Non-Key Tweets | Page 442 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
  1. UC/UCONN

7 retweets10 likes

2. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 41m41 minutes ago
    Now look at the disposable Income of the state of CT. Hell...go look at the disposable income of top cities in USA. Do you see a trend?

0 retweets3 likes

3. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 43m43 minutes ago
    Go ahead...look up disposable income by state. Where do you see New Jersey and Maryland? Go ahead..look it up. Very high.

0 retweets1 like

4. Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 45m45 minutes ago
    Of all the talk on metrics when it comes to Conference Expansion...almost everyone misses a crucial part of the metrics.. Disposable Income

Reaction Score
Join me in taking the pledge: do not feed the trolls.

BC fans, Rutgers fans, them.

If you wanna engage them, send them a private message or set up a thread in the cesspool, but I can't be the only one here who comes to the non-key tweets page for false hope and gets frustrated by reading pages of people having the same argument for the 400th time.

107320-full.jpg

Reaction Score
Nor is Florida State by that measure.

By what measure?

The Florida Legislature has declared in statute, and the University Board of Governor's have ratified, that FSU and U of Florida are the State's Preeminent Universities. And as such receive legislative funding above that of the non preeminent universities.

By Land Grant status?

Alabama isn't land grant...neither is Michigan..nor Oklahoma, nor South Carolina, North Carolina, Oregon...so what?

By date of founding?

FSU and Florida were co founded...as the Seminary East of the Suwanee and the Seminary West of the Suwanee. FSU was located right where the campus is today...Florida was in Lake City before moving to Gainesville.

FSU was playing football in 1903 and 1904 (beat Florida)...from 1905 through 1946, FSU served as the women's college while Florida served as the men's college. Both went coed in 1947.

But who really cares...these are all artificial labels when it comes to sports.

Reaction Score
Michigan State is the "original" land-grant university, and it's huge. IU and Purdue jointly operate several campuses, and collectively, they're very huge.

p.s. Please "like" this post and get me off of "666".

I meant to type Michigan...scuse me, please,

Reaction Score
I really didn't want to get into history of other schools...just want to point out that "Flagship" and "Land Grant" do not have much actual meaning football or basketball...

There is no official definition of flagship universities...we list them, we say we know them when we see them...but that's pretty much it.

Reaction Score
What would I want as a new conference member?

.....a very competitive athletic department
....fans that support athletics
....reasonable geographic propinquity
....a program that will bring sports consumer interest (in stadium and on TV)

and less so:
....a university in a location that has significant alumni from my school in the area

Reaction Score
What would I want as a new conference member?

....reasonable geographic propinquity
and less so:
....a university in a location that has significant alumni from my school in the area

I don't know about the number of FSU alumni in the near tri-state, but we have many people that use words like "propinquity" and even a few that quote 18th century Scottish poets.

Reaction Score
I really didn't want to get into history of other schools...just want to point out that "Flagship" and "Land Grant" do not have much actual meaning football or basketball...

There is no official definition of flagship universities...we list them, we say we know them when we see them...but that's pretty much it.

Flagship has a lot of meaning when it comes to research. It means research money, as well as legal protection from the state for research that could be ahead of the law. This is probably why the CIC wants AAU and has a contiguous state requirement. Transporting a dangerous synthetic virus between schools is a lot easier if the virus never leaves a CIC state.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Maybe Louisville.

Gawd....Miami did this to us. BC and Cuse should play in a northeastern conference.

May Sha na na burn in hell.

Would you be happy if it was FSU, GT, UNC, NCSU, Duke, Maryland, Clemson, Wake, and UVA in one league and Cuse, BCU, WVU, Rutgers, UConn, Miami, Virginia Tech, and Pittsburgh in another? Good, so would we. But you guys ruined that.

Reaction Score
This is pure homerism.

Your BIG Metrics that BC "loses" to UConn on:
- State Flagship: no evidence this is a metric. Again, Northwestern, MSU, Purdue and ND in this example. Theoretical advantage to UConn.
- Market Size: UConn barely adds anything to NYC when compared to what BIG already has with Rutgers, UM, OSU, Penn State (and theoretically ND). UConn adds an extra 2% compared to what BIG already has in NYC. It's redundant. UConn only really "adds" CT. BC definitely adds Boston, likely adds all of Massachusetts, and possibly adds NH, VT, ME and RI to automatic BTN carriage. Clear advantage to BC.
- Geographic Presence: 100% wrong. If the BIG adds UConn they would be adding 1 of the 2 New England P5 teams. That's a split of New England. If the BIG adds BC -- and UConn gets passed over by the ACC, which is very possible -- the BIG adds ALL OF NEW ENGLAND. They would be the only major college football team in New England. Clear advantage to BC.
- Athletic Success: BC wins football and hockey. UConn wins basketball. The other sports are a wash. Advantage to BC.
- Facilities: BC just pledged $200 million to facilities. If this really became a debate you'd see BC pump out renderings and make unequivocal BC's committment to athletics at the highest level. Also, BC with facilities on campus...in the city of Boston, where all of the other BIG schools have large alumni networks that would love to go to games more often. Advantage BC.
- Fanbase: I don't know what you're basing this on. In football BC (outside of really rare and random 2-win seasons) draws more fans to football games, draws better TV ratings, and commands more national attention. You have basketball. I guess you can hope they care about basketball fanbase. Advantage BC.

BC is not "a nice undergraduate college in a major city." Boston College is an elite university and a nationwide brand name.

As for Notre Dame, conference politics is a very real consideration. It's not unreasonable that if an independent minded and proud university like Notre Dame was to join the BIG they wouldn't want to be the odd-ball small, private, Catholic school that gets bullied on conference issues. It's not unreasonable that they would insist on a like-minded partner institution to increase their clout in their new home.

Just my $0.02.

I have not made my way through the subsequent posts yet so I am sure this has been called out more than once, but I nearly fell out of my seat at the idea that BC would get carriage in New England. Holy smokes - if that is not a joke you are one deluded hombre. Such a crazy premise that there is literally no basis for a reasonable argument.

Reaction Score
It's an absolutely identical assumption to Rutgers having the NYC market. And no matter how terrible Rutgers is on the field and on the court, and how embarrassing they are for the off the field stuff, Delaney and Co still swear up and down that this is a huge win for market presence.

My favorite part of the BC to the BIG fantasy is when the BIG markets BC as "New England's P5 Team" and then colors the BIG map to include Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Rhode Island and...you guessed it...Connecticut.
you obviously come to a uconn board because it's lonely over in BC land. Doesn't that tell you something.

The Boneyard... New England's college forum!

Reaction Score
I would think you guys would welcome BC to the BIG.

1. ND and BC to the BIG
2. The ACC powers once again choose tradition over payday and stick together. I'm just not buying the ACC collapse. UNC, UVA and GT knew 2 years ago that the BIG might double the ACC money but still declined invitations. All this Twitter talk reaks of a desperate B12 trying to fluster FSU and Clemson in a longshot attempt at a more prestigious 11 and 12. Not buying it.
3. Bact to ND and BC to the BIG, ACC backfills BC's spot with UConn.

It's a route to a P5 for you.

This is the best post of the week and it really illustrates the duplicitous nature of BC.

So let me get this straight. BC has been a member of the ACC for nearly 15 years. BC has been an ACC voting member and was part of the "winning" voting block which added Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville. BC has failed to deliver New England to the ACC and voted against UConn's ACC entry to insure they would not have competition in a market they had already lost. Moreover, BC has taken its ACC money and not reinvested it in either facilities or its athletic program, instead treating its P5 money like an ATM. At a time of heightened conference competition, BC has allowed its basketball and football program to sink to arguable the worst in all of the P5 and BC has not won a conference game this year. By every metric BC has been a drain on the ACC and BC's decision making and performance is a large part of why the ACC is falling behind.

Yet suddenly the other ACC teams are bound by tradition and should stick together. What about BC? Where is BC's honor and tradition? Shouldn't BC stick with the ACC and own what they helped create? Didn't the BC sign the ACC GORs? Didn't BC make a commitment to the ACC?

BC truly proves the old adage "if she'll with cheat you, she'll cheat on you." BC is nothing but consistent.

Tusky, I could not imagine a better post which shows the true colors of BC. Thanks for posting

Reaction Score
you obviously come to a uconn board because it's lonely over in BC land. Doesn't that tell you something.

The Boneyard... New England's college forum!

Ha! Nice try. I'm here because you have 554 pages of "non-key tweets" with over a million views and filled with so much fantasy land delusions that you had to create a "key tweets" thread which is now at 163 or so and lately is only filled with arguments over the distinction between key and non-key.

The Boneyard is America's college forum...for vomiting unrealistic but fun musings on conference realignment out into the empty and futile hole that is the interwebs.

I'm here for the fun. You're all here because you're hoping the delusion isn't actually a delusion...

EDIT: Sorry, that last part was a bit harsh. I'm sure everything will work out for you, my little puppy friends.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom