Non-Key Tweets | Page 366 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Throwing out if 12 makes sense.

To go to 14 means you are adding at least two very marginal schools - which is only going to drag down the average rake at the next negotiation.

While at the the same time ensuring that you'll see less of schools you want to play... for the right to play Memphis or UCF or someone like that.

If I were the Big XII, and I were to actually thing strategically, I would say "Darn, we lost the vote. We tried everything we could to keep things the way they were. Now that we are forced by those other evil conferences to expand, time to double-down. The LHN is now the BXII network. And to position ourselves to be a relevant organization for years to come we are going to compete with the others for the maximum number of eyeballs. Welcome to UConn, Temple, Cincinnati, Houston, USF, and UCF!"

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 1h1 hour ago
@frankthetank111 The Big 12 is beef BBQ, cornbread, country music & football aka the country mouse.

@frankthetank111 UCONN is wine, cheese, white collar and basketball aka the City Mouse.

And the Dude is squirrel, moonshine and meth aka the Social Security mouse.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I'm in the overexpand boat too. The B12 expansion talk seems to be only driven by what is the least possible means necessary for a Championship Game. I can understand that view, especially when it's baked into the whole "12 team pie split 10 ways" argument. But of greater concern to the majority of the conference (read: anyone not named Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas) is the long-term viability of the Big 12.

Individually, the remaining 7 schools don't have much of a leg to stand on. But collectively, they should have more of a forum. And their forum is simple: "we don't want to be relegated to G5 status once you three leave in 2025." To do that, you have to think about who is attractive to other conferences (read: the ACC) and would hurt their "P4" profile.

If the B12 added, in one fell swoop, UConn, Cincinnati, USF, UCF, Memphis, and Houston to get to 16, they could form an East division and West division and virtually guarantee that the best team out of the OU, Texas, TCU, Baylor grouping will play a weaker East team in the Championship Game and get to the Playoff. A bigger move like that also takes every single viable ACC option off the table should a school bolt the conference to join the B1G or SEC. Then once that train gets rolling, the B12 could poach UL and Pitt and 2 others to get to 20 and secure its hold as a P4 conference.

Believe me, I know that such a move is the longest of long shots and the odds of me winning $1B Powerball are greater than the B12 thinking about its long term interests, but it is certainly an option that should be explored. Even if it's over some moonshine, BBQ, cheese and crackers, and clogging.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If I were the Big XII, and I were to actually thing strategically, I would say "Darn, we lost the vote. We tried everything we could to keep things the way they were. Now that we are forced by those other evil conferences to expand, time to double-down. The LHN is now the BXII network. And to position ourselves to be a relevant organization for years to come we are going to compete with the others for the maximum number of eyeballs. Welcome to UConn, Temple, Cincinnati, Houston, USF, and UCF!"

The Big 12 doesn't get to decide the LHN is the Big 12 network and if those schools were worth $30 million a year the AAC contract would be a lot higher than 2.

It makes no financial sense to go past 12.

Reactions: jho
Reaction Score
Storrs = city?

Derby CT is incorporated as a 'City' in Connecticut and has 12,000 people. UConn has an enrollment of 31,000 or which 23,000 are in Storrs, I think. So if population is the deciding factor in what a city is, then UConn is a city.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I'm in the overexpand boat too. The B12 expansion talk seems to be only driven by what is the least possible means necessary for a Championship Game. I can understand that view, especially when it's baked into the whole "12 team pie split 10 ways" argument. But of greater concern to the majority of the conference (read: anyone not named Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas) is the long-term viability of the Big 12.

Individually, the remaining 7 schools don't have much of a leg to stand on. But collectively, they should have more of a forum. And their forum is simple: "we don't want to be relegated to G5 status once you three leave in 2025." To do that, you have to think about who is attractive to other conferences (read: the ACC) and would hurt their "P4" profile.

If the B12 added, in one fell swoop, UConn, Cincinnati, USF, UCF, Memphis, and Houston to get to 16, they could form an East division and West division and virtually guarantee that the best team out of the OU, Texas, TCU, Baylor grouping will play a weaker East team in the Championship Game and get to the Playoff. A bigger move like that also takes every single viable ACC option off the table should a school bolt the conference to join the B1G or SEC. Then once that train gets rolling, the B12 could poach UL and Pitt and 2 others to get to 20 and secure its hold as a P4 conference.

Believe me, I know that such a move is the longest of long shots and the odds of me winning $1B Powerball are greater than the B12 thinking about its long term interests, but it is certainly an option that should be explored. Even if it's over some moonshine, BBQ, cheese and crackers, and clogging.

You're talking about a strategic move vice a tactical move. The tactical/operational move is to add the minimal amount to make the conference viable. The strategic move is to make the conference stronger and negate your opponent (ACC) from making their next move. The Big12 could take on some extra assets not knowing what to do with them other than removing those assets from being in play from other competitors. Squatting so to speak.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Horses, cows, farm land. Looks like a B12 school to me.

The Dude is just talking out of his . I went to KU and Lawrence is both more urban than Storrs and just as "upscale" or more so. Austin is a major city, and Norman is an OKC suburb. There are some cultural differences, but those are less pronounced than they were many years ago. If you ever went to the old UConn v Yale game...now that was a culture clash. UConn fans drinking all day and urinating in the woods, while older Yale fans tailgated in tweed jackets with wine and cheese.

The guy just said that WVU "carried" the Big East in football...that pretty much makes him a moron and a liar.

Reaction Score
The Dude is just talking out of his . I went to KU and Lawrence is both more urban than Storrs and just as "upscale" or more so. Austin is a major city, and Norman is an OKC suburb. There are some cultural differences, but those are less pronounced than they were many years ago. If you ever went to the old UConn v Yale game...now that was a culture clash. UConn fans drinking all day and urinating in the woods, while older Yale fans tailgated in tweed jackets with wine and cheese.

The guy just said that WVU "carried" the Big East in football...that pretty much makes him a moron and a liar.

Stop it. UConn fans rarely made it to the woods.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I tailgate in that first blue lot on the left when you enter the Silver Lane gate entrance and literally park 5 feet from woods. I have never made it to the woods in all my years there. Instead, I prefer the tried and true "open a car door and try not to p1ss inside my car" approach. Sometimes it is successful.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Derby CT is incorporated as a 'City' in Connecticut and has 12,000 people. UConn has an enrollment of 31,000 or which 23,000 are in Storrs, I think. So if population is the deciding factor in what a city is, then UConn is a city.
Population does not determine what is and what is not a city. Cities in CT are determined by a special act by the Connecticut General Assembly.

UConn is located in Storrs, which is a village and CDP within the Town of Mansfield.

Reaction Score
I tailgate in that first blue lot on the left when you enter the Silver Lane gate entrance and literally park 5 feet from woods. I have never made it to the woods in all my years there. Instead, I prefer the tried and true "open a car door and try not to p1ss inside my car" approach. Sometimes it is successful.
Now if that's not BigXII football, I don't know what is!

Reaction Score
@frankthetank111 Personally I’ve been to WVU games at UCONN & WVU games at B12 stadiums. UCONN is NOT a fit culturally.

@frankthetank111 The Big 12 is beef BBQ, cornbread, country music & football aka the country mouse.

@frankthetank111 UCONN is wine, cheese, white collar and basketball aka the City Mouse.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 57m57 minutes ago
@frankthetank111 Despite the distance WVU was a perfect fit for the B12 - like a squirt of lemon in an ice cold Coke.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 57m57 minutes ago
@frankthetank111 In the BE, even though WVU carried the conf football wise, WVU was viewed like cousin Eddie from the vacation movies.

@hihoze I’ve advocated the B12 license LHN content. ESPN could subsidize $ losses on LGN that way.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @hihoze Sadly Bowlsby never returned my call.

I'm confused. Why is the dude quoting Frank the Tank? Isn't Frank a fan of Syracuse, that inconsequential school in Central NY that claims it is N.Y. State's team? How did HE ever get to be an authority on which school best fits the Big XII as a CR addition?

Reaction Score
I'm confused. Why is the dude quoting Frank the Tank? Isn't Frank a fan of Syracuse, that inconsequential school in Central NY that claims it is N.Y. State's team? How did HE ever get to be an authority on which school best fits the Big XII as a CR addition?
Coach, Frank is an admitted Illinois guy, not SU. As for your second question, he is not an authority, he just has an opinion.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

I proposed the Big 12 to 16 sometime over the summer. It's crazy but it's bold. Since then, supposedly, Memphis has been shot down and ESPN has put the kibosh on the two Florida schools so that kind of thinking is dead for realz now. I don't think the Big 12 ever would have done it because they seem so fixated and $/school now versus future value but it was fun to think about and I think long term, it would have been a good move for the conference.

Reaction Score
C. Austin Cox ‏@C_Austin_Cox 3m3 minutes ago
Tuberville's collapse at #Cincinnati borders on epic. UC went from 4 BCS conf titles in 5 yrs to going 0-3 in minor bowls since he arrived.

0 retweets0 likes

I've had this thought about TT myself over the last few weeks. I feel like people are blinded by his name and reputation, but the reality is, he has not delivered at all at Cincy.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I've had this thought about TT myself over the last few weeks. I feel like people are blinded by his name and reputation, but the reality is, he has not delivered at all at Cincy.
10 to 11 win team before he came in. Two 9 win seasons and a 7 win season in the past three years. Not bad, but they are regressing.

Reaction Score
B12 should just add 2 (my preference is UConn {obviously} and Cinci) if they can figure out how to get their network set up. This will be a direct shot at the ACC by grabbing properties they may have some value in and gets a Network going in another P5 conference. As the ACC GOR gets closer to expiring the dance will continue....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom