Non-Key Tweets | Page 968 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Just for yucks; so that would dilute the ACC to: Duke, Wake, Miami, GT, BC, Syracuse, SMU, Cal and Stanford. We can assume ND moves on as well. UConn might actually get an invite in that scenario.

Oh the scenarios we shall to hear in the decade to come.

Seems like the next shoe to drop is the ultimate fate of WSU and OSU.

Reaction Score
Big East hoops merge w the leftovers please.

(It would be cool for Cooper to get to play Duke in a conference game)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Big East hoops merge w the leftovers please.

(It would be cool for Cooper to get to play Duke in a conference game)
Haha. You should start a thread about it.

Reaction Score
The PAC 12 didn’t even make it. You think a a top heavy Big East with one more big school like Penn State would be the hunter with a non proactive schmuck like Tranghese was going to be the hunter? Sure ok.
The reason why Penn State couldn't organize with the other northeastern football schools is because Penn State demanded unequal distributions. If the other schools had agreed to that, and if this model worked for Penn State, they might've been able to entice schools like Florida St. Heck, Florida St was already one of the schools talking with Penn State in the 1st place.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The reason why Penn State couldn't organize with the other northeastern football schools is because Penn State demanded unequal distributions. If the other schools had agreed to that, and if this model worked for Penn State, they might've been able to entice schools like Florida St. Heck, Florida St was already one of the schools talking with Penn State in the 1st place.
Both of these items are news to me. I thought that the whole point was to establish a northeast all sports conference. This is actually the first I've heard that Penn State was pitching unequal distributions. At the time, I don't feel like it had the throw weight to make that stick.

Reaction Score
Some of where we are in football started in 1990...Football Independency started to collapse and teams looked for a conference to join.

....That was the year that Notre Dame signed their own media deal
....That was the year that Penn State joined the Big Ten
....That was the year that Independents started looking for conferences
------South Carolina to SEC 1991
------Miami, WVU, VT, Rutgers to Big East football 191
.......FSU to ACC 1992

FROM 1990 Article...kind of prophetic.
...superconferences will generate more games, not fewer. By adopting divisional play—six, seven or eight teams to a division—the superconferences would be able to take advantage of a long-ignored NCAA bylaw that permits an extra game, beyond the annual limit of 11, to determine a conference championship. A logical subsequent step would be to take the four superconference champs and hold a national-championship playoff; this would involve two more postseason games...

Reaction Score
Some of where we are in football started in 1990...Football Independency started to collapse and teams looked for a conference to join.

....That was the year that Notre Dame signed their own media deal
....That was the year that Penn State joined the Big Ten
....That was the year that Independents started looking for conferences
------South Carolina to SEC 1991
------Miami, WVU, VT, Rutgers to Big East football 1991
------FSU to ACC 1992

FROM 1990 Article...kind of prophetic.
...superconferences will generate more games, not fewer. By adopting divisional play—six, seven or eight teams to a division—the superconferences would be able to take advantage of a long-ignored NCAA bylaw that permits an extra game, beyond the annual limit of 11, to determine a conference championship. A logical subsequent step would be to take the four superconference champs and hold a national-championship playoff; this would involve two more postseason games...

Reaction Score
Both of these items are news to me. I thought that the whole point was to establish a northeast all sports conference. This is actually the first I've heard that Penn State was pitching unequal distributions. At the time, I don't feel like it had the throw weight to make that stick.
Yes, I'm referring to the northeast all-sports conference. It would've happened if Penn State hadn't insisted on unequal distributions. At the time PSU was coming off undefeated regular season, national championship game in the Sugar Bowl against Alabama, considered controversial loss by PSU fans.

Seton Hall got into the BE by virtue of Rutgers sticking it out with Penn State. Syracuse and BC bailed on Paterno. This is why Paterno later had to come hat in hand to the BE.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, I'm referring to the northeast all-sports conference. It would've happened if Penn State hadn't insisted on unequal distributions. At the time PSU was coming off undefeated regular season, national championship game in the Sugar Bowl against Alabama, considered controversial loss by PSU fans.

Seton Hall got into the BE by virtue of Rutgers sticking it out with Penn State. Syracuse and BC bailed on Paterno. This is why Paterno later had to come hat in hand to the BE.
Ah okay. I was thinking of the second time after the establishment of the Big East.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I've stopped having any confidence in that.
Ha - yep. I lost confidence of anything and everything in the days after AZ took our B12 seat.

Then this football season became a dud at the absolute worst time.

The only thing to be confident in is more and more wacky CRA schemes...those just never end.

Things might have been different if our BB centric fan base learned to love football a decade ago.... there is no time machine however.

Reaction Score
Things might have been different if our BB centric fan base learned to love football a decade ago.... there is no time machine however.
Ah yes blame the fans the football team is bad. Not the administrations over the years for making bad hires (partly at the behest of the few mega donors we do have), or the coaches themselves (including the man currently in the role) for being unable to beat low end G5s and then not taking accountability.

The fans will turn out when the team isn't an embarrassment. There's ample evidence to support this. In Connecticut, it's a show me something type of audience and outside a brief window late last season, there hasn't been much to be seen. You can't get crushed by P5s by 40 points and lose to FIU at home and expect everyone to show up and spend 4-5 hours on a Saturday enduring that. People value their time.

I don't mean to use this post as an example, but the more folks continue to use the term "BB centric fan base" and so forth, the more you are alienating yourself from the fan base at large. Fans want to win, basketball wins (a lot). Football doesn't win much and hasn't had a winning season in over a decade. Win and people will be there to celebrate and support. This isn't rocket science.

Not everyone is going to be 110% on every single UConn team all time. It's an unrealistic and unfair expectation. Understand people prefer one sport or team over another, but by and large the support will come as long as a program can just be normal good or normal bad...not always really bad.

Learn to play nice with all fans and alumni, even if they don't match your dedication and passion for things you prioritize 1:1.

End rant.

CL82

Reaction Score
Things might have been different if our BB centric fan base learned to love football a decade ago..
Well to be fair, it wasn't much longer than a decade ago that fans pack the rate at 38,000, 39,000, and even sell outs. Then this happened…
1698337692227.jpeg

And it only got worse from there...
IMG_0614.jpeg

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ah yes blame the fans the football team is bad. Not the administrations over the years for making bad hires (partly at the behest of the few mega donors we do have), or the coaches themselves (including the man currently in the role) for being unable to beat low end G5s and then not taking accountability.

The fans will turn out when the team isn't an embarrassment. There's ample evidence to support this. In Connecticut, it's a show me something type of audience and outside a brief window late last season, there hasn't been much to be seen. You can't get crushed by P5s by 40 points and lose to FIU at home and expect everyone to show up and spend 4-5 hours on a Saturday enduring that. People value their time.

I don't mean to use this post as an example, but the more folks continue to use the term "BB centric fan base" and so forth, the more you are alienating yourself from the fan base at large. Fans want to win, basketball wins (a lot). Football doesn't win much and hasn't had a winning season in over a decade. Win and people will be there to celebrate and support. This isn't rocket science.

Not everyone is going to be 110% on every single UConn team all time. It's an unrealistic and unfair expectation. Understand people prefer one sport or team over another, but by and large the support will come as long as a program can just be normal good or normal bad...not always really bad.

Learn to play nice with all fans and alumni, even if they don't match your dedication and passion for things you prioritize 1:1.

End rant.
First, I respect your content and contributions around here tremendously. Its all really top notch. That said, while I could fill this space with a lot of dourer thoughts on the whole damn football thing, I prefer not too. And while I disagree with some of your rebuttal as well, I don't really care to expand on this subject as it will likely just annoy the Fudge out of a lot of people. Maybe another time. Todays not the day to take the gloves off.

AZ did not take out B12 seat. We never had one to be taken.
Disagree. I believe what I have been told by others off line. But you can have your view, that is fine. Its all moot anyway.

CL82

Reaction Score
We had a spot unless something better came along is like saying you have a prom date until the popular guy asks her out.
Kind of, except the more popular guy already has a prom date, but they break up on the day of the prom and he co-ops your date a half hour before you are due to pick her up.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Well to be fair, it wasn't much longer than a decade ago that fans pack the rate at 38,000, 39,000, and even sell outs. Then this happened…
View attachment 92495

And it only got worse from there...
View attachment 92499
True. But here is the thing...going forward it will be about more than just butts in the seats, it will be about financial firepower of the entire operation and most notably about NIL firepower. A 1/2 empty stadium with the right set of boosters and coaches will have more power than a full stadium of deeply discounted seats and a thin set of boosters and a middling staff. 2023 was to be the year we demonstrated (while we had the attention of BY) that we could compete in this space in some basic minimum level of adequacy type way.

CL82

Reaction Score
True. But here is the thing...going forward it will be about more than just butts in the seats, it will be about financial firepower of the entire operation and most notably about NIL firepower. A 1/2 empty stadium with the right set of boosters and coaches will have more power than a full stadium of deeply discounted seats and a thin set of boosters and a middling staff. 2023 was to be the year we demonstrated (while we had the attention of BY) that we could compete in this space in some basic minimum level of adequacy type way.
I've been pretty optimistic about at least the chance to turn football around. I don't know if I am anymore. The portal plus NIL plus conference realignment making scheduling more difficult seems like it could be insurmountable.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I've been pretty optimistic about at least the chance to turn football around. I don't know if I am anymore. The portal plus NIL plus conference realignment making scheduling more difficult seems like it could be insurmountable.
And that's why I am sour.

Although I do love our scheduling....even if Mora finds selling it a mixed bag.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom