Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Mississippi State fans may already be aware of this, but MSU signee De'Yona Gaston, a 6-3 forward from Pearland HS (outside Houston), played her final high school game last night. Her team lost in the 3rd round of the state playoffs, and Gaston had 17 points in the loss. This article from the Houston paper includes a nice action photo of Gaston from the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Mississippi State fans may already be aware of this, but MSU signee De'Yona Gaston, a 6-3 forward from Pearland HS (outside Houston), played her last high school game last night. Her team lost in the 3rd round of the state playoffs, and Gaston had 17 points in the loss. This article from the Houston paper includes a nice action photo of Gaston from the game.

Thank you for posting. I saw this late last night. I’m trying to figure out how much I should expect from her next season. Late in the season I saw some highlights and she is taller and had better size than I realized. However my understanding she was ranked in the top ten nationally early in freshman season before hurting her knee her sophomore year. She was limited her junior year but seems to be doing fairly well this season. Her team did pretty good but honestly I have tempered my expectations of her. I would have expected her to take her team further based on her prior ranking. Has anyone seen her play or have additional information on her? We need her to provide some more size in the high post. For a while we were recruiting A Edwards and I think D Gaston was the alternate to her when Edwards was obviously going elsewhere.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Mater Dei ( Brooke Demetre) (sp) vs Winward is replaying on FSPTHD Channel 1774 on UVerse. CIF-SS Open Division. JUJU Watkins plays for Windward. Watkins is averaging 20 points a game as a freshman.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Mater Dei ( Brooke Demetre) (sp) vs Winward is replaying on FSPTHD Channel 1774 on UVerse. CIF-SS Open Division. JUJU Watkins plays for Windward. Watkins is averaging 20 points a game as a freshman.

I have recent posts and video from that game in the UConn recruit thread.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Don't know where else to put this. Hailey Van Lith's Cashmere squad was up 8 entering the 4th quarter of the State 1A Championship. They only scored 4 more points and lost by 3. They were runner up 3 times and I believe 3rd place the other year during her career.

Dalayah Daniels did pick up a 3A Championship w/ Garfield tonight. She was hurt for a chunk of the season, I think they've been carried by transfer Meghan Fiso, a Michigan commit.

Reaction Score
Don't know where else to put this. Hailey Van Lith's Cashmere squad was up 8 entering the 4th quarter of the State 1A Championship. They only scored 4 more points and lost by 3. They were runner up 3 times and I believe 3rd place the other year during her career.

Dalayah Daniels did pick up a 3A Championship w/ Garfield tonight. She was hurt for a chunk of the season, I think they've been carried by transfer Meghan Fiso, a Michigan commit.

Does Van Lith disappear at the most important time? 4 points for the team all 4th quarter. Just crazy.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Does Van Lith disappear at the most important time? 4 points for the team all 4th quarter. Just crazy.

Didn't see the game. I saw them live once, she was nearly a one woman team. They had another little guard who hit some 3's, but otherwise it was pretty much just Van Lith driving at will.

Reaction Score
Kiya Dorroh, a 6-0 W from Tucson, AZ committed to Missouri. She’s ranked #54 in 2021. Chose Missouri over Texas, North Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Nebraska.

I believe 10 of ESPN’s top-60 ranked players have now committed to a school.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Kiya Dorroh, a 6-0 W from Tucson, AZ committed to Missouri. She’s ranked #54 in 2021. Chose Missouri over Texas, North Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Nebraska.

I believe 10 of ESPN’s top-60 ranked players have now committed to a school.

Let me know when someone commits to Duke

skeleton.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That's how I feel about a certain team that is located in Seattle. Being ground zero for the Covid-19 outbreak in the U.S. I'm sure is really helping in that regard.

That didnt even cross my mind... wow... I wonder if any recruits (all sports) are rethinking their commitments to schools in the hot spot areas.

Reaction Score
That's how I feel about a certain team that is located in Seattle. Being ground zero for the Covid-19 outbreak in the U.S. I'm sure is really helping in that regard.
Pretty sure that assistant coaches who are contacting recruits by phone (when allowed) will be reminding the recruits that Washington is at the epicenter of the outbreak in our country and their campus city is safer. There likely will be lots of re-recruiting to be done as signed recruits may re-think their options and seek a release from LOIs. The game has changed with respect to college athletics. And it has done so primarily in the span of several days....

Reaction Score
This is a huge get for Oregon State. Beating out Stanford is no small feat. (assuming she was accepted). Will best buds Verhulst and Von Oelhoffen follow suit? That would complete a fearsome foursome!
[Goforth (2020)+Kampschroeder+Verhulst+Von Oelhoffen]

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This is a huge get for Oregon State. Beating out Stanford is no small feat. (assuming she was accepted). Will best buds Verhulst and Von Oelhoffen follow suit? That would complete a fearsome foursome!
[Goforth (2020)+Kampschroeder+Verhulst+Von Oelhoffen]

I'm a tad skeptical of "best bud" (or herd) mentality among young adults (read teenagers). I remember conversations about various permutations of US National Team players and thus far, they all seem to pick the school that is best for themselves. That said, Goforth and Kennedy Brown have all been putting friendly persuasion on Verhulst who, IMHO, is the real catch of the group. From a practical standpoint, if even "just" three of them go to OSU, who is going to sit? OSU, with their slew of talented bigs (including Ms. Brown and Taylor Jones) is not going to go one big, four wings.

Besides, the Irish in me hopes Verhulst, a fine representative of Bishop Miege, should join Olivia Miles in a reprise of the U.S. National Team backcourt in Chile. Run and gun Irish!

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Verhulst, a fine representative of Bishop Miege, should join Olivia Miles in a reprise of the U.S. National Team backcourt in Chile.
I totally agree with you - except they should both reprise their show on the Farm. =D

Miles has already visited and is being heavily recruited by Tara et al., and I know Verhulst has been among our longish list (10-15) of 2021 targets. Then again, Kampschroader was too, until this morning...

Reaction Score
I'm a tad skeptical of "best bud" (or herd) mentality among young adults (read teenagers). I remember conversations about various permutations of US National Team players and thus far, they all seem to pick the school that is best for themselves. That said, Goforth and Kennedy Brown have all been putting friendly persuasion on Verhulst who, IMHO, is the real catch of the group. From a practical sttiandpoint, if even "just" three of them go to OSU, who is going to sit? OSU, with their slew of talented bigs (including Ms. Brown) is not going to go one big-four wings.

Besides, the Irish in me things Verhulst, a fine representative of Bishop Miege, should join Olivia Miles in a reprise of the U.S. National Team backcourt in Chile. Run and gun Irish!
If I had to guess, I think Verhulst’s decision comes down to Oregon, Oregon State, and Notre Dame (I also think Louisville and Tennessee are still in the game given recent visits in the fall/winter).

If I were a top guard prospect, I’d be very cautious about Oregon because they are incredibly talented and deep at the guard positions. Bigby, Parrish, PaoPao, Scherr, Shelley, and Winterburn are all terrific guards, and playing time would be really tough to come by, even though Verhulst is extremely talented.

I could potentially see Rueck employing a lineup of Verhulst/von Oelhoffen, Kampschroeder, and Goforth on the perimeter. Would be similar to his backcourt of Pivec, McWilliams, and Tudor in 17-18 with no true point guard.

Seems like Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, and Notre Dame will be in a lot of recruiting battles for 2021s. Three are targeting Citron, three are targeting Miles, three are targeting Wolfenbarger, and two are targeting von Oelhoffen. It’ll be interesting to see who lands who.

Reaction Score
I'm a tad skeptical of "best bud" (or herd) mentality among young adults (read teenagers). I remember conversations about various permutations of US National Team players and thus far, they all seem to pick the school that is best for themselves. That said, Goforth and Kennedy Brown have all been putting friendly persuasion on Verhulst who, IMHO, is the real catch of the group. From a practical sttiandpoint, if even "just" three of them go to OSU, who is going to sit? OSU, with their slew of talented bigs (including Ms. Brown) is not going to go one big-four wings.

Besides, the Irish in me things Verhulst, a fine representative of Bishop Miege, should join Olivia Miles in a reprise of the U.S. National Team backcourt in Chile. Run and gun Irish!
Well, Kennedy Brown followed her friend Taylor Jones to OSU, so it CAN happen. And, so what if OSU has a few wings or 2/3 guards? Lots of folks thought they recruited too many bigs too, yet by year's end, only ONE of them (Jones) was still playing or able to play. [Correction - Patricia Morris was still playing at season's end as well, but her role was limited backup duty.]

ADDED NOTE: As far as "too many wings" on the same team, their 3x3 USA team of 1 forward and 3 wings (Verhulst, Kampschroeder, Goforth) seemed happy enough together!

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well, Kennedy Brown followed her friend Taylor Jones to OSU, so it CAN happen. And, so what if OSU has a few wings or 2/3 guards? Lots of folks thought they recruited too many bigs too, yet by year's end, only ONE of them (Jones) was still playing or able to play.

It's not like other teams aren't continuously stockpiling talent either. I think OSU should actually look fairly attractive to guards and wings still. Slocum and Goodman will use up their eligibility next season, Simmons will be the only upperclassmen left at that point.

Reaction Score
It's not like other teams aren't continuously stockpiling talent either. I think OSU should actually look fairly attractive to guards and wings still. Slocum and Goodman will use up their eligibility next season, Simmons will be the only upperclassmen left at that point.
Yeah, it's funny how some folks think Oregon State will have too many 2/3 guards if 1 or 2 more of these gals commit to OSU...apparently only the "truly elite" teams are allowed to build depth at positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom