Non-Key Tweets | Page 500 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
C'mon Billybud...it is not that tough to figure out.

The ACC adopted a direct sales model with ESPN as their sole purchaser. When issues like conference expansion arose, the ACC selected the programs which allowed them to maximize direct sales to ESPN while increasing the ACC football pedigree/increasing the chance of an ACC playoff appearance

At the time the ACC decided on a direct sales model the jury was out on the financial effect of conference networks. The jury is back now and the networks are crushing the direct sales model. Unfortunately the ACC was never built to form a network and you cannot redesign a car once it is build. There is a winner and loser in every business decision and the direct sales model is not as profitable as the network model.

ESPN needs the ACC for content especially now that the BIG is off ESPN. I'm not sure how ESPN could put the ACCN on a separate channel. What would ESPN show on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU? Isn't ESPN's prime content a lot of ACC games now?

Best case scenario for the ACC is ESPN ponies up more money for ACC games. Certainly ESPN needs the ACC more than ever so maybe they'll pay a little more. Maybe ESPN converts a channel (ESPNN) to an "ACCN" but it won't be with a network-like fee increase. IMO putting the ACC on ESPNNews and calling it "the ACC network" is nothing more than a PR move for the ACC who can then claim to have a network too.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@dwalks93 Let me offer an alternative narrative. The ACC had become the weakest of the Big 6 conferences. It allied itself with ESPN in order to fund expansion to weaken its major competitor on the East coast. It's first effort failed, so it had to keep going back the ESPN to fund multiple attempts. ESPN bought the ACCs inventory, in the hopes that by destroying the Big East, ESPN would profit as the ACC thrived without competition. The ACC has nothing left to sell.

I liken it to a struggling dairy farmer selling off top soil so that he keep his farm. Early on it works well, bringing an influx of cash that makes the farm look profitable. Eventually though the amount land sold impacts the performance of the already questionable core business. The only option left is keep selling soil since the land won't support the cows. Eventually, the only thing left is a hole in the ground. That's where the ACC is now. They have nothing left to sell.

Reaction Score
CL82 I really enjoy your posts and I think your point has merit.

I completely agree the ACC's initial plan was no more complicated than to destroy the Big East. IMO the ACC wanted to eliminate the BE's automatic BCS bid and wanted to be the dominate conference on the east coast. However the ACC needed to destroy and absorb the BE territory and that is where the ACC wheels came off.

Destroying the BE was easy but, once it was fractured, the ACC did not recruit/retain critical programs. Where would the ACC be as far as a network if they had UConn, Rutgers, Maryland, and WVU? The above programs may not significantly increase the perception of the ACC's football competitiveness but they could have been the core of an ACC network in the mid-Atlantic and NE.

The ACC took the "dollar in hand" approach. Allowed the ACC football schools to dictate short term payouts instead of strategic building is what will eventually lead to ACC programs with option leaving.

I think the ACC still has valuable programs to sell but they can only sell their product to one distributor (ESPN) and ESPN sets the price. The ACC this year will probably make more media money than they ever have before...but it will be half of the SEC/BIG.

Ironically many of the most attractive ACC programs will probably mimic any bubble market. Make as much money as you can in the short term and then get into a more stable profitable conference when possible.

Reaction Score
If it is all about money, and a team's football program is ranked by the AD revenue...$$$ may become uber important. Texas will be #1 every year.

But, if it is about having winning sports in a conference....other factors are more important.

When Minnesota, Georgia or South Carolina wins a NC in football, I'll worry.

Until then, I'll enjoy watching the Noles knowing that they have as much chance as most at making a run.

Reaction Score
Vegas odds right now on 2016 NC....have Clemson and FSU at a level with Ohio State and Michigan...and above all the other Big Ten teams. As well as above SEC teams other than Alabama (who have the lowest odds of course).

If recruiting falls off in a big way, things could change. But it isn't at present. And it doesn't look like it will in the near future.

Although FSU just set a NCAA record for draftees over a three year period, 2013-14-15, 2016 is not a rebuilding year. That was last year. The caution is that FSU will play a tough schedule (early on ranked #3 by 247 sports)

"Among teams from Power Five leagues, seven of the 10 easiest schedules will be played by teams from the Big Ten Conference, while two ACC teams and one Big 12 team make up the rest of the top 10.

Here's a look at the 10 toughest and easiest schedules for the 2016 season among Power Five conference teams, according to FPI.

Toughest 2016 schedules

1. Southern Cal
2. Ole Miss
3. Florida State
4. California
5. Alabama

Easiest 2016 schedules

1. Minnesota
2. Michigan
3. Purdue
4. Maryland
5. Nebraska

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If it is all about money, and a team's football program is ranked by the AD revenue...$$$ may become uber important. Texas will be #1 every year.

But, if it is about having winning sports in a conference....other factors are more important.

Until then, I'll enjoy watching the Noles knowing that they have as much chance as most at making a run.

You are looking at it the wrong way, you start to worry when FSU has as much of a chance as Minnesota, Georgia or South Carolina.

That being said, I don't think FSU is in any sort of danger. You all never have to leave the state to recruit and the only challenge you have to state supremacy is UF.

Reaction Score
...while it is true that FSU recruits Florida heavily...

FSU's 2016 class had recruits committing from 10 different states and FSU's roster is about 39% out of state.

Reaction Score
I figure I might get another decade of watching football (until 80)...unless I am inordinately lucky.

Too late to sell....I bought in pretty low in the late 60's....I never thought that FSU would play for a NC. Everything at this point is gravy.

I am not particularly worried about the conference superiority wars. I could care less about the conference, only that the team I have cheered for can play on the big stage, on TV.

Reaction Score
I am not particularly worried about the conference superiority wars. I could care less about the conference, only that the team I have cheered for can play on the big stage, on TV.

Well there ya go. If the Big Ten comes knocking, might as well listen. That's what I'm talking about with "selling".

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
There is no honor amongst thieves. Swofford was called "a visionary" and was "ahead of the curve." He wasn't. He was a hatchet man. He did ESPN's bidding and killed the Big East. I don't think he made many decisions himself. Always a pawn of Tobacco Road and he was probably told he had to take Miami by ESPN. Shalala wanted BC and he had VT forced on him. Then, the 2nd time around, He took Syracuse and was coerced into taking Pitt and the of course ND came knocking with their proverbial "sweet deal". I picture Swofford smugly thinking he pulled a fast one cutting his son and Raycom into the action. How sweet it is to think that that brilliant Swofford move is a key stumbling block to getting a network from his "benefactor" ESPN.

The puppet master itself, ESPN, ignores the ACC and goes and creates the SEC network and starts the Long Horn Network only to find out that its customer base is quickly eroding. The LHN is a disaster for ESPN and although the SEC network is good for the SEC it is considerably less so for ESPN. The ABC/ESPN/Disney empire is big enough to survive ESPN's poor vision and has the resources to stay afloat while it refocuses but not without the puppet master getting his peepee slapped. Not so for Swofford and his ACC. Once again, the steely knives are out and the ACC is vulnerable.

Personally, I hope they get gutted and fileted.

ESPN deserves worse.

Reaction Score

Let's hope the tide is changing to 24x7x365 content and a conference network which includes a hefty portion of the advertising dollars.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
or he's hired hitmen. It could be either one.
You actually think Fishy would pay someone to do something he would enjoy doing himself?

Reaction Score
Toughest 2016 schedules

1. Southern Cal
2. Ole Miss
3. Florida State
4. California
5. Alabama

After the recent 2016 NFL Draft, I think Ole Miss has a lot more to worry about than its SOS for next season, like trying to avoid getting mugged by the NCAA. While they are in the SEC, they are not Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, etc. and, in fact after the recent success that they have had against some of the SEC heavyweights, especially Alabama, I doubt many tears would if they get hammered.

Where there's smoke ... there's the Ole Miss NFL draft Class of 2016

Reaction Score
Well there ya go. If the Big Ten comes knocking, might as well listen. That's what I'm talking about with "selling".

Yeah...since 23 of my years as a fan since I began at FSU were as an Independent....I have just now gotten used to the conference thing.

I have traveled to Nebraska, Ohio State and Michigan games but missed the games in Lansing. My dad was a Michigan grad and I did post grad at Wisconsin. The family farm on my father's side, since 1856, has been a little south of Neenah, Wi. My ancestors, including father and brother, are buried up there.

But I am a southerner. As much as I enjoyed beating Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, and Indiana, these OOC games felt more like bowls. I do not like the loss of geographic meaningfulness. That's why I despise the lumping of Syracuse, Boston, Pitt, et al in the ACC.

Rivalries are built on a certain proximity...neighboring states or within state. Ohio State- Michigan, FSU-Florida,
FSU-Miami, Alabama-Auburn....

Is beating Florida or Miami a hell of a lot more important than beating any one else on the schedule? You bet.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="billybud, post: 1682563, member: 3850"
But I am a southerner. As much as I enjoyed beating Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, and Indiana, these OOC games felt more like bowls. I do not like the loss of geographic meaningfulness. That's why I despise the lumping of Syracuse, Boston, Pitt, et al in the ACC.

Rivalries are built on a certain proximity...neighboring states or within state. Ohio State- Michigan, FSU-Florida,
FSU-Miami, Alabama-Auburn....

Is beating Florida or Miami a hell of a lot more important than beating any one else on the schedule? You bet.[/QUOTE]

Billybud I completely agree with your assessment regarding rivalries and conference realignment. It is the proximity and rivalries which makes college sports great. IMO the big loser throughout conference realignment has been the fans.

Conference realignment was never about improving the games for the fans or even improving the competitiveness. Dumb fans will scream "football drove realignment" without understanding it is really the money driving realignment and there just happens to be more money in football.

All that said, the most predatory of all the conferences has been the ACC. The ACC ripped apart the natural rivalries in the NE without regards to the programs or fans. And yes, the Big East programs were stupid to not stick together but it was the ACC which systemically dismantled the BE. To use an analogy, the ACC killed the parents (Big East) and separated the kids, allowing some to be rescued and dooming the rest to life alone and separated.

Listening to ACC fans now complain about potentially losing their rivalries is the ultimate hypocrisy. Did the ACC care about Syracuse-UConn when they blew up the BE? No but suddenly the prospect of losing UNC-Duke is an outrage? Losing FSU-Miami may seem an outrage to fans in Florida but I am sure to the fans of WVU-Pitt "the backyard brawl" is an equally huge loss.

The ACC was a true invader and it would be poetic justice if they lose critical programs from a similar invasion. It is hard to play the victim when one was first the assailant. I am just perplexed that fans in the ACC never considered what their conference was doing to other schools until the shoe was on the other foot. The problem with starting a war in a neighboring country is it eventually spills over the border. I don't think the ACC will receive a lot of sympathy on the BY as we've watched what the ACC did to UConn and our rivalries.

Separating the ACC from its fans, I do feel sorry for the ACC fans. They deserve better than what they will probably get. But "deserve" has nothing to do with this...this is about money.

FSU will be fine and may even further prosper but it probably won't be with all its former rivals. Sadly this is the new world of college sports and there is no going back.

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN 2h2 hours ago
Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said data from Navigate Research indicates a football title game improves playoff chances by 4-5 percent.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 2h2 hours ago
@ChuckCarltonDMN Chuck, 4-5% probability increase doesn't justify expansion without a network & increased revenues.

@ChuckCarltonDMN Any idea on the projections concerning B12N earnings & the $15M threshold necessary for UT?

@ChuckCarltonDMN Logic says UT would allow B12N if kept whole. But is there enough $ left over to justify expansion for the others?

@ChuckCarltonDMN Also have to point out that losing a CCG decreases odds of losing team making playoffs by 100%.

@ChuckCarltonDMN So -100% >> +4-5%.

Expansion_crush ‏@Expansion_Crush 2h2 hours agoAtlanta, IN
@ChuckCarltonDMN Which means add 2 to 4 teams or the BXII will be constituted by different schools in 2024?

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 1h1 hour ago
@Expansion_Crush @ChuckCarltonDMN what no one is saying is that expansion without increased $ does as much to doom B12 as doing nothing.

Expansion_crush ‏@Expansion_Crush 1h1 hour agoAtlanta, IN
@theDudeofWV @ChuckCarltonDMN get to 12 then see what shakes with the other P5. 12 seems to be the natural number to sustain a conference

Andy smith ‏@Doctor_alesmith 1h1 hour agoBeachwood, OH
@Expansion_Crush @theDudeofWV @ChuckCarltonDMN so Nebraska Iowa to the b12

@theDudeofWV @ChuckCarltonDMN I think the BXII can still monetize on some things yet. CCG added markets etc

@theDudeofWV @ChuckCarltonDMN Then the BXII is in a bad place either way of that's what it boils down to. But I don't think it's inevitable.

@theDudeofWV @ChuckCarltonDMN I mean they will likely add 2 to 4 teams. Adding markets and recruiting areas close to the east coast helps.

@theDudeofWV @ChuckCarltonDMN UCONN and Cincy would easily pay for themselves while adding recruiting and marketing areas

@Expansion_Crush @ChuckCarltonDMN Big 12 can only expand if the $ justifies doing so.

@theDudeofWV @ChuckCarltonDMN I believe it will in the shadow of the recent Big Ten contract rumors.

@Expansion_Crush @ChuckCarltonDMN what no one is saying is that expansion without increased $ does as much to doom B12 as doing nothing.

RedDirtSport‏@RedDirtSport
Everything Boren has been stumping for is apparently best for the league If your AD sides with the LHN what happens next isn't OU's fault

Omega Supreme‏@OmegaSupreme914
Omega Supreme Retweeted RedDirtSport

Say it again! @Expansion_Crush

Expansion_crush ‏@Expansion_Crush 46m46 minutes agoAtlanta, IN
@OmegaSupreme914 @RedDirtSport OU looks at the separation of some schools and sees themselves being treated like less than peers.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 45m45 minutes ago
@Expansion_Crush @OmegaSupreme914 @RedDirtSport That's a stretch. Take a look at OU's revenues.

Expansion_crush ‏@Expansion_Crush 43m43 minutes agoAtlanta, IN
@theDudeofWV @OmegaSupreme914 @RedDirtSport Only in regards to T1.

RedDirtSport ‏@RedDirtSport 45m45 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush @OmegaSupreme914 We're fine now. We won't be after 10 years of this horseshit

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 43m43 minutes ago
@RedDirtSport @Expansion_Crush @OmegaSupreme914 OU wants the B12 to survive because the B12 is best for OU.

RedDirtSport ‏@RedDirtSport 42m42 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush @OmegaSupreme914 No. OU wants the Big 12 to adapt or we'll old yeller this bitch. Play time is over

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 40m40 minutes ago
@RedDirtSport @Expansion_Crush @OmegaSupreme914 Be careful of emotional analysis.

RedDirtSport ‏@RedDirtSport 39m39 minutes ago
@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush @OmegaSupreme914 added TCU over drunk cowboys. Boren has been analytical. Time to turn up heat

Jake TrotterVerified account‏@Jake_Trotter
Bowlsby: data from the consultant league hired shows having 12 teams w/ an 8-game conference schedule is best league model for reaching CFP

Chris Anderson ‏@CMAnderson247 55m55 minutes ago
Chris Anderson Retweeted Jake Trotter

But will the Big12 actually do something about it?

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 47m47 minutes ago
@CMAnderson247 @Jake_Trotter But only increase chances 4-5%.

Reaction Score
I love how The Dood comes up with these nonsensical figures. I'll try one as they seem fun. There's a 4-5% probability that The Dood is not actually an escaped mental patient tweeting from the phone of some guy named Christoper Lambert tied up in the trunk of his car.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 3h3 hours ago
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/25575360/big-12-learns-what-we-all-knew-12-teams-title-game-are-best-for-league… This is exactly what our OU contacts anticipated....and UCONN/UC have most traction without Data input..

.....OU contacts anticipate (tweeted on Feb 15th) Data will be used to buttress options with most B12 traction.

That being said....nothing has changed perception of OU contacts strong perception...UC/UCONN number 11/12 of newly reformed B12

J ‏@UCONNfan14 3h3 hours ago
@flugempire how are you feeling about this UCONN and UC to big 12 now? I see random people post the list of 4 from jan 3 uconn uc UM UH

@UCONNfan14 Nothing has changed. UC/UCONN since Feb 15th -

Jared Kotler ‏@JaredKotler 3h3 hours ago
@flugempire when would expected start date be?

@JaredKotler I have dinner with BTM next Saturday...but it has always been put to us FB season of 2017. Maybe OU contacts are wrong on this

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 2h2 hours ago
@JaredKotler Maybe OU contacts were too optimistic...maybe they were flat out wrong and we will take the flaming..some say "18"..we say "17"

So let me get this straight...there has people (Boren+ me + others) been saying B12 EXP + CCG + 8 Conf games increase odds of playoffs...

and those(you know who)who've been saying B12CCG would decrease odds,now those same people are bitching it to only increase playoffs 5%?LOL!

Greg Flugaur Retweeted RedDirtSport

https://mobile.twitter.com/RedDirtSport/status/727255904907726848… For those who called Boren senile when he spoke out that B12 must reform....shame on you. And how stupid of you.

Reaction Score
M. David Rudd is University of Memphis President:

Dr. M. David Rudd ‏@UofMemphisPres
May 1
Why U of M and Tiger athletics matter locally and nationally. Great story. Compelling data. Sharing it this week! pic.twitter.com/MwbM9G2Eoy

Dr. M. David Rudd ‏@UofMemphisPres May 1
More data on why Memphis matters. pic.twitter.com/ZIZXSC5eZM

Dr. M. David Rudd ‏@UofMemphisPres 13h13 hours ago
pic.twitter.com/bWiUIlt6D7

Swearingen20 6:36pm via Twitter for iPhone
@McMurphyESPN hearing it's Memphis & Cincinnati. Memphis is a top 5 tv market for college football & Cincy adds a bridge for West Va

Swearingen20 8:38pm via Twitter for iPhone
@McMurphyESPN UCONN fans..F'ball drives ratings & expansion. U might be a huge tv market but no one watches or goes to UCONN football games

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

May 1
Why U of M and Tiger athletics matter locally and nationally. Great story. Compelling data. Sharing it this week! pic.twitter.com/MwbM9G2Eoy

@McMurphyESPN hearing it's Memphis & Cincinnati. Memphis is a top 5 tv market for college football & Cincy adds a bridge for West Va

@McMurphyESPN UCONN fans..F'ball drives ratings & expansion. U might be a huge tv market but no one watches or goes to UCONN football games
Need a Dooley bat signal for when a Twitter fool needs some educating...

Reaction Score

May 1

This feels like a hail mary from Memphis.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom