Non UConn College WBB News | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Nice to hear from you again jonson. I'm sure you're excited about this season. I really thought they could make the Final 4 last year. Close, but not quite. Maybe they break through this time.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Nice to hear from you again jonson. I'm sure you're excited about this season. I really thought they could make the Final 4 last year. Close, but not quite. Maybe they break through this time.

Fingers crossed on that one. I don't think they are national championship material, but I'm hoping for a final four. Everyone here was really disappointed about what happened in the second half vs. Notre Dame (tho' that happened to others as well), when Oregon seemed to have a legitimate shot at winning. I hope that the younger Sabally will help address the disaster on the boards that day and that will make a difference down the road.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Like 3 other teams, they had a halftime lead on N.D. But the Irish defense on Sabrina in the second half was too much. I was a Duck that evening.

Reaction Score
Like 3 other teams, they had a halftime lead on N.D. But the Irish defense on Sabrina in the second half was too much. I was a Duck that evening.
I believe they were down at halftime to Tam too? That's just from memory, but I know that their 1st round opponent scored more points then any other 16 seed. And they were tied with Villanova at halftime in the 2nd round. Thinking about it, they had a wild run.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
ACC Women's Conference Schedule was released today.

2018-19 ACC Women’s Basketball League Schedule Announced

A few personal notes. No Big Monday games for Duke this year.... which I like... cause Monday games are awful scheduling wise.... only been to one in my life. Syracuse and NC State both get Big Monday games hosting ND. The only national TV game for Duke this year is Senior Day (i will get back to that later) vs UNC.Cheat I personally like that too.... the less people watching Duke play... the lesser amount of putting posters on ignore, the less reading of negative comments on Coach McCallie.... et al.... across all boards... not just this one. :rolleyes:

Ah crap... just saw that the home games vs Syracuse and VPI are on RSN Head bang

Rant time: Duke Senior Night in and odd number year had always been vs the team whose primary color is a shade of toilet paper.... but for some reason ... the ACC schedule switched up and both 2016 and 2017 Duke played in Chapel Hill the last day of the season. Well I guess things are going back to the odd year schedule as the regular season finale will be in Durham vs the Tarheels.... just like 2018 :confused: Personally I like Senior nights when there is a large class as oppose to a smaller one. Only 2 Seniors this season (both reserves) as opposed to 3 Starting seniors in 2020. But my real gripe is that the game starts at 12 noon.... for Senior Night....... thats way too early.. and might have a negative impact on attendance. Head bang

rant-over.gif

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ND is making steady progress on its new basketball practice facility. There's a visual update below. All the Irish hoops facilities are located in the Joyce Athletic Convocation Center (ACC), which is a super facility but was brand new when I went there back in the 70's. While the arena (Purcell Pavilion) has been redone, the (practice) Pit is not a selling point, for sure. (In fact, whenever I went to see swimming meets for my D3 nieces, I'd drool over the hoops practice facilities I'd see in New England and New York State).

In any case, this is great move for Coach McGraw and Coach Brey for day-to-day practice situations and obviously a good move for recruiting.

Reaction Score
ND is making steady progress on its new basketball practice facility. There's a visual update below. All the Irish hoops facilities are located in the Joyce Athletic Convocation Center (ACC), which is a super facility but was brand new when I went there back in the 70's. While the arena (Purcell Pavilion) has been redone, the (practice) Pit is not a selling point, for sure. (In fact, whenever I went to see swimming meets for my D3 nieces, I'd drool over the hoops practice facilities I'd see in New England and New York State).
In any case, this is great move for Coach McGraw and Coach Brey for day-to-day practice situations and obviously a good move for recruiting.

I've been doing some college research as my daughter is getting closer to that time.............looked up ND just for the fun of it (my daughter's GPA and basketball talent aren't exactly what ND is looking for) and was shocked to see $68,395 as the total cost for 2018..........for that kind of money every student should have their own practice facility!!!!!!................:D

Dillon77

Reaction Score
ACC Women's Conference Schedule was released today.

2018-19 ACC Women’s Basketball League Schedule Announced

A few personal notes. No Big Monday games for Duke this year.... which I like... cause Monday games are awful scheduling wise.... only been to one in my life. Syracuse and NC State both get Big Monday games hosting ND. The only national TV game for Duke this year is Senior Day (i will get back to that later) vs UNC.Cheat I personally like that too.... the less people watching Duke play... the lesser amount of putting posters on ignore, the less reading of negative comments on Coach McCallie.... et al.... across all boards... not just this one. :rolleyes:

Ah crap... just saw that the home games vs Syracuse and VPI are on RSN Head bang

Rant time: Duke Senior Night in and odd number year had always been vs the team whose primary color is a shade of toilet paper.... but for some reason ... the ACC schedule switched up and both 2016 and 2017 Duke played in Chapel Hill the last day of the season. Well I guess things are going back to the odd year schedule as the regular season finale will be in Durham vs the Tarheels.... just like 2018 :confused: Personally I like Senior nights when there is a large class as oppose to a smaller one. Only 2 Seniors this season (both reserves) as opposed to 3 Starting seniors in 2020. But my real gripe is that the game starts at 12 noon.... for Senior Night.. thats way too early.. and might have a negative impact on attendance. Head bang

View attachment 34494

Do you get the ACC Network (and the distributor that broadcasts it)? If so, can watch ND vs Duke on Thursday, Feb. 21st. This one's going to be in South Bend. I'll constantly be checking my screen to see where Rebecca Greenwell is. It seems like she's been at Duke as long as we've had a Mabrey...but our Mabrey era was two people over 7 years. :rolleyes:

Rebecca had the red-shirt year, right? Still, will be odd not seeing her on the floor. Great competitor.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I've been doing some college research as my daughter is getting closer to that time...looked up ND just for the fun of it (my daughter's GPA and basketball talent aren't exactly what ND is looking for) and was shocked to see $68,395 as the total cost for 2018.....for that kind of money every student should have their own practice facility!!!!!!......:D
\
One of the joys of my life is not having to eat spam every night now that my daughter has graduated from du lac :rolleyes: ;). It's simply amazing how so many of these schools continually go up and up. And often do so to keep pace with similarly rated schools in U.S. News and World Report, etc. Sigh....that's nearly $20K more than when my son started there in 2007.

What is she, a sophomore or junior now? If so, one element I did enjoy was road tripping with my kids to various places. My youngest was a superb co-pilot and travel companion and we enjoyed our forays to campuses here, there and everywhere.

Reaction Score
\
One of the joys of my life is not having to eat spam every night now that my daughter has graduated from du lac :rolleyes: ;). It's simply amazing how so many of these schools continually go up and up. And often do so to keep pace with similarly rated schools in U.S. News and World Report, etc. Sigh....that's nearly $20K more than when my son started there in 2007.

What is she, a sophomore or junior now? If so, one element I did enjoy was road tripping with my kids to various places. My youngest was a superb co-pilot and travel companion and we enjoyed our forays to campuses here, there and everywhere.

Yes we're going to start taking some road trips this fall............she's had some schools contact her (DII/DIII) about basketball but I'm not so sure she's going to want to play in college.........her nagging injuries the past few years have really taken a toll on her and it's only going to get worse at the next level...........ND is simply going to have to look elsewhere.............;)

Reaction Score
I've been doing some college research as my daughter is getting closer to that time...looked up ND just for the fun of it (my daughter's GPA and basketball talent aren't exactly what ND is looking for) and was shocked to see $68,395 as the total cost for 2018.....for that kind of money every student should have their own practice facility!!!!!!......:D
Why is it so expensive? It's not even Ivy League.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
This isn't really "news" but a fun twitter video of some Oregon St. players on first day of classes.

Cute...thanks for sending. So is it her "destiny" to take charge immediately? ;) She'll add a whole other dimension to that team.

If they can get anything out of their slew of posts (and that could be incremental growth), Coach R. will make the best of it.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
U OF WASHINGTON'S ROMEO, STROTHER ARE MEDICALLY RETIRED

First graph from a U of Washington Press Release and a link to the release itself:

"SEATTLE --- University of Washington Head Women's Basketball Coach Jody Wynn announced a pair of roster changes heading into the 2018-19 season, as Deja Strother and Natalie Romeo will be medically retired, ending their UW careers.

"Romeo, a senior guard, has battled an undisclosed medical issue which kept her off the court last season. She attempted to make a comeback this season, joining the team for summer workouts, but the condition kept her from returning.

"Strother, a redshirt-junior center, suffered a leg injury prior to the start of the 2017-18 season. Despite rehabbing over the last season, she has not been able to return from the injury."

Washington Huskies

Romeo, a California native, first played for Nebraska and, as as sophomore, she was second-team All-Big Ten, averaging 16 points. She made 104 3-pointers on 42.4 percent shooting from the beyond the arc.
However, when Head Coach Connie Yori "resigned" following charges of player mistreatment, she decided to transfer, also looking at Arizona State and Oregon State before choosing Washington. As the attached article indicates, Romeo appealed for immediate eligibility, based on Yori no longer being the coach at Nebraska, and that petition was accepted. She played next to Kelsey Plum for one season but then the aforementioned medical issue arrived.

It’s official: Natalie Romeo leaves Huskers, transfers to Washington

All power to Ms. Romeo and Ms. Strother in overcoming their respective medical issues.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting Dillon. UW has been absolutely snake bit with injuries. I'd argue even worse than Notre Dame last year. That's 4 players in the last 2 years that had to retire due to medical conditions. When has that ever happened anywhere? So another year with almost no size and a lack of scorers to help supplement Melgoza. What a bummer. It's stunning the trajectory the program is on since Plum's Sr. season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
To clarify my earlier comment ND certainly lost more talent to injuries than UW, but just volume of players and total number of games lost to injuries I think UW takes it hands down. Wynn was facing a tough rebuild job anyway but she can't catch a break or get any traction so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom