Non-Key Tweets | Page 615 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
I've worked in television for almost 30 years. To produce a game at Rentschler is not very difficult. You don't even need to have the announcers there. Just a small truck and enough fiber lines. The right switchers and graphics and it can be produced very inexpensively.

Channel 3 produced & broadcast the very first game from the Rent vs IU.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I've worked in television for almost 30 years. To produce a game at Rentschler is not very difficult. You don't even need to have the announcers there. Just a small truck and enough fiber lines. The right switchers and graphics and it can be produced very inexpensively.

I'd never worry about production, it's distribution and server space that's the issue.

Reaction Score
image.jpeg

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know nothing about him...but last of talk on his twitter.

And here is is latest column. Warning you know, he reads like Whaler11.
Why ESPN and Fox don't want to pay for any planned Big 12 expansion

Andy StaplesVerified account‏@Andy_Staples
Andy Staples Retweeted Del Abramson

Sheer population matters when selling subscriptions to X people for X cents a month. This is about owning your town.

You mean he wrote an article summarizing every point I made over the past 3 weeks? Good now you guys can go argue with him on Twitter.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
You disagree that NBC is known for being cheap when acquiring sports rights? Ok I guess you can invent a different perception than the industry has had for at least a decade.

They do have extra time. The difference between the EPL and AAC on extra time is for the AAC they would have to produce the game themselves which is very different than the EPL. And oh yeah the AAC would actually want some of their games to be on things that people watch.

Can you even imagine going to recruit a kid and trying to explain it's better that your games are on NBC's extra time app - if someone happens to have a log in.

they weren't cheap when they blew ESPN and FOX out of the soccer waters. But back then, the AAC was a new league and they weren't going to throw money at it. If they did have it, games would not be on extra time( which I get as part of my FRONTIER cable package), but would be on NBC, then NBSCSports network, then USA network, etc. Extra time would never need to come up because scheduling around Notre Dame would be easy with 6 or 7 (Ivy League) games on a Saturday. (and not all would be on national tv anyway.)

Reaction Score
Yesterday I was feeling very good about an invite. Today it seems like a complete 180.

I said a few days ago I thought this would end with 2 schools being added, neither of which would be UConn. I'm back to that, and starting to lean toward no expansion at all.

Consider what we actually know (it ain't much):

• This all came up very suddenly after a lot of established media people had expansion dead and buried.
  • The Big 12 has always had this clause in their contract and it never prompted them to expand before. And they've always been very partial to their 10 team round robin format. And they can have a championship game now, without adding anyone.
  • The "favorites" according to various writers have changed almost daily, with the exception of BYU and Cincy which were everyone's predetermined leaders before any of this even started, so that could just be momentum.
  • ESPN and Fox are against expansion altogether. What's more, the Big 12 doesn't seem to particularly love any of the available candidates.
  • There has been almost no legitimate information leaking anywhere regarding contact from the Big 12 to the candidate schools, yet we hear that they want this done in time for football season. Then yesterday we randomly find out UConn got a call to set up a meeting to "gauge their interest".
  • Texas and OU must realize that the ACC network is a big risk for ESPN, and it's probably the last TV based network that will be created. Texas doesn't need a network, and OU probably realizes they can punch their ticket wherever they want in less than a decade, despite what some posters around here say about their value. They're OU.

This sure seems like a bluff. The Big 12 didn't start these evaluations weeks ago, they started at least months ago. Why go public that they're opening up expansion talks? I think it's to get some free money.

Why doesn't anyone seem to know anything? Are they really doing that well at sealing off leaks? Or is there just nothing to leak?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Worth noting that there are conflicting reports about how FOX feels about expansion.

Do you have a link that shows Fox isn't anti-expansion? Or something more positive than less negative about expansion than ESPN?

Reaction Score
Do you have a link that shows Fox isn't anti-expansion? Or something more positive than less negative about expansion than ESPN?

Five industry sources weigh in on top candidates to join Big 12; ESPN and Fox not thrilled with expansion talks | SportsDay

News about the Big 12 using the pro rata clause as a bargaining chip surfaced in early June, and even the conference was engaged in discussions with Fox and ESPN through its consultants. In other words, none of this is a surprise and the networks' public displeasure probably represents a lot of posturing. Multiple sources indicated that Fox actually may be more open to expansion since it would increase game inventory.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
And here is is latest column. Warning you know, he reads like Whaler11.
Why ESPN and Fox don't want to pay for any planned Big 12 expansion

Andy StaplesVerified account‏@Andy_Staples
Andy Staples Retweeted Del Abramson

Sheer population matters when selling subscriptions to X people for X cents a month. This is about owning your town.

I am sure that Big 12 people are looking into whether or not UConn can really deliver the volume. Can we get XX cents a month from the NYC DMA? If we can, we are in and it's not close. No other candidate comes remotely close to bringing New York plus Connecticut sized population numbers.

Here is what we know about market share in the northeast:

1. UConn, without question, owns the Hartford/New Haven market. #30 DMA in the country is bigger than #34 Cincinnati...and there is no question that UC is #2 in their own home market. The same can be said about every single other AAC candidate. Memphis doesn't own Memphis. Houston doesn't own Houston. UCF/Orlando. USF/Tampa. ECU/yeah...I'm just joking. I *think* BYU's "home market is Salt Lake City...I would say they own that but I really don't know how much Utah/Utah St/BYU battles fall into line. So, really, there is one school that can 100% guarantee its home market.

2. We are a Top 5 followed football program in New York and Boston. Do we deliver either of these cities based on that? Probably not. That would be like someone suggesting UMass could deliver Hartford/New Haven. Here's where the lines blur a bit though: basketball. UConn (and Syracuse) own the New York city college basketball landscape. Our Big East roots at Madison Square Garden not only has given our NYC alumni opportunities to see live games, but it has grown a HUGE fanbase in the city as a result. The last time we played at MSG, tickets were more expensive than Final Four tickets that year. Iowa St and Michigan St fans did not stand a chance - the Garden was not going to let UConn lose. I will never forget how loud MSG was for the Michigan State game. I will never forget how a silly Mateen Cleaves vs Rip Hamilton videoboard showdown was the catapult that sparked our comeback. It was as if The Garden video guy was a UConn guy and needed to remind the arena just whose arena it belonged to. Now, don't you think that if UConn football played competitively again (like they are trending back towards doing), those same hoops fans wouldn't tune in a UConn football game? Of course they would. A Pinstripe Bowl with UConn in it (should an ACC/B1G school fail to fill their tie-in) sells out and gives a Penn State type of atmosphere against Boston College.

New York is far more of a college basketball town than it is a college football town. Yet, that hasn't stopped the B1G and ACC to battle over it relentless. And don't forget - the B12 used to have a tie-in to the Pinstripe Bowl only to be nudged out by the B1G/ACC. Wouldn't they want to get a sniff of it again? If one of the afore-mentioned conferences can't fill its spot, wouldn't a UConn/B12 game at Yankee Stadium be fun? You could guarantee 25-30K at least UConn fans in the stands no matter who we play. Not to mention the swell in NYC ratings...for B12 football in New York.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I am sure that Big 12 people are looking into whether or not UConn can really deliver the volume. Can we get XX cents a month from the NYC DMA? If we can, we are in and it's not close. No other candidate comes remotely close to bringing New York plus Connecticut sized population numbers.

1. UConn, without question, owns the Hartford/New Haven market. #30 DMA in the country is bigger than #34 Cincinnati...and there is no question that UC is #2 in their own home market. The same can be said about every single other AAC candidate. Memphis doesn't own Memphis. Houston doesn't own Houston. UCF/Orlando. USF/Tampa. ECU/yeah...I'm just joking. I *think* BYU's "home market is Salt Lake City...I would say they own that but I really don't know how much Utah/Utah St/BYU battles fall into line. So, really, there is one school that can 100% guarantee its home market.

2. We are a Top 5 followed football program in New York and Boston. Do we deliver either of these cities based on that? Probably not. That would be like someone suggesting UMass could deliver Hartford/New Haven. Here's where the lines blur a bit though: basketball. UConn (and Syracuse) own the New York city college basketball landscape. Our Big East roots at Madison Square Garden not only has given our NYC alumni opportunities to see live games, but it has grown a HUGE fanbase in the city as a result. The last time we played at MSG, tickets were more expensive than Final Four tickets that year. Iowa St and Michigan St fans did not stand a chance - the Garden was not going to let UConn lose. I will never forget how loud MSG was for the Michigan State game. I will never forget how a silly Mateen Cleaves vs Rip Hamilton videoboard showdown was the catapult that sparked our comeback. It was as if The Garden video guy was a UConn guy and needed to remind the arena just whose arena it belonged to. Now, don't you think that if UConn football played competitively again (like they are trending back towards doing), those same hoops fans wouldn't tune in a UConn football game? Of course they would. A Pinstripe Bowl with UConn in it (should an ACC/B1G school fail to fill their tie-in) sells out and gives a Penn State type of atmosphere against Boston College.

New York is far more of a college basketball town than it is a college football town. Yet, that hasn't stopped the B1G and ACC to battle over it relentless. And don't forget - the B12 used to have a tie-in to the Pinstripe Bowl only to be nudged out by the B1G/ACC. Wouldn't they want to get a sniff of it again? If one of the afore-mentioned conferences can't fill its spot, wouldn't a UConn/B12 game at Yankee Stadium be fun? You could guarantee 25-30K at least UConn fans in the stands no matter who we play. Not to mention the swell in NYC ratings...for B12 football in New York.
Send all of your research to the Big 12 headquarters directly. It certainly won't hurt our chances.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

But there still isn't going to be a network. And unless the Big 12 listens to ESPN and Fox - the ratings don't really matter.

UConn does move the needle in basketball in the city - but the whole regional ticket being more expensive than Final Four tickets... that would pretty much happen any time a regional is in MSG. The giant domes they play Final Fours in are always going to act as a downward force on those ticket prices.

BTW - UConn has played at MSG since the regional final ;).

It would be interesting to see some NYC specific tv ratings - because it's not like it's difficult for people from CT to get there and based on the amount of people I ride the train with it's hard to judge how much of the attendance is people from Connecticut who just enjoy the trip.

Reaction Score
But there still isn't going to be a network. And unless the Big 12 listens to ESPN and Fox - the ratings don't really matter.

UConn does move the needle in basketball in the city - but the whole regional ticket being more expensive than Final Four tickets... that would pretty much happen any time a regional is in MSG. The giant domes they play Final Fours in are always going to act as a downward force on those ticket prices.

BTW - UConn has played at MSG since the regional final ;).

It would be interesting to see some NYC specific tv ratings - because it's not like it's difficult for people from CT to get there and based on the amount of people I ride the train with it's hard to judge how much of the attendance is people from Connecticut who just enjoy the trip.

Reaction Score
I will never understand why being a "travel partner" for WVU has allowed Cincinnati's spot to be so safe and secure in all of this. Who cares if they have a partner? Cincinnati is like Pitt. They are just....there. Not great at anything, but not good enough to be interesting, in a pro sports town where they are 2nd fiddle. Just a whole lot of blah.

I'm so ready for this to be over. The uphill battle we always seem to face every single time is just demoralizing. I just watched a bit of our 2003 game at the Rent vs BC on UConnhuskygames.com. Sold out LOUD crowd as a flagship state school that owns the #30 market and is smack in the middle between NYC/Boston. No one offers that. No one. The lack of imagination of what we were and can be again if given the chance is just maddening.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Send all of your research to the Big 12 headquarters directly. It certainly won't hurt our chances.
I like Flug's anology
UConn in the air
Meaning UConn delivers Markets
BYU on the ground
Meaning BYU sells the most Game Day tickets
They will probably bring thousands even for IS and KS,

Reaction Score
I will never understand why being a "travel partner" for WVU has allowed Cincinnati's spot to be so safe and secure in all of this. Who cares if they have a partner? Cincinnati is like Pitt. They are just....there. Not great at anything, but not good enough to be interesting, in a pro sports town where they are 2nd fiddle. Just a whole lot of blah.

I'm so ready for this to be over. The uphill battle we always seem to face every single time is just demoralizing. I just watched a bit of our 2003 game at the Rent vs BC on UConnhuskygames.com. Sold out LOUD crowd as a flagship state school that owns the #30 market and is smack in the middle between NYC/Boston. No one offers that. No one. The lack of imagination of what we were and can be again if given the chance is just maddening.
I am pretty sure the powers that be are well aware of our potential. As others pointed out, maybe changing your avatar can help snap out of PTSD since we keep looking at a cause of some of the trauma.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The right answer for any conference is UConn and Cinci. The Bearcats really do a great job punching above their weight class.

They were a good rival in the Big East. In the American they have been the only program that is a peer.

If the Big 12 decides to make the long play - they expand by two with UConn and Cincinnati.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom