Non-Key Tweets | Page 502 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The good news is it sounds like if the Big12 expands it is going to be based on the numbers. What numbers you ask? Well, whether Big12 expansion increases the chances of a playoff appearance, whether expansion increases total revenue for the existing 10 programs, whether expansion increases the possibility for a network, and whether expansion increases the likelihood the Big12 can survive in the future?

If the answer to the above questions is "yes - or at least mostly yes" then a pure numbers driven approach directly benefits UConn. Whether it is DMA, athletic budgets, academics, athletic success or name recognition UConn will rank at the top of the G5 list.

What UConn does not want is an ACC-like approach which involves Presidents voting for the teams they like or selecting a program based on the President/AD who builds the best personal relationship. UConn was always a P5 programs by the numbers...the only difference is the ACC did not use numbers as the penultimate decider. I don't think the Big12 is making the same error.

IMO the Big12 is handling potential expansion in a pure business manner and UConn is good for business. I completely understand why some BY posters are scared because we've been crushed before. That said, everything this time indicates the decision making metrics for the Big12 are exactly what UConn wants....a pure numbers driven assessment.

There is a reason posts are coming out of Memphis and other schools claiming "no one watches UConn football" or equally ridiculous subjective arguments. The reason is if you can't win with the cards in front of you then you need to change the game. UConn should have the cards in this game.

Personally I am more afraid the Big12 will not expand as opposed to the Big12 expanding and UConn not being selected. Maybe that will make the ball kick even more unbearable...

It's easy to forget what the leagues need at any given varies by the league and the time. The B1G had secured Nebraska and Penn State. It could afford to focus purely on markets with Rutgers and Maryland. It likely can't do that again.

The ACC had been struggling in football. FSU hadn't bounced back and Clemson couldn't break through. VT was/is in a big down cycle. So was Miami. BC sucked. UNC sucked. UVA sucked. UConn was the right school in every way, except that the ACC was desperate for anyone who could upgrade the football SOS. The basketball strength helped make it an easier decision. If that expansion happened now? Post UL scandal and with FSU and Clemson looking very strong? UConn gets the call.

The Big XII has a puny market footprint. The academics are middling and other than UT they struggle to recruit (students not athletes) outside their region. If you listen to Boren, he's talking about elevating OU, the university. The sports brand value and network DMA value needs to be there, but sports are also the general marketing department for these schools. I think New England/NY area HS kids are very sought after. That simply wasn't a need for UNC, Duke, GT, UVA, WF or Miami.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 1h1 hour ago
The Big 12 will not vote to expand in May. The preeminent topic is still a network. No consensus on G5 candidates = not enough votes.

A 4-5% boast in playoffs odds not enough to offset pain of dividing into divisions or slight loss.

At this point any expansion without a network is only possible with 2 football-only additions.

Texas, Texas Tech & TCU will not vote for expansion & that's not a new development. That's been true for over a year.

Texas is against adding ANY G5 school (maybe other than BYU) and the Red Raiders & Frogs are following their lead.

At this point Texas is not keen on a Big 12 network but hopefully that will change once the Chancelors & presidents meet.

The data, at least from Navigate has been known for a few weeks & was behind the recent comments against expansion.

What's also not known (at least by me) is how the identity of possible additions affect playoff probability.

Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV The little fish attaching themselves to the fin of the shark. Post B12 will be difficult for majority of B12 leftovers.

@DooleyMcStitch Hopefully it's just positioning prior to the meetings.

@DooleyMcStitch My solution: go to 14. Add 2 full members & BYU & Boise/Other school for football only.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 59m59 minutes ago
Texas continues to believe if they win the Big 12 without a CCG they will always make the playoffs.

Garrett Weiss ‏@StrengthOfSpear 1h1 hour ago
@theDudeofWV funny the frog's don't want any G5 schools

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 59m59 minutes ago
@StrengthOfSpear TCU owes Texas. So they are following UT's lead.

Trip Manfro ‏@pfac51 59m59 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV Call me when Texas football makes the Final Four

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV
@pfac51 We both know a B12 champ Texas has the cachet to make the playoffs. Longhorns are CFB royalty right up there with USC & Bama.

'lsi M ‏@ki676love 57m57 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @DooleyMcStitch No P5 has ever added a football only school. Never happened never will. Big East was pathetic fb conference

@ki676love @DooleyMcStitch If the B12 offers BYU & Boise a football only membership they take it.

'lsi M ‏@ki676love 52m52 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @DooleyMcStitch they would but they'll never do football only. They won't adopt G5 practices now. Its a fundamental change

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 48m48 minutes ago
@ki676love @DooleyMcStitch Big 12 football only money would be over $20M each year. I'm guessing that's 4x what BYU gets & more for BSU.

'lsi M ‏@ki676love 46m46 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @DooleyMcStitch BYU would jump at it. I'm saying B12 will never do football only. There's nothing to say they would do it ever

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 44m44 minutes ago
@ki676love @DooleyMcStitch Limits travel, eliminates lost revenue. Actually increases revenue for a few years.

'lsi M ‏@ki676love 37m37 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @DooleyMcStitch I'm not opposed to football only. If they never did football only, Big 8, SWC, or B12, why would they start?

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 45m45 minutes ago
@ki676love @DooleyMcStitch Yes they would. Solves some issues. Provides better football programs that arguably improve product.

'lsi M ‏@ki676love 40m40 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @DooleyMcStitch solves some issues but hurts image & perceptions. Perception is everything in CFP & recruiting & prestige

Boomer17 ‏@Boomer145 57m57 minutes ago
Boomer17 Retweeted Christopher Lambert

Accurate for only #OU & #UT...the rest of the league will get left out 8 out of 10 times realistically.

@Boomer145 Does Texas care about the other 8? A CCG makes their road to the playoffs tougher.

Boomer17 ‏@Boomer145 49m49 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV Exactly. Sad part is the TCU's and TTU's of the world are blindly following Texas to their own detriment. TCU already saw it.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 19m19 minutes ago
A reliable source has just told me the data from Navigate Research, contrary to popular opinion, does not support Big 12 expansion.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 17m17 minutes ago
According to the same source the Big 12 will not expand without an INCREASE in revenues.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 16m16 minutes ago
He confirmed that a network will be the preeminent topic of discussion during the meetings in late May.

Storrs South ‏@UConn6thBorough 15m15 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV is this without a network?

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 5m5 minutes ago
@UConn6thBorough Yes. Expansion without a network virtually offers no benefit.

Tuxedo Yoda ‏@TuxedoYoda 3h3 hours ago
Tuxedo Yoda Retweeted Navigate Research

Looking like B12 will stop at 12. UCF is in. Who gets invited, UConn or Cinci ?!?

Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 3h3 hours ago
@TuxedoYoda UConn should be a lock. #1 in majority of metrics of all G5 schools. Brand, AD budget/revenue, TVs, Academics, Athletic success

Tuxedo Yoda ‏@TuxedoYoda 2h2 hours ago
@DooleyMcStitch No argument from me

Heather DinichVerified account‏@CFBHeather
Big 12 data: Expansion vital to boost CFP hopes

Greg Sw aim ‏@GSw aim 2h2 hours ago
Greg Swaim Retweeted Heather Dinich

#Big12 in a quandry...want to add quality teams, but they don't believe there are any to be added.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 3h3 hours ago
Greg Flugaur Retweeted Heather Dinich

https://mobile.twitter.com/CFBHeather/status/727501817442123776… This is true.Data will be used to buttress the direction(schools)which have most traction. As we stated on Feb 15th

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 14h14 hours ago
.@Enquirer take on Cincinnati and Big 12, but biggest part is belief that 7 Big 12 members favor expansion

From @Enquirer, belief is Texas is getting Texas Tech and TCU to block expansion. Need 8 Big 12 members to approve

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 3h3 hours ago
ICYMI: From @Enquirer, belief is Texas is getting Texas Tech and TCU to block expansion. 7 Big 12 schools support it, but need 8 to approve.

Ed Feng‏@thepowerrank
An analytics firm told the Big 12 to expand to 12 teams and hold a championship game.

Frank the Tank Retweeted Ed Feng

It's easy - With CCG, it's "win and we're in". Without CCG, it's "win and maybe we're in if someone else loses".

Dooley‏@DooleyMcStitch
@frankthetank111 @Enquirer Good ol' Texas politics at play. TT and TCU should be worried if the B12 disbands. Need to attach to UT's hip.

Frank the Tank Retweeted Dooley

Key point is that Baylor is NOT listed. They have a sobering reality that Texas was willing to ditch them for Pac-16

Reaction Score
Texas, Texas Tech & TCU will not vote for expansion & that's not a new development.

Boomer17 ‏@Boomer145 49
m49 minutes ago

@theDudeofWV Exactly. Sad part is the TCU's and TTU's of the world are blindly following Texas to their own detriment. TCU already saw it.

From @Enquirer, belief is Texas is getting Texas Tech and TCU to block expansion. Need 8 Big 12 members to approve

ICYMI: From @Enquirer, belief is Texas is getting Texas Tech and TCU to block expansion. 7 Big 12 schools support it, but need 8 to approve.

Dooley‏@DooleyMcStitch
@frankthetank111 @Enquirer Good ol' Texas politics at play. TT and TCU should be worried if the B12 disbands. Need to attach to UT's hip.

Yesterday, the Cincinnati Enquirer included that little gem in an article and today it has legs.

Today it's in tweets and on message boards everywhere.

It was unsupported by any quotes or facts when it was first thrown against the wall, but it stuck. And if it gets repeated enough times it will be accepted as the gospel truth.

I'm against Cincinnati as an expansion candidate now. They're not even in the conference and their local media is already stirring the pot with unsubstantiated suppositions.

They're like a poor man's Nebraska. I hope we take UConn and anybody but Cincy.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 40m40 minutes ago

Greg Flugaur Retweeted Jeff Jacobs

Yep. In other words....B12 need to stop with their "RC COLA" $2.50 Advertising/Marketing Buget/Plan.

It's time.

Reaction Score
What can say. I'm scared sheetless, the Big 12, will expand and we will get another "winners win, we are winning don't you worry about a thing email."

We may get that email. But if we do there is no reason to think it will be for any reason other than the Big XII believes that there are candidates that help the interests of its members more than we do. All we can do is keep buying tickets, keep going to road games and keep trying to get friends to buy tickets and turn on the games.

Reaction Score
We may get that email. But if we do there is no reason to think it will be for any reason other than the Big XII believes that there are candidates that help the interests of its members more than we do. All we can do is keep buying tickets, keep going to road games and keep trying to get friends to buy tickets and turn on the games.
All true. From a group of 8, I'm the only one getting 2 tickets still. Obviously it's not all due to where CR has left us, but there is very little juice left in the tank. Because of basketball, people got amped up for football games against Pitt and Casey.

I worry that, one of these times, there isn't going to be a "we'll get em tomorrow " moment.

Every time I say I'm done worrying about this,sheet, I get my hopes up.

Reaction Score
Jacobs's tweet about UConn knowing the line between making their case to the B12 and public begging is a not-so-veiled shot from UConn at Ono's Twitter account. Love it.

The trick to being a successful supplicant is to not appear like a supplicant.

Reaction Score
So if the XII wants us, the question becomes can the ACC allow the XII to have its own network and flagship universities for states from which folks commute into New York and DC in a world in which there are five power conferences and life would be easier with four? The Ten can allow it but do they want to allow it?

I want to keep worrying about our distance from the Big XII, but the fact is that it's only with distance that you will get on TV sets in the northeast.

Reaction Score
So if the XII wants us, the question becomes can the ACC allow the XII to have its own network and flagship universities for states from which folks commute into New York and DC in a world in which there are five power conferences and life would be easier with four? The Ten can allow it but do they want to allow it?

I want to keep worrying about our distance from the Big XII, but the fact is that it's only with distance that you will get on TV sets in the northeast.

I think that's basically what Jacobs and his "sources" are implying with his Tweets earlier:

Reaction Score
Neither the ACC nor the Big Ten needs us to have a footprint in metro New York. But if neither of them takes us, they risk sharing metro NY 3 ways (and 4 ways in sports other than football).

If the ACC lets us go to the Big XII, they're really idiotic. If they're not, how close to UConn being invited (assuming our acceptance will be immediate) can they wait?

Reaction Score
Neither the ACC nor the Big Ten needs us to have a footprint in metro New York. But if neither of them takes us, they risk sharing metro NY 3 ways (and 4 ways in sports other than football).

If the ACC lets us go to the Big XII, they're really idiotic. If they're not, how close to UConn being invited (assuming our acceptance will be immediate) can they wait?

The third scenario is that UConn simply does not have the votes to get into the ACC still.

When you consider that BC/SU/Pitt are still probably blocking us out of competitive fears and Clemson and FSU have landing spots in the event the ACC never gets its network and they want to bolt, I don't know that the votes are there for us event if ACC leadership makes the case that they can't afford to invite another competitor into NYC/Northeast.

Reaction Score
The third scenario is that UConn simply does not have the votes to get into the ACC still.

When you consider that BC/SU/Pitt are still probably blocking us out of competitive fears and Clemson and FSU have landing spots in the event the ACC never gets its network and they want to bolt, I don't know that the votes are there for us event if ACC leadership makes the case that they can't afford to invite another competitor into NYC/Northeast.

Each of Syracuse and Pitt want what is in their own best selfish interests. It's hard to believe that it is in their selfish interest to have UConn as a P5 school and the Big XII entrenched in the Northeast if they can keep the XII out by having us in the ACC and not the XII.

I understand why Pitt and Syracuse want us in G5, but if they can't have that you haven't explained how they benefit from having us in the XII instead of the ACC.

Reaction Score
Each of Syracuse and Pitt want what is in their own best selfish interests. It's hard to believe that it is in their selfish interest to have UConn as a P5 school and the Big XII entrenched in the Northeast if they can keep the XII out by having us in the ACC and not the XII.

I understand why Pitt and Syracuse want us in G5, but if they can't have that you haven't explained how they benefit from having us in the XII instead of the ACC.

Fair point.

But I think the third option here - being that UConn doesn't have the votes for an ACC invite right now - is just as feasible of an explanation as UConn not being a realistic candidate for the Big XII when considering why the ACC isn't calling.

Reaction Score
Fair point.

But I think the third option here - being that UConn doesn't have the votes for an ACC invite right now - is just as feasible of an explanation as UConn not being a realistic candidate for the Big XII when considering why the ACC isn't calling.

I don't understand your point. We know UConn won't get in to the ACC right now absent a XII invite. We know that because we haven't announced that the ACC invited us.

My question is at such time as we are going to be P5, what is in it for Syracuse or Pitt to keep us out of the ACC. (There probably is something in it for BC but that's just one voice and not one anyone cares about.)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't understand your point. We know UConn won't get in to the ACC right now absent a XII invite. We know that because we haven't announced that the ACC invited us.

My question is at such time as we are going to be P5, what is in it for Syracuse or Pitt to keep us out of the ACC. (There probably is something in it for BC but that's just one voice and not one anyone cares about.)

Syracuse and BCU should want us either in the AAC or the ACC. The last thing they should want is UConn in a different major conference, because it makes both of them less valuable in future realignment.

Reaction Score

My point is that even if Cuse and Pitt are now suddenly Pro-UConn (which I concede to your point they likely would be), the possibility exists that UConn still doesn't have the votes to get into the ACC even if the threat of the Big 12 entering the northeast is staring them directly in the face.

So the idea that if UConn is really about to become P5, the ACC would come calling is not necessarily true if we don't have the votes to get that ACC invite. A Big XII invite pending or in hand doesn't necessarily trigger a call from the ACC if they don't have the votes to extend us an invite (which I think is entirely possible).

There are tons of factions now in the ACC and assuming for the moment that it takes 12 ACC schools to vote for admission (80%) it's not not inconceivable to believe that there are 4 schools who still don't want us enough to shoot the entire conference in the foot.

I mean all it would take to keep UConn from getting an ACC invite - even with a Big 12 one in hand - is BC and three of the football powers (FSU, Clemson and Georgia Tech) to say no. Totally plausible.

Reaction Score
The same dynamics working for the UConn invite for the Big 12 (hopefully a cable box win for the Big 12) may not be as operative for the ACC.

Especially since it would have to be a two team addition with no promise of a network. And I really don't believe that the Big 12 is in much better shape for a network...with the LHN...and Sooner Sports both having to be bought back and a lot of flyover footprint.

The battle over UConn is between the B1G and the Big 12...IMHO

Reaction Score
If the ACC thought we were going to another P5 they would be required to grap us immediately. Especially if that other conference already had a significant NY presence.
Either were not in anyone's P5 plans or at the minimum we're a long shot. At least by the accessment of the ACC movers and shakers.
I don't think the ACC is stupid.

Reaction Score
If the ACC thought we were going to another P5 they would be required to grap us immediately. Especially if that other conference already had a significant NY presence.
Either were not in anyone's P5 plans or at the minimum we're a long shot. At least by the accessment of the ACC movers and shakers.

"Required"

Seriously? Of all the kind of unsubstantiated claims you can make, you're going with that?

Also, who says the ACC isn't that stupid? This is a conference that:

• Let the B1G walk right into their backyards in DC and NYC and set up shop.
  • Invited an incredibly corrupt athletic program in a worthless DMA because they strung together a couple of good football seasons in a row.
  • Invited a small, catholic school with a limited history of athletic success who doesn't even own their own City let alone their own region to join Miami and V-Tech at a time when numerous other programs were available.
  • Watched how badly Notre Dame used and abused the Big East, then decided that they needed to make an identical deal with them.
  • Has failed to get a TV Network deal done for years, despite being the first movers in CR.

If you asked me, the ACC is most definitely THAT stupid.

Reaction Score
M. David Rudd is University of Memphis President:

Dr. M. David Rudd ‏@UofMemphisPres
May 1
Why U of M and Tiger athletics matter locally and nationally. Great story. Compelling data. Sharing it this week! pic.twitter.com/MwbM9G2Eoy

Dr. M. David Rudd ‏@UofMemphisPres May 1
More data on why Memphis matters. pic.twitter.com/ZIZXSC5eZM

Dr. M. David Rudd ‏@UofMemphisPres 13h13 hours ago
pic.twitter.com/bWiUIlt6D7

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...bies-possible-big-12-expansion-spot/83881902/

Reaction Score

They are very smart either. Fact is they can wait until the very last moment if they this BIG 12 wants us. They can call the morning of the scheduled announcement press conference and we would have to listen.

Reaction Score
Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 5h5 hours ago
A reliable source has just told me the data from Navigate Research, contrary to popular opinion, does not support Big 12 expansion.

Storrs South ‏@UConn6thBorough 5h5 hours ago
@theDudeofWV is this without a network?

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 5h5 hours ago
@UConn6thBorough Yes. Expansion without a network virtually offers no benefit.

Storrs South ‏@UConn6thBorough 4h4 hours agoManhattan, NY
@theDudeofWV ok just making sure and also makes sense (same pot, more mouths to feed)

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 4h4 hours ago
@UConn6thBorough How do you take 12 schools - with 3 of them geographically isolated & fairly divide into 2 divisions?

Storrs South ‏@UConn6thBorough 4h4 hours agoManhattan, NY
@theDudeofWV an approximate east and west with OU and UT separated

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 6h6 hours ago
The Big 12 will not vote to expand in May. The preeminent topic is still a network. No consensus on G5 candidates = not enough votes.

Mike Ross ‏@Mike_ohio26 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV you can't have a viable network without expansion.....

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 2h2 hours ago
@Mike_ohio26 Yes. 100% accurate. 10 members not enough inventory. Nor is 12 if you look at the B1G & SEC.

Mike Ross ‏@Mike_ohio26 2h2 hours ago
@theDudeofWV so if a network is the "preeminent" obviously that would include expansion in the discussion....

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 40m40 minutes ago
Thinking out loud: What if the U of Houston is the best chance for the long term viability of the B12? Don't react emotionally. Think...

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 38m38 minutes ago
Maybe the best chance to have a network & expand would be for the Texas State govt to force UT to play nice. That means UH in the Big 12.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 38m38 minutes ago
Don't react emotionally. Think how best to change UT's hard no to a yes

Dennis DoddVerified account‏@dennisdoddcbs
Since March, B12 ADs have seen scheduling models for future that include 8 and 9 conf games and a 16 team league.

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 19m19 minutes ago
Frank the Tank Retweeted Dennis Dodd

Sooooo... Big 12 supposedly doesn't like any 2 schools for expansion, but then they'll just invite everyone?

an Wolken ‏@DanWolken 19m19 minutes ago
University of Memphis lobbies for possible Big 12 expansion spot http://usat.ly/26Qf1ab via @usatoday

Tim Brando ‏@TimBrando 17m17 minutes ago
@DanWolken @USATODAY Very foolish IMO. The American Athletic Conference has upside,and more $ than others outside the so called Autonomous 5

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 16m16 minutes ago
@TimBrando Even though it’s clearly been the best of the Group of Five, school in the American would kill to go to the Big 12 right now.

Tim BrandoVerified account‏@TimBrando
.@DanWolken Schools in the AAC had better understand how good they've got it. West Virginia was a reach, and Memphis, UCONN, Cinn. are too.

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 10m10 minutes ago
Frank the Tank Retweeted Tim Brando

I have no allegiance with any AAC team, but absolutely no one can even think about turning down a Big 12 invite.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom