Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 114 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While I am sure UConn scouted her I thought any offers would only occur after visit to Storrs. Is it possible the reporter and mother misspoke? The pros in the boneyard do not miss much. No knowledge just asking.

Dammn :D:D you called her mama a lie

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While I am sure UConn scouted her I thought any offers would only occur after visit to Storrs. Is it possible the reporter and mother misspoke? The pros in the boneyard do not miss much. No knowledge just asking.
No expert here. I don't think her mother or the reporter misspoke. UCONN scouted very early on in the recruiting process. Many of us believed UCONN lost interest as did ND. Another possibility is that UCONN extended an offer late in the process after not getting Horston. We catch a lot but we don't catch everything. We didn't catch the offer to Batouly Camara when she was coming out off HS either.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
No expert here. I don't think her mother or the reporter misspoke. UCONN scouted very early on in the recruiting process. Many of us believed UCONN lost interest as did ND. Another possibility is that UCONN extended an offer late in the process after not getting Horston. We catch a lot but we don't catch everything. We didn't catch the offer to Batouly Camara when she was coming out off HS either.

Totally second Coco's take on ND and/or Jackson losing interest in each other at a very early stage (if at all....). The latest interest I can recall ND having in any of the wings/big guards in the Midwest Class of 2019 was going to a HS open house featuring Brea Beal in 2017. After that, nada... And there were a lot -- Beal, Jackson, Bell, Horston, Puisis (although she committed to FSU very early).

Luckily, the Irish have Jackie Young as the bigger off-guard for this and 2019-2020. MM has/is bringing in a lot of versatile guards (Gilbert, Peoples, Campbell) and has some tweener forwards (Patterson, Brunelle), so that's the path ND has chosen.

Reaction Score
Didn’t both ND and UConn show interest in Puisis. On the first page in this thread. She was once ranked very highly but has dropped to the 30s range I believe.

Reaction Score
I was quite surprised to see UConn on the list of declines. I did not know there was interest on UConn’s part. I also didn’t know her mother played at Michigan State.

I would like to see her at Mississippi State. Once again Mississippi State will graduate four starters, so she will immediately contend for playing time.

I'd be interested to know if UConn really did make an effort to recruit her..............perhaps Geno is starting to adopt the Charlibball philosophy after all.........

Reaction Score
There are just always going to want to be players who want to beat UConn instead
of joining to dynasty. Destiny Slocum and Evina Westbrook come to mind. Perhaps she was one of these? Also possibly the same with Sabrina Ionescu but she wouldn’t have lasted a second at UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Didn’t both ND and UConn show interest in Puisis. On the first page in this thread. She was once ranked very highly but has dropped to the 30s range I believe.
This 2019/20 UCONN recruiting thread started by @Charliebball in August of 2016 started with a tweet from Raul stating that UCONN and ND were showing interest in Sammie. There were many BYers back then who were ready to sign her up for UCONN. That was a long time ago and there are still some BY that think she was one that got away from UCONN. My take: Jordan Horston, Rickea Jackson and Haley Jones emerged as better wings than Sammie in the class. Breanna Beal, Diamond Miller, & Kierstan Bell emerged as comparable wings to Sammie in the same class. My UCONN biased hot take: FSU was a good choice for Sammie. When Haley Jones signs with UCONN most of us will never mention Sammie again.
2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really think she committed there because Vic told her she could be the next Vivians or better. She is not a player that wants to play within offenses like UConn & ND.

Reaction Score
Really think she committed there because Vic told her she could be the next Vivians or better. She is not a player that wants to play within offenses like UConn & ND.

Per her mother she turned down an offer from UCONN but I agree, she will likely be their go to player from day 1.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Per her mother she turned down an offer from UCONN but I agree, she will likely be their go to player from day 1.
IDK seems some here are saying AEH is the next MSU go to player. :D

Reaction Score
Jackson and Espinoza-Hunter as both going to be great scoring options at State.

Reaction Score

Vivians was ranked 24th coming out of high school and was big get for him at the time. There wasnt a more talented player than her on the roster. So it was expected for her to be the go to player. She was also a just a volume shooter, but he developed her into a good player.

Jackson is the highest ranked recruit he has ever had, but now he has a national contending program that recruits well, so there’s more talent on the roster. So I don’t necessarily think she will be the go to right away, but I do think she will contribute from day one because he is the best coach not named Geno or Muffet. Talk about doing more with less talent; I have nothing but respect for Vic. I also want to commend him for pulling top talent out of large states to Mississippi. McCowan came from Texas to Mississippi; great coach!

Reaction Score
I guess Vic can always promote playing time. He lost 3 starters, then 4 starters, and he will lose 4 starters again this year. That equals a lot of opportunity at a top flight program.

Reaction Score
Vivians was ranked 24th coming out of high school and was big get for him at the time. There wasnt a more talented player than her on the roster. So it was expected for her to be the go to player. She was also a just a volume shooter, but he developed her into a good player.

Jackson is the highest ranked recruit he has ever had, but now he has a national contending program that recruits well, so there’s more talent on the roster. So I don’t necessarily think she will be the go to right away, but I do think she will contribute from day one because he is the best coach not named Geno or Muffet. Talk about doing more with less talent; I have nothing but respect for Vic. I also want to commend him for pulling top talent out of large states to Mississippi. McCowan came from Texas to Mississippi; great coach!

Yeah Vivians being #24 out of high school seems like a big discrepancy for ranking services . Ended up being the 8th draft pick in the W from her draft class . NOT including the RS entries or Early declarers.

Reaction Score
The 2019, 2020 UCONN recruiting threat started by @CharlieBall in

This 2019/20 UCONN recruiting thread started by @Charliebball in August of 2016 started with a tweet from Raul stating that UCONN and ND were showing interest in Sammie. There were many BYers back then who were ready to sign her up for UCONN. That was a long time ago and there are still some BY that think she was one that got away from UCONN. My take: Jordan Horston, Rickea Jackson and Haley Jones emerged as better wings than Sammie in the class. Breanna Beal, Diamond Miller, & Kierstan Bell emerged as comparable wings to Sammie in the same class. My UCONN biased hot take: FSU was a good choice for Sammie. When Haley Jones signs with UCONN most of us will never mention Sammie again.
2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Thank you for not scooping up Puisis :p

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Yeah Vivians being #24 out of high school seems like a big discrepancy for ranking services . Ended up being the 8th draft pick in the W from her draft class . NOT including the RS entries or Early declarers.

Recruiting Rankings for Victoria Vivians
24. Collegiate Girls Basketball Report (CGBR)
40. All Star Girls Report (ASGR)
64. Prospects Nation
84. Blue Star Report

Going from #24 in HS rankings to #8 in the draft is not that big of a discrepancy. Now, there certainly was a vast array of opinions about her performance and potential as reflected in the divergent HS rankings. But just looking at a high school ranking of #24 and juxtaposing that against the WNBA draft position of #8 is not a big discrepancy.

As examples:

Kayla McBride
-- Blue Star Report #20; All Star Girls Report #22
-- 3rd pick in the 2014 WNBA Draft

Dearica Hamby
-- Blue Star Report #106; Collegiate Girls Basketball Report #187; ESPNU Hoopgurlz: #93 (this was when Hoopgurlz had the affiliation with the evaluators who eventually went with Prospects Nation around 2013/2014)
-- 6th pick in the 2015 WNBA Draft

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Jackson and Beal both have fairly similar evaluations on Hoopgurlz. Both are often coined “perimeter prospects” or “perimeter performers”. I do wonder if Beal would have an effect on Jackson’s decision given their seeming similarities. There is also LeLe Grissett who is also a wing. With her being 6’2/6’3, I could also see her playing the 4, but that position also has a lot of depth at SC with Amihere, Saxton, LaDazhia Williams, etc. Clearly I do not know as much about South Carolina’s current roster/younger players as much as others who specialize on that team, but it just seems like that 3/4 spot has a lot of depth without Jackson.

Rutgers...She, Maori, and Zipporah Broughton would form a strong core that may help Rutgers reach the upper echelon of the Big 10. She would also likely receive immediate playing time, plus the games in Michigan. This choice definitely makes sense.

Mississippi State... She would likely compete with Chloe Bibby and Xaria Wiggins at the 3 and Jessika Carter at the 4. She could make an early impact here as she would easily be the star player in the 2019 class. This choice also makes sense IMO

Well, RJ chose Mississippi State. As this ESPNw article indicates, MSU Coach Vic Schaefer had a big influence on the decision. But it looks like Coach C. Viv and Rutgers also had a strong shot.
Mississippi State Bulldogs women's basketball lands No. 9 recruit Rickea Jackson

Good luck to all concerned.....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Going from #24 in HS rankings to #8 in the draft is not that big of a discrepancy. Now, there certainly was a vast array of opinions about her performance and potential as reflected in the divergent HS rankings. But just looking at a high school ranking of #24 and juxtaposing that against the WNBA draft position of #8 is not a big discrepancy.

As examples:
t

I wonder what the HS recruiting rating of Cheyenne Parker was. Probably even lower than Hamby..... heck... she played HS ball about 20 minutes from where I live and I'd never heard of her until she was a standout at HPU. She ended up being the #5 pick in the 2015 draft.

Reaction Score
I wonder what the HS recruiting rating of Cheyenne Parker was. Probably even lower than Hamby..... heck... she played HS ball about 20 minutes from where I live and I'd never heard of her until she was a standout at HPU. She ended up being the #5 pick in the 2015 draft.
Rickea Jackson committed to Mississippi State just now.

Congrats to State. Should continue to be a force in the SEC.

I don’t mind that but rather you recruited different players. Wanted Jackson. The Vivians comparison makes some sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom