Non-UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Boley is not WNBA-ready and would benefit from another year of working on her game and conditioning. I would hope that Sabally stays for one more season to play a year with her sister.

Oregon will definitely lose Ionescu, Hebard, and Moore to graduation. Lots of potential court time for the underclassmen, 2020 signees, and 6'7" Sedona Prince in '20-'21 even if Sabally and Boley remain in Eugene.

We will have a better understanding of the talent that Graves has amassed to replace his prized Class of 2016 standouts by November. Not a Duck fan, but it appears that the Ducks may have more young depth next season than Graves has had in Eugene. Minus the "Franchise" and a player in Hebard who has out together a 2,000/1,000 points/rebounds career with uncanny efficiency in the shadow of her accomplished classmate and teammate. Opposing PAC-12 WBB fans will be happy be see Ionescu and Hebard graduate and move on to the next level.

There seems to be a general misconception about the talent (on paper) that has fueled the Oregon teams for the past two seasons and this one. Ionescu is the only McDonald's All-American on those rosters that Graves initially recruited (Boley was a transfer) and the remaining players were not top 10 or even top 25 in the Hoopgurlz ratings. Hebard (#40) and Sabally (#36) are the most obvious examples, but Cazorla and Bando didn't even make the top 100, as is the case with Moore and the 3 2019 recruits, even though Shelley clearly belongs, as does, imo, Winterburn.

There are obviously reasons for this--most obviously Hoopgurlz's lack of knowledge regarding international players--but it also indicates that the Oregon staff has a very good eye for talent, as well as the abillity to develop that talent once it arrives in Eugene. (I believe that Oregon State was the only other program serously interested in S. Sabally.) Next year will be different (on paper), and @WestCoast is absolutely right: there will be more young talent in Eugene than Graves has assembled up to this point: Nyara Sabally and Sedona Prince (assuming both are heathy) + 5 incoming recruits ranked #10, #15, #19, #24, and #33 on Hoopgurlz and even higher by some services (notably Bluestar). What this will mean going forward is of course yet to be determined, but it does make 2020 and beyond a very intriguing prospect for Duck fans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There seems to be a general misconception about the talent (on paper) that has fueled the Oregon teams for the past two seasons and this one. Ionescu is the only McDonald's All-American on those rosters that Graves initially recruited (Boley was a transfer) and the remaining players were not top 10 or even top 25 in the Hoopgurlz ratings. Hebard (#40) and Sabally (#36) are the most obvious examples, but Cazorla and Bando didn't even make the top 100, as is the case with Moore and the 3 2019 recruits, even though Shelley clearly belongs, as does, imo, Winterburn.

There are obviously reasons for this--most obviously Hoopgurlz's lack of knowledge regarding international players--but it also indicates that the Oregon staff has a very good eye for talent, as well as the abillity to develop that talent once it arrives in Eugene. (I believe that Oregon State was the only other program serously interested in S. Sabally.) Next year will be different (on paper), and @WestCoast is absolutely right: there will be more young talent in Eugene than Graves has assembled up to this point: Nyara Sabally and Sedona Prince (assuming both are heathy) + 5 incoming recruits ranked #10, #15, #19, #24, and #33 on Hoopgurlz and even higher by some services (notably Bluestar). What this will mean going forward is of course yet to be determined, but it does make 2020 and beyond a very intriguing prospect for Duck fans.

Reaction Score

I think PaoPao is the best player in Oregon’s 2020 class, despite being ranked the lowest by espnW, which is of course due to enduring multiple knee-related injuries.

Shelley was one that I had always regarded as probably a top-30 player based on her international resume, though Olson appears to be gradually putting less and less European and Australian prospects in his rankings, compared to when there were seemingly 5-10 in each class.

Sabally’s other three finalists, in addition to Oregon State, were Gonzaga, Kentucky, and Arizona State.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Apparently USC commit Jordyn Jenkins from Kent, WA injured her knee at the end of December and may be out for the rest of the season. Nature of the injury is unspecified. Hopefully she has a quick and full recovery.

Reaction Score
Latasha Lattimore was on an unofficial to Florida this weekend. My early prediction for her is Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Raegan Beers, a high prospect from Colorado for 2022, made an unofficial visit to Oregon State this past weekend with her father and attended both OSU games.

opps....I see DaBball reported this in post #79. Well, I did include a pic :)

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

There are obviously reasons for this--most obviously Hoopgurlz's lack of knowledge regarding international players--but it also indicates that the Oregon staff has a very good eye for talent, as well as the abillity to develop that talent once it arrives in Eugene. (I believe that Oregon State was the only other program serously interested in S. Sabally.)

With all due respect to @jonson (and others who have posted on this topic) -- and as I have previously posted on June 7, 2019 and July 18, 2019 --

I find the discussion of "underrated" and "overrated" and recruiting "misses" a bit misleading, in the sense of examining the HS Class of 2016 rankings (largely completed in the fall of 2015, after the previous HS season and summer AAU events) and looking at them through 2019 lenses.

Recruiting rankings involve evaluations of where a player IS at that particular moment in time, in terms of skills and abilities -- with some measure/allowance for potential (e.g., an uber-athlete who is just getting by on instinct and athleticism, having a metric to assess potential to correct shooting form, etc.).

Recruiting rankings CANNOT predict how a player -- likely 17 years old at the time of the last major evaluation and the rankings release before the fall signing period -- will respond to a particular coach, will adjust to college, will interact with her teammates, will overcome injuries, etc. It is a present sense impression assessment with a certain metric component for future potential; it is not a be-all, end-all prediction of college performance, nor can it be.

I do not believe that a player cannot be considered "overrated" simply because she was a very highly ranked player in the fall 2015 rankings but did not become a superstar three years later while others passed her, in terms of accolades, accomplishments, etc.. It simply means that other players improved a lot more and surpassed expected performances for their respective rankings. "Living up/not living up to expectations for the ranking" might be a better characterization.

Similarly, I do not believe a player can be considered "underrated" or "underranked" by a recruiting service (thereby characterizing the recruiting service as "wrong" or having "missed") simply because she was rated at a certain spot in the fall of her senior year in high school, then far surpassed any expectations or potential in college.

But looking at this nearly FOUR years later (again, focusing on the last major rating/evaluation occurring in the fall before a player's senior year), without accounting for all of the variables (and them some) that I listed above, then going back to critique the original rankings and determining who was/is "overrated" or "underrated" by the recruiting services and whether the under-ranking was the result of the recruiting service's "lack of knowledge"? Sorry, I do not see the requisite foundation for such an argument/assessment.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
With all due respect to @jonson (and others who have posted on this topic) -- and as I have previously posted on June 7, 2019 and July 18, 2019 --

I find the discussion of "underrated" and "overrated" and recruiting "misses" a bit misleading, in the sense of examining the HS Class of 2016 rankings (largely completed in the fall of 2015, after the previous HS season and summer AAU events) and looking at them through 2019 lenses.

Recruiting rankings involve evaluations of where a player IS at that particular moment in time, in terms of skills and abilities -- with some measure/allowance for potential (e.g., an uber-athlete who is just getting by on instinct and athleticism, having a metric to assess potential to correct shooting form, etc.).

Recruiting rankings CANNOT predict how a player -- likely 17 years old at the time of the last major evaluation and the rankings release before the fall signing period -- will respond to a particular coach, will adjust to college, will interact with her teammates, will overcome injuries, etc. It is a present sense impression assessment with a certain metric component for future potential; it is not a be-all, end-all prediction of college performance, nor can it be.

I do not believe that a player cannot be considered "overrated" simply because she was a very highly ranked player in the fall 2015 rankings but did not become a superstar three years later while others passed her, in terms of accolades, accomplishments, etc.. It simply means that other players improved a lot more and surpassed expected performances for their respective rankings. "Living up/not living up to expectations for the ranking" might be a better characterization.

Similarly, I do not believe a player can be considered "underrated" or "underranked" by a recruiting service (thereby characterizing the recruiting service as "wrong" or having "missed") simply because she was rated at a certain spot in the fall of her senior year in high school, then far surpassed any expectations or potential in college.

But looking at this nearly FOUR years later (again, focusing on the last major rating/evaluation occurring in the fall before a player's senior year), without accounting for all of the variables (and them some) that I listed above, then going back to critique the original rankings and determining who was/is "overrated" or "underrated" by the recruiting services and whether the under-ranking was the result of the recruiting service's "lack of knowledge"? Sorry, I do not see the requisite foundation for such an argument/assessment.
I realize a discussion like this could go on forever, and in fact agree with everything you say about the many factors impacting a given players development at the college level. However, I do think that the services claim--and many fans certainly take them to provide--a bit more than a "certain metric component for future potential." After all, one recruiting service does call itself PROSPECTS NATION, and it's not difficult to find comments like "impact player at the next level" or "elite prospect" throughout the Hoopgurlz blurbs. The numerical ratings also imply a fair degree of precision, with the #2 guard presumably a better "prospect" than, say, the #8 guard. Whether that's really possible, or even fair, given all the variables you list is, I think, another, and important, question.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Apparently USC commit Jordyn Jenkins from Kent, WA injured her knee at the end of December and may be out for the rest of the season. Nature of the injury is unspecified. Hopefully she has a quick and full recovery.

Update. Jenkins is done for the year, it was an ACL.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I just noticed that South Carolina only has ONE top 100 recruit signed for next year.
#43 Eniya Russell. What's going on here? Are there other signed recruits that are outside the top 100 coming in?

1579192915241.png

Reaction Score
Just Russell and Destiny Littleton becoming eligible at this point.

Wouldn't shock me if there was a transfer in or two.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I just noticed that South Carolina only has ONE top 100 recruit signed for next year.
#43 Eniya Russell. What's going on here? Are there other signed recruits that are outside the top 100 coming in?

View attachment 49982

We never follow up a big class with another big class.

Wilson's class in 2014, a #2 ranked big class, was followed by a class of one (Canadian prospect, Shay Colley).

As good as Wilson's class was (A'ja Wilson, Jatarie White, Kaydra Duckett, Bianca Cuevas, Doniyah Cliney), our 2019 class is significantly better, so most of us weren't expecting more than 2 or so players in the 2020 class. Even so, SC was in the game late with several players in the class of 2020.. Angel Reese, Kamilla Cardoso, Diamond Johnson, Olivia Cochran, Treasure Hunt etc. Not sure many of those players wanted to play behind Zia Cooke, Brea Beal, Laeticia Amihere and Aliyah Boston for 4 years.. 3 of our current freshmen are probably going to end up being starters for all 4 years of their collegiate careers.

Not to mention, SC still has very good players in Destanni Henderson, Destiny Littleton, Victaria Saxton and Lele Grissett (our ONLY senior in 2020-21) that will also be competing for major minutes next season, so there's almost no playing time for a big freshmen class in 2020.

2021 and 2022 are talented classes in South Carolina, and I know Dawn likes a lot of players nationally in those classes as well so I'm predicting both classes will be a little bigger to add to what we'll eventually lose with 2019.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Payton Verhulst, (#8 HG, #10 PN), 6'1" shooting guard from Bishop Miege H.S., Kansas, had an unofficial visit to Notre Dame, taking in the Miami game on Jan. 19th. Afterwards, she (was) warmly greeted by ND coaches Beth Morgan Cunningham and Michaela Mabrey, who are now heading up Irish recruiting efforts with Niele Ivey in the NBA coaching ranks. Matt McGraw, Muffet's husband who is something of a great ambassador for the team, was chatting up Verhulst's dad. Thanks to valued McGraw's Bench contributor MPG, who was at the game and reported on this.

ND has mutual interest with three members of the backcourt of that U.S. National Team in Chile: Verhulst, Olivia Miles and Sonia Citron. Miles, of course, is a point guard (and even Touchdown Jesus knows the Irish need a long-term solution there :rolleyes: ) but me thinks ND could also use someone who can create her own space and shot, both inside and out. Verhulst has the capability and confidence to do just that. Stay tuned on the other guards' fronts.

Reaction Score
Payton Verhulst, (#8 HG, #10 PN), 6'1" shooting guard from Bishop Miege H.S., Kansas, had an unofficial visit to Notre Dame, taking in the Miami game on Jan. 19th. Afterwards, she (was) warmly greeted by ND coaches Beth Morgan Cunningham and Michaela Mabrey, who are now heading up Irish recruiting efforts with Niele Ivey in the NBA coaching ranks. Matt McGraw, Muffet's husband who is something of a great ambassador for the team, was chatting up Verhulst's dad. Thanks to valued McGraw's Bench contributor MPG, who was at the game and reported on this.

ND has mutual interest with three members of the backcourt of that U.S. National Team in Chile: Verhulst, Olivia Miles and Sonia Citron. Miles, of course, is a point guard (and even Touchdown Jesus knows the Irish need a long-term solution there :rolleyes: ) but me thinks ND could also use someone who can create her own space and shot, both inside and out. Verhulst has the capability and confidence to do just that. Stay tuned on the other guards' fronts.
I could totally see that happening. I'm surprised ND got in the game late with her. There is a difference between going to a Catholic HS and going to a Catholic HS because you're extremely religious, and Verhulst and family appear to be extremely religious, which bodes well for ND (though I thought the same about Clark).

I could also see Oregon State as a potential landing spot for Verhulst.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There are some high school games on today and the schedule was listed on a thread on the BY yesterday. Does anyone remember in which thread it was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom