Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ND WBB Beat Reporter Anthony Anderson Sits Down with
Muffet McGraw & Bri Turner; Files Pre-Season Report

Since we're in the dog days, tail-end of August (and a general dearth of WCBB news, thought some might like to catch up on developments out of South Bend, most notably ND's frosh class and the not-surprising starting lineup. See link below for full article. Some highlights:

- Marina Mabrey will continue to start at point guard, joining Arike Ogunbowale, Jackie Young, Jessica Shepard and the returning Brianna Turner. In fact, it sounds like it was never in doubt, given Mabrey's growth last year and what was accomplished with her at the point.
- Not that 5-8" frosh PG Jordan Nixon from NYC has not impressed the Irish over the summer. Both Coach McGraw and Turner share their enthusiasm for all the frosh, with insights for each individual noted by "Breezy Bri." Results of the three-game tour are also posted, with roommates Nixon and Abby Prohaska both averaging 7.0+ pts. per game.
- The 5-10" lefty guard Prohaska is already known as a workhorse and nicknamed "Baby Hulk." This is precisely what most fans thought MM was after when she recruited her: a take-no prisoners player in the Brittany Mallory/Hannah Huffman mode. Keep everyone else honest.
- Practice starts Oct. 4th and Center Mik Vaughn (ACL - Nov. 2017) should be cleared for it.
- Full schedule not revealed yet, but AA rounds up games that are known, from the Thanksgiving tournament in Vancouver and pre-Christmas game against Marquette in Milwaukee(Ogunbowale's hometown, to a January away game against Tennessee and, of course, a home game against the Huskies in early December, which we all know about.

Anderson became the Irish beat reporter last year and does an accurate, fair, consistent job in providing reports to the South Bend Tribune, ND Insider and other iterations (for those so inclined to check from time to time.

Notebook: Marina Mabrey still gets the point for Notre Dame women's hoops

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The LVs open up with home games against Presbyterian, UNC Asheville and Florida A&M. Those 3 games should prepare them well for their next game in the Bahamas against Clemson.

How times have changed.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The LVs open up with home games against Presbyterian, UNC Asheville and Florida A&M. Those 3 games should prepare them well for their next game in the Bahamas against Clemson.

How times have changed.

How else can Holly win 25 games per year?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No. 5 prospect Kierstan Bell commits to Ohio State -
By Dan Olson | Aug 25, 2018

Folks in and around Ohio already call her She-Bron. Soon basketball fans around the country will call Kierstan Bell a Buckeye.

Bell, a 6-foot-1 guard at McKinley (Canton, Ohio) and the No. 5 prospect in the espnW Super 60 for the 2019 class, on Saturday committed to Ohio State.

"I'm truly honored and blessed to announce that I am committed to The Ohio State University," Bell posted on Twitter.

The reigning Gatorade player of the year in Ohio averaged 33.4 points, 10 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 5.1 steals and 1.3 blocks per game last season as a junior.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not that 5-8" frosh PG Jordan Nixon from NYC has not impressed the Irish over the summer.
This double negative threw me for second there.
I am going to go ahead and call this one now. Worst case Nixon is ND 6th man with a similar impact to Freshmen Crystal Dangerfield.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
This double negative threw me for second there.
I am going to go ahead and call this one now. Worst case Nixon is ND 6th man with a similar impact to Freshmen Crystal dangerfield.

My late father, the Classics teacher, and younger daughter, the newspaper intern, would've smacked my right hand for that one. :D ;)

I think Jordan is doing AOK based on her making the U18 team and her performance overseas. If she could be like Crystal was her frosh year, that's aok. I'm sure MM and Niele would like to see her eventually fit into the Lili Thompson role, but time will tell.....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Dl3q4IVW0AE5NsZ.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I guess if the real Huskies upset Duke... imma have to burn all my UW gear :mad::mad::mad::mad:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I guess if the real Huskies upset Duke... imma have to burn all my UW gear :mad::mad::mad::mad:

They went 1-17 in conference last year, you probably don't need to be too worried. But you might enjoy watching Amber Melgoza play. Didn't get any national recognition last year because the Dawgs struggled so much. She got better and better as the season progressed and at the end of the year was doing a pretty darn good Kelsey Plum impersonation.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sad new out of the broadcasting world. :(:(:(... ..... Longtime broadcaster Mike Hogewood passed away yesterday. He was a fixture for years covering ACC Football and Basketball on the Raycom/JP network... but relating to this thread.... he was also a longtime fixture covering ACC Women's basketball... usually paired with Debbie Antonelli on the Fox South Broadcasts.

Legendary sportscaster Mike Hogewood dies

He was the Sports Director for the local CBS station for many years... before joining Raycom.... so I've been listening to him do sports since I was in middle school back in the 1980's, he was known both as the voice of the ACC... or just Mr ACC....

RIP to the Hog... Mr ACC :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Sad new out of the broadcasting world. :(:(:(... ..... Longtime broadcaster Mike Hogewood passed away yesterday. He was a fixture for years covering ACC Football and Basketball on the Raycom/JP network... but relating to this thread.... he was also a longtime fixture covering ACC Women's basketball... usually paired with Debbie Antonelli on the Fox South Broadcasts.

He was the Sports Director for the local CBS station for many years... before joining Raycom.... so I've been listening to him do sports since I was in middle school back in the 1980's, he was known both as the voice of the ACC... or just Mr ACC....

I'm sorry to hear that, he was a fixture.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
#0. That reminds me of a story that came out somewhere during the WNBA playoff coverage.

Geno asked DT what number she wanted, she said #0. Geno says that is the dumbest thing he ever heard. Pick again. DT pickes #1. Geno says no way someone on my team wears #1. So #3 it is. :cool:
Well she can't have #3. Or any other of the numbers hanging from the rafters. Those are all retired numbers.

Reaction Score
#0. That reminds me of a story that came out somewhere during the WNBA playoff coverage.

Geno asked DT what number she wanted, she said #0. Geno says that is the dumbest thing he ever heard. Pick again. DT pickes #1. Geno says no way someone on my team wears #1. So #3 it is. :cool:
Not trying to discredit your story or this young women who is transferring to UT. But does every time you see the number 0 remind you of that story? I know that story pretty vividly, and I'm sure a ton of Byers do too. I guess what I'm trying to say is why tell that story? This young woman isn't a DT, but just a woman who is making a decision for herself. I feel like that little story is unnecessary, considering most of posters here know it. They probably didn't even think of the story when seeing that post. This thread is called "Non-Uconn WBB news" for a a reason. It's a place for non-Uconn posters to post to the most populated WBB board on the internet.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not trying to discredit your story or this young women who is transferring to UT. But does every time you see the number 0 remind you of that story? I know that story pretty vividly, and I'm sure a ton of Byers do too. I guess what I'm trying to say is why tell that story? This young woman isn't a DT, but just a woman who is making a decision for herself. I feel like that little story is unnecessary, considering most of posters here know it. They probably didn't even think of the story when seeing that post. This thread is called "Non-Uconn WBB news" for a a reason. It's a place for non-Uconn posters to post to the most populated WBB board on the internet.

Sorry. I never heard the story before but will delete the post since it seems insensitive.

Reaction Score

Not sure why you responded the way you did about a rather innocuous story that eebmg connected to a previous post. No, it's content wasn't strictly non-UConn but nothing to get riled about.
Btw, this thread is also for UConn fans to post about non-UConn wcbb happenings, and not just a "place for non-UConn fans to post.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I was very sad to hear this. I definitely heard him do some games with Debbie Antonelli and really enjoyed that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom