Non-Key Tweets | Page 367 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I'm in the overexpand boat too. The B12 expansion talk seems to be only driven by what is the least possible means necessary for a Championship Game. I can understand that view, especially when it's baked into the whole "12 team pie split 10 ways" argument. But of greater concern to the majority of the conference (read: anyone not named Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas) is the long-term viability of the Big 12.

Individually, the remaining 7 schools don't have much of a leg to stand on. But collectively, they should have more of a forum. And their forum is simple: "we don't want to be relegated to G5 status once you three leave in 2025." To do that, you have to think about who is attractive to other conferences (read: the ACC) and would hurt their "P4" profile.

If the B12 added, in one fell swoop, UConn, Cincinnati, USF, UCF, Memphis, and Houston to get to 16, they could form an East division and West division and virtually guarantee that the best team out of the OU, Texas, TCU, Baylor grouping will play a weaker East team in the Championship Game and get to the Playoff. A bigger move like that also takes every single viable ACC option off the table should a school bolt the conference to join the B1G or SEC. Then once that train gets rolling, the B12 could poach UL and Pitt and 2 others to get to 20 and secure its hold as a P4 conference.

Believe me, I know that such a move is the longest of long shots and the odds of me winning $1B Powerball are greater than the B12 thinking about its long term interests, but it is certainly an option that should be explored. Even if it's over some moonshine, BBQ, cheese and crackers, and clogging.
Nope, I'm not seeing them overexpand. I truly believe this next realignment is about brand (hence two of UConn, BYU, and Cincinnati). City schools are not attractive to the Big 12, hence why they have none so if BYU plays ball, I would expect BYU and UConn to be picked.

Reaction Score
They may want Cincy for access to Midwestern recruits, though if that is the case why not grab a FL school. Cincy is a borderline community college in a pro sports town where everyone supports OSU and the B1G. Maybe it could work, who knows.

Nope, I'm not seeing them overexpand. I truly believe this next realignment is about brand (hence two of UConn, BYU, and Cincinnati). City schools are not attractive to the Big 12, hence why they have none so if BYU plays ball, I would expect BYU and UConn to be picked.

Reaction Score
Coach, Frank is an admitted Illinois guy, not SU. As for your second question, he is not an authority, he just has an opinion.

Yes, he is an alumnus of Illinois and DePaul. He has no connections to Syracuse at all. He is a huge Big Ten guy.

Reaction Score
You're talking about a strategic move vice a tactical move. The tactical/operational move is to add the minimal amount to make the conference viable. The strategic move is to make the conference stronger and negate your opponent (ACC) from making their next move. The Big12 could take on some extra assets not knowing what to do with them other than removing those assets from being in play from other competitors. Squatting so to speak.

I don't think that I can recall when the Big 12 ever made a strategic move over a tactical one.

The took WVU and TCU to get back to ten members to fulfill their contract with Fox/ESPN.

They haven't done a thing since then.

Reaction Score
Saw this posted on the Cincy board:

I live in Austin in the Mecca of the UT sports empire. Yesterday one of the biggest UT fans I know (I think it is his picture displayed in th dictionary under "UT Fan") approached me and said he heard UC and UCONN are coming into the B12 and would be invited this month. He is a guy who is a UT alum and attends every event in the boxes and hangs out with quite a few of the corporate sponsors for the program. He has never said a word to me before regarding this issue.
Unless this clown works at a car wash, it's garbage.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In fairness, the Dude would have a better feel for the game day experience at Rentschler than RGIII would :rolleyes:
In fairness, you and he can suck eggs on this one. RGIII said the Rent was a tough place to play. That's true. A Baylor beat guy said the UConn student section was the equal or better of B12 sections. And while I can't say I never saw wine at a tailgate, it is not even in the time zone of being representative of UConn tailgates.

Reaction Score
In fairness, you and he can suck eggs on this one. RGIII said the Rent was a tough place to play. That's true. A Baylor beat guy said the UConn student section was the equal or better of B12 sections. And while I can't say I never saw wine at a tailgate, it is not even in the time zone of being representative of UConn tailgates.
I guess you missed my "eye roll/sarcasm" emoji.

Reaction Score
Here's the quote:

Jon Robinson: Another cool thing they have in the game is the atmosphere from the crowd, where they're cheering wildly for the home team, while making it tough on the road teams to call audibles with all the crowd noise. When you were at Baylor, what was the toughest place for you to play in terms of crowd noise?

Robert Griffin III: The thing that people think is when you go to these big stadiums and they have 80,000 people or 100,000 people, that these are the toughest stadiums to play at, but really, those aren't. When you have that many people, most of the time, the fans are pretty far away from the field. The toughest places to play are the ones that are jam-packed, are really tight to the field, and sit about 45,000 people. When we played at UConn my freshman year, that was the loudest place I've ever been as a football player. The stands are right next to the field, it was packed, and everyone was yelling. That was probably the coolest place for me to play at aside from Texas, Texas A&M, and Nebraska.

Link: http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/vid...ii-talks-video-games-draft?readmore=fullstory

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Don't get me wrong, I don't see it either. I just said it makes the most long term sense. But we all agree that the B12 does not think long term and will most likely look to use chewing gum to patch up the Titanic.

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong, I don't see it either. I just said it makes the most long term sense. But we all agree that the B12 does not think long term and will most likely look to use chewing gum to patch up the Titanic.
A big advantage I could see for them standing at 10 or going to 12 out of necessity now (and not going to 14 or 16) is they would have room to go to 16 if/when the ACC implodes (fingers crossed) at end of their GOR with the likes of FSU, Clemson, GT, VT, NCSU, etc..

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Throwing out if 12 makes sense.

To go to 14 means you are adding at least two very marginal schools - which is only going to drag down the average rake at the next negotiation.

While at the the same time ensuring that you'll see less of schools you want to play... for the right to play Memphis or UCF or someone like that.

Marginal to who? The Big 12 is a conference of Texas and plains states, with an outpost in Appalachia. BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and UConn would all be Top 6 markets in the Big 12 the day they signed up. UConn football is weak, but the other three have tradition, strong recruiting, and solid programs that would be competitive on day 1. UConn, Cincinnati and BYU would strengthen an already powerhouse basketball league. From a TV perspective, I am sure Fox and ESPN would like to pay less money (who wouldn't?), but adding those 4 schools actually makes this league better from a TV perspective.

If we were talking about the ACC, they would be crazy to add anyone but UConn, but this is the Big 12, which has some issues, so there is a reasonable case to make for 4 schools. If the Big 12 doesn't expand, the conference will not exist in 10 years. That is the best argument for expansion.

The best argument against expansion is that Texas probably doesn't want the Big 12 to exist in 10 years. That is a stronger argument.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 4h4 hours ago
Because I'm a nerd with insomnia I averaged the % of Facebook fan maps for the Houston area via zip code.

The Texas Longhorns are king of Hou with 36% of fans. TAMU is second 16%. LSU is 3rd with 11%. UH is 4th with 10%. Other has 27%.

Infer what you will from those stats... but it looks like the Big 12 & the Longhorns have Houston locked up.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV · 3h3 hours ago
More nerd data: UH had 8 nationally televised games with an average national TV rating of 0.35.

The UH - UC game had 396K viewers on ESPN2. That's a Nielsen rating of 0.0.

HTownTakeover ‏@treyd2288 · 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV have to consider time/channel/opponent. Sure ratings will be bad at 11AM on ESPNEWS VS Tulane. Check ratings vs decent teams

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @treyd2288 Let's not beat a dead horse. The data is unkind.

@beakerboy90 No worries though... Big 12 don't care about data...

@beakerboy90 However I think it's absurd that the Big 12 cares so little about making a sound business decision.

@beakerboy90 And no offense to UH, but how can a school thats the 4th most popular team in its home city deliver Hou when Texas dominates?

Beaker ‏@beakerboy90 · 3h3 hours ago  The Woodlands, TX
@theDudeofWV and B12 will lose even more Houston.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @beakerboy90 Adding UH doesn't fix that. It adds another P5 competitor for the services of Hou kids.

@beakerboy90 And UH's success last year actually makes that MORE of a problem for them.

Erich Keithly ‏@ekeithly_1 · 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV UH is a terrible add

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @ekeithly_1 Honestly... look at the numbers... who is much better than UH other than BYU?

Reaction Score
Because I'm a nerd with insomnia I averaged the % of Facebook fan maps for the Houston area via zip code.

The Texas Longhorns are king of Hou with 36% of fans. TAMU is second 16%. LSU is 3rd with 11%. UH is 4th with 10%. Other has 27%.

Infer what you will from those stats... but it looks like the Big 12 & the Longhorns have Houston locked up.

More nerd data: UH had 8 nationally televised games with an average national TV rating of 0.35.

The UH - UC game had 396K viewers on ESPN2. That's a Nielsen rating of 0.0.

HTownTakeover ‏@treyd2288 · 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV have to consider time/channel/opponent. Sure ratings will be bad at 11AM on ESPNEWS VS Tulane. Check ratings vs decent teams

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @treyd2288 Let's not beat a dead horse. The data is unkind.

@beakerboy90 No worries though... Big 12 don't care about data...

@beakerboy90 However I think it's absurd that the Big 12 cares so little about making a sound business decision.

@beakerboy90 And no offense to UH, but how can a school thats the 4th most popular team in its home city deliver Hou when Texas dominates?

Beaker ‏@beakerboy90 · 3h3 hours ago  The Woodlands, TX
@theDudeofWV and B12 will lose even more Houston.

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @beakerboy90 Adding UH doesn't fix that. It adds another P5 competitor for the services of Hou kids.

@beakerboy90 And UH's success last year actually makes that MORE of a problem for them.

Erich Keithly ‏@ekeithly_1 · 3h3 hours ago
@theDudeofWV UH is a terrible add

Christopher Lambert
‏@theDudeofWV @ekeithly_1 Honestly... look at the numbers... who is much better than UH other than BYU?

Someone should show him UConn's ratings: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

UConn-Marshall drew 2.4 million people in our bowl game. By comparison...

Toledo-Temple was 1.96
SDSU-Cincy was 1.636
Navy-Pitt was 2.182

Regular season:

UConn drew over 1 million twice last season against Mizzou and BYU.

The same number of times West Virginia did (Baylor/OK State)

Reaction Score
Yes, he is an alumnus of Illinois and DePaul. He has no connections to Syracuse at all. He is a huge Big Ten guy.

He's one of them Lawyer types too. You know the type... ;)

Dooley

Reaction Score
Someone should show him UConn's ratings: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

UConn-Marshall drew 2.4 million people in our bowl game. By comparison...

Toledo-Temple was 1.96
SDSU-Cincy was 1.636
Navy-Pitt was 2.182

Regular season:

UConn drew over 1 million twice last season against Mizzou and BYU.

The same number of times West Virginia did (Baylor/OK State)

Wow. Our ratings are good for a crappy bowl and a crappy game. 2.4M measures with the 2.41 that Auburn/Memphis pulled. Hou/FSU only brought 5.6M TVs. By comparison, we drew a 6.7 rating (10.8M) for our Fiesta Bowl in a game that everyone around the country says that we had no business playing in.

Off to Twitter I go...

Reaction Score
Wow. Our ratings are good for a crappy bowl and a crappy game. 2.4M measures with the 2.41 that Auburn/Memphis pulled. Hou/FSU only brought 5.6M TVs. By comparison, we drew a 6.7 rating (10.8M) for our Fiesta Bowl in a game that everyone around the country says that we had no business playing in.

Off to Twitter I go...
I been meaning to say thank you for fighting the good fight on twitter like you do. A while back I used to engage these fools that bad mouthed uconn on message boards but got tired of it after we got snubbed by the ACC last go round. You my friend are doing the Lord's work.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Very little activity. May be posting under another account.

I don't think he is quite the attention whore that the Dude is. I also think that MH has an actual connection at one of the Big 10 athletic departments (Ohio State?), which is where he would get his occasionally accurate information. Since the Big 10 is not playing a role in this, his guy might not know anything.

Reaction Score
They may want Cincy for access to Midwestern recruits, though if that is the case why not grab a FL school. Cincy is a borderline community college in a pro sports town where everyone supports OSU and the B1G. Maybe it could work, who knows.
Hi TCU grad in NYC, and a huge proponent of adding UCONN here.
How many community colleges do you know with over 1b endowment, a 200yr old bday coming in 3 years and a medical and law school?
I'm no fan of TT but there is no doubt the Gunner Keil injury hurt them this year, UC and UCONN are the obvious adds to me. I would support some effort to shore up the Houston area as well but think that could be accomplished through a scheduling partnership with Rice a la ACC/ND.
After all, as Texans the state of Connecticut gave us the Bushs and Cincinnati gave us the Twin sister cannons, two of our most sacred treasures :p

Dooley

Reaction Score
I been meaning to say thank you for fighting the good fight on twitter like you do. A while back I used to engage these fools that bad mouthed uconn on message boards but got tired of it after we got snubbed by the ACC last go round. You my friend are doing the Lord's work.

I need help, man. Instead of working today, I have been arguing with some woman from Waco about UConn + B12. Every time these CR rumors start and there is smoke from official places, I get sucked out of my real life and right back into the Land of CR.

Reaction Score
I need help, man. Instead of working today, I have been arguing with some woman from Waco about UConn + B12. Every time these CR rumors start and there is smoke from official places, I get sucked out of my real life and right back into the Land of CR.

I have been working the OU and UT board for months on your behalf and their armor is cracking. Do not fret you are not alone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom