Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 96 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Raoul
WBB: Anyssa Jones, 5-10 SG, Westerville South HS (OH), has announced her commitment to Ohio State; first 2020 commit for the Buckeyes

===================
Not in top 60 of PN or ESPN

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
[B]Raoul[/B]‏ @[B]Raoul_000[/B] 2m2 minutes ago
WBB: Anyssa Jones, 5-10 SG, Westerville South HS (OH), has announced her commitment to Ohio State; first 2020 commit for the Buckeyes
I know McGuff's coaching is often criticized on this board but he has done a nice job recruiting and rebuilding his roster and after the exodus from this past season.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Raoul

===================
Not in top 60 of PN or ESPN

I’ve seen her play in person a few times as a sophomore. She plays for Sports City U and they didn’t play her as much this summer (her first with that team) her Hs teammate Gabby Hutcherson plays for SCU too as well as Sam Puisis and Rickea Jackson. Possibly Zia Cooke too. So that’s probably why she isn’t ranked. When I watched her play last season she was a tough player and focused on defense. She can work on her outside shot a bit but she is a work horse.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Amihere visited ND this past weekend? I thought she was done with visits and down to Lou, KY and SC. However, I thought I saw somewhere on here that she was scheduled with ND this past weekend. Anyone?

Reaction Score
Aijha Blackwell (6-0 G #8HG) will be narrowing her list from 6 to 3 tomorrow. I’d expect to see Mizzou and two from the trio of Louisville, Kansas, and Mississippi State.

Reaction Score
673.gif
I like it

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Amihere visited ND this past weekend? I thought she was done with visits and down to Lou, KY and SC. However, I thought I saw somewhere on here that she was scheduled with ND this past weekend. Anyone?

she was scheduled to be there along with Haley Jones............as of yesterday nobody on the ND board had seen them and no pics so far but I assume she was there..........

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Hey Charlie:

Did you see Azana Baines, the lefty 6'1" slashing guard from Gloucester Catholic (#65 HG) has joined 6'0" guard Jaida Patrick from Saddle River Day (#58) in committing to Duke for the Class of 2019. Looks like Coach P and/or someone on her staff has been spending time in the Garden State.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
she was scheduled to be there along with Haley Jones..as of yesterday nobody on the ND board had seen them and no pics so far but I assume she was there.....

At this point, all quiet on that front in terms of both Amihere and Jones. The Black Queen has not posted about her previous visits, either, so that's not out of the norm.

Have reached out to two campus-goers for more possible information..

Reaction Score
At this point, all quiet on that front in terms of both Amihere and Jones. The Black Queen has not posted about her previous visits, either, so that's not out of the norm.

Have reached out to two campus-goers for more possible information..

Amihere only posts about Canadian team and players so wouldn't expect anything from her..........waiting for that fabulous Jones in the ND uniform shot and some candid football game shots although come to think of it she may want to steer clear of those based on the outcome...............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Woa! Forget about Amihere for a second. If Haley Jones did not show up at ND (as scheduled) this past weekend that is major bad news for ND! This would not have been a stealth visit + ND has that thing about putting on the uniform and taking pictures.

Reaction Score
Woa! Forget about Amihere for a second. If Haley Jones did not show up at ND (as scheduled) this past weekend that is major bad news for ND! This would not have been a stealth visit + ND has that thing about putting on the uniform and taking pictures.

her coach tweeted that she was on her way to South Bend so I assume she was there...........maybe she just didn't like the way she looked in green and gold...........;)

Reaction Score
It's also possible that she didn't like the "hard sell" tactics with MM and the band. Kind of reminds me of Tenn and Ann Strother. It's not like she didn't know who won the title. There is a rumor around that the Irish community can't see past their football team so I can understand MM wanting to show her that the school knows they also have a women's basketball team.

Reaction Score
It's also possible that she didn't like the "hard sell" tactics with MM and the band. Kind of reminds me of Tenn and Ann Strother. It's not like she didn't know who won the title. There is a rumor around that the Irish community can't see past their football team so I can understand MM wanting to show her that the school knows they also have a women's basketball team.

I kind of doubt there were any issues just because there aren't any pics out yet..........I'm pretty sure Ms Jones knew what she was in for and ND's football game recruiting technique has proven to be a pretty successful strategy recently................

Reaction Score
I kind of doubt there were any issues just because there aren't any pics out yet.....I'm pretty sure Ms Jones knew what she was in for and ND's football game recruiting technique has proven to be a pretty successful strategy recently......

Ha Ha. I'd wager that if you were an Irish fan you'd be sweating bullets over her non-posting about her visit. Right?

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Alydar:
"There is a rumor around that the Irish community can't see past their football team..."

Is this the rumor that circulated pre-1960 when the Irish maybe had five or fix total (all men's) sports? :rolleyes:

Sure, ND football is part of the school's DNA for a very long time and very many parts of the Irish community -- from students and alumni to the South Bend community and more widespread "subway alumni" -- follow it's triumphs and travails assiduously.

However, many in the Irish community follow their basketball:
- the women's Irish B-ball attendance averaged 7,637 per game, 6th in D1, wedged between Louisville (5th) and Mississippi State (7th), two other NCAA semifinalists (S. Carolina and UConn were numbers 1 and 2);
- Purcell Pavilion seats 9,149 so the average Irish attendance filled 83 percent of the arena;
- Would imagine that number would rise after winning the national championship; in part, because...
- Muffet McGraw, her staff and team do an excellent job of interacting with the community. For most of the summer, they brought the National Championship trophy to a place in the "Michiana" community so fans and friends could come and see/touch/have a picture taken with MM and the trophy. That included some visits to Chicago, where they were introduced during a Cubs game and led the 7th inning singing of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."
- An informal polling of recent graduates will invariably show that MM and Mike Brey -- the two Irish hoops coaches -- are by far the most popular and respected coaches on campus for how they go about their business and their interaction and availability to just about anyone. Both get their teams involved heavily in the Irish communities....former Irish player Bonzi Colson was perhaps the most respected player on ND's campus last year.

As for the band routine showing Arike hitting the winning shot, well...one person's "hard sell" is another's "celebration" and still another's "smart move." The Marching Band of the Irish, under leader Ken Dye, has nearly 400 members and can do some pretty intricate routines. If they can do one celebrating that moment in front of 80,000 fans, a national TV audience and two top prospects, why not? BTW, there were numerous other songs and routines performed.

Lastly, our current players go to the football games, like most students. Great way for them to fit into the overall student body.

I don't usually have to "show my Irish" on the board, but felt compelled to write that ND and MM have no need to show that basketball is not known/ignored in South Bend.

Back to my regularly scheduled tempered remarks......;)

Reaction Score
Alydar:
"There is a rumor around that the Irish community can't see past their football team..."

Is this the rumor that circulated pre-1960 when the Irish maybe had five or fix total (all men's) sports? :rolleyes:

Sure, ND football is part of the school's DNA for a very long time and very many parts of the Irish community -- from students and alumni to the South Bend community and more widespread "subway alumni" -- follow it's triumphs and travails assiduously.

However, many in the Irish community follow their basketball:
- the women's Irish B-ball attendance averaged 7,637 per game, 6th in D1, wedged between Louisville (5th) and Mississippi State (7th), two other NCAA semifinalists (S. Carolina and UConn were numbers 1 and 2);
- Purcell Pavilion seats 9,149 so the average Irish attendance filled 83 percent of the arena;
- Would imagine that number would rise after winning the national championship; in part, because...
- Muffet McGraw, her staff and team do an excellent job of interacting with the community. For most of the summer, they brought the National Championship trophy to a place in the "Michiana" community so fans and friends could come and see/touch/have a picture taken with MM and the trophy. That included some visits to Chicago, where they were introduced during a Cubs game and led the 7th inning singing of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."
- An informal polling of recent graduates will invariably show that MM and Mike Brey -- the two Irish hoops coaches -- are by far the most popular and respected coaches on campus for how they go about their business and their interaction and availability to just about anyone. Both get their teams involved heavily in the Irish communities....former Irish player Bonzi Colson was perhaps the most respected player on ND's campus last year.

As for the band routine showing Arike hitting the winning shot, well...one person's "hard sell" is another's "celebration" and still another's "smart move." The Marching Band of the Irish, under leader Ken Dye, has nearly 400 members and can do some pretty intricate routines. If they can do one celebrating that moment in front of 80,000 fans, a national TV audience and two top prospects, why not? BTW, there were numerous other songs and routines performed.

Lastly, our current players go to the football games, like most students. Great way for them to fit into the overall student body.

I don't usually have to "show my Irish" on the board, but felt compelled to write that ND and MM have no need to show that basketball is not known/ignored in South Bend.

Back to my regularly scheduled tempered remarks.;)

Throw some nuts on the ground and the squirrels will show up. :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ha Ha. I'd wager that if you were an Irish fan you's be sweating bullets over her non-posting about her visit. Right?
Yup, just like if no pictures appeared of Jordan's visit to UCONN last weekend this UCONN fan would be sweating bullets.

Reaction Score
Ha Ha. I'd wager that if you were an Irish fan you'd be sweating bullets over her non-posting about her visit. Right?

some may but ultimately it's unlikely to have an impact on her final decision although I'd be thrilled if ND was out of the running..........

Reaction Score
I am not trying to offend with my posts. It's just that I find all this hand-wringing over recruits to be overdone. Sure, UConn has lost some targets but far fewer than any other program. And sure, UConn has had some thin classes but never 2 in a row or 2 out of 4. As for any recruit being a "must get", ... well .... :rolleyes:. In a class as deep as 2019 (and 2020) there is simply too many elite players to label any a must get target.

I like to speculate as much as anyone but I have found that in the end it works out. I let Geno worry and stick to the philosophy I learned as a child:

Reaction Score

The football team is 5-0 and ranked in the top 10. I doubt any Irish fan is sweating about a visit from a high school basketball player. We are sweating about Alex Bars’ injured knee.

Reaction Score
There is a rumor around that the Irish community can't see past their football team so I can understand MM wanting to show her that the school knows they also have a women's basketball team.

Most Irish fans have no problem seeing past the football team to see their basketball teams. But that doesn’t usually happen until the second semester is underway.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Throw some nuts on the ground and the squirrels will show up. :)

Actually, I shocked you didn't bring up our world famous red squirrels, which will come after any food you might have ;) :D

Reaction Score
are you saying that white, beige and brown squirrels are more polite when it comes to their food intake?...............better be careful Dillon you're treading on dangerous ground...............:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom