Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 157 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How I know you are talking nonsense is that you said Kathryn Westbeld wasn't a huge factor for ND.

We must be watching different teams. She was 5th best player her SENIOR YEAR. Arike, Shepard, Mabrey, Young. If Turner had played she wouldn’t have even been a starter. I did say “huge” factor. Not any factor. I stand by Westbeld not being a “huge” factor.

As far as Kelly going elsewhere it’s an assumption based on her schedule change and the fact that Hayes is also a similar PG. And as mentioned Hayes and Kelly both seem same level, outside top 25 players.

As far as Muffett being unattractive it’s based on lots of info coming out of ND about Muffett being, as already mentioned, irrational and heavy handed. Ivey was the glue and the relationship. It’s all hearsay and rumors mostly comes from, again as mentioned, disgruntled ex players. So who knows. It’s just my opinion

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
We must be watching different teams. She was 5th best player her SENIOR YEAR. Arike, Shepard, Mabrey, Young. If Turner had played she wouldn’t have even been a starter. I did say “huge” factor. Not any factor. I stand by Westbeld not being a “huge” factor.

As far as Kelly going elsewhere it’s an assumption based on her schedule change and the fact that Hayes is also a similar PG. And as mentioned Hayes and Kelly both seem same level, outside top 25 players.

As far as Muffett being unattractive it’s based on lots of info coming out of ND about Muffett being, as already mentioned, irrational and heavy handed. Ivey was the glue and the relationship. It’s all hearsay and rumors mostly comes from, again as mentioned, disgruntled ex players. So who knows. It’s just my opinion
If wishful thinking were profitable you'd be rich already.

Reaction Score
Texas A&M where she could get the Carter treatment
Minnesota where she would be playing for one of the best point guards to ever play the game
ND nuff said
Duke and UNC are head searchers, but Kelly also looked at OU at one time so maybe she likes a bit of a challenge, over all not a bad final list.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

5th best player on a championship team seems pretty huge to me.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That's pure fantasy. Shepard didn't announce her intent to transfer until after Turner tore her ACL. There was never any chance of Westbeld, Turner, and Shepard all available for ND in the same season.

In the real world, ND was tied at half with Villanova in the second round of the 2018 tournament until ND was forced to ask Westbeld to play on a bum ankle. She was noticeably gimpy but her presence changed the game from a dogfight to a blowout.

She also led ND in scoring with 20 pts on 9-12 shooting in the Elite 8 vs. Oregon. If she doesn't step up in that spot, ND doesn't even make the FF.

To me, if you are a starter on a National Championship team then yes you are a "huge factor" for that program!

For all the talent of the 2019 squad, ND was largely better in 2018 with Westbeld.

I'm not trying to oversell it. Arike, Young, and Shepard were the three best players in whatever order you prefer but Westbeld was absolutely crucial to that National Championship team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just seems like cupboard is getting bare in South Bend. I agree 100% about Brunelle. Just hard to see her being a major player at the top end of D1. I like Peoples too, but just doesn’t feel like enough. Kapinus seemed like a #10-20 player to me, but when they play the easier circuits it’s harder to tell. Now with the injury, she seems like a risk and a drop out of top 25 (like Olsen did) seems appropriate. Westbeld only in on ND cause of sister. But she’s a role player at best. I’ve never thought she was as good as her sister and she wasn’t a huge factor for ND.
Just my opinion, but I think Muffett is an unattractive head coach to girls and losing Ivey was huge because of that.
Most of the faulty assertions in your post have already been pointed out here are some additional ones:
Kat Westbeld was a top 20 player in the 2014 class and good enough for UCONN to be interested at one point. Kat's younger sister is ranked in a similar position for the class of 2020. Sometimes siblings want to do their own thing, the youngest Mabrey turned down ND for Virginia Tech and the youngest Samuelson left the west coast. If Madelyn Westbeld has a career similar to her sister she will have achieved plenty.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Most of the faulty assertions in your post have already been pointed out here are some additional ones:
Kat Westbeld was a top 20 player in the 2014 class and good enough for UCONN to be interested at one point. Kat's younger sister is ranked in a similar position for the class of 2020. Sometimes siblings want to do their own thing, the youngest Mabrey turned down ND for Virginia Tech and the youngest Samuelson left the west coast. If Madelyn Westbeld has a career similar to her sister she will have achieved plenty.

Good points, Coco (and many others).

As you and many other Boneyarders know, I'm a huge fan of what Kat Westbeld brought to the Irish. More importantly, so did Coach McGraw, who thought her ability to be the ultimate glue player and leader was invaluable to that team. Remember, Jackie Young was a first year starter as a sophmore, Arike O. and Marina M. were juniors and Jess Shepard was a newcomer -- Kat was the captain and showed it on many occasions as @Orangutan pointed out.

As for Maddy Westbeld:
Word on the AAU circuit this summer was that Maddy was developing her inside game and looking increasingly comfortable and proficient at it. Mark Lewis, of Blue Star Media, confirmed this growth with a report from Washington, D.C.:

"Madeline Westbeld – 2020 – 6-2 – Forward – Sports City U – Reaching a new level…Depth to her game is exceptional…Combination of size, strength, refined skills and awareness…Challenges defenders inside and out…Touch and range require closing out on the catch…Physically holding her own with posts carrying much more bulk…Contains her emotions on both good and bad plays…Stays focused when challenged…Confidence only magnifies the advance in her game."

Regardless of whether she attends ND like her sister, or chooses to go elsehwere -- like Dara Mabrey -- it sounds like she's develping into a solid D1 talent.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As you and many other Boneyarders know, I'm a huge fan of what Kat Westbeld brought to the Irish.
Don't remember if I've mentioned this before but I became at fan of Kat before she got to ND. It was spring of (2013 ?) and she had agreed to join an AAU team where Kelsey Mitchell thought she was the sun, the earth, the moon and trying to control everything. At Boo Williams that year Kat was the only player who did not differ to Mitchell. Geno, Muffet, Kevin & Jeff were all there watching.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Don't remember if I've mentioned this before but I became at fan of Kat before she got to ND. It was spring of (2013 ?) and she had agreed to join an AAU team where Kelsey Mitchell thought she was the sun, the earth, the moon and trying to control everything. At Boo Williams that year Kat was the only player who did not differ to Mitchell. Geno, Muffet, Kevin & Jeff were all there watching.

And the three latter are all clamoring for Maddy's services, as you well know. In fact, I think Maddy was in Louisville this past weekend and is headed to UT in Knoxville this upcoming weekend before heading to ND Oct. 11-13, with verbal commit and --hopefully -- one Caitlin Clark.

That tidbit about her playing with Mitchell is interesting: no wonder Kat was able to get along with and play with/help lead ND alphas like Arike and Marina.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Texas A&M where she could get the Carter treatment
Minnesota where she would be playing for one of the best point guards to ever play the game
ND nuff said
Duke and UNC are head searchers, but Kelly also looked at OU at one time so maybe she likes a bit of a challenge, over all not a bad final list.

Maybe she really likes pork bbq, donuts, sweet tea, and chicken biscuits :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The ND board says Kelly is visiting this weekend. And Clark isn’t visiting at all

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The ND board says Kelly is visiting this weekend. And Clark isn’t visiting at all

Hey there: Being the person that wrote the initial post over at the Bench, please insert the words "may not be" to be accurate. That came from a pretty reliable source. However, the operative word is "may."

That said, it could explain why the ND coaching staff visited Leilani Kapinus seemingly out of nowhere and are entertaining both Alasia Hayes (who committed) and Deja Kelly, who is coming this weekend. Makes an ND fan wonder if there was enough "mutual interest" for Kapinus to take an OV to South Bend.

On the wing/forward front, Maddy Westbeld -- subject of several posts above -- is still scheduled to take the fith and final of her OVs (after Tennessee this weekend) to ND Oct. 11-13th. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I've seen this before:

Walker had previously visited Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, and Rutgers, cancelling visits to Auburn and Ohio State.

Reaction Score

Walker had previously visited Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, and Rutgers, cancelling visits to Auburn and Ohio State.

She took 3 OVs? Only 2 left??

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Any kin to Samaki Walker ?

Reaction Score
HS teammate of Jordan Horston. I know she wanted a TN offer but didn’t get one. I’ve seen TN fans through their Facebook group tag the coaches in this. Her mom sounded off ok twitter though open coaches not communicating. Will be interesting to see where she lands. Huge huge upside.

Reaction Score
HS teammate of Jordan Horston. I know she wanted a TN offer but didn’t get one. I’ve seen TN fans through their Facebook group tag the coaches in this. Her mom sounded off ok twitter though open coaches not communicating. Will be interesting to see where she lands. Huge huge upside.

She may get one considering TN has zero 2020 recruits

Reaction Score
Prediction’s for what it’s worth:
Reese: MD
Cardoso: Miss State
Hunt: SC
Van Lith: Louisville
Andrews: Baylor
Clark: Iowa State
D Johnson:NC State
Edwards: ND ? (Don’t even ask me lol)
Westbeld: ND