Non UConn College WBB News | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Non UConn College WBB News

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
A team that lost 3 of its 6 key players from a team that didnt win the NC?

A team that has:
-lost 2 games in the last 3 years
-has 3 #1 recruits on the roster
-another 2x AA returning
-a PG who was a top 3 recruit in the country
-another top 5 recruit who is an incoming freshman
-an 11x National Championship coach

Compare that to Oregon, who has
-never made a final four
-has two top 5 recruit on the roster (UCONN has 5)
-a coach who has never made a Final Four
-1 returning All-American

Yeah...definitely #2 team in the country and has a great shot to be #1. Anyone who thinks UCONN is an underdog this year is kidding themselves.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
UCONN is clear #2...more talent than anyone in the country. Oregon is #3 IMO, Louisville/Baylor/Mississippi State round out the top 6, not necessarily in that order though.

All teams are losing players from last year's squads, of course, and the interest is seeing how the new additions to the rotations make up for the losses. The three teams you list as 4-6 are no exceptions.

- Louisville: Hines-Allen was a staple of that team all four years she was there, with exceptional athletic ability and passion (maybe too much at times). Who is going to step up in the frontcourt? How will Coach W. readjust?
- Baylor. Well, the top two point guards from last year are now not in Waco. Deep talent...can someone step to run the ship and get the ball to Brown or Cox?
- Mississippi State. As much as we write about McCowan, Vivians was the focal point of that offense. She and her fellow senior class will be missed. Howard can board, but she has not shown herself to be the kind of "go to" player Vivians was (nor has she had to be, in all fairness).

There's a lot of talent on these teams, of course, which makes their graduation/transfer losses proportionate to other teams who may be coming back with less losses. I'll be keeping a particular eye on Louisville, in part, because the Irish are in the ACC and I live in Hines-Allen's hometown of Montclair, NJ.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well, as you might imagine given the timing, Morris was dismissed:

Reaction Score
A team that has:
-lost 2 games in the last 3 years
-has 3 #1 recruits on the roster
-another 2x AA returning
-a PG who was a top 3 recruit in the country
-another top 5 recruit who is an incoming freshman
-an 11x National Championship coach

What position does "lost 2 games in 3 years" play? How many points/rebounds does "11 NCs" average?

Reaction Score
Well, as you might imagine given the timing, Morris was dismissed:

Hayes, Morris. If a few forwards could also violate rules, they would have a pretty good starting 5. Does Urban Meyer want to coach wcbb?

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
I generally don't like commenting on player tweets, but this is too fascinating/gossipy from Ms. Morris:

WO11F 94/40‏ @LexMorris11 Sep 9
ima show her what I’m about
she bad enough ima do it
at another location​

WO11F 94/40‏ @LexMorris11
Praying for a lot of ppl who did me wrong
1:32 AM - 11 Sep 2018​

Morris has always had personal demons. She's a great talent, but she needs to deal with her personal problems. I hate to see this but I can only pray that this will be her rock bottom. She wanted to be/stay at Baylor, however, Mulkey doesn't play around when it comes to team rules. Hard lesson for such a talent. This is a crushing blow to Baylor.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
A lot!

However, was speculation during summer she wanted to leave, but teammates talked her into it. So I am not sure what the truth is. Kim is old school and strict and she did get into trouble a few times last season and had to sit out. So maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

I'm sure Jackson and Landrum will share time at the point, but this will give Honesty and Moon more opportunity to play.

Whoever picks her up will be a lucky team. I really think she will be a star PG by her Senior year. Good thing we have PG signed for the 2019 class.

I think Baylor has the players to make up for her absence, but she had all the makings of being a great point guard for Kim. 9.4 ppg, 3 assists, 3 rebounds and 44% FG, 46% from deep, 84% from the line and a 2:1 A/TO ratio as a frosh is outstanding. As a starter over the last 7 games, she upped those numbers to 14.3ppg and almost 5apg. During that stretch they played Texas, Michigan, and Oregon State which was the toughest stretch of their schedule. Whoever lands her is getting a good one. Hopefully she has a good head on her shoulders and meshes better wherever she's going.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
What position does "lost 2 games in 3 years" play? How many points/rebounds does "11 NCs" average?

What argument do you make for a team like Oregon or Baylor to be ahead of UCONN other than that they return more contributors?

Reaction Score
What argument do you make for a team like Oregon or Baylor to be ahead of UCONN other than that they return more contributors?

Returning lots of very good, experienced players is a pretty good argument in my book.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Returning lots of very good, experienced players is a pretty good argument in my book.
Doesn't Oregon also return two players who won their position specific player of the year awards...as Sophomores? And Oregon also had four players who won the 3x3 national tournament this summer. Which was good playing experience and great for chemistry.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oregon also lost 3 players to transfer and 1 returned to Europe to play professionally. None of them were their stars but 3 were rotational players, so their depth certainly took a big hit.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Oregon also lost 3 players to transfer and 1 returned to Europe to play professionally. None of them were their stars but 3 were rotational players, so their depth certainly took a big hit.
Who went to Europe? Was it Sabally?

Reaction Score
I think Baylor has the players to make up for her absence, but she had all the makings of being a great point guard for Kim. 9.4 ppg, 3 assists, 3 rebounds and 44% FG, 46% from deep, 84% from the line and a 2:1 A/TO ratio as a frosh is outstanding. As a starter over the last 7 games, she upped those numbers to 14.3ppg and almost 5apg. During that stretch they played Texas, Michigan, and Oregon State which was the toughest stretch of their schedule. Whoever lands her is getting a good one. Hopefully she has a good head on her shoulders and meshes better wherever she's going.

You know after they went and played in Italy this summer I think it showed a lot. Players like Caitlin Bickle hit several 3's and played really well. Queen played well also. Chloe is used to running a team, so she will fit right in. Heck Kristy played off ball until the last two seasons when she had to play more pg. I think they will be fine, but she isn't one I would have chosen to be dismissed.

Reaction Score
Who went to Europe? Was it Sabally?

I only know of McGwire, Maley, and Campisano leaving. The latter 2 each averaged <10 mins per game so questionable losses.
They return 4/5 of starters plus add ND transfer Boley and Sabally's younger sis.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Campisano leaving is a non factor. McGwire started about half of the games during her 2 years in Eugene, and if she didn't start she was the first post player off the bench. Had some big games for them. Wasn't as dynamic as Hebard but I think they'll miss her contributions. Maley didn't play a lot but she was an energy/hustle player that had a knack for O boards and loose balls. It would've been intriguing to see her develop. Ayuso might be the biggest loss. Obviously Ionescu and Cazorla will log the majority of minutes in the backcourt. They have almost no one else with any experience now. Bando was another starter who graduated, Hall was a little used reserve that also graduated. Maley and Ayuso left. Yaeger was a RS last year, didn't play much as a Fr. Chavez is an incoming Fr. Unless Chavez is really good, they are one injury to Ionescu or Cazorla away from a disaster, no depth and no experience to fall back on. Unless they want to go w/ 1 guard and 4 forwards/posts.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Campisano leaving is a non factor. McGwire started about half of the games during her 2 years in Eugene, and if she didn't start she was the first post player off the bench. Had some big games for them. Wasn't as dynamic as Hebard but I think they'll miss her contributions. Maley didn't play a lot but she was an energy/hustle player that had a knack for O boards and loose balls. It would've been intriguing to see her develop. Ayuso might be the biggest loss. Obviously Ionescu and Cazorla will log the majority of minutes in the backcourt. They have almost no one else with any experience now. Bando was another starter who graduated, Hall was a little used reserve that also graduated. Maley and Ayuso left. Yaeger was a RS last year, didn't play much as a Fr. Chavez is an incoming Fr. Unless Chavez is really good, they are one injury to Ionescu or Cazorla away from a disaster, no depth and no experience to fall back on. Unless they want to go w/ 1 guard and 4 forwards/posts.

"They have almost no one else with any experience now."

Well, maybe in regards to returning Oregon players who got into games. But Erin Boley practiced with this team last year and she got a lot of playing time her freshman year at Notre Dame (just as much as Jackie Young). I'll be very interested to see how she fit in defensively, but if Sabrina can find Boley open, that jumpers going to fall. Again and again....her form is exquisite.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Dillon, I was referring to back court bench players.

Boley is intriguing, she could very well replace what McGwire provided and then some. I'm thinking she's a stretch 4 that can play some 3, same as Satou Sabally. I don't know if the younger Sabally is similar in playing style to her sister. They've got plenty of depth/experience in the front court (maybe too much, gonna be tough competition for playing time). I'm just a little concerned about the perimeter if Ionescu or Cazorla misses any games or has foul trouble, or if they want to go with a smaller lineup.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

By that measure, UCONN should've been a much better team than Notre Dame last year but they weren't. That's the only argument that can be made for Oregon though. Talent, experience, coaching, and proven results all favor UCONN significantly.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Morris has always had personal demons. She's a great talent, but she needs to deal with her personal problems. I hate to see this but I can only pray that this will be her rock bottom. She wanted to be/stay at Baylor, however, Mulkey doesn't play around when it comes to team rules. Hard lesson for such a talent. This is a crushing blow to Baylor.
Thanks, skilledup.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I'm sure Jackson and Landrum will share time at the point, but this will give Honesty and Moon more opportunity to play.

Whoever picks her up will be a lucky team. I really think she will be a star PG by her Senior year. Good thing we have PG signed for the 2019 class.
Who? Jordyn Oliver? Have only seen her listed as a SG/W, but perhaps she has the skills to play some at the point.

Baylor is very fortunate to have added Chloe Jackson and Honesty Scott-Grayson for 2018-19; that eases the blow of Morris leaving unexpectedly.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Thanks, skilledup.
LOL - ok, I give up. Call me what you want Mooooo, HOWEVER - I am not SKILLEDUP. You are just as arrogant on this board as you are on your own.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

I actually think the Oregon backcourt situation is about the same as it was last year, when they had to deal with some minor injuries to Cazorla. Yeager played a bit less than 10 minutes/game as a freshman two years ago. That's about the same as Ayuso last year; she also had some decent moments on a freshman-dominated team trying to find its way, although a Yeager move never made U-Tube. (Her redshirt was due to a back injury.) I think she has the capability of being a solid backup. The staff is very high on Chavez, but time will tell on that one, and I do agree that Ayuso is probably the biggest loss of the 4. (I'll miss watching Maley crash around as well.)

McGwire did make some key contributions last year, but on defense she was a 3-point play waiting to happen, and there is a reason she stopped starting early in her sophomore year. I think that the younger Sabally, who has a body type like Hebard's and is supposed to be a terrific rebounder, will more than make up for M's contributions in that area. Based on videos I've seen from European tournaments, she is a very good passer with a varied offensive game similar to her sister's (vs Hebard's), but is much more physical and aggressive (a good thing imo and I hope some of it rubs off). And, like her sister two years ago, last year she was MVP of the FIBA U18 Division B European Championship. I think Boley will start, along with S. Sabally, Hebard, Cazorla, and Ionescu, with Yaeger and Chavez as backup guards and S. Sabally maybe playing a bit there as well.

Reaction Score
Who? Jordyn Oliver? Have only seen her listed as a SG/W, but perhaps she has the skills to play some at the point.

Baylor is very fortunate to have added Chloe Jackson and Honesty Scott-Grayson for 2018-19; that eases the blow of Morris leaving unexpectedly.

You aren't lying! The fact that we don't have to HSG take it on, but yet learn from both Chloe and Kim will help. After losing Kristy last year I thought our PG struggles were over. Think again!! This team will be tall!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom