Non-Key Tweets | Page 612 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
ESPN moved to solidify their SEC and ACC properties long term. ESPN seems to want to nail down the east coast and south as part of their business plan.

In terms of ESPN's Top 25 markets for college football in 2014...National ranking annotated (there are ties...so a couple of programs will have the same ranking).

South:

#1 Birmingham, #2 New Orleans, #3 Greenville, Knoxville (tie), #5 Memphis, Atlanta (tie), #10 Nashville, #12 Louisville, #13 Richmond, #15 Charlotte, #21 Greensboro, #21 Norfolk, #24 Raleigh-Durham

Florida:

#7 Jacksonville, #17 Orlando, #17 West Palm Beach

Midwest:

#10 Columbus, #21 Dayton

Big 12 Area:

#8 Oklahoma City, #9 Tulsa, #15 Austin

Other:

#13 Salt Lake City, #17 Portland, #17 Las Vegas, #25 Phoenix

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
ESPN moved to solidify their SEC and ACC properties long term. ESPN seems to want to nail down the east coast and south as part of their business plan.

In terms of ESPN's Top 25 markets for college football in 2014...National ranking annotated (there are ties...so a couple of programs will have the same ranking).

South:

#1 Birmingham, #2 New Orleans, #3 Greenville, Knoxville (tie), #5 Memphis, Atlanta (tie), #10 Nashville, #12 Louisville, #13 Richmond, #15 Charlotte, #21 Greensboro, #21 Norfolk, #24 Raleigh-Durham

Florida:

#7 Jacksonville, #17 Orlando, #17 West Palm Beach

Midwest:

#10 Columbus, #21 Dayton

Big 12 Area:

#8 Oklahoma City, #9 Tulsa, #15 Austin

Other:

#13 Salt Lake City, #17 Portland, #17 Las Vegas, #25 Phoenix
Wow...no Dallas, no Houston.....no KC nor St. Louis. Guess those really are pro-sports towns.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You have always had an obsession with numbers on a dial. I just dropped frontier and switched back to Cox and I have no idea what number any of the channels are. I just speak into my remote to find what I am looking for. What value does channel dial real estate have in a world where I find a basketball game by saying "college basketball" into my remote? And this 2 year contract with Cox may be my last before I cut the cord. ESPN is going to have a hard time justifying its existence in the future. I think the power lies in the content producers, not the aggregators.

A: The ratings say different -which wasn't what I was talking about anyway.

B: I'm talking about there isn't anyone else in the market willing to sign up for the kind of payments these conferences get except Fox and ESPN. Maybe in 8-10 years there will be but figuring out a way to throw off that much revenue is not easy math.

Reaction Score
Wow...no Dallas, no Houston.....no KC nor St. Louis. Guess those really are pro-sports towns.

Maybe they are not on ESPN as much with their split Big 12 contract....This is ESPN markets...not total viewers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
  • Here are his posts:
  • Jul 31, 9:51 PMFor months now, many of you have come onto the board and beat the same drum about how we need to leave the Big Twelve, this is a dead conference, we need to leave, Texas sucks (okay, that one is true), no more Texas teams or the GOR will be our downfall.

There have been a handful of folks who have posted accurate information that has been downvoted into oblivion simply because some of you mugs don't understand how this works. To date, everything I have posted (and a few other choice posters) has been 100% accurate - even to the disgust and dismay of some of the armchair quarterbacks on the board. Well, your downvotes ready cause here comes another serving of "this is going to happen whether you like it or not."

The Big Twelve is going to expand to 14 teams and the lucky four winners of the expansion lottery will be announced soon. Although the presidents have yet to make their final decisions, there is a strong possibility that Colorado is coming back. They are very interested and a group of CU alumni are working to pool the amount of money together to pay the buyout and lost television dollars in order to make it happen. They have been given a deadline to raise the money and sign on the dotted line. More on that one soon.

Nebraska and Missouri have both listened to conversations about coming back. The only information I have on this is that one of them is somewhat interested and the other said "f..k off." I will leave it up to you which one said which.

The Big Twelve stands to receive an additional billion dollars if the conference expands to 14 teams - and the teams we add are absolutely irrelevant to the discussion. (We could add North Texas or Notre Dame and it wouldn't mean a damn thing to the expansion dollar deal.) This amount, coupled with the television deal as it stands, would make the Big Twelve the second highest lucrative deal (and put us behind the first place conference by a mere $800 thousand per team over the life of the contract. That being said, that ain't much behind first....but... (now, read this carefully....) The conference gets the additional billion dollars for adding four teams regardless of whom they are.

Now....hold on to your g-strings....

If the Big Twelve extends the GOR, the additional Billion dollars could nearly DOUBLE over the course of the next five years.

Get your down votes ready....

Expect that one week prior to the season onset, the four teams will be publicly announced and a conference game will be slated for 2017 with divisions set up. In addition, expect the announcement that the GOR has been extended an additional decade and, due to the increase to 14 teams (and the extension), the Big Twelve will officially have the most lucrative television deal (beating the SEC) in place.

Have a nice day, folks and BOOMER!
  • Aug 1, 12:26 AM22022.....

The billion dollars comes from the original television contract we signed back when. I don't have the specifics other than it doesn't matter who we add. (My sources gave me the 'we could add Sam Houston or Notre Dame and there wouldn't be any difference in terms of the current contractual television revenues' remark.)

Now this whole thing could blow up but my contacts have said its all pretty much a done deal except finalizing who the four teams would be that are getting the invitations.
Here is the most recent info I have confirmed through folks that are directly involved... PLEASE don't shoot the messenger with downvotes as I am just providing the info, NOT saying this is what I want to have happen.

1. The networks kicking back over not wanting expansion is completely accurate. They don't want to have the pay the additional billion dollars so they have ponied up additional monies to give each team provided the conference stays at 10 teams.
2. The networks are offering said money because the lawyers on the side of the networks have all agreed they (the networks) don't have a leg to stand on should it go to court (regarding paying the Big Twelve the additional monies upon our expansion).
3. Regarding the above, the legal team that wrote the GOR television deal is the same team that wrote the conference contracts for the GOR as well. It was once again reiterated to me by one of our own athletic directors that the GOR was essentially constructed to "sign away the constitutional rights of each school to guarantee compliance and faith toward the agreement" and he went on to state that the document "ensures that it is so financially risky for any team to attempt to move out of the GOR agreement that the fines alone would ensure that no campus would even attempt it." It's akin to a single human being denouncing their constitutional right to go to court to decide something. I know it's odd - and stupid (for lack of a better term), but every university president signed the thing.
4. Today a movement was begun that was aimed at our expansion and a potential television network. The TV guys are seemingly "willing" to back off the "we don't want the Big Twelve to expand" talk if - I said IF - the conference was unilaterally willing to extend the GOR an additional decade (thereby ensuring the teams are guaranteed to stay put and the conference dissolution talk would cease.)
5. Examples of the above (#4) were given that adding teams today that may not pack a punch (with their names or their past history), by those teams being in the Big Twelve they will grow into national brands. Those examples included TCU and Baylor. When they entered the conference, people thought TCU was a joke and Baylor was a mess. The Big Twelve allowed those two brands to grow (athletically) and each of them were a microcosm from playing for a national championship two years ago.
6. Regarding the "why the hell would Colorado want to go back to the Big Twelve" talk as well as the "I'm a CU alumnus and I haven't heard nothin about this," my response is 'you don't need to hear about it.' Keep in mind that nobody - and I mean NOBODY saw Missouri leaving for the SEC when they did. People keep their cards to their vests over this kind of stuff. Does that mean that CU will come back? No. But I assure you the information provided in the post a few days ago was, and is, accurate. Things are still progressing on their end.
7. The potential expansion movement, regardless of what talk radio chirps about, is absolutely not a money grab. The presidents do NOT want the Big Twelve to fold. Nobody wants to leave (including Boren) the conference. Why? Get ready for this....again - don't shoot the messenger....
8. The powers that be (whomever they are in the athletic department) as well as President Boren, do not believe we can "consistently be in the running for national championships if we are members of another conference, regardless of the conference we go to." (And yes, guys, that is a direct quote.)

At this point, that is all the insight I have at the moment. If I was a betting man, as of today, I still expect the expansion to happen and I do believe the GOR will be extended.

As long as you mugs want more inside info, I will continue to post what I am told.

BOOMER!
Lol...Colorado to the Big 12 and he tries to claim he has sources. That poster on ok 247 did not like getting called out for his BS insider info.

Reaction Score
Carson Ingle ‏@caingle · 17h17 hours ago
If you want to hear @thatsean & @ChipBrownHD talk about #UCF & to Scott Frost, here is the @am1300thezone podcast.

9am-10am

UCFSportsInfo ‏@UCFSportsInfo · 11h11 hours ago
. @ChipBrownHD on radio today "If you subscribe to Jim Delany mindset of expansion, you go grab a major media market like Orlando [#UCF]"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Lol...Colorado to the Big 12 and he tries to claim he has sources. That poster on ok 247 did not like getting called out for his BS insider info.

A&M, Missouri, Colorado and Nebraska would not join a Texas led conference at gunpoint. That is why I am skeptical about any other league's interest in Texas. Why would the SEC or Big 10 ever mess with Texas when they are already making piles of cash?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A&M, Missouri, Colorado and Nebraska would not join a Texas led conference at gunpoint. That is why I am skeptical about any other league's interest in Texas. Why would the SEC or Big 10 ever mess with Texas when they are already making piles of cash?

I think there is some true in the opposite as well. Would Texas want to be just another school in a conference? Or is a little less marginal revenue worth it in order to be the driving force behind every decision.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Its pretty obvious, the B12 is going to do a sign and trade. Sign up UConn and trade to the B1G for Nebraska. You laugh - but its probably a done deal. :rolleyes:

As for Colorado, A&M and Mizzu, can't see how any of those would really want to leave. The exit price, etc, etc - seems impossible.

Reaction Score

Agreed. I think the OU poster above is imagining things. Is he aware that other than Missouri and A&M, both Colorado and Nebraska are under long term GOR? I don't see how Colorado would ever want to leave the CA schools just to go back to be another underling under Texas. I am pretty sure Nebraska feels the same.

Let's hope this realignment sega is over soon, and we are in. I don't think I can take it much longer.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Agreed. I think the OU poster above is imagining things. Is he aware that other than Missouri and A&M, both Colorado and Nebraska are under long term GOR? I don't see how Colorado would ever want to leave the CA schools just to go back to be another underling under Texas. I am pretty sure Nebraska feels the same.

Let's hope this realignment sega ids over soon, and we are in. I don't think I can take it much longer.

It was a silly post by the OU "insider" that does not warrant any more valuable Internet space, but the leadership at the 4 departing schools really hate Texas and left the Big 12 because of Texas. Now the names are different on the UT athletic department website, but I am willing to bet that UT is still UT. Those schools want nothing to do with Texas.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Unlike so many here I will admit when I am wrong. I didn't think there would ever be an ACC cable network. Will be interesting to see how that turns out because the marketplace doesn't want it and I think you are right it could end up being an expensive outcome for them.

No kidding ESPN wrote terrible contracts for the ACC and Big 12. Of course they don't want to spend more for properties they already own. I think ESPN is insane for extending these deals like the ACC as far as they are into the future.

It doesn't matter why the networks are upset - it just matters that they might have all the leverage in the future and that could end up harming the Big 12 in the future. Remember when the Big 12 was losing larger programs and adding a TCU and WVU - the networks didn't cut their deals back. It was a windfall to divide by 10 instead of 12. So they do have some pretty strong evidence where they partnered with the Big 12 and not just the ACC.

I'm not doubting that you know what you're talking about here, but just wanted your opinion on something. Why in the world would ESPN and Fox have agreed to this clause being included in their media deal? I don't understand it. I see why it's so bad for the networks...but they're the ones that agreed to it. And I'm not disputing that they may be angry and may take it out on the Big XII if they invite four schools, but I just don't understand why this clause was put in the contract in the first place. And if the networks put it into the deal as a concession so they could get something else they wanted, then why shouldn't the Big XII use it?

Reaction Score
I think there is some true in the opposite as well. Would Texas want to be just another school in a conference? Or is a little less marginal revenue worth it in order to be the driving force behind every decision.
IMHO this post is 100% on point about UT athletics!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not doubting that you know what you're talking about here, but just wanted your opinion on something. Why in the world would ESPN and Fox have agreed to this clause being included in their media deal? I don't understand it. I see why it's so bad for the networks...but they're the ones that agreed to it. And I'm not disputing that they may be angry and may take it out on the Big XII if they invite four schools, but I just don't understand why this clause was put in the contract in the first place. And if the networks put it into the deal as a concession so they could get something else they wanted, then why shouldn't the Big XII use it?

It does not seem that anyone at ESPN who was making deals had any insight into the fact their revenue model was ever going to witness a hiccup.

I'm sure part of the reason was they never thought the Big 12 would even consider schools like Memphis or Houston.

I'm not saying they should or shouldn't use the pro-rata. I'm just saying there is long term risk for their revenue streams if they do.

I hope they do. I think it's really easy to say on a message board that they should take the risk. It's more difficult if you can potentially be left holding the bag in 7-8 years.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
It was a silly post by the OU "insider" that does not warrant any more valuable Internet space, but the leadership at the 4 departing schools really hate Texas and left the Big 12 because of Texas. Now the names are different on the UT athletic department website, but I am willing to bet that UT is still UT. Those schools want nothing to do with Texas.

I agree completely. Let's take this one step further, the rumors are plants to slow the process down. What kept the Big12 from expanding before the ACCN? The lure of FSU and Clemson. When those schools are off the table, the talk of expansion went ballistic. Now we hear that there are PAC12 schools looking to jump? There have always been those that wanted to see the Arizona schools go to the Big12 (but the schools themselves). Now we see UCLA, Colorado, and Nebraska/Missouri thinking about or "confirmed" coming back. Sounds a bit fishy (no pun intended) to me. Whether it was ESPN and/or Fox, Texas or some crazy OU fan that doesn't want a GoR extension, it sounds too convenient that these rumors start up quickly now.

I might be, and probably am way off base here, but crazier things have happened in the world of CR.

Reaction Score
If Memphis somehow get in over us, it might just be even worse than the kick after UL was choosing over us. Memphis and UL are like local high schools pretending to be colleges. It is nuts conferences somehow value those 2 over a state flagship university in a densely populated area like the Northeast.
If the statement is true that that the Big 12 said " academics are important part in the valuation process ", then there's nooooooo way Memphis should be on the list of potential schools !!

Reaction Score

Maybe it was put in there back then under the assumption that some P5 schools (ACC?) were going to be available to the Big 12 at some point?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It does not seem that anyone at ESPN who was making deals had any insight into the fact their revenue model was ever going to witness a hiccup.

I'm sure part of the reason was they never thought the Big 12 would even consider schools like Memphis or Houston.

I'm not saying they should or shouldn't use the pro-rata. I'm just saying there is long term risk for their revenue streams if they do.

I hope they do. I think it's really easy to say on a message board that they should take the risk. It's more difficult if you can potentially be left holding the bag in 7-8 years.
Not on point exactly, but I think ESPN is partially a victim of it's own attempts to manipulate the market. When it's house band, the ACC, was looked vulnerable to poaching, ESPN bank rolled the intial raid on the Big East which appeared intended to butress ACC football while weakening the Big East arguably making it a less expessive commodity. The Big East not only survived it, it continued to thrive, in no small part due to UConn. ESPN offered the Big East a below market contract, perhaps looking to recoup some of the premium paid to the ACC, which the Big East refused. Rather than let Fox get a foothold in the East coast, ESPN funded another raid, boosting its payments to the ACC. Etc..

In the end ESPN cut the "P6" auto qualifers to the P5. When you reduce supply price increases. Now ESPN finds its cashflow and net profit reduced due to the events it started.

Karma is a bitch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not on point exactly, but I think ESPN is partially a victim of it's own attempts to manipulate the market. When it's house band, the ACC, was looked vulnerable to poaching, ESPN bank rolled the intial raid on the Big East which appeared intended to butress ACC football while weakening the Big East arguably making it a less expessive commodity. The Big East not only survived it, it continued to thrive, in no small part due to UConn. ESPN offered the Big East a below market contract, perhaps looking to recoup some of the premium paid to the ACC, which the Big East refused. Rather than let Fox get a foothold in the East coast, ESPN funded another raid, boosting its payments to the ACC. Etc..

In the end ESPN cut the "P6" auto qualifers to the P5. When you reduce supply price increases. Now ESPN finds its cashflow and net profit reduced due to the events it started.

Karma is a bitch.

That is why I sometimes think the idea they manuipulated changes is overstated.

If they did - they cost themselves a lot of money and some valuable content. Made some horrible decisions along the way.

This is more evidence that the outcomes don't align with what seems like logical business outcomes - and saying ESPN would just value the Big 12 purely some day sort of ignores everything we've seen where the money being paid doesn't always align with what things are 'worth'

Reaction Score

Watch UConn ticket sales jump when we get the word. We were doing pretty well until Hathaway and his hireling tried to kill the program and we got stuck in gulag conference.
It will work - if you bring in a steady stream of P-5 foes. Asking the UConn faithful to buy tickets when they have to watch the team play in the gulag conference just won't work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom