Non-Key Tweets | Page 613 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yesterday this board was "popping off" wth nothing going on today?"

Maybe everyone is in the air, on the tarmac or already in a secret meeting.

Reaction Score
Watch UConn ticket sales jump when we get the word. We were doing pretty well until Hathaway and his hireling tried to kill the program and we got stuck in gulag conference.
It will work - if you bring in a steady stream of P-5 foes. Asking the UConn faithful to buy tickets when they have to watch the team play in the gulag conference just won't work.

I would guarantee ticket sales would leap up if we got the call. As much as we as fans love to win....for uconn football at this point, its the perspective of the possibility of winning when we play these teams like Houston or Mizzou. That gets fans in the seats. Not East Carolina and Tulane. Getting the call now will get fans excited for the future and in turn, they will begin to buy tickets now, at least to the "good" games this year...UVA, Cuse etc.

The prospect of ANY big 12 team coming to the Rent? The possibility of beating them? The fans want that, and our ticket sales will increase leaps and bounds for the foreseeable future- regardless if we win or lose these games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That is why I sometimes think the idea they manuipulated changes is overstated.

If they did - they cost themselves a lot of money and some valuable content. Made some horrible decisions along the way.

This is more evidence that the outcomes don't align with what seems like logical business outcomes - and saying ESPN would just value the Big 12 purely some day sort of ignores everything we've seen where the money being paid doesn't always align with what things are 'worth'
I think it was a result in 'investment' in a prior decision. There is a tendency to take the next incremental step to make a prior business decision that didn't pan out more profitable. The first step leads to the next and so on until you reach the point where the mistakes of initial decision are obvious and unavoidable.

Although, I haven't chimed in on the discussion yet, I agree that ESPN would remember the Big 12 thumbing their nose at them, just as the Big 12's current expansion is a product of ESPN doing the same to them by giving the ACC a linear network after denying the same to Big 12. The relationship between the two will likely continue to degrade until business need forces one or both to set it aside.

Reaction Score
A&M, Missouri, Colorado and Nebraska would not join a Texas led conference at gunpoint. That is why I am skeptical about any other league's interest in Texas. Why would the SEC or Big 10 ever mess with Texas when they are already making piles of cash?

Because neither would be dependent on Texas. Texas would be in the "nice to have" category.

Reaction Score
Maybe it was put in there back then under the assumption that some P5 schools (ACC?) were going to be available to the Big 12 at some point?

I think the idea was to keep Texas and Oklahoma from moving. Nothing more to it. If schools knew they wouldn't see a drop after adding teams, then they'd feel comfortable in the conference.

Reaction Score
Not on point exactly, but I think ESPN is partially a victim of it's own attempts to manipulate the market. When it's house band, the ACC, was looked vulnerable to poaching, ESPN bank rolled the intial raid on the Big East which appeared intended to butress ACC football while weakening the Big East arguably making it a less expessive commodity. The Big East not only survived it, it continued to thrive, in no small part due to UConn. ESPN offered the Big East a below market contract, perhaps looking to recoup some of the premium paid to the ACC, which the Big East refused. Rather than let Fox get a foothold in the East coast, ESPN funded another raid, boosting its payments to the ACC. Etc..

In the end ESPN cut the "P6" auto qualifers to the P5. When you reduce supply price increases. Now ESPN finds its cashflow and net profit reduced due to the events it started.

Karma is a bitch.

Did we ever find out what scared away NBC or other potential bidders from making a decent offer? Or is that just another deal that we may never know.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Did we ever find out what scared away NBC or other potential bidders from making a decent offer? Or is that just another deal that we may never know.
We'll never know. I think they just decided they are not going to compete in college sports beyond ND.

Reaction Score
I think it was a result in 'investment' in a prior decision. There is a tendency to take the next incremental step to make a prior business decision that didn't pan out more profitable. The first step leads to the next and so on until you reach the point where the mistakes of initial decision are obvious and unavoidable.

Although, I haven't chimed in on the discussion yet, I agree that ESPN would remember the Big 12 thumbing their nose at them, just as the Big 12's current expansion is a product of ESPN doing the same to them by giving the ACC a linear network after denying the same to Big 12. The relationship between the two will likely continue to degrade until business need forces one or both to set it aside.
Excellent posts CL! Several years down the line, the ESPN P5 manipulation seems to be going off track....and they're not too happy about it. I think their outburst may be more about losing control of their desired end result than it is about the unforeseen increased outlay they may be on the hook for. The Big XII is throwing a huge monkey wrench into the gears at ESPN headquarters and they aren't quite sure how to deal with at this point.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Excellent posts CL! Several years down the line, the ESPN P5 manipulation seems to be going off track....and they're not too happy about it. I think their outburst may be more about losing control of their desired end result than it is about the unforeseen increased outlay they may be on the hook for. The Big XII is throwing a huge monkey wrench into the gears at ESPN headquarters and they aren't quite sure how to deal with at this point.
You think Bristol will enjoy watching all that delicious UConn BB on Fox? Nope...

Reaction Score
At the rate espn is going, none of the guys who are there now will be around 8 years from now.

Reaction Score
By the way, I'm not too sure about how many of you are aware of this, but the UConn women are America's team. As a person involved in youth sports for young girls and young women, I'm always amazed to see their popularity outside of UConn. When I wear UConn gear outside of New England, most of the comments I get come from either young black men showing their approval (presumably for the men), or mothers of young girls of all ethnicities commenting about UConn being their dream school. I'm really only referring to Upstate NY, Western NY, Ohio and Michigan where I've had this happen, and it happens regularly. The popularity of the women is through the roof for young girls, and I'm not even involved with youth basketball, but just soccer and lacrosse.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

NBC is notoriously cheap when bidding on sports.

They don't have any home for all the games the American would play anyway. They have one cable net that has soccer and hockey in a big number of the windows where college sports would plug in.

They don't really have capacity for the volume even if they wanted it.

Reaction Score
By the way, I'm not too sure about how many of you are aware of this, but the UConn women are America's team. As a person involved in youth sports for young girls and young women, I'm always amazed to see their popularity outside of UConn. When I wear UConn gear outside of New England, most of the comments I get come from either young black men showing their approval (presumably for the men), or mothers of young girls of all ethnicities commenting about UConn being their dream school. I'm really only referring to Upstate NY, Western NY, Ohio and Michigan where I've had this happen, and it happens regularly. The popularity of the women is through the roof for young girls, and I'm not even involved with youth basketball, but just soccer and lacrosse.

I agree with you there.... I get that a lot here in Oklahoma and when drive down to texas with my UConn gear..... The first thing they say Love watching the girls play basketball and how good they are in basketball.

Reaction Score
They have been the team if choice in NYC for years.
The New York times co-opted them years ago followed by other media
The young professional women especially. They are the single most identifiable women's team in history
Their games attract larger ratings then many men team and there media worth is great. ESPN gets huge ratings and pays them nothing .
I'm not even a big fan but facts are facts.

Reaction Score
Come on, there has to be some non key tweet out there?!

I honestly can't believe how quiet it is considering this is supposed to be the week it all goes down. There was more chatter during dry periods. Is it because all the WVU hillbillies made their accounts private?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I honestly can't believe how quiet it is considering this is supposed to be the week it all goes down. There was more chatter during dry periods. Is it because all the WVU hillbillies made their accounts private?

Go figure, the only people that know are Cincinnati message board insiders.

Reaction Score
311e906b5d15be871e7bb23413e50c443d110f9c2e4691804cd2328a16796b20.jpg

Reaction Score
It would make sense if some kind of announcement is imminent that any info leaks would dry up.

Then again, most of the """"info""""" leaks in this thread are fake anyway, so they should keep going.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom