Non-UConn Recruiting Information | Page 108 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn Recruiting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My gut is MM is still using 12 as the starting (and preferably ending) number for rosters. This year she was actually at 13 because she kept two of the walk-on's from last year. And what happens, one of the walk-ons -- Katilin Cole -- has an ACL injury! (At this point, ND has a projected 10- player team in Fall 2019 (if Cole comes back) and that includes verbal commits Brunelle and Peoples).

...and then you factor in the transfer aspect. Geesh.

I guess it comes down to how many players you have that can actually play at a high level and if you have help at every position...............if you are carrying ten players and the second five can really contribute that's a heck of a lot better then carrying twelve of whom only eight can contribute..........I certainly don't have to tell you about the effect injuries can have on a team and even though ND turned it into a miraculous season, I bet there were plenty of times you wished ND had one or two more useful bodies to call upon last year.........

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I guess it comes down to how many players you have that can actually play at a high level and if you have help at every position.....if you are carrying ten players and the second five can really contribute that's a heck of a lot better then carrying twelve of whom only eight can contribute.....I certainly don't have to tell you about the effect injuries can have on a team and even though ND turned it into a miraculous season, I bet there were plenty of times you wished ND had one or two more useful bodies to call upon last year....
Well, Dillon was counting Cole (who is a walk-on) among those 10, so there are at most 9 that would be expected to contribute in competitive games. And the balance by eligibility is pretty bad in Fall 2019:

1 Senior (Young)
1 Junior (Patterson)
5 Sophomores (Vaughn, Nixon, Gilbert, Prohaska, Cosgrove)
2 Freshmen (Peoples, Brunelle)

Sure could use Boston and Jones in South Bend.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, Dillon was counting Cole (who is a walk-on) among those 10, so there are at most 9 that would be expected to contribute in competitive games. And the balance by eligibility is pretty bad in Fall 2019:

1 Senior (Young)
1 Junior (Patterson)
5 Sophomores (Vaughn, Nixon, Gilbert, Prohaska, Cosgrove)
2 Freshmen (Peoples, Brunelle)
Sure could use Boston and Jones in South Bend.
But... But.. would Jones and Boston create more of an imbalance for ND? :cool:

Reaction Score
I guess it comes down to how many players you have that can actually play at a high level and if you have help at every position.....if you are carrying ten players and the second five can really contribute that's a heck of a lot better then carrying twelve of whom only eight can contribute.....I certainly don't have to tell you about the effect injuries can have on a team and even though ND turned it into a miraculous season, I bet there were plenty of times you wished ND had one or two more useful bodies to call upon last year....
Im curious, why do we keep calling or acting like last year was a miracle year for ND? Just because the media keeps saying it that doesn't make it true. The only person of consideration they "lost" was Lili Thompson. Briana Turner did not touch the court at all and the other 2, well, role players during practice, blowouts and less talented teams. Look at it another way, if they did it without Jessica Shepard because she had to wait a year due to transfer but still had Turner, would we still be calling it a miracle? The miracle, AND MAKE NO MISTAKE I LOVE THE HUSKIES, was Geno's unwillingness to start Z or have her play more to keep Crystal on the floor. Not to mention not running a play for Z at the end of regulation when her jumper was on that game and she's the tallest player on the court. Notre Dame won, they had the talent and skill to do so, period.

Reaction Score
Im curious, why do we keep calling or acting like last year was a miracle year for ND? Just because the media keeps saying it that doesn't make it true. The only person of consideration they "lost" was Lili Thompson. Briana Turner did not touch the court at all and the other 2, well, role players during practice, blowouts and less talented teams. Look at it another way, if they did it without Jessica Shepard because she had to wait a year due to transfer but still had Turner, would we still be calling it a miracle? The miracle, AND MAKE NO MISTAKE I LOVE THE HUSKIES, was Geno's unwillingness to start Z or have her play more to keep Crystal on the floor. Not to mention not running a play for Z at the end of regulation when her jumper was on that game and she's the tallest player on the court. Notre Dame won, they had the talent and skill to do so, period.

I think they lost more role players then just LT but I'll let the ND guys answer that question...............no matter when her injury occurred, not having Brianna Turner on the floor for all of last season would be similar to UConn playing this season without............ well UConn doesn't really have a traditional low post so let's say Napheesa Collier.................wouldn't UConn's chances to win a championship be somewhat dimmed without NC alone?

Here's the info:
Notre Dame lost four players to torn ACLs last season. It started with All-American forward Brianna Turner, who injured her knee in last year’s NCAA tournament. Then, it was senior guard Mychael Johnson who tore her ACL in practice in October. Freshman center Mikayla Vaughn tore her ACL in practice a month later. Guard Lili Thompson’s season then ended in January when she tore her ACL in a game, leaving Notre Dame with just seven scholarship players.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
sorry but I differ with your analysis.....on Aubrey Griffin I was making the point that she should make up her mind because with Louisville it's first come first serve.....on Boston, my remark was in reference as to why Ms Boston had not accepted a UConn offer if she was such a "lock" because she has a great chance to start as a freshman with no low post competition unlike Louisville or Notre Dame, two of her other finalists..... on Destiny Adams........my point was simply that UConn should make plain their interest in her as she is really good and in UConn's home territory .....and on Amihere I simply mentioned that Louisville was pursuing her....so from that you extrapolate that I want UConn to use the Louisville recruiting model?.....you'd be right to say that I am wary of Louisville but just because I reference Louisville as a team that aggressively pursues talent doesn't mean I want UConn to throw out offers like candy......I simply want them to find suitable secondary choices at positions where the team is weakest or in the case of a low post non existent..if you consider the odds of landing a top five player going forward in this super competitive environment combined with the number of serious injuries almost every team is experiencing you need to recruit an additional player or two..you know full well that I have never approved of what Jeff W and now Coach Vic seem to do by sometimes maxing out their scholarships and then pressuring players to leave.....that's a totally different philosophy and a lousy one if you ask me...
That super competitive recruiting environment is entirely in you imagination=nothing new. Let's call it what it is. What you want is for Geno and the staff to substitute your judgement: "find suitable secondary choices" for their judgement which is that: "secondary" player would not help UCONN". Respect the work that the staff has put in to supporting their conclusion/judgement. In a previous post I detailed the post players that UCONN has evaluated by class and decided not to pursue. I would be glad to repost the the list.

Reaction Score
That super competitive recruiting environment is entirely in you imagination=nothing new. Let's call it what it is. What you want is for Geno and the staff to substitute your judgement: "find suitable secondary choices" for their judgement which is that: "secondary" player would not help UCONN". Respect the work that the staff has put in to supporting their conclusion/judgement. In a previous post I detailed the post players that UCONN has evaluated by class and decided not to pursue. I would be glad to repost the the list.

so you don't believe there is more national competition for top ten talent now then in the past? Programs like Oregon, Oregon State, Mississippi State, South Carolina and others have gained ground in that area over the past few years..............maybe to the detriment of other now less prominent schools but it certainly seems like there are more teams out there that can draw top talent nationally...........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
so you don't believe there is more national competition for top ten talent now then in the past? Programs like Oregon, Oregon State, Mississippi State, South Carolina and others have gained ground in that area over the past few years....maybe to the detriment of other now less prominent schools but it certainly seems like there are more teams out there that can draw top talent nationally......
There has merely been a reshuffling of the deck in recruiting. Team has risen others have fallen. Duke for example used to regularly compete with UCONN for talent. The same can be said of Rutgers and Maryland. Purdue and Texas A&M won national championships and were never heard from much again as it relates to recruiting top players.

Reaction Score
There has merely been a reshuffling of the deck in recruiting. Team has risen others have fallen. Duke for example used to regularly compete with UCONN for talent. The same can be said of Rutgers and Maryland. Purdue and Texas A&M won national championships and were never heard from much again as it relates to recruiting top players.

fair enough.................of course the other issue leading to more competition is the diminishing number of players willing to play unselfish, team basketball..............I know that Geno has mentioned this many times.............so teams that are more selective in that area like UConn, ND, Stanford perhaps a few more are fighting over the same shrinking universe of players............

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Im hearing Louisville slightly ahead of South Carolina for Cooke but its all rumor at this point.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Zia Cooke is announcing today.

Pretty sure Brea Beal is announcing on November 8th (read an article about her recruiting process and that date sticks in my head...her birthday?).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes Brea Beal is announcing on her birthday, which I too recall is the 8th. I believe that Rickea and Laeticia are both announcing on the 14th, but I’m not 100% about Rickea.

I would be fairly surprised if it wasn’t Dawn on this one. That whole article totally made it seem she was going to become a gamecock. I think Mississippi State was going after her pretty hard but they already have a guard heavy 2019 class.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I am not going to guess on Cooke. I will just wait and see.

Reaction Score
Imagine if So.Car gets Boston & Amihere or Boston & Jones to join along with Cooke ? That could be a great class #1 for sure

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Imagine if So.Car gets Boston & Amihere or Boston & Jones to join along with Cooke ? That could be a great class #1 for sure
shaking_head_breaking_bad (1).gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020