris (C)
Sophomores: Jones* (C), Brown* (F), Mannen (G)
Freshmen: Aquino** (F), Mitrovic** (C)
True Freshmen: Samuel (G), Goforth (G)
*Has started a significant number of games.
**Has never played, but when she finally hits the floor (real soon, now), she'll change the game forever.

One would assume that Rueck's goal this year would be to get *at least* two guards, and I don't think he'd mind taking on three. Three would bring the total to seven (six recruited athletes and the walk-on, Mannen). That barely fills the two-deep.

A true PG would be nice, but Rueck's idea of a PG is not what most people think of as a PG. Syd Wiese was 6' tall and a record-breaking shooter. Aleah Goodman is barely shorter and has even more shooting range. They say that Sasha Goforth is a "combo-guard" - but she sure looks to me like a classic Rueck PG.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
It's just people not keeping track . . . and to be fair, I can't tell you the precise breakdown of UConn's last three recruiting classes, so why should I expect anyone else to know OSU's situation to that detail?

Here's the detail:
As of 2020/2021 season:
**Has never played, but when she finally hits the floor (real soon, now), she'll change the game forever.

One would assume that Rueck's goal this year would be to get *at least* two guards, and I don't think he'd mind taking on three. Three would bring the total to seven (six recruited athletes and the walk-on, Mannen). That barely fills the two-deep.

A true PG would be nice, but Rueck's idea of a PG is not what most people think of as a PG. Syd Wiese was 6' tall and a record-breaking shooter. Aleah Goodman is barely shorter and has even more shooting range. They say that Sasha Goforth is a "combo-guard" - but she sure looks to me like a classic Rueck PG.

Thanks for the class-by-class breakdown. We do that in our recruiting update for the Irish on "McGraw's Bench" (it's quite helpful even for day-to-day fans, let alone occasional posters or lurkers), but it's hard to keep up on everyone's players.

I look forward to the day when Ms. Aquino hits the floor again. I saw her last two games as a high school player in New Jersey at Patterson HS and, in fact, posted a report here on the Boneyard. If she is able to come back from the myraid number of medical issues, I think she's a very different kind of player. To say she needed to grow into that frame was an understatement, but I was always struck by her agility for someone so tall, She was practically nimble at times. All power to her.

Reaction Score

Here's the detail:
As of 2020/2021 season:

Goodman is 5'9", a full three inches shorter than Wiese. Goodman is an outstanding shooter, but has great difficulty creating separation from her defender when she plays the point. Goodman's strength is being off the ball. Hopefully, Slocum returns for her final year and holds the point down for one more year. If Slocum doesn't return, Goforth may be forced to handle the ball and initiate the offense frequently as a frosh.

Reaction Score
I'm a tad skeptical of "best bud" (or herd) mentality among young adults (read teenagers). I remember conversations about various permutations of US National Team players and thus far, they all seem to pick the school that is best for themselves. That said, Goforth and Kennedy Brown have all been putting friendly persuasion on Verhulst who, IMHO, is the real catch of the group. From a practical standpoint, if even "just" three of them go to OSU, who is going to sit? OSU, with their slew of talented bigs (including Ms. Brown and Taylor Jones) is not going to go one big, four wings.

Besides, the Irish in me hopes Verhulst, a fine representative of Bishop Miege, should join Olivia Miles in a reprise of the U.S. National Team backcourt in Chile. Run and gun Irish!
Well, ND and a couple of other schools have been burned by the" all 3X3 US National teams players are all going to same team" train.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Well, ND and a couple of other schools as been burned by the" all 3X3 US National teams players are all going to same team" train.

Head bang

That's the precise reason why I wrote of my skepticism in the post! has generally followed the trials and tribulation of (some combination therof) Sam Brunelle, Hailey Van Lith, Aaliyah Boston, Paige Bueckers on 3x3 and expansion into the larger overall team. As an Irish fan who has watched a number of those players end up at proverbial "other" altars, I'm still totallying my uber bills for those arenas! :mad::eek: All power to the Beavers for getting two players from that 3x3 team. If they get a third, they'll win a big hand. However, one never knows what will come into a decision....

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Thanks for confirming that Ms. Miles has been out to the Farm..I'd been wondering about that. She dropped by ND on her way to the Indy AAU event last summer and visited with some former Philly Belle teammates.

ND does not have a lot of slots open in 2021 and for a variety of reasons (injury, illness), is reasonably well-positioned at off-guard. But they will go after one, as well as the all-important lead guard. Besides Ms. Miles, keep an eye on Ari Wiggins out of Indianapolis, who has been up to the Bend on many occasions (and has been observed by Irish coaches over the winter).

Looks like Wiggins is the next SC/ND battle at point guard. SC is also going after Wiggins for it's lead guard role in that class, and we do reasonably well (Ty Harris, Brea Beal, Zia Cooke) in the Midwest for a Southern school. Raven Johnson, a point guard out of Georgia, is another point guard we're going after in that class. Hopefully we can get one of the two.

Reaction Score
The clock has started for Aquino. Even though she's never played she won't be a Fr. Will be a Redshirt Soph in 20/21.
Perhaps, but I believe that given that the circumstances for missing two seasons were beyond her control, she has a good shot at a medical redshirt and thus "six-to-play-four". We won't know until there is a petition.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Looks like Wiggins is the next SC/ND battle at point guard. SC is also going after Wiggins for it's lead guard role in that class, and we do reasonably well (Ty Harris, Brea Beal, Zia Cooke) in the Midwest for a Southern school. Raven Johnson, a point guard out of Georgia, is another point guard we're going after in that class. Hopefully we can get one of the two.

Thanks for the news...both Interesting (or nerve wracking...;) ).
Both SC and ND have Heritage Christian alums who can reach back to the junior, Ms. Wiggins: Ty Harris, of course, for the Gamecocks and Katlyn Gilbert for the Irish. SC does do very well recruiting in the heartland, but in this case, I heartily endorse Raven Johnson (I hear she's Dawn's type of player. :D)

Will keep you posted on any Wiggins/ND news. Please do the same out of SC. Thx. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
If I had to guess, I think Verhulst’s decision comes down to Oregon, Oregon State, and Notre Dame (I also think Louisville and Tennessee are still in the game given recent visits in the fall/winter).

If I were a top guard prospect, I’d be very cautious about Oregon because they are incredibly talented and deep at the guard positions. Bigby, Parrish, PaoPao, Scherr, Shelley, and Winterburn are all terrific guards, and playing time would be really tough to come by, even though Verhulst is extremely talented.

I could potentially see Rueck employing a lineup of Verhulst/von Oelhoffen, Kampschroeder, and Goforth on the perimeter. Would be similar to his backcourt of Pivec, McWilliams, and Tudor in 17-18 with no true point guard.

Seems like Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, and Notre Dame will be in a lot of recruiting battles for 2021s. Three are targeting Citron, three are targeting Miles, three are targeting Wolfenbarger, and two are targeting von Oelhoffen. It’ll be interesting to see who lands who.

I'm hardly an insider about any of this, but I'm also a bit surprised (Oregon-wise) as well, since the list of guards/wings on the roster at the beginning of 2021 would actually be 7, not 6 (add Chavez), with 1 senior (Chavez), 2 juniors (Shelley and Winterburn), 3 sophomores (PaoPao, Scherr, Parrish) and a freshman (Bigby).

On the other hand, Graves has hinted that he has at least one more 2021 commitment, but can't say more until the recruit (or recruits) makes (make) an announcement. Part of me thinks that Oregon would do well to hold a scholarship or two until 2022 in order to balance the classes a bit more evenly, but perhaps the staff assumes that either Sedona Prince or Nyara Sabally (or both) will only stay for 2 years, rather than 3, or even, with some sort of medical waiver, 4. In any case, both Oregon schools seem to be getting the players they want as often as not.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Perhaps, but I believe that given that the circumstances for missing two seasons were beyond her control, she has a good shot at a medical redshirt and thus "six-to-play-four". We won't know until there is a petition.

I'll be happy to see her on the court at all. If she does eventually get to play 4 years, great, but that's way down the road and it could be she never plays at all.

Reaction Score
I'm hardly an insider about any of this, but I'm also a bit surprised (Oregon-wise) as well, since the list of guards/wings on the roster at the beginning of 2021 would actually be 7, not 6 (add Chavez), with 1 senior (Chavez), 2 juniors (Shelley and Winterburn), 3 sophomores (PaoPao, Scherr, Parrish) and a freshman (Bigby).

On the other hand, Graves has hinted that he has at least one more 2021 commitment, but can't say more until the recruit (or recruits) makes (make) an announcement. Part of me thinks that Oregon would do well to hold a scholarship or two until 2022 in order to balance the classes a bit more evenly, but perhaps the staff assumes that either Sedona Prince or Nyara Sabally (or both) will only stay for 2 years, rather than 3, or even, with some sort of medical waiver, 4. In any case, both Oregon schools seem to be getting the players they want as often as not.
Another Grad transfer in the works. If it pans out you will be happy with this one!

Reaction Score
Another Grad transfer in the works. If it pans out you will be happy with this one!
Has this individual already entered the portal? I feel like there isn’t any grad transfer in the portal better than what UO already has, but Kelly did say he wants a GT.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Has this individual already entered the portal? I feel like there isn’t any grad transfer in the portal better than what UO already has, but Kelly did say he wants a GT.

Guessing Carrington.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Guessing Carrington.
Oh man, that would be apostasy. I really like Carrington, and it makes sense since her brother went there for football before transferring to Utah, so she's familiar with the school and with Eugene. But if she grad transferred to Oregon, I'd have a hard time rooting for her. And I know we didn't have a spot for her, but still... :eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Oh man, that would be apostasy. I really like Carrington, and it makes sense since her brother went there for football before transferring to Utah, so she's familiar with the school and with Eugene. But if she grad transferred to Oregon, I'd have a hard time rooting for her. And I know we didn't have a spot for her, but still... :eek::eek::eek:
Great wideout. He actually was dismissed from the team, if I remember correctly--mostly, I believe, for multiple violations involving a recreational drug.

Reaction Score
Forgot about her. Makes sense.
I heard Kelly’s comments about a possible grad transfer. It was pretty much...if we can get one that will be impactful, great but if we have to play our current hand we’ll be fine. Carrington would be impactful and she has connections to Oregon, but I think it’s not probable she’ll end up at Oregon. She will have a ton of options all over the country, some with a better chance of going all the way next year than Oregon. I would love to see her at Oregon, but that would make Graves’ challenge of managing playing time that much harder.

if Carrington ends up at Oregon next year it will make for a more entertaining year in Eugene next year, but it will probably make it harder to keep all the talented players together the following year.

Reaction Score
I heard Kelly’s comments about a possible grad transfer. It was pretty much...if we can get one that will be impactful, great but if we have to play our current hand we’ll be fine. Carrington would be impactful and she has connections to Oregon, but I think it’s not probable she’ll end up at Oregon. She will have a ton of options all over the country, some with a better chance of going all the way next year than Oregon. I would love to see her at Oregon, but that would make Graves’ challenge of managing playing time that much harder.

if Carrington ends up at Oregon next year it will make for a more entertaining year in Eugene next year, but it will probably make it harder to keep all the talented players together the following year.
I agree with that. In 20-21, I assume the depth chart at the guard slots would look like:
PG: Chavez, PaoPao, Yaeger
SG: Shelley, Scherr, Winterburn
SF: Boley, Parrish

I’m not sure on the exact positions for a few of them, or who Graves plans on starting at point, but that its a very solid, deep, young group at the guard spot. I understand where Graves would want to add experience, but adding Carrington probably takes 25-30 MPG at the SG spot.

If he gets her, great, but the silver lining in not would be getting the youth extra experience.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score

FWIW, Carrington has said she wants to be a forensic criminologist, and apparently Maryland has one of the top programs in the country, and lots of connections to the FBI, etc. To the degree she is looking ahead past basketball, I can't imagine a better combination fit of degree program and athletic program.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Besides, the Irish in me hopes Verhulst, a fine representative of Bishop Miege, should join Olivia Miles in a reprise of the U.S. National Team backcourt in Chile. Run and gun Irish!

Miles has already visited and is being heavily recruited by Tara et al., and I know Verhulst has been among our longish list (10-15) of 2021 targets.

)The Verhulst family has visited ND for an unofficial; ND has gone to see Jersey W. recently and Citron was offered last summer.
- As mentioned in my prior post, Verhulst is very much in touch with current and prospective Beaver players.

What absolutely kills me as a Duke grad/fan (and I believe I mentioned this to @EricLA and @ucbart in our group chat and on our group phone calls) is that Payton Verhulst is the daughter of 1992 Duke graduate (and former DWB player) Robin Baker Verhulst.

As a Duke player, Robin Baker saw action in 82 games, while making 70 starts from 1988-1992 with the Blue Devils. She averaged 11.5 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.8 assists as a senior to close out her career.

But is Duke anywhere on her daughter's radar? As of January 5, 2020, Payton Verhulst's list of nine schools included Arizona State, Connecticut, Louisville, Missouri, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, and Tennessee. Duke is NOWHERE to be found, notwithstanding the fact her mother played there collegiately!!

As an aside, Baker graduated in 1992, which was head coach Debbie Leonard's last year. Leonard stepped down at the end of the 1991-92 season (her 15th), and Duke hired then-Purdue assistant coach Gail Goestenkors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom