Non-Key Tweets | Page 369 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Go look at the US News rankings. Much closer to Louisville than UConn, like 30+ spots.

Not that academics play that much into these, but the SEC took TAMU and Mizzou, two very strong schools and ACC takes Louisville. Who knows if B12 factors this at all.

Yes, I know you wrote research school, that's why I replied.

As I said, non-competitive funding is usually excluded from measuring how well a school is doing with research. The assessments inside Carnegie and the national endowments (NRC, not to mention the AAU) look at things like research grant funding per faculty, the range of the curriculum etc.

Reaction Score
Yes, he is an alumnus of Illinois and DePaul. He has no connections to Syracuse at all. He is a huge Big Ten guy.

I think he has been open in the past about his affinity for Syracuse, as another team that he roots for, though not as clear as to why.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Hi TCU grad in NYC, and a huge proponent of adding UCONN here.
I read your posts on landthieves. Thanks for promoting our basketball success to TX Sooner. I don't think you'll be able to get through to him, but I appreciate the effort.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good thing B12 fans haven't seen fellow Huskies chucking oranges at Syracuse fans outside Gampel... Would hate to see an errant fruit ruin our future CR outlook!

I remember that. The best part was an Orange fan picked up an orange, chucked it to return the favor and was promptly arrested for his troubles.

Reaction Score
I remember that. The best part was an Orange fan picked up an orange, chucked it to return the favor and was promptly arrested for his troubles.

That was right before my first UConn/Cuse game. That's awesome you saw that too.
Just like referees, they always catch the retaliation!

Reaction Score
Sorry, but I'm in the overexpand boat too. The B12 expansion talk seems to be only driven by what is the least possible means necessary for a Championship Game. I can understand that view, especially when it's baked into the whole "12 team pie split 10 ways" argument. But of greater concern to the majority of the conference (read: anyone not named Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas) is the long-term viability of the Big 12.

Individually, the remaining 7 schools don't have much of a leg to stand on. But collectively, they should have more of a forum. And their forum is simple: "we don't want to be relegated to G5 status once you three leave in 2025." To do that, you have to think about who is attractive to other conferences (read: the ACC) and would hurt their "P4" profile.

If the B12 added, in one fell swoop, UConn, Cincinnati, USF, UCF, Memphis, and Houston to get to 16, they could form an East division and West division and virtually guarantee that the best team out of the OU, Texas, TCU, Baylor grouping will play a weaker East team in the Championship Game and get to the Playoff. A bigger move like that also takes every single viable ACC option off the table should a school bolt the conference to join the B1G or SEC. Then once that train gets rolling, the B12 could poach UL and Pitt and 2 others to get to 20 and secure its hold as a P4 conference.

Believe me, I know that such a move is the longest of long shots and the odds of me winning $1B Powerball are greater than the B12 thinking about its long term interests, but it is certainly an option that should be explored. Even if it's over some moonshine, BBQ, cheese and crackers, and clogging.
My corollary is that the AAC propose a merger between the AAC and the Big 12 creating a super 22 football team conference while offering a double tier model. Tell the unmagnificent 7 that this is their chance to solidify their futures rather than being hung out to dry at the whim of Texas and Oklahoma. The AAC has proven to be a very good football conference. This scenario has zero chance of happening, maybe technically 0.0000000001, but I would love to see these guys do something brazen rather than just act as enablers to the P5.

Reaction Score
They may want Cincy for access to Midwestern recruits, though if that is the case why not grab a FL school. Cincy is a borderline community college in a pro sports town where everyone supports OSU and the B1G. Maybe it could work, who knows.
Cincy is more of a very large state school, larger than UCONN, which would probably be in a better position if it had been given a catchier name, such as University of Ohio.

Reaction Score
Wait, are you arguing that Cincy is a good school? My point is strictly that it's not a factor in this decision, and the only league that has shown any really concern for this is the SEC amazingly.

Cincy is more of a very large state school, larger than UCONN, which would probably be in a better position if it had been given a catchier name, such as University of Ohio.

Reaction Score
Wait, are you arguing that Cincy is a good school? My point is strictly that it's not a factor in this decision, and the only league that has shown any really concern for this is the SEC amazingly.
I am not arguing that Cincy is a good school. Cincy is a good school.

Reaction Score
This dude has been exposed so many times as a troll to rile up the desperate UC fans on twitter.
That's why it's in the non-key tweet thread....

Reaction Score
Can they somehow prevent a vote by coming to some compromise? And if so who are the parties involved in the compromise? Just a bit confused by the process and sorry to stick it here but better than what was formerly the "KEY" tweets thread.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Can they somehow prevent a vote by coming to some compromise? And if so who are the parties involved in the compromise? Just a bit confused by the process and sorry to stick it here but better than what was formerly the "KEY" tweets thread.

What is the #1 Rule of Conference Realignment?

Of course they could reach a compromise, but only if doing so would harm UConn's chances of joining a P5 conference. It says as much in the NCAA Bylaws.

Reaction Score
What is the #1 Rule of Conference Realignment?

Of course they could reach a compromise, but only if doing so would harm UConn's chances of joining a P5 conference. It says as much in the NCAA Bylaws.

This is the #1 rule.

uuUsn.gif

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Go look at the US News rankings. Much closer to Louisville than UConn, like 30+ spots.

Not that academics play that much into these, but the SEC took TAMU and Mizzou, two very strong schools and ACC takes Louisville. Who knows if B12 factors this at all.

To be fair, Cinci is pretty solid on the graduate/research side and is a better school than Louisville. It's a decent fit for the Big 12.

Reaction Score

I know we love US News rankings because we look great it in, but it's a pretty bad ranking system, and one that focuses solely on undergraduate. Not the only thing that matters here.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
To be fair, Cinci is pretty solid on the graduate/research side and is a better school than Louisville. It's a decent fit for the Big 12.
Know a lot of people from top schools that interview down here for the Medical School. Cincinnati has the #1 Children's Hospital in the country too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom