Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
According to several members of McGraw's Bench, 2021 point guard prospect Ari Wiggins attended the ND-Pitt game yesterday. MPG reports her brother is considering/under strong consideration from ND's baseball team, so the family is very much in a "mutual interest" zone with ND right now. The 5'8" Wiggins (#12 PN, #28 HG) plays at Heritiage Christian High School (same as ND guard Katlyn Gilbert) and with the Indy Gym Rats on the AAU circuit. The other 2021 PG associated with the Irish at this point is Oliva Miles, who visited campus last summer and was given a tour by former Philly Belle teammate and ND sophomore, Danielle Cosgrove.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
According to several members of McGraw's Bench, 2020 point guard prospect Ari Wiggins attended the ND-Pitt game yesterday. MPG reports her brother is considering/under strong consideration from ND's baseball team, so the family is very much in a "mutual interest" zone with ND right now. The 5'8" Wiggins (#12 PN, #28 HG) plays at Heritiage Christian High School (same as ND guard Katlyn Gilbert) and with the Indy Gym Rats on the AAU circuit. The other 2020 PG associated with the Irish at this point is Oliva Miles, who visited campus last summer and was given a tour by former Philly Belle teammate and ND sophomore, Danielle Cosgrove.

You mean 2021 PGs

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This isn't exactly recruiting news, but I think it's interesting. Hailey Van Lith became the all time leading scorer in Washington high school history on the girls side on Saturday, now has 2886. Unbelievably, the boys record was broken on the SAME DAY! What are the chances of that happening? Van Lith broke a mark that stood since 1995. For boys, the old record was just set last year.

Looking thru the top 15 list, mostly names I don't know who didn't go on to big things. Not surprisingly of the players who were notable playing at the D1 level, almost all of them left Washington for college. McPhee and Starbird (#3 and #4) to Stanford, Lambert (#8) to Baylor, and of course now Van Lith. Only Franza (#14) played at Washington.

Reaction Score
This isn't exactly recruiting news, but I think it's interesting. Hailey Van Lith became the all time leading scorer in Washington high school history on the girls side on Saturday, now has 2886. Unbelievably, the boys record was broken on the SAME DAY! What are the chances of that happening? Van Lith broke a mark that stood since 1995. For boys, the old record was just set last year.

Looking thru the top 15 list, mostly names I don't know who didn't go on to big things. Not surprisingly of the players who were notable playing at the D1 level, almost all of them left Washington for college. McPhee and Starbird (#3 and #4) to Stanford, Lambert (#8) to Baylor, and of course now Van Lith. Only Franza (#14) played at Washington.
Does von Oelhoffen have any chance to break Van Lith’s record? I know she plays at a bigger school now so I’m guessing she doesn’t put up quite as many points.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Does von Oelhoffen have any chance to break Van Lith’s record? I know she plays at a bigger school now so I’m guessing she doesn’t put up quite as many points.

Max Preps shows her averaging 29.1 ppg in 53 games her Fr. and Soph year, but doesn't have anything listed for this season.

The article in the Seattle Times about Van Lith didn't mention von Oelhoffen, but it did mention Juliana Walker from Annie Wright School in Tacoma has 2291 and she is a Jr., so she's easily on pace to catch up to Hailey next year. About 600 behind and averaging well over 700 per season.

Reaction Score
Max Preps shows her averaging 29.1 ppg in 53 games her Fr. and Soph year, but doesn't have anything listed for this season.

The article in the Seattle Times about Van Lith didn't mention von Oelhoffen, but it did mention Juliana Walker from Annie Wright School in Tacoma has 2291 and she is a Jr., so she's easily on pace to catch up to Hailey next year. About 600 behind and averaging well over 700 per season.
Found this on von Oelhoffen:

Sheesh. Lots of big time scorers.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Found this on von Oelhoffen:

Sheesh. Lots of big time scorers.

Good find. So von Oelhoffen might pass Van Lith next year but be in 2nd place on the career list.

Reaction Score
Carla offered a 5-11 sweet shooting guard out of Pittsburgh:

Already holds offers from Pitt and West Virginia.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Sa'Myah Smith, a 6'4" sophomore forward from DeSoto HS (just south of Dallas), has received an offer from Baylor.

Smith is currently ranked #17 in the class of 2022 by HG (highest-ranked sophomore in Texas). She tore her ACL in a Dec. 28 game against Duncanville.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
I just watched this kid put on an incredible performance as part of an incredible high school game, where South Grand Prairie (ranked 7th in the state) beat Irving MacArthur (feat. Baylor signees Andrews and Gusters) on a buzzer-beater.

Kiara Jackson eight 3-pointers on her way to 28 points, plus 6 assists and 2 steals. This earned her Dallas Morning News POTW honors.

The article says she's received interest from North Texas, Gonzaga, Tulsa and Kansas State. Her athleticism may not be at quite the level of the blue-chippers, but she has poise and IQ galore.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I just watched this kid put on an incredible performance as part of an incredible high school game, where South Grand Prairie (ranked 7th in the state) beat Irving MacArthur (feat. Baylor signees Andrews and Gusters) on a buzzer-beater.

Kiara Jackson eight 3-pointers on her way to 28 points, plus 6 assists and 2 steals. This earned her Dallas Morning News POTW honors.

The article says she's received interest from North Texas, Gonzaga, Tulsa and Kansas State. Her athleticism may not be at quite the level of the blue-chippers, but she has poise and IQ galore.

Highlights from the game.... Texas has some very good high school basketball teams especially girls.

Thanks to both for passing along both the article and footage, I know highlights packages are, well, highlights packages, but I was impressed by how many players were able to launch three's (and by their respective forms). Plus, there was some tough work going on in the paint.

This player, as she fills out and gets a little stronger, would be a natural at Gonzaga and I can picture her running up and down in a DePaul and/or Creighton uninform as well.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Thanks to both for passing along both the article and footage, I know highlights packages are, well, highlights packages, but I was impressed by how many players were able to launch three's (and by their respective forms). Plus, there was some tough work going on in the paint.

This player, as she fills out and gets a little stronger, would be a natural at Gonzaga and I can picture her running up and down in a DePaul and/or Creighton uninform as well.
I had the exact same thought when I saw the list. She was 8 of 13 for 3s in this game, and several of those were from NBA range. The two that she hit in the final 2 minutes of the game to regain the lead for her team were just ice water in the veins kind of stuff. Apparently this was not customary for her, as she only averages about 11 ppg.

I found out after the game that the player for SGP who made the buzzer beater is an Oral Roberts signee.

Andrews and Gusters were impressive, as you’d expect from two of the top recruits in the nation, but with some caveats. Andrews is a powerhouse, kind of a rugby type build, incredibly athletic, very versatile and great passer. Not many players are like her out there. The one comparison that occurred to me was Arike — not quite that next-level change of speed, but definitely a better passer.

I did notice she got really winded from SGP’s full court pressure, but maybe she’s still working back into conditioning after she was out with injury earlier in the season. I think she’ll get some more than trivial floor time next year at Baylor, but I’ll be a little surprised if she’s a starter — at least not at PG.

Gusters is a big body and has pretty good mobility, handle and shooting touch for her size, but I also thought her decision making was a mixed bag. A single game can be misleading, but I came away with the impression she’ll be a bit more of a project than Andrews. But no doubt she deserves her blue chip status and she has the makings of an elite college player.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Tomorrow night's showdown between Duncanville and DeSoto just might be the most anticipated playoff game in Texas HS GBB history. They are ranked #1 and #2 in the state.

Duncanville, of course, is the most storied HS GBB program in the state. Last year they endured the scandal that led to the resignation of coach Cathy Self-Morgan, and they were shockingly upset in the 1st round of the playoffs. Duncanville is led by UNC signee Deja Kelly.

DeSoto is the ascendant power. Last year, playing with a roster that included 9 freshmen, 4 sophomores and only 1 junior and 1 senior, they made a surprise run to the state championship game. DeSoto has multiple D-I recruits on their roster, especially in their ridiculously loaded sophomore class. (However, the best of those sophomores, post player Sa'Myah Smith, is out with a torn ACL.)

These two teams played twice in the regular season, both times before the new year, and they split those games. Smith's ACL injury actually occurred early in the second meeting, a tournament final game which Duncanville won. Reportedly, some heated words were exchanged between the teams prior to the trophy ceremony.

Many people find it strange that the two top-ranked teams in the state play each other in only the 3rd round (the state tournament is 7 rounds total). This is because Texas does not use a statewide seeding system for its state tournament. Instead, playoff teams are "seeded" according to how they placed in their district (1st through 4th), and from there the brackets are predetermined. This means, for example, that the winner of District 7 will always be on a collision course to meet the District 8 winner in the 3rd round -- which is the case with Duncanville and DeSoto this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr