Non-Key Tweets | Page 368 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Husky Army ‏@thehuskyarmy 8m8 minutes ago
Sources close to UConn athletic program say B1G is still a very possible landing spot

This is the possibility we all hoped for: that interest by the Big12 would spur information gathering (The Dooley Syndrome) which would be more eye opening than expected. Then, the ACC and B1G, in an effort to protect their Northeast/NYC flank would begin to re-evaluate whether to wait on UConn, who they assumed "would always be there", or be more pre-emptive (The Louisville Syndrome). I sent the pics of our full stadium along with the RGIII quote to my Texas buddy and said we would fill the joint and expand it too if we had a schedule of Big12 visitors! Keep banging that drum boys!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Marginal to who? The Big 12 is a conference of Texas and plains states, with an outpost in Appalachia. BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and UConn would all be Top 6 markets in the Big 12 the day they signed up. UConn football is weak, but the other three have tradition, strong recruiting, and solid programs that would be competitive on day 1. UConn, Cincinnati and BYU would strengthen an already powerhouse basketball league. From a TV perspective, I am sure Fox and ESPN would like to pay less money (who wouldn't?), but adding those 4 schools actually makes this league better from a TV perspective.

If we were talking about the ACC, they would be crazy to add anyone but UConn, but this is the Big 12, which has some issues, so there is a reasonable case to make for 4 schools. If the Big 12 doesn't expand, the conference will not exist in 10 years. That is the best argument for expansion.

The best argument against expansion is that Texas probably doesn't want the Big 12 to exist in 10 years. That is a stronger argument.

Those four schools would add $120+ million in a Big 12 negotiation - but today they make 1/10th of that total? Makes sense.

The idea that those four schools are going to keep the Big 12 in existance is funny. Leagues have been collapsing around them forever - but they will be the glue that keeps the Big 12 alive.

Reaction Score
I need help, man. Instead of working today, I have been arguing with some woman from Waco about UConn + B12. Every time these CR rumors start and there is smoke from official places, I get sucked out of my real life and right back into the Land of CR.
That crazy uneducated Baylor fan from Twitter the other day?

Reaction Score
Not a tweet, but I was at the Co-op before the game and noticed that they are now selling Mets, Sox and Yankee hats with the UConn logo on the side. Asked someone whose idea that was, and was told it's the marketing departments idea to show we are NYC and Boston's team.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Those four schools would add $120+ million in a Big 12 negotiation - but today they make 1/10th of that total? Makes sense.

The idea that those four schools are going to keep the Big 12 in existance is funny. Leagues have been collapsing around them forever - but they will be the glue that keeps the Big 12 alive.

That is a strawtastic argument of things I didn't say. I said the case of expansion is just okay, not great. Nice try though.

The only way those schools keep the Big 12 in existence is if one or more of the new schools establishes themselves as a national power in the next 10 years. It also protects the non-Texas/Oklahoma schools from wandering the desert if Texas should leave them. What happens to Iowa State or Kansas State if there is no Big 12? If they have 10 years to incorporate new members, they may be able to survive Texas' departure in 10 years. Their hand is strongest right now.

I have made that first argument in the past and you have argued the other side, so I am not going to bite. A case could be made that UConn is a $2MM a year program right now and that is it. If you believe that, then why aren't you calling for the football program to be shut down? Can't have it both ways Whaler.

The only reason most of the P5 programs are getting the revenue they get is because they are behaving like a monopoly. Likewise, the main reason that programs like UConn are getting the meager revenue they get is that they are outside the monopoly. It is hard to argue that this is free market pricing.

Reaction Score
Husky Army ‏@thehuskyarmy 8m8 minutes ago
Sources close to UConn athletic program say B1G is still a very possible landing spot

Technically, anyone posting on this forum could be considered "close" to athletic program. A stalkerish kind of close, but close none the less.
WHEN? WHEN WHEN DAMIT WHEN? 19 minutes? 20 minutes? 21 minutes? 20 months? 20 years? WHEN WILL THIS ALL END!!!!!!

Reaction Score
They may want Cincy for access to Midwestern recruits, though if that is the case why not grab a FL school. Cincy is a borderline community college in a pro sports town where everyone supports OSU and the B1G. Maybe it could work, who knows.

This is wrong on many levels. Cincinnati is a top 25 research college (they don't rank overly highly on US News) but always rank very highly on AAU metrics and is commonly considered a top 200 worldwide university (due to their research and endowment 1.2B.) Ohio widely supports OSU and the B1G but not the metro area of Cincinnati. It is a pro-sports town, I give you that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That is a strawtastic argument of things I didn't say. I said the case of expansion is just okay, not great. Nice try though.

The only way those schools keep the Big 12 in existence is if one or more of the new schools establishes themselves as a national power in the next 10 years. It also protects the non-Texas/Oklahoma schools from wandering the desert if Texas should leave them. What happens to Iowa State or Kansas State if there is no Big 12? If they have 10 years to incorporate new members, they may be able to survive Texas' departure in 10 years. Their hand is strongest right now.

I have made that first argument in the past and you have argued the other side, so I am not going to bite. A case could be made that UConn is a $2MM a year program right now and that is it. If you believe that, then why aren't you calling for the football program to be shut down? Can't have it both ways Whaler.

The only reason most of the P5 programs are getting the revenue they get is because they are behaving like a monopoly. Likewise, the main reason that programs like UConn are getting the meager revenue they get is that they are outside the monopoly. It is hard to argue that this is free market pricing.

You said if they don't expand they won't exist in 10 years. What other conclusion is there but the teams they expand with would save them? Hardly a strawman.

If there wasn't a chance they needed to go to 12 we wouldn't be having this conversation - so it's pretty safe to say that the Big 12 and their partners don't value any of those schools at the average Big 12 number.... or they would have done something about it.

Reaction Score
This is wrong on many levels. Cincinnati is a top 25 research college (they don't rank overly highly on US News) but always rank very highly on AAU metrics and is commonly considered a top 200 worldwide university (due to their research and endowment 1.2B.) Ohio widely supports OSU and the B1G but not the metro area of Cincinnati. It is a pro-sports town, I give you that.

Easy there. Cincy is a very good school. AAU metrics tend to devalue hospital research because of its sourcing (i.e. not peer review grants). Cincy is a good academic school that could fit into any conference, but I seriously doubt anyone would rank it in the top 50 in the USA.

Reaction Score
That would be the one!
Guess she conveniently forgets what it was like pre-RGIII....I just the RGIII Rentschler bomb on her..let's she what she says to that...

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

To look at UConn (as an example) as only as valuable as what it receives today as a member of the AAC is short term thinking. The kind of thinking that has left the Big 12 in the position that it is in with just 10 teams and hanging on the votes of it's peers as to how it should proceed. Instead, it could take the approach that it wants to build its conference rather than just add to it. OU has been referenced with thinking 50 or 100 years into the future. Conference building is just that as opposed to just keeping things smaller because of the payout now. Sure UConn, Cincy, Temple and either UCF or USF will dilute the per school payout now but what if, with a little planning, they could lead to a larger payout or even the conferences survival in the future? It's worth thinking about.

Reaction Score
Easy there. Cincy is a very good school. AAU metrics tend to devalue hospital research because of its sourcing (i.e. not peer review grants). Cincy is a good academic school that could fit into any conference, but I seriously doubt anyone would rank it in the top 50 in the USA.

Top 25 research school I said. Not that they're top 25 overall. Many schools are much better schools, but not considered "research" schools. And it might have been top 25 public research school, I don't remember the source.

EDIT: For example: http://mup.asu.edu/Top-American-Research-Universities-2013-Annual-Report-MUP.pdf has Cincinnati as #53 overall and #31 Public. UConn is ranked #94 for research on this report.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If UConn can land in a P5 conference, it's a game changer for recruiting. Syracuse and BC will be on the run. This will be so huge for football.

Reaction Score
Husky Army ‏@thehuskyarmy 2h2 hours ago

Brian A ‏@BriUConn 2h2 hours ago
@thehuskyarmy @DooleyMcStitch What?? Is this your source? If so, is this a BIG looking now or down the road??

Husky Army
‏@thehuskyarmy
@Briuconn @DooleyMcStitch I was told by source that UConn will be in the B1G eventually. Interpret that however you want

@DooleyMcStitch @Briuconn Eventually meaning 10-15 years tops

@DooleyMcStitch @Briuconn BTN contract up soon, if Big 12 threatens to take NYC, they just might add UConn; in my opinion

Reaction Score
Maybe a tad exaggerated, Cincy pretending it's some major football school is incredulous.

It's much closer in rankings to WVU and Louisville than it is to UConn, KU and UT. And everyone on here talks about Louisville and WVU being borderline community colleges academically.

It doesn't matter, the ACC has FSU and Louisville.

Yeah the Cincy as a community college post was pretty misguided. They must have been thinking of Louisville

Reaction Score
Top 25 research school I said. Not that they're top 25 overall. Many schools are much better schools, but not considered "research" schools. And it might have been top 25 public research school, I don't remember the source.

EDIT: For example: http://mup.asu.edu/Top-American-Research-Universities-2013-Annual-Report-MUP.pdf has Cincinnati as #53 overall and #31 Public. UConn is ranked #94 for research on this report.

Yes, I know you wrote research school, that's why I replied.

As I said, non-competitive funding is usually excluded from measuring how well a school is doing with research. The assessments inside Carnegie and the national endowments (NRC, not to mention the AAU) look at things like research grant funding per faculty, the range of the curriculum etc.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You said if they don't expand they won't exist in 10 years. What other conclusion is there but the teams they expand with would save them? Hardly a strawman.

If there wasn't a chance they needed to go to 12 we wouldn't be having this conversation - so it's pretty safe to say that the Big 12 and their partners don't value any of those schools at the average Big 12 number.... or they would have done something about it.

The Big 12 will not exist in 10 years if it does not expand now. A 10 team league fully dependent on 1 member for market share is not viable. Getting to 12 or 14 teams and expanding its footprint gives it a chance, that's all. If teams are added and they make the playoffs 2-3 times in the next 10 years, the Big 12's future is solid. If nothing changes, and Oklahoma makes it a few more times, with maybe TCU or Baylor jumping in, the Big 12's odds are not good. If Texas and Oklahoma become powerhouses, drowning out the other 8 members, the Big 12 has 0% chance of survival.

If you had to assemble the Big 12 from scratch from all the non-ACC, Big 10, Big 12, and SEC programs, how many of the current Big 12 schools would you pick? I might pick 6 or 7. I am sure Iowa State, Baylor and Kansas State have figured that out too. 10 years from now, if Texas bolts, the Big 12 is no longer a major conference. How many of the other programs will be saved? The SEC will take Oklahoma and maybe Oklahoma State or Kansas. And that's it. On the other hand, if, 10 years from now, Texas bolts from a 12 or 14 team Big 12, Oklahoma is more likely to stay as the anchor, and the league will still be a viable major conference. And if Texas doesn't hold the cards 10 years from now, they are less likely to bolt and other leagues would be less likely to take them.

None of this is rocket science. That is why Texas likes the status quo, and Oklahoma wants to expand.

Yet Whaler believes that he knows more about the Big 12's future prospects than the President of Oklahoma.

Reaction Score

Brian A ‏@BriUConn 2h2 hours ago
@thehuskyarmy @DooleyMcStitch What?? Is this your source? If so, is this a BIG looking now or down the road??

Husky Army
‏@thehuskyarmy
@Briuconn @DooleyMcStitch I was told by source that UConn will be in the B1G eventually. Interpret that however you want

@DooleyMcStitch @Briuconn Eventually meaning 10-15 years tops

@DooleyMcStitch @Briuconn BTN contract up soon, if Big 12 threatens to take NYC, they just might add UConn; in my opinion

Sounds like HuskyFanDan has a new twitter handle.

Reaction Score
This is the possibility we all hoped for: that interest by the Big12 would spur information gathering (The Dooley Syndrome) which would be more eye opening than expected. Then, the ACC and B1G, in an effort to protect their Northeast/NYC flank would begin to re-evaluate whether to wait on UConn, who they assumed "would always be there", or be more pre-emptive (The Louisville Syndrome). I sent the pics of our full stadium along with the RGIII quote to my Texas buddy and said we would fill the joint and expand it too if we had a schedule of Big12 visitors! Keep banging that drum boys!
I learned a long time ago in order to achieved your desired outcome it may becomes necessary to employ the tactic of cognitive dissonance.
I really can't say if the dissonance created by rumors of us as a top candidate to fill a very likely opening are enough but it can't hurt.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom