Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
According to ESPN she's a click down talent wise from Nelson-Ododa and Charli Collier or even Olivia Owens for that matter but you never know who's the best fit till you get them on the court......

Charlie: Fit is the operative word.

You and I have talked about Owens and Cosgrove numerous times over the year.
They have completely different games and apparently Muffet -- who scouted both this winter -- came to the conclusion of which player fit in best with the ND system.
No, she's not Nelson-Ododa or Collier, but while Owens is more of a prototypical post, Cosgrove is technically sound with left- and right-handed moves in the lane (love the jump hook) and a very good jumper out to the arc. Father being a former D1 player (Hofstra, I believe) helps. And she's gotten good experience and toughening up playing with the Philly Belles. Given she's from Eastern Long Island, that shows some determination...not an easy drive to and from.

We'll see more when she gets on the court, but this is the kind of the pick-up that can grow nicely within the correct system.

Reaction Score

They have completely different games and apparently Muffet -- who scouted both this winter -- came to the conclusion of which player fit in best with the ND system.
No, she's not Nelson-Ododa or Collier, but while Owens is more of a prototypical post, Cosgrove is technically sound with left- and right-handed moves in the lane (love the jump hook) and a very good jumper out to the arc. Father being a former D1 player (Hofstra, I believe) helps. And she's gotten good experience and toughening up playing with the Philly Belles. Given she's from Eastern Long Island, that shows some determination...not an easy drive to and from.

We'll see more when she gets on the court, but this is the kind of the pick-up that can grow nicely within the correct system.

She's a top 50 player so clearly she's got a lot of talent.......I always feel a bit sad when local players leave the area.........I'm sure Syracuse or Rutgers would love to have her but I certainly can't blame her for going to a big time program like ND.............

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The North Carolina AP All-State team was announced earlier this week, and the State Player of the Year was announced today.

Mikalya Boykin (Duke) Janelle Bailey (UNC) and Elissa Cunane a 6'6 Junior Center who is a 2018 NC State commit were unanimous choices. Grissett who is going to South Carolina made the second team.

Boykin was named the Player of the Year....... got 12 out of the 14 votes..... Bailey got 1, and Cunane got 1.

Bailey was the only player from NC to make the McDonald's All-American team..... yet Boykin was the Gatorade and AP State player of the year.

Reaction Score
NaLyssa Smith 6'3" Guard/ Forward from San Antonio, TX Hoopgurlz #4 player overall and # 1 Forward in the class is on a visit to Columbia this weekend. Her versatility and Athleticism makes her undeniably the best player in the class. And she'll be right on time for the big Championship parade tomorrow :D

Dillon77

Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
NaLyssa Smith 6'3" Guard/ Forward from San Antonio, TX Hoopgurlz #4 player overall and # 1 Forward in the class is on a visit to Columbia this weekend. Her versatility and Athleticism makes her undeniably the best player in the class. And she'll be right on time for the big Championship parade tomorrow :D
One of the best players in the class!

Reaction Score

Per Raul: A bit more info on Cosgrove's choice of ND

Q&A: Notre Dame commit Danielle Cosgrove

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Per Raul: A bit more info on Cosgrove's choice of ND

Q&A: Notre Dame commit Danielle Cosgrove

Seems her "older cousin Frankie" got her hooked on the Irish at an early stage. My "Frankie" was my father's best friend and my elementary school principal, Dan Hanrahan, an ND alum (big surprise there, huh?).

Gives huge props to her Philly Belle coaches. That's the Irish's second Belle in as many years, along with Mikayla Vaughn.
Wonder where another LI-based Philly Belle, Celeste Taylor, will be headed. She's fast and fluid!

Reaction Score

Just on and off Long Island is an adventure--and frustration.
The drive to Philly is no picnic---95 is miserable at times--then gets worse---Made weekend rides to and from DC
that route-- . She is a very very dedicated player with a more than dedicated family---hope she gets all she has striven for..

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Just on and off Long Island is an adventure--and frustration.
The drive to Philly is no picnic---95 is miserable at times--then gets worse---Made weekend rides to and from DC
that route-- . She is a very very dedicated player with a more than dedicated family---hope she gets all she has striven for..

As a northern Jersey guy who brought his daughters to soccer and lacrosse tournaments up and down the Eastern seaboard, I can second that experience/emotion. And throw in the bridges getting on/off Long Island....whew! Danielle and Celeste Taylor, who is also with the Belles, should be commended and their parents offered free refreshing adult beverages for life. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
As a northern Jersey guy who brought his daughters to soccer and lacrosse tournaments up and down the Eastern seaboard, I can second that experience/emotion. And throw in the bridges getting on/off Long Island....whew! Danielle and Celeste Taylor, who is also with the Belles, should be commended and their parents offered free refreshing adult beverages for life. :rolleyes:
My wife's relatives are from Long Gulyland via Queens Brooklyn--mid was and Montauk --(don't blame me I am now spelling challenge) Verazono bridge and occasionally the Throgs Neck bridge ---4 and 5 lanes of a parking lot --lower island an LIE (and it is a lie). My GPS had me in trouble often---I avoid that trip when I can.

Reaction Score
Raoul‏ @Raoul_000
Maryland WBB announces signing of Channise Lewis, 5-8 PG out of FL; Terps 2017-18 roster up to 11 (at least for now) http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=211570503 …

C-LxWcBVoAAUAWM.jpg

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Kathyrn Westbeld's younger sister (Class of 2020) starting to generate some buzz:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
  1. quick feet, super fast...can't be related to Kathryn Westbeld.:D

I accept the joke in good humor but with a slight protestation...

Kathryn is a better athlete than anyone gives her credit for. I have a theory why everyone says she is slow but it would get this thread sent to the cesspool...maybe you can guess what it is from that hint.

Reaction Score
I accept the joke in good humor but with a slight protestation...

Kathryn is a better athlete than anyone gives her credit for. I have a theory why everyone says she is slow but it would get this thread sent to the cesspool...maybe you can guess what it is from that hint.

Nahhh........Nelson is slower............

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Per Raul:
DeCosta discusses exactly what she likes about each of her finalists:

Top recruit DeCosta picks new finalists
Yup ... it is classic to my way of thinking - and a reason you get so many transfers. According to this story, her college choice is all about:
1. How much love she is getting from the coaching staff during recruiting - hopefully at least one text message a day about anything except basketball.
2. Where her friends are going or are already playing.
3. Location and how it connects to family history.
4. How much love her parents feel from the coaches.

And not a word about:
1. Coaching style and playing style of her finalists
2. Current roster
3. Development of players at the program, and specifically similar players to her.

I am not ripping DeCosta because I really know nothing about her and she didn't write this piece so maybe that second list is a very important part of her process and it just got cut or wasn't discussed with this writer. But I am making a comment about how recruits in general seem ignorant about things that will be critical to their on court development at their 'favorite' schools. Having a working relationship with coaches, and having her parents respect them is obviously important, but that has nothing to do with 140 character texts and the frequency with which they come in. Feeling comfortable with the current team is also important, but most of them are going to be strangers and become new friends.

This article as written highlights everything that a number of really good 'advice to recruits and their families' articles and blogs have pointed out as the worst reasons to select your college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom