Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 57 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Tenn will be loaded with 1's, 2's, & 3's next year and as of now very little size and strength. Tennessee used to be noted for beating up opponents in the paint with waves of height and muscle euphemistically referred to as "rebounding and defense". I'm actually looking forward to Tennessee as a finesse style team.
You had me right up to the last sentence...”as a finesse style team” as led by a creatively challenged offense minded head coach? So how can you be looking forward to that? I am half-heartedly not trying to be snarky. In my 6 years of watching her lead that program, she is completely baffled by coordinating a cohesive offensive plan. Part of me cringes that all we will see is Dribble, dribble, dribble oops the shot clock is at 3, better heave up a shot...while I am actually rooting for Russell and Nared for their heart and commitment to the program, I saddingly see it ending very badly.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
You had me right up to the last sentence...”as a finesse style team” as led by a creatively challenged offense minded head coach? So how can you be looking forward to that? I am half-heartedly not trying to be snarky. In my 6 years of watching her lead that program, she is completely baffled by coordinating a cohesive offensive plan. Part of me cringes that all we will see is Dribble, dribble, dribble oops the shot clock is at 3, better heave up a shot...while I am actually rooting for Russell and Nared for their heart and commitment to the program, I saddingly see it ending very badly.
I think Russell will be a AA.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Not really, we expect nothing better than the E8.
ETT you know I usually agree with these observations, however as a member of the BU forum myself, the 2 comments you’ve made that the strong BU faithful will expect Kim to have a strong OOC is not true nor is the expectation of E8. In the former, the whole board was over the top protective of this past seasons pathetic OOC and in the latter it was absolutely distraught over not making it to Dallas. They were not calling for Kim to shape up or ship out but they are definitely frustrated at the lack of FFs in recent years given the talent she has brought in. So even losing Beatrice, they still expect a FF this year and Kalani a season 1st team with strong consideration for POY.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
ESPN Hoopgurlz #52 Post Semaj Smith to Arizona.

Adía Barnes is slowly getting recruiting rolling for the Wildcats. I expect her to be in the upper echelon of PAC-12 soon.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Adía Barnes is slowly getting recruiting rolling for the Wildcats. I expect her to be in the upper echelon of PAC-12 soon.

Don't forget they'll have UW transfer Aarion McDonald available to play in '18-'19 after redshirting this year, with 3 years of eligibility left. She could be huge for them, flashed plenty of potential during her Fr. season.

As a side note, I had no idea Arizona's coaching staff had so many ties to UW. Barnes, Sunny Smallwood and Morgan Valley were all assistant coaches at one time or another there and grad student manager Alexus Atchley played at UW. Barnes, Valley and Atchley were all in Seattle at the same time, Smallwood was there quite a few years earlier.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
As a side note, I had no idea Arizona's coaching staff had so many ties to UW. Barnes, Sunny Smallwood and Morgan Valley were all assistant coaches at one time or another there and grad student manager Alexus Atchley played at UW. Barnes, Valley and Atchley were all in Seattle at the same time, Smallwood was there quite a few years earlier.

This is a great article about Barnes's recruiting success that mentions Morgan Valley and also quotes Sue Bird about her former Storm teammate:
Adia Barnes' recruiting prowess positions Arizona Wildcats for Pac-12 breakthrough

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if she makes First Team All-SEC.
I think the summer at USA basketball helped her. Also Holly said she is stronger and more physical.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think the summer at USA basketball helped her. Also Holly said she is stronger and more physical.
She did look good at USA basketball but Holly wasn't in the gym with her, remember.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
With Egbo committing to Baylor, that makes 5. Texas has 4. Texas sure does know how to keep it's talent. And what are Mulkey & Aston telling them that Gary Blair, the better of the 3, isn't telling them. Or it a desire to compete in the Big 12 rather than the SEC. Idk. What I do know is that the Baylor vs Texas rivalry is fun to watch. I'm excited to see the post play specifically in these two games of the Big 12 play Kalani Brown (best back to basket post in the country), Dekeiya Cohen (can't wait see to her get playing time), Lauren Cox (sophomore jump?) vs Rellah Boothe (trash talker), Jatarie White (now eligible), Joyner (can't play 1st half season, will be amped to play.)

"It's not a new sheriff in town yet!" -Kim Mulkey after the Baylor win last year (lol) -- I can't wait for the season to start!

Egbo looks like a good player even if she’s a work in progress offensively. She’ll give them good depth and balance even if she isn’t a big scorer. Baylor appears to be as loaded as ever in the next 2-3 years, especially if Cox improves and their recruits are as good as advertised.

I’m still not convinced that programs like Texas and Baylor can compete with Connecticut down the road regardless of the Huskies land ONO or Williams...UCONN has better players at top positions even if their classes are small or don’t appear to be ten deep with top 10-20 kids. They seem to pluck 1-2 top 5 kids each year which gives them a roster with top tier talent at every position and not as much competition for playing time.

I know UCONN fans are nervous about post depth, but right now they have 2 more years with KLS and Collier (and possibly Stevens) and Megan Walker will get a lot more PT as a sophomore. Not to mention Dangerfield and the rest of the current freshmen should improve. Next year the projected starts will be: Stevens, Collier, Walker, KLS, and Dangerfield. 2 1st team AAs, two top 3 recruits and another AA transfer. If UCONN lands Williams and Brunelle, that’ll be 4 number 1 recruits in the last 5 years (plus Dangerfield/Collier/Stevens) even without an individually loaded class.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Egbo looks like a good player even if she’s a work in progress offensively. She’ll give them good depth and balance even if she isn’t a big scorer. Baylor appears to be as loaded as ever in the next 2-3 years, especially if Cox improves and their recruits are as good as advertised.

I’m still not convinced that programs like Texas and Baylor can compete with Connecticut down the road regardless of the Huskies land ONO or Williams...UCONN has better players at top positions even if their classes are small or don’t appear to be ten deep with top 10-20 kids. They seem to pluck 1-2 top 5 kids each year which gives them a roster with top tier talent at every position and not as much competition for playing time.

I know UCONN fans are nervous about post depth, but right now they have 2 more years with KLS and Collier (and possibly Stevens) and Megan Walker will get a lot more PT as a sophomore. Not to mention Dangerfield and the rest of the current freshmen should improve. Next year the projected starts will be: Stevens, Collier, Walker, KLS, and Dangerfield. 2 1st team AAs, two top 3 recruits and another AA transfer. If UCONN lands Williams and Brunelle, that’ll be 4 number 1 recruits in the last 5 years (plus Dangerfield/Collier/Stevens) even without an individually loaded class.

That's where the separation lies. UConn does an excellent job at cherry picking... they identify who the elite players are at each position in each class and get them looking towards Storrs first. UConn doesn't have to have a "Fab Five" class of 5 top 30 players.. they just go out there, get the best player overall and add her to a roster that usually features other best overall players.

Reaction Score
That's where the separation lies. UConn does an excellent job at cherry picking... they identify who the elite players are at each position in each class and get them looking towards Storrs first. UConn doesn't have to have a "Fab Five" class of 5 top 30 players.. they just go out there, get the best player overall and add her to a roster that usually features other best overall players.
Well, now that the secret is out, I guess everybody can start doing this.... ?

Reaction Score
RI's Janai Crooms to Ohio St

Dang, Geno misses out on a chance to add 1 of the final 2 East Coast states to his recruiting collection! (Not that UConn was recruiting her.)

Geno has had no players from RI or ME, but every other state down the Atlantic.

Also no recruits from (doing this off top of my head so not 100% sure) --
South: AL, MS, KY, LA, AR
Great Lakes: MI, WI
Plains: MN, ND, SD, NE, KS
West: HI, WA, UT, WY, MT, ID

30 states + DC covered

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Geno can keep his hands off those states! They don't produce much high D1 level talent on a consistent basis. He can cherry pick a few top players from California and leave the rest of the west alone.

Reaction Score
RI's Janai Crooms to Ohio St

Dang, Geno misses out on a chance to add 1 of the final 2 East Coast states to his recruiting collection! (Not that UConn was recruiting her.)

Geno has had no players from RI or ME, but every other state down the Atlantic.

Also no recruits from (doing this off top of my head so not 100% sure) --
South: AL, MS, KY, LA, AR
Great Lakes: MI, WI
Plains: MN, ND, SD, NE, KS

30 states + DC covered

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

She attends St. Andrew’s School Prep in Barrington, Rhode Island, same school as pre-season pick for ACC Player of the Year, Bonzie Colson, of ND's Mens Team. Bonzie was two-time Rhode Island Gatorade Player of the Year (2013 and 2014) while serving as captain of his team.

Some folks at McGraw's Bench thought there was a glimmer of interest from/in Crooms and the Irish early on, but it ebbed out. So now she's playing for a former ND assistant Kevin McGuff and walks into a good situation (for her) with Ms. Mitchell graduating after this spring. We'll see if Kevin remembers to do more with Miss Crooms than merely hand her the ball. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom