Non-Key Tweets | Page 744 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I would agree with both of those statements.

The only way we see any movement is if the B1G or SEC decide, or are told by their TV partners, that adding current P5 schools up the ante. Then we will see some back-filling to the conferences that get raided

And it’s almost impossible to think someone is going to raise the rake.

Reaction Score
The ACC is bound up through 2036...but if, and a big IF, Notre Dame ever dropped being football indy, I could see the ACC moving into Texas. for #16.

Not an elegant geographic match, though.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The ACC is bound up through 2036...but if, and a big IF, Notre Dame ever dropped being football indy, I could see the ACC moving into Texas. for #16.

Not an elegant geographic match, though.
But could you see Texas joining the ACC? Or did you mean Houston? I can't see that. Houston is a bad fit for the ACC. Good fit for the Texas Big 12 sub cult though.

Reaction Score
But could you see Texas joining the ACC? Or did you mean Houston? I can't see that. Houston is a bad fit for the ACC. Good fit for the Texas Big 12 sub cult though.

As long as Texas has the LHN, there is no reason for them to leave the B12, certainly not for the ACC.

They are making more money than any of the ACC schools, including Notre Dame, and they are kings of the castle in the B12. The only way Texas possibly gets a raise, and I'm not sure that will happen based on where TV revenues are going, is to go to the B1G.

I don't EVER see Houston being a fit for the ACC

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The next non-P5 school to undergo an NCAA investigation and get a relative slap on the wrist or less is the next and best candidate for expansion.

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone is going anywhere but if you said who is the best G5 candidate for the P5 I’d answer Houston. Don’t think it’s close.

I think it's pretty darn close actually. Houston has appeal to the Big 12 (as long as they want another Texas school.) Who else? Certainly not the B1G or SEC. Maybe the ACC. That's it right?

UConn has appeal to the ACC and the B1G.

Cincinnati has appeal to the ACC, Big 12, and maybe the SEC, but definitely not the B1G.

UCF has appeal to the Big 12 and....I can't see anyone else.

If the Big 12 expands, then Houston is a logical favorite. But if it's anyone else, then Houston is basically out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think it's pretty darn close actually. Houston has appeal to the Big 12 (as long as they want another Texas school.) Who else? Certainly not the B1G or SEC. Maybe the ACC. That's it right?

UConn has appeal to the ACC and the B1G.

Cincinnati has appeal to the ACC, Big 12, and maybe the SEC, but definitely not the B1G.

UCF has appeal to the Big 12 and....I can't see anyone else.

If the Big 12 expands, then Houston is a logical favorite. But if it's anyone else, then Houston is basically out.

Essentially none of those schools have any appeal to anyone - that is why there is an American Athletic Conference.

Houston has what nobody else in the G5 has. A lunatic billioniaire who puts his money where his mouth is. That is what puts them in the front of a line for a club that probably isn’t going to open the door.

If anyone expands - it’s the PAC12 anyway - they have to solve their network distribution. Which they won’t because they allow a stark raving grifting lunatic to be their commissioner.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Hammer away at me for this question. But WHEN our men's hoops is back to where it belongs, could we look to the ACC for a Notre Dame type deal? We would have to go indy with football, but with a scheduling alliance that becomes more doable. Our home games could be broadcast on SNY. It puts us in a better position in terms of a possible future home if ND ever leaves independence. It helps the ACC with scheduling since they have an odd number of teams in basketball and also adds another rival for the northern teams and gives them another leg into NY.
In my over sized head and under sized brain I think everyone gets something out of it. I'm not saying the ACC would take us up on it, but isn't it worth a shot?
Fire away!

Reaction Score
ACC won’t (cant) expand without ND’s blessing. The scuttle at the time it happened was the ACC was targeting ND and Texas for part-time membership but Texas held off. Kiss the leprechaun’s ring if you want an invite with ND.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But WHEN our men's hoops is back to where it belongs, could we look to the ACC for a Notre Dame type deal?
Yes.
Would we get it?
No.

They won't dilute their payout with another mother to feed unless someone else is footing bill. Think ESPN is going to do that when they already have our rights for pennies?

Reaction Score
No....Great basketball will probably not be enough to attract the ACC.

More goodness in basketball isn't really a need in the ACC....
.......They are already a good BB league.
........Football still counts more to the media. (See BE contract).
........ESPN and the ACCN will already be in New York via DirectTV and Altice.

Football will still be looked at as a driver....
.....grabbing a decent football partner to come in with the Irish would augment the strength in middle of the conference to better compete with the SEC neighbors.
.....if a further P5 type consolidation comes down the pike, it will center on football brands.
.....Championship basketball can exist outside the P5 envelope...the jury is still out on football programs.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 4h4 hours ago
If case you didn't notice last night the Big 12 took another unifying step last night. It's also another step to an eventual conference network.

Matteo‏ @iMT21 4h4 hours ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV
Talking about the IMG deal?

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 3h3 hours ago
Yea...

Right now all the signs point to the Big 12 expanding in 2025.

[SPACE FOR SALE. YOUR AD HERE]‏ @thetimsmith 4h4 hours ago
So your hypothesis is that other conferences are building networks. Big 12 will follow suit. I’m a big fan of some Florida schools getting in the big 12 as it would bring my favorite football team down here once a year (or more with a good bowl game).

Replying to @thetimsmith
UCF has a very long shot but only if the Big 12 can't lure at least two from the Pac 12. Knights have to keep on winning and making a splash. USF might have a longer shot. It depends on who the partner with ESPN is for the TV contract.

[SPACE FOR SALE. YOUR AD HERE]‏ @thetimsmith 4h4 hours ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV
Safe bet that Miami / FSU / UF aren’t leaving SEC or ACC right? I’d love to see JMU find its way into the Big 12 but I know I’m dreaming.

Nobody is leaving the SEC and the ACC has a GoR until 2035 plus ACCN. ESPN is locking down rights long-term.

Art Vandelay ™️‏ @AdamHough1 4h4 hours ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV @thetimsmith
I’d prefer to see UCF than USF in the big XII as I think it would help the TV market better but would like to lure some PAC schools (Colorado again) to the Big XII.

Funny that you mentioned that because when the Big 12 hired the outside firms for independent valuations UCF/USF was the most valuable... as a combo.

Brian Rice‏ @StudioBPR 4h4 hours ago
It seems to make sense to have both for northern recruiting; ie, KSU, ISU, KU, WVU in a division with Fl schools would play at least one game in Fl each year while the other Fl school visits them. Selling point for Fl recruits to get to play in front of family every year.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV Apr 23
Big 12 takes another step in solidifying the future with new deal with Leerfield IMG.

Mountaineer Steve‏ @Mountaineer_Ste 4h4 hours ago
I wonder if that means, WVU does not have to pay a buy out.

Replying to @Mountaineer_Ste
Let's say WVU was invited to the ACC. WVU wouldn't leave until the Big 12 had a replacement lined up. Just like the SEC and Missouri didn't pull the trigger until the Big 12 had WVU on deck. Likely no buyout.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 3h3 hours ago
If you're not paying attention the Mercury News is killing it on documenting issues with the Pac 12. Obviously the Pac 12 has time to cure their ills but the trending just gets better & better for the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 14h14 hours ago
I think @theDudeofWV found out what the Big 12 deal with ESPN+ truly consist of and is in panic mode..lashing out at everyone.

1) UT & OU playing no part in deal.
2) New Revenue for “other 8” does not exist.
3) B12 CCG’s 19,21,23 were sold to ESPN for much less than expected.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 8h8 hours ago
Replying to @flugempire
Greg, I'll accept any claim you have on big 12 knowledge when you explain how you could proclaim that Fox wanted the Big 12 to expand and that UCONN and UC would be added.

Replying to @flugempire
1. OU is on the executive council that brokered the deal.
2. The add-on contract pays an additional $22M per year. Fox's option paid $20M a year for the CCG.
3. Big 12 CCG sold to ESPN for exactly what the Big 12 was asking as per SBJ.
4. You should get your damn facts right.

justacoog‏ @rphdjd 13h13 hours ago
Replying to @flugempire @theDudeofWV
Need to kickstart OU and UT out and start adding schools to rebuild the B 12 that deserve to be there

wrong on all counts... but what do we expect from the guy who claimed Fox supported Big 12 expansion.

Mark Kochenderfer‏ @MarkKochenderfe 13h13 hours ago
Replying to @flugempire @theDudeofWV
Have the official details been made public? I recall the article and SBJ a few weeks ago but that’s been disputed as inaccurate by just about everybody. I honestly don’t think I understand the details of this deal.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 13h13 hours ago
First

“OSU athletic director Mike Holder said that his department is unlikely to reap much revenue from the new agreement, “but there’s a great opportunity for exposure on a platform that’s really exciting.”

Second,

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-big-12-streaming-championship-game-pricing.html …

Third,

“The Big 12 wanted around $20 million for each game. ESPN wanted to pay much less. It became clear pretty quickly that they couldn’t come to terms on money, so they had to get more creative”

“That’s where streaming rights came into play. ESPN had embarked on a strategy of buying as many rights as it could for ESPN+. It was particularly interested in college sports, believing that schools’ rabid fans are more likely to buy a $5 monthly subscription”.

“It’s notable that ESPN only wound up paying $40 million for this deal, which would be $13.33 million per conference championship game without even considering the value of the streaming content they’re adding. So that’s not close to what the Big 12 wanted”

40m for entire deal.

Doug‏ @NebGradDubDub 11h11 hours ago
Replying to @flugempire @theDudeofWV @MarkKochenderfe
No. This is the lack of worthin the B12 deal outside of OU and Texas

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 10h10 hours ago
Replying to @NebGradDubDub @flugempire @MarkKochenderfe
It maintains the CCG payout, adds more $ than the schools (except WVU) participating for the first 6 years received for T3 TV rights AND cemented the Big 12's relationship with ESPN.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 10h10 hours ago
It doesn’t do any of those things. It does add exposure for 8 Big 12 schools for their 3T content.

My advice to you guys... stop trying to pick the Big 12 deal apart and start figuring out the math of the B1G adding OU and explain how BTN maintains revenue levels given cord-cutting stats in B1G states.

BTN may not be able to obtain 8-9 mil per school with additions of OU +1.

But Big Ten Tier 1/2 become even more valuable.

Duke Ian MacNeal‏ @Ian_MacNeal 9h9 hours ago
OU is a national brand and plays great football. They’ll add value anywhere they land.

What is so #$%&ing hard to understand about this deal. ESPN picked up what Fox opted out of... including T3 football.

ESPN paid much lower than FOX was going to pay Big 12 for CCG’s.

Big 12 3T content was thrown in for basically no cost to ESPN to get deal done.

40 Million for 3 CCG’s and 3T.

40 mil is the deal.

Balerion the Dread!‏ @zainmujtaba 10h10 hours ago
Oh come now! don’t bother @theDudeofWV with inconvenient facts!

Anybody who thinks the Big 12 does anything without the approval and buy-in of Texas and Oklahoma shouldn't be allowed to comment on Big 12 matters.

Bruce Harris‏ @JBruceHarris 8h8 hours ago
I’m just agreeing that Big 12 should go ahead and run OU and texas out of the conference...seems legit

Replying to @JBruceHarris @rphdjd @flugempire
The Big 12 and Fox had a bad breakup. A nasty breakup. ESPN stepped in and covered Fox's option & added money to the pot. Plus there are no more appearance regulations which means the top half of the conf is on national TV more.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 8h8 hours ago
ESPN did not add money to the pot. ESPN low balled the crap out Big 12 for the 3 CCG’s. Way below Big 12 future projections. No revenue added. Go read what Oklahoma State Holder said about the deal.

If you add in the sister-deal with Leerfield IMG its even better. The Big 12 is doing to distribute over $45M for 2019 and it will be over $50M per member for the remainder of the contract.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 7h7 hours ago
Each Big 12 school already had sponsorship deals in their 3T individual rights. This IMG deal just bundles some the rights together to sell. Only Dude would make this bigger than what it truly is.

Plus go back thru Greg's timeline and read where he was trying to bust my chops claiming that OU lost money on producing their 1 T3 football game. Now he's trying to claim OU wouldn't want out of that? Fox wouldn't let OU out.

I’m correcting all of your factual errors. So are other people. 40 million for the whole deal(3 CCG + 3T content of over 50 events of the 8 schools for 6 years) That’s it. 40 million.

The reason I'm testy is that the B1G boys keep throwing stupid, incorrect stuff at me. Like the Big 12 lost $90M or took less for its CCG. The facts are ESPN already owned the rights to the CCG. This money is for not expanding.

Replying to @theDudeofWV @JBruceHarris @rphdjd
You got everything wrong.

OU is not providing any 3T content to ESPN*. Zero. OU won’t be producing any games for ESPN+. OU, of course, will be road team at times. But OU gave up no 3T rights in this ESPN+ deal.

Replying to @theDudeofWV @JBruceHarris @rphdjd
ESPN did not already own the 3 odd year Big 12 CCG. ESPN just got them in an incredibly low ball bid with Big 12.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 6h6 hours ago
By the way I’m working to clarify what I believe is a factual misstatement about the contract. I believe ESPN is paying $22M for the B12 CCG & the B12 is selling T3 TV rights to ESPN for a separate amount.

Balerion the Dread!‏ @zainmujtaba 6h6 hours ago
@theDudeofWV everything in the press has made it clear that ESPN is getting a great deal and the Big 12 essentially either took a major haircut for the CG, or a minor haircut on the CG and 8 programs gave up their T3 content for free.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 6h6 hours ago
Replying to @zainmujtaba @theDudeofWV @BucsHawk
Yep.

Pretty simple to understand.
Also UT & OU have nothing to do with the deal.

Deal is an Improvement for 3T exposure of the 8 Big 12 schools.

BucsHawks‏ @BucsHawk 49m49 minutes ago
Okay, I finally caught up on more reading and did come across this article. Mainly the top paragraph about 40 million plus paying for existing deals. First I had seen of that.
D5cwlhaVUAAh0Yu.jpg

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 28m28 minutes ago
Replying to @BucsHawk @theDudeofWV
40 million for 3T content on ESPN+ and 3CCG’s in 19,21,23.

This is the deal.

ME: Who needs Netflix, Amazon Prime or Hulu when you could have the shitfest between the Dood and the Flug on Twitter? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reaction Score
What a crossover episode. Seeing made up insider accounts like Flug and the Dude argue. It's like S6 of Game of Thrones.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 2h2 hours ago
The story I’m working on involves the groundwork ESPN & the Big 12 have laid in preparation for the next TV deal that may come sooner rather than later and the possibility of the Big 12 having three broadcast partners & an exclusive weekly national broadcast on an OTA outlet.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 2h2 hours ago
Replying to @theDudeofWV
What the motivation for ESPN to extend T1&2 deal with Big 12 way before 2025?

ESPN has a habit of locking down properties long term. ESPN has also figured out they can bundle anything with SECN & make money. The B12 reacquiring T3 rights is the most important event since the B12 signed a GoR.

Doug‏ @NebGradDubDub 4h4 hours ago
If A&M were still in the B12 the financial resources and attractiveness of the job would not have been there.

FreeMason‏ @kenneyclone 3h3 hours ago
Completely opposite scenarios... A&M moving made total sense.. A&M was under TX shadow and move didn’t destroy their 100 year recruiting grounds did it. OU needs Tx and Tx needs OU.. you think OU will ever have as much success as they have in big 12 going to BIG? Zero chance

Replying to @kenneyclone @NebGradDubDub and 6 others
Stop debating. Its over. OU isnt leaving. But the metrics are not kind to outliers. Pick the expansion school with the most success...

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 4h4 hours ago
Of course OU is a National Brand..it’s why I referred to the Sooners as a big whale.

Replying to @flugempire @kenneyclone and 6 others
Greg, you dont understand the value. You have no idea. Juststop.

Replying to @LifeofFitz
ESPN has a habit of locking down properties long term. ESPN has also figured out they can bundle anything with SECN & make money. The B12 reacquiring T3 rights is the most important event since the B12 signed a GoR.

B12 has basically two separate OTA contracts with Fox & ESPN. Its possible for the B12 to extend its deal with ESPN & not Fox with ESPN having an option on the remaining rights should Fox not participate. CBS is interested in replacing Fox.

ESPN would prefer the Big 12 to extend primary deal & GoR within the next two years. The first step was the consolidation of rights from third parties.

The relationship with Fox is damaged perhaps beyond repair opening the door for CBS. CBS fears losing exclusive SEC game.

A contact with direct knowledge of discussions between the B12 & the network said ESPN would do whatever is necessary to secure the Big 12 as an ESPN property longterm.

Both OU and UT have expressed their desire to remain in the Big 12 post 2025 to ESPN. I’m told an extension of the GoR before 2024 & as soon as 2020 is being discussed.

Replying to @theDudeofWV
Ok, that answers my question.

the doctor‏ @Spartan_buckeye 39m39 minutes ago
Okay dumb question if espn wanted to lock up the big 12 long term and pay them big bucks to do it. Why did they not give them the 20 million dollars per year for the conference championship or make this long term deal with the conference championship deal?

The Big 12 has been advised that a consolidation of T3 TV rights and a commitment by way of an extension of the GoR is necessary to secure a new TV deal or an extension from ESPN.

Christopher Lambert‏ @theDudeofWV 1h1 hour ago
The Big 12 would most certainly add at least two additional members at the onset of a new contract.

Its very possible that the Big 12 has an exclusive weekly national TV broadcast in the 3:30 slot on CBS.

Obviously this makes the Big 12 more attractive to Pac 12 schools. Which is the intended byproduct of the actions.

The Big 12 is interested in P12 members 1. UCLA 2. Cal 3. Arizona & 4. Arizona State. Interest does not mean contact or that it’s mutual interest.

Now you have to wait for me to write the story. No debate on this stuff. Big assertions I feel confident enough to make public.

One final point. The Big 12 is one big crazy island of talented misfit toys. UT & OU are bigger than any conference except the SEC. They both recognize how good they have it. If the money is ballpark - and it will be - they have no reason to leave and more reasons to stay.

I’m waiting on stuff about WVU. Once I have that I will publish.

If ESPN pulls this off they will control the rights of 3 of the 5 power conferences.

If that happens you can expect an informal scheduling alliance between the ACC, Big 12 & SEC with as many as 2 OoC games. Guess who wins if that happens.... ABC/ESPN.

I just couldn’t keep quiet.

Replying to @theDudeofWV
What the motivation for ESPN to extend T1&2 deal with Big 12 way before 2025?

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire
FollowFollow @flugempire
Greg Flugaur Retweeted Christopher Lambert

https://mobile.twitter.com/theDudeofWV/status/1126920367149338624 … This I believe. But again...why would OU & UT signed an extended deal in 2020..or 2021..or 22? Yes, the other 8 would love to..secure their future in Big 12. But this is not happening.

FreeMason‏ @kenneyclone 1h1 hour ago
Replying to @flugempire
Espn won’t let OU or TX leave.. this is why they have TX $150 mil years ago in the LHN.. in this day and age content is king and by having only 4 major conferences it lessens available content that can make $$..

Grizzfan‏ @ImaDepper 2h2 hours ago
Replying to @flugempire
Exactly right. How is this news? Just like in the expansion sweepstakes in '16, no Texas/OU GOR extension, no new TV deal.

Seanbo Sengo‏ @SeanboSengo 24m24 minutes ago
Replying to @flugempire
Would be bad business for UT & OU

Eric Waddell‏ @BearcatVol 2h2 hours ago
Replying to @flugempire
Leadership at both pit and Syracuse looked everybody else in the face in the Big East and said were staying. That’s how much I value that statement from Oklahoma and Texas. If it even occurred.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 1h1 hour ago
Greg Flugaur Retweeted Christopher Lambert

https://mobile.twitter.com/theDudeofWV/status/1126923282664574977 … Once in awhile Christopher and I do agree on some stuff. Not debating this is one of those times. It’s not worth the effort. It’s not happening.

Reaction Score
Drivel - 100% useless drivel

I don't know. I am actually kind of curious as to what the menu will be. In my mind's eye I'd imagine the Big Ten Man chowing down on a sausage sampler appetizer, baked Northern Pike with sides of sauerkraut and creamed corn, and topped off with a big slice (or two) of rhubarb pie and vanilla ice cream. Here's hoping Flugs gives us this sort of detail on Sunday.

Reaction Score
If that picture on his twitter site is actually his picture he should get the low cal option.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
There is just very little worth speculating about right now because the world needs to see just where cable household erosion stabilizes. Until then, all the juice that fueled CRA last time around remains too uncertain to bet on it again. Plus, I think geography/culture could result in a lot more resistance in the next phase - if there ever is a next phase - which won’t emerge to steer the process until the moment actually comes. I expect more vocal resistance to proposals for far flung super conferences regardless of the economics promised.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is just very little worth speculating about right now because the world needs to see just where cable household erosion stabilizes. Until then, all the juice that fueled CRA last time around remains too uncertain to bet on it again. Plus, I think geography/culture could result in a lot more resistance in the next phase - if there ever is a next phase - which won’t emerge to steer the process until the moment actually comes. I expect more vocal resistance to proposals for far flung super conferences regardless of the economics promised.

It's a very interesting time. Prior to the current structure, there was a period where the schools, not the conferences, negotiated these rights. Once cable became the normal mode of consumption rather than OTA broadcast, conferences began negotiating for their member schools and rights fees increased dramatically. To increase that leverage they got larger, seeking more valuable members based on content or market.

It's entirely possible that the future looks more like the past. As we shift back away from cable, some schools could conclude that they are better off selling their own rights. The whole conference structure could change dramatically. Potentially back to smaller more regional conferences. I think we've seem conference media rights go about as high as they are going to go.

There's no certainty at all about any of this.

Reaction Score
No member of the Big Ten will ever not be a member of the Big Ten. There are other benefits to membership besides money and athletics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom