Non-Key Tweets | Page 807 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
THE SW AIM SHOW
@GSw aim
If academics mattered when it comes to wins and losses and media revenue, the #Pac12 would be third out the P5 behind the #B1G and #ACC, so let's not get crazy thinking you're Ivy League. The B10 is interested in four of the remaining P12 schools, but #Utes not among them.

8:04 PM · Mar 4, 2023
from Oklahoma, USA

Reaction Score
MH ver3@MH ver3
·
40m
Checked with my source regarding B10 proposing half share for ORWA (per Colin Cowherd). My source says B10 won’t expand until at least new commissioner has been hired but this option was discussed at a recent B10 CEO meeting after ORWA approached B10 again.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
19m
BY has had media consultants prepare a PowerPoint for next weeks conference meeting showcasing the value of B12 basketball if decoupled from next contract.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
19m
I’m told it’s quite eye-opening at what the value could be on the open market-especially if Turner wants a piece.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
20m
Media consultants estimating an 18 team basketball league including some new all sports additions and Gonzaga and just one team in the New England area BB only could be worth nearly $250m per year.

Reaction Score
MH ver3@MH ver3
·
40m
Checked with my source regarding B10 proposing half share for ORWA (per Colin Cowherd). My source says B10 won’t expand until at least new commissioner has been hired but this option was discussed at a recent B10 CEO meeting after ORWA approached B10 again.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
19m
BY has had media consultants prepare a PowerPoint for next weeks conference meeting showcasing the value of B12 basketball if decoupled from next contract.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
19m
I’m told it’s quite eye-opening at what the value could be on the open market-especially if Turner wants a piece.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
20m
Media consultants estimating an 18 team basketball league including some new all sports additions and Gonzaga and just one team in the New England area BB only could be worth nearly $250m per year.
Makes no sense that the B12 basketball is undervalued when they just signed a new deal like yesterday.

Reaction Score
Makes no sense that the B12 basketball is undervalued when they just signed a new deal like yesterday.
Deal was combined basketball, football, + olympic sports in one deal. It is believed that uncoupling basketball from football as separate deal would be more money e.g. current deal is $250 million / year (I am making numbers up so please don't check me on this) but football and basketball on separate deals with different TV networks would be $200 million / year + $100 million / year = $300 million / year.

That's the theory and the NCAA is in the midst of doing the same thing with the NCAA Women's March Madness which has been attached to the Men's tournament for decades.

Reaction Score
Deal was combined basketball, football, + olympic sports in one deal. It is believed that uncoupling basketball from football as separate deal would be more money e.g. current deal is $250 million / year (I am making numbers up so please don't check me on this) but football and basketball on separate deals with different TV networks would be $200 million / year + $100 million / year = $300 million / year.

That's the theory and the NCAA is in the midst of doing the same thing with the NCAA Women's March Madness which has been attached to the Men's tournament for decades.

Not sure what you are saying here.... the NCAA Women's tournament (ESPN/Disney) and NCAA Men's tournament (CBS/Viacom) have been separate media deals for decades.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure what you are saying here.... the NCAA Women's tournament (ESPN/Disney) and NCAA Men's tournament (CBS/Viacom) have been separate media deals for decades.
I’m pretty sure that they were actually leased together to CBS, who in turn “sublet” the rights to the women’s conference to ESPN.

Reaction Score

What people seem to ignore is that college basketball is more valuable than perceived. Why? Almost hal
You are correct about the women's tournament being with ESPN, but the women's tournament is bundled with the championships of basically all other college sports as well as the international rights to the NCAA men's tournament. What is expected to change is that the women't tournament will be unbundled from the other college sports in the future and it will bring in more money than the bundle does today.

Reaction Score
You are correct about the women's tournament being with ESPN, but the women's tournament is bundled with the championships of basically all other college sports as well as the international rights to the NCAA men's tournament. What is expected to change is that the women't tournament will be unbundled from the other college sports in the future and it will bring in more money than the bundle does today.
Yes I was about to add that in after the response to my first response. ESPN bids on it in concert with the other rights right now, which may serve to limit the field of bidders as NBC may not have the same interest in securing the broadcast rights to Men's Tennis (or perhaps with Peacock they now would) as ESPN.

Reaction Score
MH ver3@MH ver3
·
2h
On the eve of a significant B12 meeting got a few tidbits to offer up

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
2h
We are back at 4 basketball only schools that are in discussions with joining. 1 out west, 3 in the east.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
2h
B12 in very serious talks with 4 of the 6 PAC schools that BY has met with in the past 3 days. 2 of those 4 are ready to jump as soon as they get confirmation a better deal isn’t coming for PAC.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
2h
BY presentation details how he and consultants believe that B12 can close the gap with the B10/SEC considerably with the next contract and has projections showing $50-$60m per year for all sports schools from tv deals alone.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
2h
The high variance is reflective of a myriad of different expansion options and scenarios. None of those involve WA and OR.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
2h
Hearing no one in PAC will be making any movement until a final tv deal is on the table.

Reaction Score
@ MH ver3:

BY recommended to B12 CEOs today that we expand by 4 in basketball and Olympic sports. Schools he has had the most serious discussions with are Gonzaga, Villanova, UConn and St John’s (a late addition after Seton Hall talks cooled).
Marquette, Georgetown, and Creighton have also been in talks but certain factors relegated them lower.

Marquette has great support and a decent market but the allure of NYC market was too great to put them ahead of St John’s.

Georgetown would have been a shoe-in 20 years ago. Sadly their support has dwindled and WVU already has a partial claim to DC DMA.

Creighton was also a duplicate market for us but had a lot of other positives as well.
This is up to the CEOs now. BY has given his recommendation and backed it up with research from B12 media consultants. This would be HUGE for the next contract cycle when we decouple basketball.

UConn came back to the table after walking to propose a scheduling agreement with some B12 programs not to dissimilar from what ND does with ACC (just not at the same frequency and UConn is not too keen on going too far west to play).

Clarifying previous tweet. UConn proposed a football scheduling agreement since they will not be joining in FB if invited in other sports.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
@ MH ver3:

BY recommended to B12 CEOs today that we expand by 4 in basketball and Olympic sports. Schools he has had the most serious discussions with are Gonzaga, Villanova, UConn and St John’s (a late addition after Seton Hall talks cooled).
Marquette, Georgetown, and Creighton have also been in talks but certain factors relegated them lower.

Marquette has great support and a decent market but the allure of NYC market was too great to put them ahead of St John’s.

Georgetown would have been a shoe-in 20 years ago. Sadly their support has dwindled and WVU already has a partial claim to DC DMA.

Creighton was also a duplicate market for us but had a lot of other positives as well.
This is up to the CEOs now. BY has given his recommendation and backed it up with research from B12 media consultants. This would be HUGE for the next contract cycle when we decouple basketball.

UConn came back to the table after walking to propose a scheduling agreement with some B12 programs not to dissimilar from what ND does with ACC (just not at the same frequency and UConn is not too keen on going too far west to play).

Clarifying previous tweet. UConn proposed a football scheduling agreement since they will not be joining in FB if invited in other sports.
so let me get this straight:
Georgetown isn't invited because support has dwindled & the Mounties have a partial claim to DC demographic. St. Johns IS invited for the NYC metric, even though UConn resonates much more in the Apple. RIGHT?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@ MH ver3:

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Reaction Score
Scheduling lets say two big 12 teams at the rent a year would certainly help our football program .. but would suck for basketball… so much excitement for basketball this year in the big east…the difference in money must be a lot…I lowered what I think the big east teams would get to 6 to 8 million per school a year… I would think the big 12 would have to offer 10+ a year to steal big east schools

Reaction Score
Scheduling lets say two big 12 teams at the rent a year would certainly help our football program .. but would suck for basketball… so much excitement for basketball this year in the big east…the difference in money must be a lot…I lowered what I think the big east teams would get to 6 to 8 million per school a year… I would think the big 12 would have to offer 10+ a year to steal big east schools
I think you are wrong about basketball. I would trade a steady diet of Kansas, West Va., Oklahoma St., Cinci, et al for Providence, DePaul. Seton Hall. etc. in a heartbeat.
West. Va. & Cinci continues OBE rivalries, & Kansas is THE blue blood of blue bloods. Okie St. has a rich history in hoops.

Reaction Score
I think joining the big 12 would hurt our recruiting…and flying all over the country… playing teams we don’t have a history with…we might even lose Hurley… i love the games in the the big east..but that said…if villanova goes.. then it might be in our best interest too follow them

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think you are wrong about basketball. I would trade a steady diet of Kansas, West Va., Oklahoma St., Cinci, et al for Providence, DePaul. Seton Hall. etc. in a heartbeat.
West. Va. & Cinci continues OBE rivalries, & Kansas is THE blue blood of blue bloods. Okie St. has a rich history in hoops.
Agreed.

Some fans are confusing lack of excitement with our program due to the combination of poor results and a conference entirely composed of schools that provided mininal national attention with ot being affiliated with a number of schools that we had been affiliated with for a few decades.

If somehow we moved with WVU to the B-12 a decade ago fan interest would not have fallen off a cliff the way it did in the AAC, even if we did fall into the rut as a program that we did in the AAC. In fact, we may have acted quicker in the necessary change.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
Agreed.

Some fans are confusing lack of excitement with our program due to the combination of poor results and a conference entirely composed of schools that provided mininal national attention with ot being affiliated with a number of schools that we had been affiliated with for a few decades.

If somehow we moved with WVU to the B-12 a decade ago fan interest would not have fallen off a cliff the way it did in the AAC, even if we did fall into the rut as a program that we did in the AAC. In fact, we may have acted quicker in the necessary change.
Best conference in the country right now.

Reaction Score
@ MH ver3:

No idea if true, but I like it for UConn. Give us 2-4 football games a year which are H/H as part of the deal, plus bowl tie-in.

Reaction Score
@ MH ver3:

"UConn came back to the table after walking to propose a scheduling agreement with some B12 programs .... and UConn is not too keen on going too far west to play)"
Possible interpretation: UConn more keen on some football scheduling with fellow state flagship universities, e.g., WVU and KU, and other universities with better locations for travel and prospective football recruiting purposes, e.g., Cinci, UCF, TCU, and Houston. Even with charter flights, less keen on football opponents requiring longer flights to/fro Lubbock, Waco, Stillwater, Little Manhattan, Ames, and Provo.

Reaction Score
I think joining the big 12 would hurt our recruiting…and flying all over the country… playing teams we don’t have a history with…we might even lose Hurley… i love the games in the the big east..but that said…if villanova goes.. then it might be in our best interest too follow them
I strongly disagree with this supposition. Look at UConn's history. Jim Calhoun, when he was hired, said that he wanted to make the Huskies a NATIONAL program.
He recruited all over the country (Donnie Marshall from Washington, Emeka Okafor from Houston, Kevin Ollie from Los Angeles, etc.) Big time recruits, as a rule, want to play for established programs with successful & charismatic coaches against top competition. If UConn moves to the XII, ALL the above boxes are checked.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom