Non-Key Tweets | Page 736 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with Nelson. If you remove Texas and Oklahoma from the football side of The Big 12, I don't see the schools left behind moving the needle anymore than the top programs of The AAC.

The appeal of a program like Ok State or Texas Tech is in watching them match up against UT or OU. Outside of a very concentrated area of the country the average college football fan would be no more inclined to watch OSU match up with Baylor, than they would be to watch UCF versus USF, or Boise State versus Utah State. You could say the same thing about most conferences, but the fate of The Big 12 is more tied to these two programs than any other.

If UT and OU did bolt for The B1G it might be to the benefit of the left behind programs to seek their best deals including to and up to forming new smaller regional conferences. Hypothetically 9 teams playing an 8 game round robin. These conferences could coordinate to have their champions face off in a playoff for a NY6 auto bid.

Hypothetical Realignment-

East Conference: Army, Navy, WVU, CT, Temple, Cincy, Memphis, UCF, USF

West Conference: KU, KSU, ISU, OSU, TT, Baylor, TCU, UH, SMU.

I included independents like Army because they bring TV Value, The AAC because their mulling of a GOR could cause programs to look elsewhere in a few years, and The Big 12 which would essentially be a loosely affiliated group of teams without UT and OU. I left out schools like Tulsa, Tulane, and ECU because their total athletic departments are more in line with programs in Conference USA and The Sunbelt.

Play 8 games within your conference and schedule the other 4 from P5's, Regional G5's, FCS, etc.

A UConn schedule like this makes more sense to me. 8 Home 4 Away some years, 7 Home 5 Away others. Short of getting into The B1G or ACC something like this would probably stir up more interest than what is currently happening.

H-FCS Regional
A-Cincy
H-FBS Regional (Rutgers)
H G5 Regional (Umass)
A-USF
A-Army
H-Memphis
H-Navy
H-UCF
A-TCU
A-WVU
H-Temple
If our future is non-P4, I’m ok with this.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 8h8 hours ago
Big 12 is not expanding. AAC Commish attempting to get a GOR among its schools is too gain a little more leverage when negotiating next AAC Media deal + give AAC major leverage if/when Big 12 needs to backfill from being poached (B1G).

Ray Borelli‏ @Ray_Borelli 8h8 hours ago
Replying to @flugempire
Agree. Although could be motivating factor for Big 12 to consider adding 2 now as a counter to that leverage. Move would backfire on Aresco in that case. Risky in that sense + unequal revenue is never good.

ESPN paid Big 12 more money not to expand. FOX has zero interest..for reasons I have touched upon. Big 12 won’t be expanding..and I don’t think AAC GOR gets done.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 2h2 hours ago
Most important and lasting mark OU President James Gallogly will leave is that his Presidency happened at all. Oklahoma’s BOR wanted to make a clean cut from past. Oklahoma is going into a different direction. If Gallogly lasts 1 more year or 6 more it’s “change” that won.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 8h8 hours ago
it looks as if the Big 12 and Pac 12 are working on some type of arrangement where they combine their TV rights for the their next media deals and create a new type of conference network out of the ashes of P12N. 1 of 2

But don't call it a merger... both the B12 and P12 would retain their separate conference identities. They would just combine media rights and play each other a lot... like a whole lot.

And the talk right now is LHN would remain separate with the hope the Longhorns would eventually join the new joint T3 media offering.

Tim Riordan‏ @Plain_Old_Tim 8h8 hours ago
hmmm... I guess it would be attractive given the time zone coverage, you're literally buying 18 straight hours of football. But I'm not sure if the whole would be worth more than the sum of the parts.

Replying to @Plain_Old_Tim
My take is that ESPN would go for it... cross conference matchups would be must see TV. Even more of an indicator that WVU needs to land in the ACC though.

Janet Currie‏ @currie2 7h7 hours ago
Sorry, I wasn’t clear, what I intended to ask was what are the chances of WVU moving to a different conference? The increased travel further west would be a killer for us, in my opinion, and I’ve really come to dislike the Big 12.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 7h7 hours ago
The Big 12 has been very good for WVU. A scheduling arrangement with the Pac 12 might not effect WVU at all as I'm certain P12 schools would be as reluctant to head east as WVU is to head west.

Janet Currie‏ @currie2 7h7 hours ago
Thanks. I don’t disagree with you and I’m happy to know that they can do this agreement without forcing increased travel on us. I still have some concerns about the conference, but you brought up changing conferences first. Why?

Ancillary reasons... ACC is a better fit, closer, thus more fans at ways games, more local interest in games with local teams and long established rivalries, more sponsorship opportunities (think Backyard Brawl & Black Diamond Trophy).

Julius Johnson‏ @JuliusJ85224635 4h4 hours ago
I still don’t understand why Notre Dame would want to join the ACC and why the other Power 5 Programs would want to try to force Notre Dame to join the ACC. No incentives that I can see from any direction except from our own here at WVU.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 2h2 hours ago
ND, as a wild card, potentially steals a playoff spot from the P5 schools.

Any Big 12 - Pac 12 deal would not benefit WVU, but such a deal would effectively freeze out ND and put more pressure on the Irish to go full in with the ACC.

Jay Brown‏ @JayTLonghorn 7h7 hours ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV
The irony of this is pretty funny. ND has a scheduling agreement with ACC. ESPN helps broker a scheduling agreement (but not merge) between B12/PAC to force ND to 'merge' with a conf...

Imagine that... ESPN moving pieces to add value to its holdings.

What the Big 12 and Pac 12 want to do - their "scheduling agreement" is simply in the best interests of both conferences and likely their best shot at keeping within shouting distance of the SEC.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur Retweeted Nicole Auerbach

https://mobile.twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1072874177596719104 … Playoff Expansion is happening, and it should.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 7h7 hours ago
Greg Flugaur Retweeted Brett McMurphy

https://mobile.twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1072896077274206208 … This is incorrect. Expansion to 8 would not have to end CCG’s. Actually..it would increase the value of CCG’s..making them auto bids to 8 team playoffs.

“Neinas’ eight-team model would include five Power 5 conference champions, top Group of 5 champion and two at-large spots. Conference championship games would be eliminated. The regular season would end the weekend after Thanksgiving, with quarterfinal games played on campuses”

How would SEC, B1G, PAC & ACC determine a conference champion without a CCG? Ridiculous notion. CCG’s are not leaving the landscape of College Football.

shoobie doobie doowah‏ @Expansion_Crush 2h2 hours ago
They've already been sold well past the end of the current CFB playoff deal

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 2h2 hours ago
Replying to @Expansion_Crush
Very true.

If this new 8 team playoff did pass with *best* G5 team receiving a slot in new playoff system I wonder if this would push AAC and ESPN to attempt to expand AAC footprint to BYU & Boise State? Something to ponder.

Josh Johnson‏ @jsjohnson78 7h7 hours ago
Josh Johnson Retweeted Greg Flugaur

A change to an 8 team playoff would probably push ND to the ACC and BYU to either the AAC or back to the MWC. But until access to the playoff, not just a meaningless NY6 exhibition game, is actually viable there's no reason for BYU to move.

Grizzfan‏ @ImaDepper 6h6 hours ago
Replying to @flugempire
AAC and Aresco should be doing this already, can't figure out why they haven't moved on this. BYU will never get a P5 invite, and their ESPN deal ends soon. 2 good football schools. Figure out the Olympic sports and get it done.

former benchwarmer ‘tec‏ @davidmarcus__ 6h6 hours ago
Replying to @flugempire
SDSU & Boise? They were the ones who were supposed to join but Boise balked last time when Tulane was added.

W. Jackson‏ @WesJacksonUSF 6h6 hours ago
Replying to @ImaDepper @flugempire
All dependent of TV deal. Right nowBYU makes much more than current AAC contract. Boise about the same with uneven revenue from MWC. AAC strikes s deal that is worth 8-10 mil all that changes for sure.

Matt Smith‏ @MattSmithCFB 5h5 hours ago
In an 8-team playoff in 2016, 12-0 Alabama would be locked into a top 4 seed, so it could rest starters for the SEC Championship Game, and then 8-3 Florida could steal an automatic bid against backups. So stupid.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 5h5 hours ago
Replying to @MattSmithCFB
The same scenario was alive this year in SEC CCG. But Bama wanted to win SEC and did not fold up. I think you are seeing ghosts where there is none.

Replying to @MattSmithCFB
These schools want to win their Conference titles. There won’t be any folding up. HC’s make too much in bonuses in their contracts for Conference Championships. You can’t eliminate CCG’s and playoffs will expand to 8.

Reaction Score
MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 6h6 hours ago
Have been away doing holiday related things and was going to update you all on some things and then this broke. https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/12/12/two-reasons-college-football-is-making-playoff-expansion-push/amp/ … told you so
https://nypost.com/2018/12/12/two-reasons-college-football-is-making-playoff-expansion-push/

Antitrust and collusion suits were being prepared spearheaded by UCF and Aresco. 8 team playoff will have auto bids for P5 champs. It’s the only way they will agree to it.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 Nov 20
My former Big East contact is telling me that as soon as the Playoff committee makes there final selections and excludes UCF(if they are still unbeaten) then Aresco will be pursuing anti-trust litigation.

Duke Silver‏ @Goazendons Dec 7
This still happening?

Replying to @Goazendons
It is most def still happening but the push for an 8 team playoff is very much about stifling these suits. Also keeps Ohio State happy

In other rumblings I’m hearing B12 expansion will be a heated topic between presidents and ADs this offseason with many now favoring adding 4 (assuming AZ schools are coming) and scaling back to 8 conference games.

UCF is a clear favorite to be included due to state population, recruiting opportunities, alumni size, and recent success on field.

Number 4 is still a who’s who of previous candidates but don’t rule out another Pac12 school to join the AZ duo.

In expanded playoff selection look for highest ranked G5 conference champ to get auto bid as well leaving 2 at large bids that along with seeding will keep ranking committee relevant

This is the plan that has been presented already to espn.

At large bids Keeps SEC and ND happy with the latter able to retain their independent status and not be forced to join a conference.

josh hammer‏ @Josh_A_Hammer 6h6 hours ago
so AZ, ASU, UCF, UC?

Replying to @Josh_A_Hammer
Really no clue who the 4th would be until discussions start in earnest. And UCF could get shuffled out if Pac12 raiding picks up steam: B10 still wants more schools and UT and OU have said no.

Just a reminder where you heard it first
DuPIVoUW4AAtf76.jpg

DuPIVoVW0AE_7lB.jpg

Also do not believe what you hear of B12 and P12 trying to jointly leverage their tv rights in the next go round. B12 is going for blood and will not help to boost the value of P12 at the expense of their own.

David #BeatUtah‏ @Taquineur 6h6 hours ago
Why on earth would the AZ schools join the Big12? I'm just not seeing it.

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 5h5 hours ago
Replying to @Taquineur
Money. Both schools would make substantially more now and projected $10-$15 million more per year after the next tv contract is negotiated.

Zach Mauch‏ @zachmauch 5h5 hours ago
Where would the first round be played? I would think you would have to give home games to the top 4 seeds. Too much travel once you pass 4 teams. Also, that would mean that you could keep everything else the same (new years bowls).

MH ver3‏ @MH ver3 5h5 hours ago
Replying to @zachmauch
That’s something I haven’t heard a lot about. Home playoff games would be a HUGE revenue creator for schools

Reaction Score
Just a week ago, the CFP Exec. Director stated that there had been zero conversation about expanding the playoff...

"There's been no talk about a format change in the meetings of the commissioners and the presidents who manage the CFP," Hancock told ESPN. "This was the kind of debate we wanted when we created the playoff. We wanted diverse opinions, we wanted people who wouldn't hesitate to state their feelings, and man, we got it."

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 5h5 hours ago
Ya'll should know by now I don't say what's popular just to be liked by any fan base. The chatter about the Big 12's regret at not adding UCF is coming from Big 12 contacts.

You should not be surprised to learn that the Big 12 would love to have that Oklahoma - Texas CCG each and every year. What's the best way to accomplish that?

I would be shocked if the Big 12 doesn't seriously consider expansion again in 2025.

And this is where I remind you that the Big 12 paid Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures a ton of money to do a market analysis of G5 schools and was told that UCF/USF combo was the most valuable.

And while I'm at it let me also remind you that the Big 12 hired Navigate Research and was told it 62% chance of reaching the playoffs if it stays at 10 members & a 75% with 12 members and two divisions.

If UCF can continue to be successful they will be just as attractive in 2025 as Arizona and Arizona State if not more attractive due to the recruiting base in Florida.

The odds are stacked against UCF or any G5 school, but at least what was considered not possible may be possible in 2025.

Now I have to make two sets of fans mad. Cincinatti and UCONN will never be on the Big 12's radar. WVU does not want to elevate UC to P5 status. UCONN... football...

Remember the Big 12 is made up of two factions... schools that line up behind what Texas wants and schools that line up behind what OU wants. You have TTU, TCU and WVU usually voting with Texas. That's enough votes to blackball anyone.

I want UCF and USF. But the main problem I see with expanding into Florida is ESPN. ESPN would have little incentive to push those two programs into Power 5 status in Florida. But I say we do for it as long as we don’t cause injury to Big 12 my getting ESPN pissed.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 4h4 hours ago
Yes, ESPN already has the SEC Fla market and the ACC Fla market. They do not want the Big 12 in Fla.

So you are thinking a different Media company moves in for Big 12. Gotcha. I like where you are going with this.

Replying to @JuliusJ85224635
No, I think the Big 12 damaged its relationship with Fox and that it will resign with ESPN and an online distributer.

Replying to @JuliusJ85224635
I also think that if FSU and Miami continue to struggle that UCF's value to ESPN will increase... IF... big ifs...

GREG SW AIM SHOW‏ @GSw aim 23h23 hours ago
Conference realignment sabre rattling begins, as #FightOn, #UCLA, #SunDevils, #BearDown among the #Pac12 schools making Commish Larry Scott and other conference members nervous with "quiet early talks" with the #Big12. Schools very concerned about TV deals and the #CFBPlayoff

Reaction Score
The P5 likely are taking a very close look at how Louisville, Rutgers, and to a lesser extent Maryland have ended up being poor additions in certain capacities. RU is obviously a competitive disaster for the B1G and has not moved the TV needle. UL has been a PR disaster for the ACC, while being competitively average. MD hasn't caused major headaches, outside of the Durkin situation, but also hasn't really added much to the B1G.

I think the P5 are now very wary of the adds that they consider and want to be sure the additions realistically will bring a return on and off the court instead of being speculative and an attempt to "get into a TV market." That's not necessarily a positive for UConn, too.

Reaction Score
The B1G doesn't care if Rutgers or Maryland succeed or not. It was all about money and to a lesser extent recruiting territory and AAU. If either program can become a powerhouse with B1G resources, that would just be icing on the cake, but it's not why they were added. Rutgers has sucked at most sports, as they always have. However, lumping Maryland in with Rutgers is wrong. Maryland is middle of the pack in football and one of the more tradition rich basketball schools in the B1G. Maryland is also a powerhouse in several Olympic sports and has won several national championships in a few different Olympic sports since joining the B1G, including men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse (twice) and just a couple weeks ago - men's soccer. Maryland has also won 17 B1G Conference Championships across all sports since joining the B1G, while Rutgers has not won any B1G Conference Championships in any sport. You cannot lump Rutgers and Maryland together in terms of on the field performance.

Reaction Score
A conference addition is sometimes called a 50 year choice....

Short term events may have influence but I would think that there is a good deal of thought given to the long term fit.

Reaction Score
If they are now saying that they'll adding UCF in 2025, what happens if UCF hire a Bob Draco type coach in 2022 and goes 0-22 in '23 and '24? And UConn goes 22-0?

It could happen...

Reaction Score
If they are now saying that they'll adding UCF in 2025, what happens if UCF hire a Bob Draco type coach in 2022 and goes 0-22 in '23 and '24? And UConn goes 22-0?

It could happen...

Exactly, if Louisville was still in the AAC today instead of the ACC, would any conference even take their call right now?

Reaction Score
Keep in mind Christopher Lambert lives in his mom's basement and is never right about anything.........

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The P5 likely are taking a very close look at how Louisville, Rutgers, and to a lesser extent Maryland have ended up being poor additions in certain capacities. RU is obviously a competitive disaster for the B1G and has not moved the TV needle.
Of course RU was a financial goldmine by giving the B10 the ability to elevated in the coveted NYC DMA. Yeah RU is a competitive suckfest, but they were brought in for geography, not competitive sports. By that measure, which is the measure used by the B10 front office RU has been a ringing success.

Reaction Score
Of course RU was a financial goldmine by giving the B10 the ability to elevated in the coveted NYC DMA. Yeah RU is a competitive suckfest, but they were brought in for geography, not competitive sports. By that measure, which is the measure used by the B10 front office RU has been a ringing success.

And Academic prestge and money. Of all of the conferences out their, the B1G is serious about its academics. Afterall, the B1G did not invite John Hopkins to join just for their solid lacrosse program. Rutgers is AAU and with its merger with UMDNJ brought a lot of research dollars to the B1G, especially in health sciences where Rutgers has a natural history due to J&J, BMS, etc. Oh, in case it was forgotten, Rutgers is part of the country's largest and most influiential business and media hub While I am sure the B1G would like to see Rutgers show-up on the field once in a while and the earlier scandals were not good, their are very happy with Rutgers.

CL82

Reaction Score
Rutgers is AAU and with its merger with UMDNJ brought a lot of research dollars to the B1G, especially in health sciences where Rutgers has a natural history due to J&J, BMS, etc.
Agree. RU brought the NYC DMA plus another 3M or so in additional potential subscribers (9M total population in NJ vs. 3M in CT), AAU status, and was contiguous. CT brought the NYC DMA, plus another million or so additional subscribers (FFC is @ 2M and already in the NYC DMA) and great men's and women's basketball but wasn't AAU or contiguous. The B1G chose RU.

Regarding the quote above, is this just speculation? I remember vaguely that hospital money 'doesn't count' for AAU research, though I don't remember why.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Agree. RU brought the NYC DMA plus another 3M or so in additional potential subscribers (9M total population in NJ vs. 3M in CT), AAU status, and was contiguous. CT brought the NYC DMA, plus another million or so additional subscribers (FFC is @ 2M and already in the NYC DMA) and great men's and women's basketball but wasn't AAU or contiguous. The B1G chose RU.

Regarding the quote above, is this just speculation? I remember vaguely that hospital money 'doesn't count' for AAU research, though I don't remember why.

It all depends on how the system is organized. That was the big issue with Nebraska. Their research hospital was put under a different campus and they couldn’t count that in their metrics. Here’s the thing, if the Michigan; and Wisconsin (the schools that wanted Nebraska out and led the charge) wanted them in, the hospital wouldn’t have mattered. It was the means for removing them. Rutgers was already part of the AAU before they were granted the hospital system so it really didn’t matter to the Big10 schools.

I would love having UConn in the Big10 right now. Games against you all would be a blast, especially with the success we’ve had lately. Achieving your status as a basketball power would be an honor.

Reaction Score
GREG SW AIM SHOW‏ @GSw aim 4h4 hours ago
There will most definitely be additional conference realignment in the next several years, prompted by new television deals. However, there are already talks going on behind the scenes...get ready!!

shane‏ @fire37water 3h3 hours ago
Replying to @GSw aim
No Pac12. SEC or B10 for the Sooners.

GREG SW AIM SHOW‏ @GSw aim 3h3 hours ago
GREG SWAIM SHOW Retweeted shane

#B1G wants #KUbball and #Sooners so bad they can taste it, and #Big12 may lose OU while they are busy courting #FightOn, #UCLA, #SunDevils and #BearDown. They don't want the entire Pac12...not a cultural or political fit.

Reaction Score
It all depends on how the system is organized. That was the big issue with Nebraska. Their research hospital was put under a different campus and they couldn’t count that in their metrics. Here’s the thing, if the Michigan; and Wisconsin (the schools that wanted Nebraska out and led the charge) wanted them in, the hospital wouldn’t have mattered. It was the means for removing them. Rutgers was already part of the AAU before they were granted the hospital system so it really didn’t matter to the Big10 schools.

I would love having UConn in the Big10 right now. Games against you all would be a blast, especially with the success we’ve had lately. Achieving your status as a basketball power would be an honor.

Its a good point. A while back, someone told me that there's also a division between medical dollars used for actual procedures, say open heard surgery, versus dollars spend on pharma and medical sciences. I do not know the numbers; but, with Merck, J&J, BMS, Celgene, etc. all in Rutgers' backyard, I have to assume there is a lot of money spend on health sciences at Rutgers.

As for Rutgers itself, Rutgers was established as a private college back in Colonial days and was later bailed out of bankruptcy by the State of New Jersey and emerged as a strange pubic-private university that in time became the state's flagship land-grand university. UMDNJ was established by the state entirely separate from Rutgers; but, the two grew closer over time before the state finally merged then a few years back.

CL82

Reaction Score
As for Rutgers itself, Rutgers was established as a private college back in Colonial days and was later bailed out of bankruptcy by the State of New Jersey
Sort of. That conflates the Queens College history which had been closed for a few years before it's assets were bought by the school that became Rutgers, IIRC.

Reaction Score
Its a good point. A while back, someone told me that there's also a division between medical dollars used for actual procedures, say open heard surgery, versus dollars spend on pharma and medical sciences. I do not know the numbers; but, with Merck, J&J, BMS, Celgene, etc. all in Rutgers' backyard, I have to assume there is a lot of money spend on health sciences at Rutgers.

As for Rutgers itself, Rutgers was established as a private college back in Colonial days and was later bailed out of bankruptcy by the State of New Jersey and emerged as a strange pubic-private university that in time became the state's flagship land-grand university. UMDNJ was established by the state entirely separate from Rutgers; but, the two grew closer over time before the state finally merged then a few years back.

Reaction Score
Ifunny part about that merge was Rutgers fans were not happy about that at the time.

Reaction Score
Does Bowlsby and Big 12 Presidents, outside of OU & UT, understand if Delany gets his way and CFB playoffs expand to 8 sooner rather than later its makes Big 10 Conf Expansion to 16 schools that much more palatable to its intended targets? BTM dinner first week of January. ;)

Erich Keithly‏ @ekeithly_1 7h7 hours ago
Replying to @flugempire
Why would OU and UT want to go through UM, tOSU, Nebraska, and Wisconsin for that autobid? Unless the case is made the no autobid or B12 doesnt get one.

There would be also be 3 wildcards...not just auto bids.

Erich Keithly‏ @ekeithly_1 7h7 hours ago
Except OU has found winning the B12 a relatively easy task over the years. I am all in for OU to B1G, but I look back how many years OU could have been in with that rule and its a good number. It gave OU the chance to mulligen after rough non-con

Doug‏ @NebGradDubDub 5h5 hours ago
Replying to @flugempire
Those teams are splintering to the B10 or merging with the P12. IMO

They are looking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members