Non-Key Tweets | Page 746 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Already left it when BC was picked up years back...and then Cuse...

I guess they could add Cincinnati for the Ohio in-state fee add.

But I like Houston's energy, ambition, and possible growth potential.

WVU would be good for rivalry games with Pitt, VT...but really adds little draw for a network
Pretty sure it goes by dma not by geography,

Reaction Score
So last week he told us that he was having dinner w BTM. Today he says BTM told him this morning.

Could the BTM actually be the blow up doll he sleeps with?

Reaction Score
Pretty sure it goes by dma not by geography,

The BTN and SECN get paid different subscriber amounts for "in market" and "out of market" subscribers. Big Ten states are considered "market" except for New York (NYC is "market" but not upstate). Maryland's footprint includes a small strip od Northern Virginia and DC.

The SECN has all of Texas in their defined footprint

Adding Houston over WVU would be a monetary plus.

In expanding its scholastic footprint, the Big Ten also increased the value of the BTN's New York and D.C. subscribers. According to SNL Kagan data, cable operators pay an estimated "in-market" rate of $1 per sub per month, more than double the $0.44 fees charged outside the conference's home markets.

CL82

Reaction Score
The BTN and SECN get paid different subscriber amounts for "in market" and "out of market" subscribers. Big Ten states are considered "market" except for New York (NYC is "market" but not upstate). Maryland's footprint includes a small strip od Northern Virginia and DC.

The SECN has all of Texas in their defined footprint

Adding Houston over WVU would be a monetary plus.

In expanding its scholastic footprint, the Big Ten also increased the value of the BTN's New York and D.C. subscribers. According to SNL Kagan data, cable operators pay an estimated "in-market" rate of $1 per sub per month, more than double the $0.44 fees charged outside the conference's home markets.
Yep, so DMA, right? Cinci would draw the Cinci DMA not all of Ohio. That's why Rutgers got the Big 10 the NYC DMA not just NJ.

Reaction Score
None of Houston, Cincy or WVU will ever be in the ACC.

Houston and Cincy will never be “Power 5” schools

CL82

Reaction Score
None of Houston, Cincy or WVU will ever be in the ACC.

Houston and Cincy will never be “Power 5” schools
He knows that he's just trolling.

Reaction Score
Yep, so DMA, right? Cinci would draw the Cinci DMA not all of Ohio. That's why Rutgers got the Big 10 the NYC DMA not just NJ.

All of Texas is SEC "in market"....All of Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina....

Reaction Score
why would the ACC want WV?
From an athletic standpoint, football, basketball, footprint they fit. Any Academic idea went out the window. Which school was put on probation by the accreditation body for academic problems, Louisville, West Virginia, or North Carolina?. We all know who and that ends any resemblance of the ACC being concerned about academics.

Reaction Score
From an athletic standpoint, football, basketball, footprint they fit. Any Academic idea went out the window. Which school was put on probation by the accreditation body for academic problems, Louisville, West Virginia, or North Carolina?. We all know who and that ends any resemblance of the ACC being concerned about academics.

Who said anything about academics? What does WV add in terms of revenue to justify everyone getting a smaller piece of pie?
They are of decent quality so they add _some_ value in terms of improved matchups. But they bring almost nothing in terms of TV as their 'best' markets Pittsburgh (Pitt) and DC (UVa) are already covered.

Reaction Score
That's not my understanding of how it works. Here's a link to the DMA's.
SEC Network landed its biggest fish Friday, announcing a long-term carriage deal with the country's biggest distributor. Comcast will carry the channel at its Aug. 14 launch on its expanded basic tier within SEC territory and digital basic outside of it. Sources say the channel's rate card is at $1.40 per subscriber per month within the SEC's 11-state footprint and $0.25 per month outside of it. (FOXSPORTS.com, 7/17).

Reaction Score
WVU is not desirable at all to the ACC or anyone really. Tiny state with very low aging population that is actually decreasing:

https://blog.stewart.com/stewart/2018/12/21/u-s-state-population-changes-2017-to-2018/

They were ranked #51 out of 51 in population growth. Most city DMAs are bigger than the entire state population of West Virginia. The only plus for them is geography, but as everyone knows that's pretty much out the window in conference realignment. They're fine in the Big 12 because they don't have a network.

Reaction Score
I don't think the ACC will expand until ND decides to go all in as #15. #16 will be whoever ND wants.

Reaction Score
That's common "board think"...

But I think it will be who the President's agree on...with the guidance of their media partner.

Reaction Score
That's common "board think"...

But I think it will be who the President's agree on...with the guidance of their media partner.
That’s correct. You are just leaving off the part where the Presidents and media partner agreements will be made with two eyes on the Irish to give a nod of approval.

Reaction Score
The Irish have no options until 1936...zippo options.

If they want to join a conference, it must be the ACC...and, IF they want to join, they come from a position of need...not strength.

Reaction Score
They have needs. The ACC has needs. Those needs won’t disappear in 2037. And the fact is the Irish will have more options than we will. Traditional football powers with eyeballs aren’t exactly knocking a path to our door.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 4h4 hours ago
Just got off the phone with BTM.

I will tweet later this evening his thoughts on the new Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren and PAC 12 developments with PAC NewCo.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 49m49 minutes ago
BTM

“Kevin Warren wasn’t a name anyone had on the tips of their lips through this process. The guy is all class and will probably be in the new seat for many years to come.”

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 47m47 minutes ago
BTM

“Warren has negotiated contracts as Viking’s COO in all kinds of different business spheres. Warren also knows marketing and markets in selling sports licenses.”

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 44m44 minutes ago
BTM

“Perception inside Big Ten of whom I spoken with since yesterday is the selection of Warren really helps with the transition of passing Delany’s torch to Warren who is believed to be perfect guy in working with an established B1G staff in Chicago.”

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 40m40 minutes ago
BTM

“Any COO of an NFL franchise as the requisite experience in managing relationships with Media Corporations. Warren has had to deal with FOX Sports over his career with the Minnesota Vikings”

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 34m34 minutes ago
BTM

“Big Ten’s perception, of those who’ve I talked with in regards to PAC 12’s initial Rain Group’s list of offers in Investment Firms investing into PAC NewCo, is its pretty dam ugly for PAC.”

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 31m31 minutes ago
BTM

“Many believe, of course this is only the perception of those on the outside (B1G), the PAC will kick the issue down the road some and not vote for an investment offer in June as scheduled”

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 27m27 minutes ago
BTM

“Dam ugly is the phrased used in describing to me the offers PAC received from the Rain Group who search for investment offers. I presumed the “ugly” adjective has to do with high equity margin, percentage needed for PAC to secure any of the deals, but I’m not sure.”

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 24m24 minutes ago
BTM

“Desperation in PAC might actually lead to some disunity which I never thought was in play before this event. But some in PAC may be desperate enough to lurch for and support internally some of these painful Investment offers.”

CL82

Reaction Score
Perception inside Big Ten of whom I spoken with since yesterday is the selection of Warren really helps with the transition of passing Delany’s torch to Warren"

Well you can't argue with the logic of that.

Reaction Score
Oregon and USC are going to bolt to the Mountain West!

Think bigger.

USC, UCLA, Stanford and Cal bolt to the Big Ten. They get east coast exposure they desperately crave and a fat paycheck. The Big Ten gets richer, 4 AAU universities, and the fertile recruiting grounds of California, while becoming a nationwide super conference.

Reaction Score

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 22m22 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush @NebGradDubDub

It’s being reported tonight by SBJ that PAC won’t vote on any Investment offers in June as was planned but decision will be made in months. It sounds like PAC will take one of these deals with a huge equity cost associated with it.

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 20m20 minutes ago
I just hope USC, UCLA, Stanford, Washington & Oregon are making the right decision.

To give up so much equity for the long term is really wagering heavily on your 2024 Total Media package deal. PAC must have some new Media Comp telling them they will be involved in PAC content.

‏ @Expansion_Crush 18m18 minutes ago
Replying to @flugempire @theDudeofWV @NebGradDubDub
They're overreacting. They're looking for a short term cash infusion. Scott has let the conference down

Greg Flugaur‏ @flugempire 1m1 minute ago
I agree. There are 2 things we don’t know.

1) Does PAC knowingly have ace up their sleeve in 2024 with a new media partner (Amazon for example)

2) Pressure of many PAC schools to obtain cash right now to fund much needed projects (facility)..etc..debt payment..etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom