Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 72 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Are they up to 8 scholarship players now?

I believe it'll put them at 9 total players.

Makayla Waterman, Sierra Calhoun – Redshirt Seniors
Jensen Caretti – Junior
Karlie Cronin – Walk-on Junior (I think was gifted a scholarship this past season?)
Savitha Jayaraman – Walk-on Sophomore (Same as Cronin)
Janai Crooms, Aaliyah Patty, Dorka Juhasz – Freshmen
Najah Queenland – GS

So, I think in terms of skill level scholarship players, they will have 7.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
While you are all anxiously awaiting the decision of a certain Australian, apparently a different Australian post player recently committed to UW. They desperately need some size.

Keil Moore (@KeilMoorePSB) | Twitter

edited--scroll down a little bit on that link for the relevant part

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Maryland now has a 2019 class of Ashley Owusu, Diamond Miller, Zoe Young, and Faith Masonius.

Here's a follow-up article from the Baltimore Sun.
Maryland women land top-20 recruit Diamond Miller, adding to loaded 2019 class

Based on the article in Miller's hometown paper, it seems that the proximity to home played a factor. Miller's dad, a Villanova grad, was/is very involved in his daughter's hoops career and it's a heck of a lot easier tooling down I-95 to games than it is dealing with connections to South Bend.

I'd be interested in Charlie's take on this, but if I'm Faith Masonius, I'm not jumping for joy right now when I look at the lineup of 2019 commits. Faith M projects as more of a small forward to me when she gets to college, and Miller is very much of a wing. But Miller is a much more dynamic presence, based on the games I've seen. If they're both slotted for the "3," Miller would be a choice for a fluid, up and down offense.

In any case, Freese is once again loading up a recruiting class, which is one thing she and former assistant coach Jeff Walz very much have in common (besides the red school colors). :rolleyes: ;)

Reaction Score

Based on the article in Miller's hometown paper, it seems that the proximity to home played a factor. Miller's dad, a Villanova grad, was/is very involved in his daughter's hoops career and it's a heck of a lot easier tooling down I-95 to games than it is dealing with connections to South Bend.

I'd be interested in Charlie's take on this, but if I'm Faith Masonius, I'm not jumping for joy right now when I look at the lineup of 2019 commits. Faith M projects as more of a small forward to me when she gets to college, and Miller is very much of a wing. But Miller is a much more dynamic presence, based on the games I've seen. If they're both slotted for the "3," Miller would be a choice for a fluid, up and down offense.

In any case, Freese is once again loading up a recruiting class, which is one thing she and former assistant coach Jeff Walz very much have in common (besides the red school colors). :rolleyes: ;)

For whatever reason UConn didn't really recruit Miller that strongly and in Faith's case not at all..................I don't like other programs taking recruits from UConn's geographic area of dominance but it appears UConn simply wasn't interested in these players.................Miller is capable of playing multiple positions and is really athletic while Masonius is a stereotypical small forward................Owusu may be the key to the class as she can dominate from the guard position................of course Frese now has to keep all her kids from transferring as some have done recently at Maryland.......

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I have seen this kid play. She reminded me of Alyssa Thomas (Maryland).

That’s a great comparison. I’m a huge Thomas fan but I think Bell is a far superior outside shooter.

The Bell comparisons to LeBron James are equally great as well.. as far as playing style. Bell is about where James was coming out of high school.. not a prolific outside scorer, but can get streaky and lay threes on you in a heartbeat.. very physical and can post you up or take you off the dribble. I think her best asset is how she can take you off the dribble at her size, makes her difficult to defend. If she goes to a program with a strong S&C program, like SC, she’ll get in really good shape without losing that physical edge.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Just watched Manasquan and Mabry and Masonius win their championship game today. First time seeing any of them. Based on comments on this board last year I thought Masonius was a guard but she looked to be the size of a wing or forward. Mabry (?) was impressive on offense but so was another player whose name started with the letter M but her ball handling was suspect. I wonder how they would do against an elite team that plays good defense.

Reaction Score
Just watched Manasquan and Mabry and Masonius win their championship game today. First time seeing any of them. Based on comments on this board last year I thought Masonius was a guard but she looked to be the size of a wing or forward. Mabry (?) was impressive on offense but so was another player whose name started with the letter M but her ball handling was suspect. I wonder how they would do against an elite team that plays good defense.

Masonius is a six footer and will play wing or forward at Maryland............she is about as fundamentally sound as you can get and will be a contributor to the team in numerous ways...............the other blond girl beginning with M would be Lola Mullaney..................she has a whole bunch of big time DI offers even though this is her first year as a starter.................Manasquan has played a bunch of teams that play really good defense in the Shore Conference including St Rose and St John Vianney...........

Reaction Score

looks like my daughter's team may be playing Ms Miller and Franklin next in the TOC later this week............

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Masonius is a six footer and will play wing or forward at Maryland..she is about as fundamentally sound as you can get and will be a contributor to the team in numerous ways.....the other blond girl beginning with M would be Lola Mullaney...she has a whole bunch of big time DI offers even though this is her first year as a starter.......Manasquan has played a bunch of teams that play really good defense in the Shore Conference including St Rose and St John Vianney......
Thank you. Mullaney looked good, really good. Masonius and the rest of the team looked fundamentally sound. However, the pressure put on by the opposition's guards seemed to bother Mabry. I hope Manasquan is in the national tournament that is televised on ESPN later this year.

Reaction Score
Frese can certainly recruit, gotta give her that.

Coach Frese exudes a certain edginess that can be off-putting to some but having interacted with her in person off the court I have found her to be unfailingly nice, generous with her time and support of the community - even non Terps, and a straight-shooter. I also greatly respect her explicit recognition that the key takeaway for UCONN opponents is that they need to work harder in every phase on/off-court to improve their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom