Non-Key Tweets | Page 801 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
I can’t see how we don’t get a home for UConn football in the B12 if this happens. It makes too much sense to play a handful B12 football games in the northeast if you are going to play a ton of basketball there. It would be a huge missed opportunity.

Reaction Score

A interesting thought… we are certainly putting our selfs in a good position with the way our basketball and football have preformed lately… if the offer includes football I would take a serious look at joining the big 12

Reaction Score
UConn Sports Revenue....click on UConn icon...I was surprised that total revenue surpassed that of Cincinnati...Cincy's basketball operating expense was a fraction of UConn's while they expended more in football....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If that's the case:
BigXII: "Would you..."
Appropriate AD Dave responses:
"In a heartbeat!"
"You had me at hello..."
"Yes, Yes, a 1000x YES!"
"I thought you'd never ask!"
I'll Take It!!!

Reaction Score

I'm pretty sure that this is the same tripe that MH ver or some other kook was peddling earlier in the week, but playing along I'm not sure how this makes an ounce of sense considering that The Big East has a substantial buyout penalty. The only way this works is if you are offered actual membership in the conference with eventual full share and a home for football.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that this is the same tripe that MH ver or some other kook was peddling earlier in the week, but playing along I'm not sure how this makes an ounce of sense considering that The Big East has a substantial buyout penalty. The only way this works is if you are offered actual membership in the conference with eventual full share and a home for football.
Yes the buyout from the Big East before 2026 is $30 million dropping to $15 million thereafter.

I don't think UConn is leaving the Big East to go from $4 million to $10 million in TV money annually which is probably what a Basketball only offering in the Big 12 would be at best.

It's a slightly different calculus for Gonzaga since they currently have all the leverage in that league as they get an unequal balance of WCC tourney credits ($1.2 mill annually) but a tiny tv contract and a much weaker basketball league compared to the Big East. The buy out is likely also miniscule because of the leverage they've exploited v. the WCC.

Reaction Score
Yes the buyout from the Big East before 2026 is $30 million dropping to $15 million thereafter.

I don't think UConn is leaving the Big East to go from $4 million to $10 million in TV money annually which is probably what a Basketball only offering in the Big 12 would be at best.

It's a slightly different calculus for Gonzaga since they currently have all the leverage in that league as they get an unequal balance of WCC tourney credits ($1.2 mill annually) but a tiny tv contract and a much weaker basketball league compared to the Big East. The buy out is likely also miniscule because of the leverage they've exploited v. the WCC.
In 3 years at 10 million you've covered the buyout. BUT the buyout could be negotiated down or the Big 12 could help with it, or it could have X number of football games attached to the agreement. Just saying there could be a lot of variables that could factor in such a scenario. It's not a slam dunk no.

Reaction Score
I’m assuming the ONLY way we are considering this is if we are going with football AND basketball with eventual full membership (if not starting that way). We are not leaving the Big East for partial payouts or partial participation.

Reaction Score

Getting way over the tips of my skis…

If a simple majority of the BE were to join the B12 for basketball, would a buyout even be needed? Football is Indy, and if we move with the rest of the BE, this could negate any buyout.

Reaction Score
I’m assuming the ONLY way we are considering this is if we are going with football AND basketball with eventual full membership (if not starting that way). We are not leaving the Big East for partial payouts or partial participation.
Definitely. Look at Pitt’s recruiting post Big East.

Reaction Score
In 3 years at 10 million you've covered the buyout. BUT the buyout could be negotiated down or the Big 12 could help with it, or it could have X number of football games attached to the agreement. Just saying there could be a lot of variables that could factor in such a scenario. It's not a slam dunk no.
UConn makes about $4 million today so it's really only an increase of $6 million YOY to get to 10. So only the new $6 is going towards paying down the buyout. Then you have to factor in additional travel costs. Probably costs an extra million or two, so now it's only an increase of $4 million. In the realm of the University of Connecticut that is a billion dollar entity and college athletics in general it's not much of a difference.

Reaction Score
UConn makes about $4 million today so it's really only an increase of $6 million YOY to get to 10. So only the new $6 is going towards paying down the buyout. Then you have to factor in additional travel costs. Probably costs an extra million or two, so now it's only an increase of $4 million. In the realm of the University of Connecticut that is a billion dollar entity and college athletics in general it's not much of a difference.
The big east will be making more then 4 million in 2025

Reaction Score
The big east will be making more then 4 million in 2025
Exactly. I think the minimum Big 12 would need to offer here is 15 million minimum to make it remotely worthwhile for UConn. Especially factoring in challenges it will present UConn in recruiting and such.

Reaction Score
Ya.. it’s pretty cool now… our teams take bus rides to at least three games maybe more…plus the big east tournament… mens and women’s… plus all the non revenue sports… that’s got to be quite a bit of money savings

Reaction Score
MH ver3@MH ver3
·
7h
Also Dodds confirms there has been interest from both sides between the four corners and B12. Something that should (but won’t) shut up a lot of the naysayers.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
5h
Yormark envisions basketball revenue to double for some conferences like B10 and ACC over the next 5 years as live tv becomes more and more important to networks.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
5h
Yormark is trying to broker a future B10/B12 Challenge with Fox and the B10 in basketball. Warren leaving kind of out a pause on that until his replacement is identified.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
17m
Any Big East basketball fans on here? Just curious what your thoughts are on what would happen if two founding members and one on-again off-again member does indeed get invited to join the Big12 to pair with Gonzaga as non-football members?

Hall Ball@SHUWalshgym
·
10m
Replying to @MH ver3
I can’t see any members of the Big 12 agreeing to share revenues with basketball only institutions.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
7m
Replying to @SHUWalshgym
They’d only need to share about 7-8m per each of the 4 schools. And there are ongoing discussions on how that money could be generated through selling the extra inventory.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If that's the case:
BigXII: "Would you..."
Appropriate AD Dave responses:
"In a heartbeat!"
"You had me at hello..."
"Yes, Yes, a 1000x YES!"
"I thought you'd never ask!"
Perhaps, but what he be thinking, is “sure, if no one else asks.”

Reaction Score
MH ver3@MH ver3
·
7h
Also Dodds confirms there has been interest from both sides between the four corners and B12. Something that should (but won’t) shut up a lot of the naysayers.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
5h
Yormark envisions basketball revenue to double for some conferences like B10 and ACC over the next 5 years as live tv becomes more and more important to networks.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
5h
Yormark is trying to broker a future B10/B12 Challenge with Fox and the B10 in basketball. Warren leaving kind of out a pause on that until his replacement is identified.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
17m
Any Big East basketball fans on here? Just curious what your thoughts are on what would happen if two founding members and one on-again off-again member does indeed get invited to join the Big12 to pair with Gonzaga as non-football members?

Hall Ball@SHUWalshgym
·
10m
Replying to @MH ver3
I can’t see any members of the Big 12 agreeing to share revenues with basketball only institutions.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
7m
Replying to @SHUWalshgym
They’d only need to share about 7-8m per each of the 4 schools. And there are ongoing discussions on how that money could be generated through selling the extra inventory.
I doubt any big east schools will want to go over to the big12

Reaction Score
If the price is only $7-$8M per basketball school I don't think you're likely to see any Big East school jump.. unless the new Big East TV deal is much lower than speculated.

Reaction Score
If the price is only $7-$8M per basketball school I don't think you're likely to see any Big East school jump.. unless the new Big East TV deal is much lower than speculated.
You never know…but I’m guessing the big east tv deal will be between 7 and 9 million a year per school

CL82

Reaction Score
$15 million will be for 2027 and 2028 Thereafter the exit fee will drop to $10 million.

Reaction Score
MH ver3@MH ver3
·
42m
Rumors swirling today that there may be merger talks brewing between Pac12 and Big12 again. An olive branch was extended by GK to BY with terms that favor B12 this time. We’ll see if it gets traction.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
43m
Interestingly enough Stanford and Cal would not be part of this proposed merger. Not sure what’s going on there yet-just hearing preliminary info-but hearing it from multiple sources. Stay tuned.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
40m
This merger would trigger pro-rata for espn contract and allow fox to reopen their contract-Amazon could be a part of this as well from what I’m hearing. There would be a LOT of extra inventory. Again-let’s see if anything comes from it.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
39m
One source tells me this is a desperation play from GK since the money isn’t there that he promised his schools. He’s trying to get them in the best position possible and then gracefully bow out.

MH ver3@MH ver3
·
35m
Pac voted on SDSU and SMU again. Again they did not have 8 yes votes for either school. This happened sometime in the past few days.

Reaction Score
MH ver3@MH ver3

March 7th. I’m being told there will be a Big12 meeting that evening that could potentially have huge ramifications for the Big12 and the college sports landscape in general.

4:33 PM · Feb 19, 2023

CL82

Reaction Score
MH ver3@MH ver3

March 7th. I’m being told there will be a Big12 meeting that evening that could potentially have huge ramifications for the Big12 and the college sports landscape in general.

4:33 PM · Feb 19, 2023
Lol, this is a classic West Virginia tweet. Read the meeting schedule and then make a vague comment that gives you plausible deniability if nothing happens, but let you victory lap. If anything that can be twisted into a positive development does happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom