Non UConn College WBB News | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There's a final four weekend coming to an arena near you. :)

Not for everybody. I guess it depends on your definition of near. Within a couple thousand miles?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That's a good group of cities; I hope they do better with having regional sites in interesting places.

You know what would be a cool location for a regional...... though it will NEVER happen... due to the location and the aging arena. Asheville. Tell me I wrong.... :cool:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

This would be massive if they could get 1 or both players eligible, especially AEH to provide help with scoring from the perimeter if she's ready to go. Taylor's isn't as important with McCowan inside and Howard being a fantastic rebounder, but she'd certainly be a big help for Mississippi State. Considering that 8 players left Ole Miss, I wouldn't be shocked if she gets clearance.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

I will be following Espinoza-Hunter’s decision very closely. Geno’s words at the time of her leaving were very murky... depending on how you look at it, they can be construed as the player refusing to play Geno’s way (behavioral issues) or the player unable to play Geno’s way (coaching issues)... I’m sure MSU is pushing the 2nd angle.

FWIW, I think both will be approved.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I will be following Espinoza-Hunter’s decision very closely. Geno’s words at the time of her leaving were very murky... depending on how you look at it, they can be construed as the player refusing to play Geno’s way (behavioral issues) or the player unable to play Geno’s way (coaching issues)... I’m sure MSU is pushing the 2nd angle.
FWIW, I think both will be approved.
I am predicting the opposite that the waivers will be disapproved for both. The most notable waivers request that have been approved thus far, most notable Chatrice White & Jessica Shepard, had the support of the school from which the player departed. The NCAA website plainly states that this is a crucial criteria for approval.
Just don't see UCONN supporting AEH's request and like wise don't see Ole Miss supporting Promise's request to play for a conference rival. In addition the NCAA just said no to Dawn for Cooper to be eligible earlier. For the NCAA to make both players eligible might tip the balance of power in the SEC heavily towards Missi. St. Dawn would take the advice she gave to Coopers parents and lawyer up herself. Now that Dawn's litigation with the Missouri AD is over her lawyers should have some time on their hands. :eek:

Reaction Score
I am predicting the opposite that the waivers will be disapproved for both. The most notable waivers request that have been approved thus far, most notable Chatrice White & Jessica Shepard, had the support of the school from which the player departed. The NCAA website plainly states that this is a crucial criteria for approval.
Just don't see UCONN supporting AEH's request and like wise don't see Ole Miss supporting Promise's request to play for a conference rival. In addition the NCAA just said no to Dawn for Cooper to be eligible earlier. For the NCAA to make both players eligible might tip the balance of power in the SEC heavily towards Missi. St. Dawn would take the advice she gave to Coopers parents and lawyer up herself. Now that Dawn's litigation with the Missouri AD is over her lawyers should have some time on their hands. :eek:

I'm surprised you think Geno would try to hold AEH up..............I thought his MO was wishing players the best of luck with their careers when they left the program

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm surprised you think Geno would try to hold AEH up....I thought his MO was wishing players the best of luck with their careers when they left the program
Lack of support to the waiver request is not the same as holding someone up. UCONN has also had its share of transfers in, don't recall any other schools supporting the request for a waiver process to "help" UCONN out. Also believe Geno is very sincere in wishing the departing players well. For EDD Geno could have let her out of the NLI, but he did not.

Reaction Score
Lack of support to the waiver request is not the same as holding someone up. UCONN has also had its share of transfers in, don't recall any other schools supporting the request for a waiver process to "help" UCONN out. Also believe Geno is very sincere in wishing the departing players well. For EDD Geno could have let her out of the NLI, but he did not.

well if getting the OK from the school the player has left is needed to complete an early transfer and that school doesn't give the OK then isn't that helping to hold up the transfer?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

The one other I can think of was the recently retired Natalie Romeo, who also had Nebraska's support when she went to Washington.

It hadn't initially occurred to me that this was an inter-conference transfer regarding Promise Taylor, who -- in my mind -- might've had some strong points to make given the massive flight from Oxford following the coaching change there. Your case about tipping the balance of power bears watching.

In the article that was attached, it said that Taylor played under 10 minutes per game on the tour. Given that she was a frosh starter at Ole Miss (and a good one), does one want to relegate her to bench duty for one of her three years of eligibility? Could someone else back up McCowan when she does come out? Or is it worth having a legit player off the bench for one year, who then takes over for two years? Well, Coach Vic seems to have tipped his hat on which way he wants to go.

Stay tuned.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You know what would be a cool location for a regional. though it will NEVER happen... due to the location and the aging arena. Asheville. Tell me I wrong.... :cool:

It would be a good location; I just want them in places that are reasonable to get to and have a reasonable amount to do. Sioux Falls and Stockton? No. Albany was fine; I flew nonstop to LGA and rented a car. The 2019 sites aren't bad - Albany, Chicago, Greensboro and Portland are all places that are reasonable travel destinations.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The ACC Tipoff was held today in Charlotte. I dont remember it being this early before... but perhaps it has..... my memory aint what it used to be. Not surprisingly........ Louisville was scheduled in the morning session.... while ND was in the afternoon session. I bet they didnt want those coaches to cross paths. :eek::D:p:cool:;):):rolleyes:

I guess the voting for the preseason ACC stuff will come out in the coming days. One sign of the times were that the ESPN people (Lobo, Landers.... a few others perhaps) were down there..... as opposed to the old days with the Raycom people. They have had it in Charlotte the past few years.... previously they used to come to Greensboro and the Grandover Resort.

Reaction Score
6-5 C Daphane White has transferred to a JUCO from Mississippi State. Was a top 50 prospect in class of 2018. It was very likely grades as many were surprised she even made it to campus with her grades.

Regardless, this opens up a scholarship for them which gives them 3 available if Zion Campbell doesn’t use her fifth year. Permitting she doesn’t use her 5th year at State, Jessika Carter and Promise Taylor are their only forwards. Does this help with their chances for Maori Davenport? Does this affect Taylor’s waiver or no since it was already submitted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom