Non-Key Tweets | Page 774 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
If there is demand for 30-40 college teams to become semi-professional, then the NFL is leaving money on the table. They should expand and play on Fridays and Saturdays. Now, I’m not sure this is the case, but Mondays and Thursdays have been good to the NFL product.

I agree. No real playoff and further professionalism will kill this.

Reaction Score
Can FOX help us with scheduling 2 games a year, H/A, versus B10? That would be a big win for us.

Reaction Score
Okay, I will bite on this one. How on earth are you going to trade someone midseason with them in the middle of classes, exams, and being in a specific major?

Other than being cut, which technically can happen every year with scholarships but doesn't, this take is a bit extreme.
The comment was my thought following up on Kelly’s comment about pro teams associated with colleges rather than college teams made up of students. He mentioned trades and cuts. I carried it to the logical conclusion. If you are a pro, presumably you are subject to trade. But going from Ann Arbor to Starkville might not be the worst. How about USC and LA TO Rutgers! USC to USC-East.

Reaction Score
college football fan@Genetics56 · 8h
More sourced info: FOX's side of the Big Ten TV contract is roughly $659M per year. $110M per school. I don't know if that is at the start or end of the contract. It's unofficial, officially Big Ten is moving away from divisions. 4 protected rivals. 12-team playoff. ND is in play

When I say Notre Dame is in play, it's not right away, but, yes, it's real. It's not until 2036 either. USC + ND is very real, as are the top Pac 12 brands.

Sourced info: All P5 conferences agree that college football should break away from the NCAA. That isn't breaking news, but you need consensus first. What there isn't agreement on is if it should include all G5 schools too.

Sourced info: The Pac 12, Big 12 once OU and UT leave, are projected at around $40M pear year, which the Pac 12 a little more than that. The Pac 12 and Big 12 brands are looking at a $60M deficit every year against SEC and Big Ten.

And when football breaks away, do some of the Big 12 schools move to the Big Ten and SEC? That isn't known, but an interesting question.

Do Big Ten fans think it is smart for the Big Ten to move away from ESPN in order to have FOX Noon game, CBS 3:30 pm EST, FS1 weekly game, NBC night game, CBS/NBC 1 game streaming?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If there is demand for 30-40 college teams to become semi-professional, then the NFL is leaving money on the table. They should expand and play on Fridays and Saturdays. Now, I’m not sure this is the case, but Mondays and Thursdays have been good to the NFL product.

The NFL has tried to create a football minor league 4 different times in the last 20+ years, and all have failed. I was watching the USFL in a pub last night, and I doubt there were 2 thousand fans in the stands. Why would a minor league with logos of schools on the uniforms do any better?

It feels like college sports is going over a precipice that it won't know it has gone over until it is too late.

Reaction Score
The NFL has tried to create a football minor league 4 different times in the last 20+ years, and all have failed. I was watching the USFL in a pub last night, and I doubt there were 2 thousand fans in the stands. Why would a minor league with logos of schools on the uniforms do any better?

It feels like college sports is going over a precipice that it won't know it has gone over until it is too late.
The one location concept of the USFL ruins it. They need fans in the seats. When Birmingham plays, they have some fans and it is a much better experience. I am assuming that next season, the USFL teams will play in their home cities?

I read somewhere that they started it this way to get ahead of the XFL by being a year earlier. They didn't have stadium agreements ready or anything, so they put it all in Birmingham. They thought if they were established first, they'd have a much better chance of being the survivor of the two.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that they started it this way to get ahead of the XFL by being a year earlier. They didn't have stadium agreements ready or anything, so they put it all in Birmingham. They thought if they were established first, they'd have a much better chance of being the survivor of the two.
That was what I saw as well... although it might not be until year 3

Reaction Score

college football fan@Genetics56 · 4h
With sources that I got the Big Ten TV deal info from end up correct that ESPN is not in the new TV deal, I think FOOTBALL can survive without issue if games are played on CBS, NBC, and main FOX channel every Saturday, all day long. ESPN can't ignore that. It's influential.

college football fan@Genetics56· 4h
CBS on Sunday will advertise a Big Ten game. NBC Sunday night football will advertise. FOX will advertise. Sure ESPN will talk less about the Big Ten, but the games will still get their advertise pub on football Sunday's.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur@flugempire
·
5h
The realignment process always begins with school calling conference first.

We never had any info Oregon and Washington had called Big Ten.

But I’m guessing they are calling Warren right now.

Let this thing breath for a bit on the question of Oregon and Washington to B1G.

Greg Flugaur@flugempire
·
3h
We’ve been told it would cost Notre Dame 120-140 million to pay off ACC Grants of Rights and added Exit Fee.

Notre Dame would come out ahead if they paid this cost and join Big Ten for 2024 season.

Greg Flugaur@flugempire
·
1h
There is so much going on…

Expect a long train of tweets coming out of this account early tomorrow morning with BTM “the source” information.

Hint: Boosters out west are thrilled and expect another shoe to drop…they have their reasons.

Greg Flugaur@flugempire
·
43m
Big Ten Conference is now a National Conference.

Greg Flugaur@flugempire
·
27m
Keep in mind….FOX and Big Ten has finished the new valuations on Oregon, Washington, Notre Dame, Stanford and others weeks ago.

Now the phone calls are coming into Big Ten….

If 17, 18 happens….it happens quickly. It won’t take long.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur@flugempire
·
5m

“….at this time”

The next domino is Notre Dame’s decision to either change course (Big Ten) or remain independent in Football.

Everything else has to wait.

I wouldn’t read anymore into this statement “at this time”…..than what I just stated.

Quote Tweet
Ryan Kartje@Ryan_Kartje
· 17m
Multiple sources tell @latimes that no other Pac-12 members are expected to be added to the Big Ten at this time.

Oregon, Washington, Stanford, etc. will not be following USC and UCLA.

Reaction Score
What if the college football playoff becomes 8 teams, 4 each from the SEC and Big 10? How many teams does that leave out that have a realistic chance of competing for a championship? Maybe Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame, and Oregon. I think Notre Dame is debating their options.

Reaction Score

My only disagreement is that I think everyone can see at this point that it's going over right now. You just didn't know how close you were to the correct date.

Reaction Score
What if the college football playoff becomes 8 teams, 4 each from the SEC and Big 10? How many teams does that leave out that have a realistic chance of competing for a championship? Maybe Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame, and Oregon. I think Notre Dame is debating their options.
UCF
1656678226433.jpeg

Reaction Score
In reality we are heading toward the Big 10.

Our AD said these is 2 power entities and schools will have to pick one. His words when he said that we're foreboding.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur@flugempire · 1h
BTM

“More is coming. But now Big Ten is giving Notre Dame space. Notre Dame was not caught off guard and their decision making will be wrapped up in hours or days, not weeks.”

BTM

“Washington, Oregon and possibly Stanford know they are waiting on Notre Dame. The wait won’t be long. Addition of Notre Dame would pay for a larger Big Ten expansion on its own.”

BTM

“Notre Dame’s Board of Trustees is the next piece. Notre Dame’s Athletic Director has kept them informed for last few months. Not starting from scratch. Boosters are engaged and will green light move to Big Ten if called upon”

BTM

“Notre Dame moving to ACC for Football is not an option for the University.”

college football fan@Genetics56 · 2h
Oregon and Washington are going to be very desperate, same with Stanford, so we will see what they do to try and get to the Big Ten. USC, UCLA, Stanford, and Notre Dame. I am sure Phil Knight will make things happen.

college football fan@Genetics56 · 1h
RE: Notre Dame to Big Ten. If ND withdraws Olympic sports from the ACC they are NOT forced to join the ACC. It simply becomes a paying a check at that pint to join the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten has gone scorched earth to get what they want - Notre Dame.

Everybody's got a price.
Everybody's gonna pay.
'Cause the Million Dollar Man
Always gets his way!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A quarter of a century ago (I believe the summer of 1998) the BIG offered ND a spot in the conference. There were rumors that the president and athletic director were leaning towards accepting. This led to an emergency board meeting where the school's employees were told inno uncertain terms that they could not join a conference for football.

I imagine that the more time passes (and the fewer significant alumni who cherish football independence remain), ND will be less determined at a leadership level to remain independent. I imagine the BIG is looking at early to mid 2030's to start their move on ND.

ND is a valuable target for the BIG as they are the reason the BIG doesn't have Chicago locked up.

Reaction Score
A quarter of a century ago (I believe the summer of 1998) the BIG offered ND a spot in the conference. There were rumors that the president and athletic director were leaning towards accepting. This led to an emergency board meeting where the school's employees were told inno uncertain terms that they could not join a conference for football.

I imagine that the more time passes (and the fewer significant alumni who cherish football independence remain), ND will be less determined at a leadership level to remain independent. I imagine the BIG is looking at early to mid 2030's to start their move on ND.

ND is a valuable target for the BIG as they are the reason the BIG doesn't have Chicago locked up.
Faculty voted to join, and the admin were mostly on board.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Faculty voted to join, and the admin were mostly on board.
What’s your take on the ACC GOR? Do you view it as a significant impediment to Notre Dame moving if it ever decided to forgo its football independence?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom